Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
getting ready to make the jump from iPhone (6) to Android and am looking for the best deals on an S7 or S7 Edge. What are the best sites to watch for active promotions? I'm not in any great hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm about to jump ship from iPhone 6 to Galaxy S7 and my main concern at the moment is that my older Alpine car stereo won't support Android as far as I can tell.

What is the story with Android support in car stereos these days? The idea of dropping another $200-300 to upgrade my car stereo when the one I have works just fine is a little off-putting. I would only want a single din stereo and something that gives me basic usb play/pause/forward/back/volume controls plus displays the song playing. I guess my fallback can be trying to make bluetooth work or failing that using a 3.5" cable but I don't like the idea that I'd constantly be fumbling with the phone to change songs and such.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Blue Train posted:

last i looked (a few years ago so may be different) the head units would support android but only specific apps like pandora or spotify, and it varies between brands which were supported. on crutchfield the android auto head units were like 4-500 dollars a few months ago lol. I would just get one that supports bluetooth and call it a day if I were you

Really I only care about spotify and stitcher for the most part, guess I'll have to get the phone and give those apps a try.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

GokieKS posted:

Unless you have some ridiculous sound system in your car and need to get the most of FLAC music even in it, just go with BT. It's reliable and works well and the quality is fine for normal people in cars.

yeah, I'm less concerned about BT from a quality standpoint and more concerned from an "it's always been kind of a pain in the rear end to get things paired w/out futzing with it a lot" standpoint. it's been a long time since I've tried it though so I'm sure it's gotten better, also I believe at the time I was trying to use my bt headset for calls while commuting as well so that may have contributed to the problem.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody use the VSCO photo editing app? I just jumped from iOS to Android (s7 edge) and noticed that VSCO on android doesn't give you an option to pick image output size on save. A 3MB initial image I edited and saved to the gallery ended up as a 7MB file and I didn't realize it until I SMS'd it to a friend on an iPhone and he received it really poorly compressed with heavy artifacting.

I'm not sure how much of this is a factor of the file just being too drat big and how much is a factor of sending images from android to ios but I can't figure out how to fix it. VSCO as far as I can tell just doesn't have a resolution option on export on android.

Has anybody run up against this?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Maker Of Shoes posted:

/spends 30 minutes fine tuning 8 meg picture in picture editing app
/mangles the poo poo out of it by letting MMS compress it to 500k

Look, I don't know what handles MMS compression if it's the device or what but my workflow on iPhone was edit in VSCO (20 seconds or so) export as large image (iOS app gives a size option Android apparently doesn't) and then send via mms at large size (iPhone prompts what size you want to send).

That workflow worked for me since first gen iPhone and I never had any issues with things coming out as horribly artifacted as this image I just sent did.

I had no idea the image was 7MB until I dug into it to see why it was so hosed for the recipient. Thankfully Android allows you to see file size, it was something that always bothered me with photos on iPhone.

I'm just looking for an easy workflow to send decent looking images to friends, this wasn't intended to be printed as a poster or anything, it just needs to look alright at a medium resolution. And this particular friend doesn't use Google hangouts or Facebook messenger so he's kind of a Luddite in that regard. I can email him going forward and that's exactly what I ended up doing but it's kind of a pain in the rear end if that's what I have to do now every time I want to share a quick snap with a friend.

I asked because I'm hoping there's a setting I missed or something as the Android ecosystem is brand new to me

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RZA Encryption posted:

Even better solution: using the Google Photos app lets you share it as a link to the high quality version. Then you could send that link over sms or whatever. It works really well.

realistically though 90% of the time the recipient won't need a giant file. I'm alright with some compression at some point, I just don't want to have to do it manually and don't want it to result in images with horrible artifacting

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone recommend a Single DIN car stereo that works well to control their android over USB (just looking for basic controls for spotify etc. play/pause, volume, track skip and display track title)

I haven't used USB for a car stereo in a long time but it used to be sort of a pain and sacrificed audio quality. It it's improved in some substantial way in the last 8 years or so then I'd check it out as well.

My old Alpine head unit apparently isn't compatible with my Galaxy S7 sadly otherwise it's still going strong. It seems like there are so many stereos out there that are made specifically for iPhone.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 27, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Blue Train posted:

they don't sell the one I have anymore but I use something similar to this, assuming you have a USB port and aux port it works fine. a lot cheaper than a new head unit

https://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Br...ZMX78B581KCX6PR

Cool, but it doesn't seem like this would give me the controls through the stereo that I'm looking for as it's through aux.

FunOne posted:

Whats wrong with Bluetooth?

Historically the fidelity wasnt as good as a wired USB connection but like I said it's been several years since I last tried it so I'm willing to give it another shot

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

FunOne posted:

Then wouldn't you want an analog input and not USB? Didn't USB inherit the same issues?

No, a Bluetooth signal is subject to interference, USB sends a straight digital signal to the head unit for the head unit to decode. Dedicated head units can cleanly decode the signal so they are the best quality option.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone recommend a Single DIN car stereo that works well to control their android over USB (just looking for basic controls for spotify etc. play/pause, volume, track skip and display track title)

I haven't used USB for a car stereo in a long time but it used to be sort of a pain and sacrificed audio quality. It it's improved in some substantial way in the last 8 years or so then I'd check it out as well.

My old Alpine head unit apparently isn't compatible with my Galaxy S7 sadly otherwise it's still going strong. It seems like there are so many stereos out there that are made specifically for iPhone.

I've been doing some research into this... man, the car stereo landscape is pretty loving bleak for android support.

I mean, all car stereo brands I feel are falling way way way short of the mark in almost all regards of design & usability but this is what I can tell from what I've seen so far.

• Aptx appears to be the latest hot poo poo for "cd quality" bluetooth playback but it is a proprietary codec that has to be licensed in order to use and it seems that only Kenwood and Clarion care to go that route.
  • Kenwood offers the best support for Android devices including control over USB & the latest/highest quality Bluetooth codec (aptx) in most of their models
  • Alpine doesn't care about black people Android. They are one of the best for Apple control but none of their decks support USB control of Android and their bluetooth specs are older
  • Pioneer offers some nice dual-din decks that can have both Android Auto & Apple Carplay and most of their single din decks apparently support Android usb play but their bluetooth spec is older.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 29, 2016

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

nimper posted:

You're making this way too hard. Just look for the dimensions of the Incipio case you have.

I was actually just looking into that for my S7 Edge. I have a panavise mount that I've used since my first gen iPhone.

I ordered one of these magnetic wireless charging docks because for the price it's worth the gamble.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JLLYRUC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My hope is I can use that in conjunction with a Garmin ball mount plate (assuming the diameter of their ball mount matches).

I'll report back on how well it works if anyone's curious.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so I've been playing with a few SMS apps since jumping from iPhone to S7 a few weeks back. I was enjoying facebook messenger's sms support until realizing I couldn't send photos to sms recipients via facebook messenger from the gallery. I've landed on Google Messenger for now and am enjoying it but I ran into an issue today when I sent a group text to my folks who both have iPhones and my dad replied but I never got the response.

Can anyone tell me if Google Messenger has a known issue with group sms to iOS users? if so is there anything to be done about it short of use a different SMS app?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RVProfootballer posted:

Maybe the same old issue where iMessage keeps sending as if you're still on iOS?@

Any way to remedy this easily?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RVProfootballer posted:

Not sure what the most up to date advice is, but just google "switch to Android iMessage" and you'll get official steps to take and maybe common problems/tips. Here's from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204270

Might be something else, too, but anytime it's an issue of not receiving texts from an iPhone after switching from iPhone to Android, this is probably it.

awesome thanks, I did this.... will see how it works.

a friend was saying with group sms that might not even fix it because if two people are on iOS it can keep triggering to send as iMessage rather than switch over to SMS. He said in the past he's had to delete group conversations and re-start them, uggh.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

I was actually just looking into that for my S7 Edge. I have a panavise mount that I've used since my first gen iPhone.

I ordered one of these magnetic wireless charging docks because for the price it's worth the gamble.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JLLYRUC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My hope is I can use that in conjunction with a Garmin ball mount plate (assuming the diameter of their ball mount matches).

I'll report back on how well it works if anyone's curious.

Yeah, don't buy this, the description is totally misleading. It uses an adhesive pad and isn't remotely magnetic... Back to the drawing board for finding a wireless charging car mount that will work with my panavise bracket.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm pretty new to android in general, I picked up an s7 edge and am running nova but there are still a few tweaks I'd like to make if someone could tell me if tbese are easily accomplished or not.

At the moment I'd love to be able to turn off some of the useless status bar icons that I don't care about like alarm clock (it will always be on because I have a recurring weekly alarm), the Bluetooth icon (I don't care to see it if nothing is connected) and the vibrate ringtone icon (because really who cares).

Is this possible without major hacks?

http://i.imgur.com/g8rEDpr.png

It would also be amazing if I could add some notification icons to the always on display like Google messenger and maybe some other chat alerts (hangouts, Facebook messenger, Gmail, etc)

Is this achievable?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Google is so loving confused... Hangouts works great, is integrated with Gmail, incorporates a non-confusing video chat interface, etc. Why give up on a good thing to chase several other things?

So now we'll have 4 different chat offerings from Google (Hangouts, Messenger, Allo, Duo) in addition to Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Skype, etc. etc. etc. good lord. How long until Trillian resurfaces to group all other chat products together again?

I get everyone wanting their own chat product, I don't get Google feeling like their products are too confusing to users so they have to break them into several new different things so they can cram worthless functionality like stickers and poo poo into them.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thermopyle posted:

The new thing where Google automatically makes the same type of GIFs out of sections of your videos is very cool. Since that's done by Google in the cloud, it should work on any device using Google Photos.

Cool but also annoying as gently caress because there's currently no way to control what part of the video it creates a gif from. I've had several where it used a few seconds immediately before or after the action I would actually want a gif of.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I asked a while back if there was a way to group app notification icons in the status bar on Marshmallow. Someone mentioned it was a feature for Nougat. Can anyone confirm that it is indeed in Nougat? I'll wait for the S7 to get Nougat if that is indeed the case, otherwise I'll find an app to do it hopefully. Sick of having like 4 instagram icons at the top of my status bar constantly.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody have experience with replacing an S7 Edge screen out from warranty? just realizing why curved screens are dumb. looking for where to buy an OEM screen for a reasonable price. Unfortunately replacing just the glass seems like a terrible way to do it as it means delaminating the old glass from the digitizer and praying you do a good glue job. I think the full screen module is the way to go but I can't find the part for under ~$260.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have experience with replacing an S7 Edge screen out from warranty? just realizing why curved screens are dumb. looking for where to buy an OEM screen for a reasonable price. Unfortunately replacing just the glass seems like a terrible way to do it as it means delaminating the old glass from the digitizer and praying you do a good glue job. I think the full screen module is the way to go but I can't find the part for under ~$260.

anybody have a line on well-priced oem replacement screens for me? :cry:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Taffer posted:

Replacing screens on modern phones is really expensive. If it's not under warranty you would be better off just buying a new phone.

well it's like $300 for a new screen vs. $600+ for a new unlocked phone? hmmmmmm

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

seravid posted:

Have you tried contacting Samsung? I read somewhere that they ask around 250$ for the repair. If that price is accurate, replacing the assembly yourself doesn't make sense as it would cost just as much as the official repair and there's no telling how waterproofed the phone would be afterwards.

Replacing just the screen, on the other hand, makes total sense if you like to tinker with stuff and are conscious that you'll probably (but maybe not!) break the display when separating the glass.

I mean the digitzer and screen are fine, it's just the glass that's cracked. The glass is actually a cheap replacement part but it looks like a huge pain in the rear end to delaminate it and then you have to pray you can glue the new screen on without loving up or you're probably looking at bubbles or some poo poo. So the more sure-fire way to do it is to replace the whole screen assembly but that's what costs a shitload.

From what I'm reading Samsung's turn-around time is like a week or longer, that kind of doesn't work super well for me when the alternative is to take it to a local repair shop and pay them $300 to do it in a few hours.

My hope was to find a reasonably priced OEM screen assembly and then bug a coworker who is an engineer and has a lot of experience tinkering with things like this to do it. I'm just not having much luck finding screen assemblies for a decent price.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
been looking into android auto head units and stumbled on this app which basically runs android auto on your phone. figured I'll play with it to get a sense of what it can do. If you use a dash dock for driving with your phone for navigation this is a pretty good way to keep things simple in the car. You can even have it auto-launch under certain conditions and suppress message notifications and what not if you want.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate&hl=en

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Haha, oh poo poo, this must be a pretty outdated app then. Wonder if it has any different functionality

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm an owner of an S7 Edge with a display that has been cracked for like 5 months and rather than pay the $300 replacement cost I've been waiting oh so anxiously for the Pixel 2 release... now that the dust has settled and I've been watching first impression videos I'm kind of disappointed that the non-XL version has such a relatively small display, the phone doesn't have wireless charging, it loses the headphone jack, and the processing speed is substantially slower than the iPhone 8... was it too much to ask for hardware parity at the very least? I almost feel compelled to get the XL to get the smaller bezels but the s7 Edge is already almost too large for my hands and the Pixel 2 XL is larger still... :smith:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thermopyle posted:

I really wish someone who was really in to cameras would do a comparative review of the Pixel (or heck any flagship phone camera) versus a good point-n-shoot.

I feel like for most circumstances the Pixel would be better, but I'm not too confident.

My first thought was to compare the dxomark scores, but it looks like they do smartphones in a separate category from other types of cameras and that the scores aren't something you can compare between those categories.

in my experience where most smart phones fall down is when you're at a higher zoom level, say closer to 1:1 where you begin seeing how poorly most of them handle noise. Low light images are getting better and better with the latest phone cameras but it still falls down if you wanted to make enlargements of any decent size. The other place that cellphones still need a lot of room for improvement in is there's still a lack of any sense of control over the depth of focus. portrait modes are nice parlor tricks but they can't match being able to intentionally select your subject and set it apart from the background in a controlled manner.

That being said, as a "professional" photographer, my phone is perfectly adequate for 95% of my photo needs and I'm very much looking forward to getting my Pixel 2. Point and shoots are dying a slow death for sure.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Did anybody else pre-order and receive their Pixel 2 through OnTrac?

They claimed my phone was delivered on Friday, it wasn't... so now I'm having to deal with OnTrac's terrible customer service to find out where the hell my phone is. Every time I try to call them I can expect to sit on hold for 15-20 minutes and be met with someone who doesn't know anything and can't tell me anything more than "we are waiting to hear back from the driver"

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is there any way to adjust the brightness on the pixel 2 always on display? jumping from S7 to Pixel 2 and I'm disappointed in the lack of customizability so far for the always on display. my main issue is that it's so dim that sitting on my desk I can't read it unless I look at it more directly. I love using Always On for a clock in meetings but it sort of loses functionality with how dim it seems to be.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
There's a setting under notifications for "Hide sensitive notification content"

does anybody know how sensitive content is determined? like if hypothetically I have a group chat going with friends titled "furry concentration camp" and I don't want notifications popping up on my lock screen while I'm in meetings and my phone is on the table is there a way to set up app exceptions?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
awesome, thanks!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been getting some random freezes when opening the camera on my Pixel 2. Has anybody else experienced this? it's inconsistent but sometimes it will hang for a good 10 seconds or more before just crashing out of the app.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can someone point me to a way to rotate through wallpapers automatically on a pixel 2? I wish I could point it to a folder or selection of favorite images and have them change at a regular interval

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Yeah, I've used tapet before and it's great at what it does but I want to just be able to set my own folder of photo wallpapers for rotation, not their patterns.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anyone with a pixel/pixel 2 and a google home tell me how well they integrate? My hope would be to get a google home max to replace my Sonos but my main issue with Sonos is that it's not easy to just "cast" podcasts I'm listening to or youtube videos I'm playing without the app being supported. Spotify works fine and tunein and a lot of other apps but i can't just get out of my car where I was listening to pocketcasts over bluetooth, walk into my house and resume playing on my speaker and that's kind of a big downside over a regular bluetooth speaker.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Eezee posted:

The casting is pretty good, I have a Mini in my bedroom and listen to podcasts while falling asleep. You just have to click on the little button on the top right in pocket casts (https://i.imgur.com/g5kCtCr.jpg ) and you get a list of all devices that you can play your audio on. It doesn't do anything fancy like detecting in which room you are at any moment, but it respects sleep timers and you can control everything from within pocketcasts itself, so that's good enough for me.
If you have a free Aux port on your Sonos, getting a Chromecast Audio would probably be cheaper, if you can bother switching to that input everytime you want to play something.

ahh, good to know.. I should try that button in pocket casts with Sonos, I hadn't noticed it before. No aux port on my Sonos 1 unfortunately.

LastInLine posted:

For me, casting is the biggest draw of Google Homes. They work great and I use it often but that being said, if the Sonos can automatically play off the line-in without you having to do anything to make it do that then the Chromecast Audio would probably be just fine for your use case.

The thing I like about the Home and casting is that (at least for Google Play Music) I can start my casting session without having to interact with a device at all but it doesn't sound like that's a huge draw to you.

The other great thing about Homes is using them to control the lights and the TVs so I'm not sure if that's something you're wanting or not.

I feel like anyone willing to drop $400 for a Home Max has the cash to burn to see if it's worthwhile for them so you might as well try it out. I think you'll be happy with it, especially if you start connecting more stuff to Assistant.

I went ahead and ordered a mini, will test it out functionally and see if it's worth picking up a max.

PageMaster posted:

Which Sonos speaker do you have? If it's the Play:5, I'd echo the above posters and recommend you just get a Chromecast Audio and plug it in (that's my current setup) to cast to the Sonos for a fraction of the cost of the Home Max (I've also read that the Sonos speaker sounds better, but I haven't been able to test that myself). Sonos is also supposedly rolling out Google compatibility sometime in 2018 (similar to how they added Amazon Alexa just this year).

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a Play:5, i've been waiting to pull the trigger for a while now.

I should have better clarified, I wouldn't only want the Home Max to replace a Sonos, I'd want it to also replace an Alexa. I'm hoping it's a more seamless integration with my Pixel 2 and if there are some benefits to it (i prefer google assistant to alexa) then I'd be willing to make the jump. I do have a good number of Hue lights to control so if I'm always looking to simplify my home automation integrations.

Another strange use case for me is that I live in a big house with roommates and they are using Alexa/Sonos more throughout the whole rest of the house (game room, living room, etc.) Having multiple sonos & alexa's on the same network seems to pose some interesting configuration issues and switching over to home would mean I can still use the sonos system for the rest of the house while not having to worry about the random playing of music to my part of the house when somebody gets confused about what Sonos they're playing to.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Google Home/Pixel 2 question... I'm a relatively new Home user.

Is there a reason I can cast to my home using the home app but if I click on the dedicated "cast to" button within the YouTube app I can't see my Home speaker?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes, cast apps have different modes for audio and video. Most (all?) primarily audio apps include a video mode that is just the audio with some display information. I'm not familiar with any primarily video apps that include an audio only mode.

The home app just sends it your device audio, so you sidestep this.

Edit: I'm not sure I'm the best at explaining things. The tl;dr is that app developers have to specifically implement audio only casting if they want to include it, and apparently YouTube doesn't want to include it.

This makes sense,. But uhhh... Presumably the YouTube app is made by Google? Why wouldn't they want to make things easier for home users?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

2011, so you would need a different wiring harness.

This guy is great and builds custom harness with additional wires for the steering wheel controls so no splicing of anything is needed.

http://ae64.com

Only "issue" I had is I ordered a part I didn't need. I ordered a steering wheel controller, but that was unnecessary for my car with that specific Sony deck (it would have been necessary with any other deck). All I had to do is splice in a 3.5mm adapter to the wiring harness I ordered. I'm not 100% sure if that also works on the next gen like yours. But it was literally plug and play on mine. I just had to go in and map the buttons to functions afterwards.

I only have two issues with it. One, you can't disable the startup click though warning. Two, there is a firmware bug where it sometimes resets the date and time. If it does that, you can't connect to Android Auto until you set it back because the phone can't handshake with the deck with a mismatched datetime. I've only had that happen twice in the past 4 months.

Having full Google Assistant on tap with a button press is amazing. I was listening to a SciFi podcast that took place on Venus. I did a double take when they described the character as 100 days old. I remembered that Venus's day was much much longer than ours but I couldn't remember specifically. So, I just tapped the button and asked Assistant how long a day in Venus was. 116 days. Oh, so the character was 34 years old. After I got my answer it went right back into the podcast.

I was ready to purchase an ax100 before going to the car stereo shop and getting a quote. They wanted like $850 for parts & labor including harnesses etc. :holy:

I'm not great at car stereo installs but I think if I am going to do it at all I'll have to bug a friend to help me with it and DIY it. I'd be putting it in a Mazda CX-5