Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Welp, the first impression is kinda gone: My volume buttons are wobbling. Googling the issue it seems I'm not the only one. How are your phones? I'd not be as disappointed if this was a midrange phone. But for 760€ it's not too much to ask for perfection, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

withoutclass posted:

Side to side? Mine do have a bit of wobble left to right, I'd say hardly enough to matter though.

It's big enough to make a rattling sound against the metal around it. I think it's RMA time.

Everything else is still amazing though. Not a single hitch in sight and the camera is unbelievable.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

bronin posted:

My first Pixel had perfect buttons but a camera issue. The second Pixel now has a slightly wobbling volume rocker and the volume up click is not as satisfying and a bit louder than the volume down click. Camera works like a charm though.
What I'm saying is RMA is always some kind of lottery at least in my experience.
I just can't be bothered to RMA again. Don't know if they would even send me a new one for my "the click doesn't feel as nice" issue.

I think I'll try my luck once. If the second one wobbles as well I'll just keep it.

(And now I'm afraid of this camera issue :ohdear: )

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
That one I heard of. Had it on my Nexus 6 as well which made me switch to a Robin (lol).

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Wouldn't that just be the Google widget in the widget menu? :)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So I'm on my second Pixel and thought that I could look past the loose volume buttons, but I simply can't. This thing is way too expensive to not expect a perfect hardware experience. Will exchange for a second time and if the third one has the same problem I'm either getting an iPhone 7 or a cheaper Android phone where my expectations aren't as high.

Everything else on this thing is so very perfect, but that one fact sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I just want hard, clicky buttons. They nailed it with the power button so why not with the volume ones? :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

hotsauce posted:

Use software volume controls. Fixed :newlol:

But yeah. :spergin: reason. Sounds like he's fishing for a reason to not like it.

Yeah, I'm really OCD about my expensive gadgets and I'm not really happy with it. I'd love to change this, but it's buried so deep into my brain that I can't turn it off :(

I love this phone and I really hate myself that I can't overlook this one. The volume rocker on my GFs two year old Moto X is supernice, the buttons on my $200 Nextbit Robin were clicky as hell, yet Google can't seem to QC their iPhone flagship killer (which it absolutely is IMO) so well that these things aren't loose or don't rattle.

Here's the thing: When I'm typing (I'm typing in portrait mode) my right index finger rests upon the volume button which then moves and makes a sound everytime it hits the phones body. Which it does constantly because my hands are moving. So I'm typing and hear *clickclickclick* which really doesn't translate into the premium user experience that Google is going for here, no?

I really can't stress enough how much I love anything else about the phone. Android has never been this smooth, the camera is like God handed me a new toy personally and it's just all around awesome. Except for this one button. Let's just hope third time's the charm, huh?

↓ Edit: Come on, man. Is this really what this thread has become? One bad word about a Google phone and you're a nutjob? Google Pixel volume buttons and you'll find more than a few people complaining about the same thing ↓

AlexF fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 9, 2016

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Hey guys, just keeping you posted on the volume buttons that you all love so much. The third Pixel I received has the same problem so I contacted Google support one more time. Not only did the nice lady acknowledge the problem she also told me that ALL DEVICES have it. They know about it and won't do anything to fix it. So I'm out for this iteration. Fingers are crossed for the Pixel 2.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Headcase, nutjob, some weed, nice meltdown, etc...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It was a support chat, not a phone call, so she probably spat on the keyboard before writing it.

But fine, guys. I'll stop posting about my problems with an Android phone in the Android thread. Sorry you're so upset with me. I'll sit in the corner quietly with my high and unrealistic expectations for a phone that nearly costs 1000€ without saying anything any more.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

FAUXTON posted:

Hey now, at least it's not a 'tism-triggering volume button.

Cripes, guy could have pissed and moaned about the mono speaker or the single-piece backing glass incorporating the lens but no he had to go with the volume rocker not being a mushy lump of rubberized plastic.

I bought an iPhone 7 btw. Currently living in clicky-and-solid-as-gently caress button heaven. Still hoping for the Pixel 2 to just copy those as well. I'll switch in an instant and never look back.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

FAUXTON posted:

Oh word? How's the display quality?

Amazing. Pixel's OLED is a little better but for LCD it's perfect.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
<<< Holy poo poo, my first avatar ever and it's oh so perfect! Thanks, Android thread :D

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
That reply makes it sound like the volume button is stuck in the display. Like...torn out and stuck into the front of the phone. Worse than wobbling, I swear.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So did anybody test the power button on the new Pixels yet? Getting kinda nervous over here already!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Some people got their hands on them at stores, no? I just wanted to make a joke because I'm the power button guy :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Tunga posted:

Funny thing is I thought of you checked this when I was playing with them (before you posted). They're lovely and clicky but have a slight front-back wobble. Pretty much identical to the original Pixel.

Noooooo!

I'll get it anyway. Even after a year I can't get used to iOS at all. 11 makes it even worse somehow.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I went shopping today and tried to get every Pixel 2 on display in the city into my hands. Got to see three XL and two normal ones.

Normal one really looks like a phone released like 4 years ago. But it's nice to hold and the display is really good.

The XL is just amazing. Yes, there's a blue tint on the display at an angle but that's all (and you can only see it on a completely white image). There were no other problems. Nice, natural colours, no grain, nothing. I was on the edge before, not anymore. This will replace my iPhone 7.

The buttons, though, are the same. Clicky, yes, but still wobbling. Guess I'll have to live with it. I can do it! The orange button on the Panda looks supercool, but it's plastic instead of metal and you feel the difference. Not a huge deal, but worth noting I guess.

I also tried the Note 8. Hot drat, the hardware is sweet and that huuuge display is so good. That's all, though. There's stuttering all over the place. Can't even scroll through the settings without small hiccups. How is Samsung so bad at this?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Sooo I got a Pixel 2 (kinda blue...gorgeous!) instead of an XL like originally planned. It even has nice buttons!

I can't have nice things however, so I'm officially announcing #glassgate: The glass on the back isn't flush with the body. It's more pronounced on the right than the left, so it's a quality issue (again). Anyone else have this? I don't think it'll be a problem in daily use but I figure it's worth mentioning. Maybe even worth a new avatar...

But: Pixel phones are the best. Yeah, the bezels are huge but god drat it's just nice to be back in smooth Android land. Everything simply works and the camera is like a miracle. Those Google people are wizards!

AlexF fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 6, 2017

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Is anyone here using a Bluetooth tag or something else as a trusted device? I don't wanna have to unlock my phone (Pixel 2) in the office anytime I'm checking notifications (laying on the table so the one position the fingerprint reader on the back isn't helpful) but I'm leaving the phone at my desk quite often and would then like for it to be locked. No smart watch at the moment, so that's off the table for a while.

I found the Tile Mate but was wondering if anyone here knows a cheaper / more reliable / smaller / just all around better device or if that's what I should buy.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I think it's the latter because I'm sharing locations frequently with my girlfriend and parents before meeting up and they are often surprised when I'm already arriving despite being like a mile or two away on their phone.

The "share trip" option is way better for this but it eats your battery because you have to be in navigation mode for it to work and you can also just share with one person.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Twice (or more?), I think.

Three times and then bought an iPhone instead! Geez, you guys...at least get it right. Still loving that avatar. Totally worth all the discussion.

Pixel 3 power button is super nice btw. Clicky in all the right ways.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Let me tell you a thing or two about the power buttons of the Pixel-line...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

FogHelmut posted:

1.5 years on this Pixel 3, longest I've gone without having a hardware replacement on a Pixel or Nexus phone (excluding Galaxy Nexus.)

Yeah, I had my Pixel 3 without any problems for about 1,5 years as well. Battery started to degrade but it was really nice. Now on a Pixel 4 XL and still thinking back to the 3's buttons.

(I'm only joking, though. I'm the button guy...)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I know everyone's been waiting for my opinion on the Pixel 5 power button and guys...GUYS! They finally did it! The power button rocks. Clicky, no wobble, happy with it for the first time on a Pixel.

Looking forward to buying a 1000€ P5 Pro (or whatever they'll call and price it) in a couple of months only to be disappointed again.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I want the mint/yellow color way so bad but also a pro. C'mon Google! :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
You're probably right. I just hope that the third camera is the only thing missing from the non-pro (apart from a smaller battery obviously). Is there any confirmation / rumors about the other differences?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Had one (Pro 128GB, black) in my cart for over an hour and now it's been removed and sold out in the German store. Nice one, Google.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'm having an issue that Google tried to pull in the 899€ from my bank account twice (instead of just using the hold they put on my card via GPay last Tuesday). This being end of month I didn't have enough money on there for the transfer to go through and am now being threatened with my order being canceled. I talked to Google and my bank (time being spent getting this phone now adding up to around 5 hours) and both blamed the other party, which is just amazing. The hold, btw, will be lifted unused on October 31st.

I had to ask my wife to wire me 899€ that should settle things today, but come on. What kind of user experience is this?

Still looking forward to the phone. The reviews being so great are getting me hyped up pretty good.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I love SA dearly but this thread is one of the hardest to read for me. The Pixel 6 (Pro in my case) is the best phone I've ever used and that Google ever made (and I owned and used all of them)

That said, there's some poo poo on this phone that for some reason won't be acknowledged by some users and I can't understand why: The fingerprint reader is slower than before (even Google admits to it), the phone sounds a little hollow in the middle, the gaps between the camera bar and the glass have swallowed more dust than my vacuum the last couple of years and for some loving reason Google still hasn't figured out how to make non-wobbly buttons (see my avatar. Yes, they are clicky. Still wobbly, though. My iPhone 12 from work has perfectly firm and clicky ones).

Still, I love it and don't want to use anything else. It's a fantastic phone and even more so at 900€. But please guys...stop defending the things that can clearly be improved upon.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 11, 2021

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'm feeling it as well and I have an iPhone 12 sitting right next to it at this moment.

Maybe it's just different standards for different people (see: all my discussions on buttons in the past) but for me (and USF) it's there.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

sleepwalkers posted:

swipe down on the home screen, triple tap the back for every other situation. not the same, but the closest you’ll get.

You can also use a one hand mode gesture swiping down on the bottom bar. Needs to be activated though: System > Gestures > one handed mode > show notifications.

It's a bit finicky at first but becomes muscle memory pretty fast. The trick is to not start the gesture at the point where the tutorial animation is showing it (thanks Google!) but a bit deeper on the screen. You basically start on the bar and swipe down outside of the screen.

I've been using that since release and have pretty much forgotten about the rear fingerprint gestures (but not how better it was at actually recognizing finger prints).

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Does anybody know when tomorrow's pre-order for the Pixel 6a will start in Europe?

Edit: pre-orders are live

AlexF fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 21, 2022

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The "buy a 900€ phone, get a 430€ watch for free" deal in Germany is just amazing. I'll just sell my Pixel 6 Pro on Rebuy, sell the watch for a slight discount on Ebay and will have a new phone basically for free. Thanks, Google!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

It's nice to see my legacy lives on!

Seriously though: Not the best power button on the 7 Pro. I've gotten way more relaxed about this, though. The 5 had the best one IMO.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I got the update but none of the interesting features are there for me yet. Can't start a selfie timer with my palm and don't see any option for creating a 3D wallpaper from my own pictures. Anyone have more luck than me or can point me in the right direction?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah, the palm gesture selfie thingie is totally stolen from Samsung. Still would like to use it, though...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

incogneato posted:

The little "sparkle" icon option appeared for me when I chose a photo then switched between lock screen and home screen (buttons at the bottom while previewing). That first one never let me apply the 3D to the lock screen (?). But a second photo attempt has the 3D option for both.

Not sure what that all means, but try flipping between previews and options to see if it appears. The button is the little three stars sparkle up in the top right during preview.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Just to once again be the "buttons on the Pixels suck" guy again: My volume rocker fell off last week and is gone. It's not that the phone fell out of my hand or from a table. It simply seems to have fallen off and I didn't even notice until a little later. Googling the issue seems to confirm that I'm not the only one having the problem.

Seriously...how hard can it be to make have buttons on your flagship device that don't suck.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
What do you think how I got that avatar? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It's a valid question and I've tried some cases on the earlier models (official and 3rd party ones) but it's not working for me. Even the slimmest ones are adding some bulk to already big phones and I'm not the biggest fan of the changed haptics. You're absolutely correct of course that buttons would be held in place with a case. It's just the same question I keep on asking: Shouldn't they simply be held in place by the nice flagship itself?

I really keep thinking about this a lot and am aware that it's an issue I have. So many people are working on the design and haptics of these phones so I always figure that they'll get it right some time.