Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to ask such a basic question, I've reinstalled the game and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to direct research to the next tank in my tree (IS-3). I can research components in my existing tank - do I need to have all of them researched before I can research the next tank? Thanks and sorry again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Just the ones directly in line between the current tank and the next.

Ah poo poo. Thanks. How do I see my current pool of experience? I can't find it anywhere.

e: Nvm there it is. Thanks.

e2: Are the mods in the OP still relevant or are there a couple must-have mods now that aren't there?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 2, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you've researched everything for a vehicle does that experience go into free experience pool or?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Prav posted:

it stays on that tank until you pay gold to turn it into free exp

i suggest just turning on accelerated crew training on your elite tanks

Thanks, I'll do that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Prav posted:

it stays on that tank until you pay gold to turn it into free exp

i suggest just turning on accelerated crew training on your elite tanks

Does this actually help out if you're playing a tank you're not really looking to use? Are the crews somewhat shared?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I spend most of my time in Russian heavies, also in the video game World of Tanks I play mostly Russian heavy tanks. Am I understanding my role correctly:

• Take the point on heavily traffic'd areas
  • Position myself such that I can take advantage of our scouts by making high impact long range shots.
  • Should I be trying to be one of the tanks on the objective when I'm playing those types of maps?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hellsau posted:

What tank are you in? Deal damage to enemy tanks early and attempt to remove enemy guns from the field while also denying the enemy prime positions to murder your idiots. If you're playing solo, it does not matter what tank you are in, if you are not killing the enemy swiftly you're going to be losing a lot.

The only thing a different tank type should cause you to adapt is how specifically you're going to murder the enemy tanks. If you're in a KV-1 top tier, for instance, you need to go straight forwards as fast as possible such that you can find one enemy tank and hold left click on that enemy tank while angling your armor such that your fantastic weapons and good survivability allow you to kill the enemy tank before its teammates wise up, before that enemy tank runs away, and before your team loses too many idiots. If you're a KV-1 bottom tier, you need to just get into a spot where you're not the focus yet can still damage the enemy tanks. If you're in an IS top tier, you need to be slightly behind the dumbest least cowardly pubbie you can find, let them get shot, then shoot the enemy tank with your high damage gun. Once you've shot a lot of enemy tanks, you can make a judgment whether you can accept a shot from an enemy to kill it, or accept two of their shots to shoot them for 780 damage (and probably kill them) such that your team is able to start a snowball where you kill some half health idiot, then press W and kill some low health tank, then start wasting oneshotable enemies left and right. If you're an IS bottom tier, you try to shoot enemy tanks such that you're not the focus yet can still damage the enemy tanks.

If you look at your tank and think, "Oh, it's a three line square I need to go to the grinder and just hold the enemy/tank damage," or, "Oh it's a triangle I need to snipe," you're going to have a bad time. The particular type of tank you're in means literally nothing. It is your tanks particular characteristics that matter. The only thing you need to care about is doing the most amount of left clicking in a game while also doing the most amount of left clicking early enough to try to cause a snowball victory.

And turn off Encounter and Assault in the options, pubbies literally do not know that there are different game modes and will try to cap the enemy spawn instead of the big white circle, or will try to cap the enemy out when they're on defense.

Thanks, this is great info. I just now got to the IS-3.

e: I'm also grinding German TD's. At the Jg.Pz. IV now.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 4, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What the gently caress is a loving hellcat

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are they really TD's? Why are they always up trying to scout and flank?

also is the teamspeak in the OP still active or do people use the new CTS mumble?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When you get the eye icon saying "spotted" in green at the bottom of the screen (stock UI) does that mean you've spotted someone or that you have been spotted yourself?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you get experience from bouncing shots (from other players)?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why are people making platoons in random matches and inviting me to them? Is this a voice chat enabling thing?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

warcrimes posted:

I run Aslain's mod pack. Very customizable with a lot of options. First time set up takes a while but comes with a nifty preview feature that you have to enable at the start of installation:

http://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/13-091701-aslains-xvm-mod-modpack-installer-wpicture-sound-preview/

Thanks. I also installed this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly all-chat is in all the other hypercompetitive games (CS:GO, Starcraft, League of Legends) for a reason. If you're old enough to spend $100 on a tank video game you're old enough to get called out in front of both teams.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The abuse from the player base in this game is really really tame compared to just about any other game.

e: Like just by nature of the fact that you aren't being told that over a mic makes it incomparable with CSGO for example.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What you're describing is literally the dunning-Kruger effect or however it's spelled.

Today I had some other arty tell me to stop and follow them and I learned about a great new spot. I don't know the map exactly because I can't name a single one despite having a t8/7/5.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How much exp are these light tanks getting for jumping ahead and scouting 6-8 tanks then dying?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why can't every arty be like the SU-8? What a drema to use. First high caliber award ever and with the default gun.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This isn't cross platform with consoles right? Each has their own servers?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When I started I was in staunch opposition of arty but now I find myself as an arty apologist/gamebreak denier.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Grinding the German TD line, can someone sum up the play differences between the Jpanther II and the Ferdinand? Much obliged.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

First M, stoked.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I enjoy the variety of random battle types more than I mind a loss in a game where there seems to be no competitive matchmaking; that is to say a loss which of itself has no impact on my enjoyment of future matches.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love the IS-3

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Let's hope the IS can make me just as happy as this thing.
Also the 100m on the 85 is seriously broken.

I'm a russian heavy tank bro, the IS is great. The IS-3 is even better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh poo poo just hit my 2k battle mark.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I never understood what people enjoy so much about playing a huge variety of low tier tanks. 2k games and t8/t7/t7 for me

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love those big stupid Japanese heavies when I'm playing my arty.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

I love it playing the SP and those bounced shots. "Oy, where's this fucker at? There he is! BLAM Next!" Saved my rear end a few times when those damned Scorpions would bounce shots out of view range. gently caress those Scorpions

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unlocked the t-10 but need $3M to unlock it. Ugh.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Two kills? Good carry mate.

Thanks!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Are you also multiboxing this game?

I wasn't posting the screencap to demonstrate anything special on my behalf I've just never seen a game before where one team only lost 1 tank.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just bought the T-10 and have been playing it for a day or two. It's a really disappointing tank after the IS-3. I really liked brawling and now I guess I can't do that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I mean I have a couple thousand games played I'm pretty sure so I'm not new to the game. Maybe I just haven't noticed when it happened before because I leave games when I die.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What is a good 5 letter clan tag for a clan called Affirmative?

AFRMT?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

how long can a clan tag be? would [COXSLP] work?

Max 5

e: my vote for ECUCK

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Perish the thought people get some shelter from the dedicated arty scumbags. I don't mind arty players that just do it for a fun rmp here and there, but the ones with triple perk crews and played arty continuously can go eat poo poo. I'd rather enjoy playing a map without having to worry about being one shotted by some scumlord in a GW Panther or something

e: I'm a green square suck it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looking at the new graphics video it just seems like they're making hills higher with ruined buildings/castles etc. To be honest it looks like it's going to have a bigger impact on arty than the other changes they're making.