Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Happy 2015 thread. Will this be the year where the glorious Rallvolution finally comes to fruition? Stay tuned :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hmm didn't something else happen in 2014, like an election or something? No? Alright then :obama: :obama: :obama:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

7oden getting an early start on racism for 2015

4 :3:

e: one more! Tony Branco is not to be outdone.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 5, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Apparently it's a right-wing blog thing that's been around for at least 3+ years. Never heard it before today though.

http://theothermccain.com/2011/09/05/scoamf-nation/

Stands for "Stuttering Clusterfuck of a Miserable Failure"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:fork: NOBOEHNER

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-and-jeffrey-epstein-908671

quote:

In fact, Epstein, 61, has maintained many of these relationships even after pleading guilty in 2008 to a felony charge stemming from a lengthy probe of his lewd interaction with scores of underage girls, many of whom were recruited while they were students at a Palm Beach high school.

Epstein is pictured above in his most recent sex offender registry photo.

But while Prince Andrew and other public figures resumed meeting with a post-prison Epstein, Clinton appears to have avoided the billionaire, who owns a private Caribbean island, a Manhattan mansion, a New Mexico ranch, and a Paris apartment in addition to his waterfront Palm Beach residence.

According to court records, Clinton “frequently flew” with Epstein aboard the investor’s private jet from 2002 to 2005, the year news of the police investigation of Epstein was first reported.

Haha, that Bill Clinton, cutting all ties palling around with sex offenders after they've been outed!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

I wonder how many people could guess that's supposed to be John Boehner if you showed it to them.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

One more hot off the presses:

other stuff:

5 :pwn: (though the labels are really unnecessary)

6 MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Bonus from JJ McCullough's twitter:

quote:

See if I draw this, it seems benign, almost corny:

If I draw this, in contrast, it seems extremely “risky,” “offensive,” and “provocative:”

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

matrix ripoff posted:

I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=john+boehner+loves+smoking :milk:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

In honor of recent FCC news:

Conservative cartoonists have no idea what Net Neutrality is, all they know is that Obama is in favour of it, so it's bad.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

7 Anyone know what this one is referring to?

and some US stuff:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

loquacius posted:

Oh hey there dolchstoss

Can someone tell me exactly what the media is not doing that McCoy wishes they were? Just nonstop Mohammed caricatures on every front page, or what?

Glenn McCoy posted:

Most of the media is still afraid to acknowledge that we are at war or who the enemy is. A united front in favor of free speech would have provided these brave cartoonists some needed protection but unfortunately the P.C. press doesn't wish to offend those who deal out censorship with bullets bombs and beheadings.
I wonder if he's aware that the staff had armed police guards with them. Who were also killed.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I hadn't heard that they were doing a remake of Re-Animator.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:whatup:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/09/25/remarks-president-un-general-assembly

quote:

The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt -- it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted, "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women -- it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons. (Applause.)

The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country’s resources -- it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied. (Applause.)
Nope, nothing taken out of context there at all! :hurr:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Uh the gun still kills people when it has a silencer on it, guys. He's saying that political correctness helps to conceal violence committed by extremists. Ramirez is poo poo at metaphors but I think this one is fairly coherent.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The shooting got Oliphant to draw something for the first time in like 4 months:

3 Rick McKee sure loves his frothing-at-the-mouth Arab.

6 (might be old but seems to be circulating today :sigh: )

8 :stare:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Also Sean Delonas has a book coming out which apparently contains some cartoons that the New York Post didn't want to print. I bet there are some doozies in there.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

Bruce Rauner is being a petulant dick to media, which means I'm sure we'll get a fawning tribute from Eric Allie soon enough. It'll at least be less obnoxious than his recent "Al Sharpton is the cause of all violence" dumbass streak.
Allie is hilariously lazy these days. He puts out like maybe 2 cartoons a week and is the only somewhat prominent cartoonist I can think of who couldn't even be arsed to draw anything about Charlie Hebdo over the last couple of days. Even 80-year-old Oliphant was roused from his slumber.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yaakov is using the #JeSuisCharlie hashtag to hawk for his indiegogo campaign. Which is already funded at 150% :suicide:

quote:

Yaakov Kirschen ‏@drybonescartoon

#JeSuisCharlie only 5 days left to support Dry Bones cartoons http://igg.me/at/drybones
:fuckoff:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1qKzIsisU&t=21s

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Assorted poo poo:

7 "Fit to Pint?" :confused:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Art Spiegelman did an interview regarding the shooting

There's a video of the interview, along with the first part. Covers a few topics.
My immediate reaction upon reading something by Art Spiegelman is to check to see whether Rall has trashed him over it yet. Apparently not but his twitter feed is still absolutely magical at the moment.

@TedRall posted:

“even the most ruthless satirists have their sacred cows” http://t.co/u3tadD290r With all due respect, gently caress off, @SaladinAhmed. I don’t.

I know it’s not all about me, but it’d be nice to get “credit” for the chances I took and the price I paid for political satire after 9/11.

1. This past week’s events reminds me of being interviewed for a job as a cartoonist at the Asbury Park Press in New Jersey.

2. The editorial page editor had been trying me out as a freelancer for months. Finally the editor was considering hiring me on staff.

3. The interview went very well. Finally, he said, “I have just one last question:”

4. “Will I ever look outside my window and see people protesting a cartoon that you drew?” I was caught by surprise.

5. I answered truthfully: “I don’t know. Maybe. Not intentionally, but it’s certainly possible.” He replied: “wrong answer.”

6. Naturally I didn’t get the job. Eventually they hired someone else. Perhaps he answered the question correctly.

7. Shortly thereafter, this was in the 1990s, the newspaper in Harrisburg Pennsylvania flew me out to be interviewed for a cartoonist job.

8. There weren’t any questions like that, but close. They decided to add another sports writer instead of hiring a cartoonist.

9. I was considered for a job in St. Louis, but the editorial page editor said that her readers didn’t want to be challenged or offended.

10. Then there was the Sacramento Bee. They flew me out, but the editor there said that the decision came down to a choice:

11. Did they want to rattle “the good burghers of Sacramento,” or give them something fun to read over breakfast? They chose the latter.

12. Every political cartoonist has stories like this. Cowardice is the dominant personality trait in the press in the United States.

"I know it's not all about me, but here's a 12-point list about how it actually is." Also I wonder if the "right" answer to the first question was "gently caress yeah I'll probably offend some people" rather than the wishy-washy response that Ted gave. Shine on you crazy diamond.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

1 jesus christ :wrongful:

2 lol

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

As far as I can tell Canada only sent our Minister of Public Safety, yet for some reason I'm hard pressed to find cartoons talking about how Stephen Harper is Soft on Terror.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hope everyone is READY for this talking point to get even more traction.

3 (No comment on Stephen Harper skipping the same event, CAM?)

6 I'm kind of mystified that this is even considered a thing worth commenting on.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Another Ramirez that AGCs itself.
"An inveterate liar against truth" :ughh:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Saw this on Facebook:

This is some weird Latuff fanart

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:regd08:

Even 3+ years later Branco thinks Eastwood's "empty chair" speech was some kind of a sick burn and not an embarrassing spectacle. Also Putin wasn't there, you dunce.

Lisa Benson and Jim "Get a brain" Morin make the exact same joke.

Gorrell of course figures out how he can comment on this with the least effort possible.

Trying to figure out if this is offensive or just stupid. Probably the latter.

I like this one :3:

:sigh:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Who did that really bad cartoon with the hippies smoking the bong wrong? I can't remember and it isn't in the OP for some reason.

Babby Dials

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Several cartoonists including JJ McCullough and Ann Telnaes did some photo essays on the CH shooting for Bors' site: https://medium.com/the-nib/laugh-cry-be-offended-ba8f59553c79
JJ's is predictably smug but also kind of funny I have to admit.

Meanwhile,

2 IMPERIAL PRESIDENCY :argh:

3 Bors did this one already, Ted. And better.

5 OK, I laughed at "Veto Corleone" at least.

7 http://www.cbsnews.com/news/d-c-metro-deaths-what-went-wrong/

8 :pwn:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

Ted Rall ‏@TedRall

Working on a cartoon about #Charlie Hebdo so outrageous #CharlieHebdo might have published it.

:allears: I can't wait!!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Watch Rall misinterpret them completely. I bet he's just going to draw a cartoon to be offensive for offensiveness sake.

My guess: American newspaper editors gunning down a room full of political cartoonists. "We wouldn't want to offend anyone!" says one, as his arm juts out at an unnatural angle.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

@TedRall posted:

Tomorrow's cartoon about #CharlieHebdo is as outrageous as they are, methinks. http://ow.ly/i/8gdSD

:shrug:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I dunno, I laughed pretty hard when I realized that the grey thing behind the editor is supposed to be a window that is apparently too opaque to show anything in the room beyond it.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So this mid-70's National Lampoon article by PJ O'Rourke entitled :nws: Foreigners around the World :nws: popped up on imgur. Kind of interesting to look at in light of Charlie Hebdo's content because it's more obvious (to me anyways) that the over-the-top racist jokes and cartoons are aimed at satirizing racist/xenophobic views in America. But I think that goes back to the idea of having to place satire in the context of the culture that's producing it, which is why Americans are struggling to interpret some of Charlie Hebdo's stuff.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

4 Won't someone think of the children in Nigeria, etc etc.?

5 :shrug:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Kinda weird to have stuff like 'meh cartoons' and 'my brave brave doodles' and all in a cartoon supporting them.

In fairness I'm pretty sure the "brave cartoonist" thing in the last panel is tongue in cheek. But yeah anyways the :shrug: was just because I guess I was waiting for a punchline that never seemed to arrive. Maybe it's just my general aversion to the four-panel thing that he and Rall (among others) are so fond of. They rarely seem to make an effective point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah I co-authored a scientific paper with a Russian guy a few years ago and was constantly having to insert "the"s and "a"s everywhere. Not that it was a big deal but it's definitely a thing. Polish too, I think.

• Locked thread