Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
On a train going no where.... Wheeeee! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Elmnt80 posted:

That one goes anywhere. Tends to run a bit late though.

Its already 12 hours behind and its not getting there any quicker!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The only thing I have to say awful... I thought I was done with acne when I turned 30.

I just popped the nastiest zit on my arm. It was epic and gross at the same time.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Currently pleased with pair number <who knows> of Carolinas. Just add kevlar laces and they are perfect for quite a while.

Tried Red Wings. Not impressed so far. The soles on mine are not wearing as good as I would like and the toes have really taken a beating. The water resistance is mediocre at best.

I'll be back to Carolinas soon. Just waiting for the next free boot voucher to hit.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Holy gently caress... Land rover is better than quite a few vehicles in the latest initial quality. Though seeing scion down the list is shocking.... Along with Jeep.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Even though I live in the general vicinity, I refuse to buy a 25 year old car that I am going to have to over night parts in from Japan. I'll stick to my flaming British piles. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A real compressor owns. Bitches.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I've got a Craftsman 25 gallon. Works well enough for me.

I just got a 30 gallon belt driven unit. Being able to sand with air instead of electric is night and day. I knocked out a body panel that would have taken me at least 3 hours in around an hour with a DA sander.

Next on the list is a set of deep well impact sockets, a 3/8 impact gun and an air hammer. And a welder.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Bachelor life owns. Bitches.

Is your kitchen table littered with car parts? Because if not your doing it wrong. :colbert:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
OK. It counts. Nice work.

For ultra bachelor status, you have to rebuild an automatic transmission in the tub.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any more jag related things?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

gileadexile posted:

They're calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight. Please please let this happen.

There's plenty of snow at home and I'm stuck in a hotel for work. All I want to do is some awd power slides in a rover.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Took the XJ out on the gravel out by Booneville last night. :D

I used to go out by my folks house, if you follow that road all the way out west there's some decent places to explore

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I just can't get into console gaming and new computer games just don't deliver for some reason. Late 90s and early 2000s were, for me at least, the height of computer gaming.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Two things:

A: a cheap s10 with a bad motor popped up near me and all I want to do is put a 6.0 in it.
B: all I want to do is doughnuts on dry pavement with it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

So many loving cheap cars are dropping into my lap and I'm not allowed to buy any of them.

Ugh. This is the worst. This is why I'm limiting myself to jjjjjaaaagggs, rovers and British poo poo.

Maybe a tractor. I'm still hard after a Cub Lo Boy 154.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

The loving dream Celica popped up 90 minutes away for $1000. Multiple b2200's, a Mazdaspeed Protege for loving peanuts.

Unf. I remember bombing around in high school in my buddy's B2000. We beat the snof out of that poor truck and it kept going.

I still wouldn't mind a rwd celica

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I've considered a contour based jag just because awd. Other than that it seems pretty god awful. Luckily, itdiots dump em quick because they thing furing cars!!!!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
As boring and mindless as it is at my current job I don't mind it at all. There's a whole lot worse for a lot less pay.

So I make it my goal to antagonize any and all management. I'm getting to the point where they don't allow me to do my own air brake tests or put my train together. They hate it because on my inspections I always find things wrong or broke, and it clogs up the works for hours on end.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm annoyed with all this management philosophy and the next big thing poo poo. What ever happened to "show up do your job and go home"?

But that died with all the corporate cheerleaders that work in these places. Not trying to hate on my co workers but I see them enough. I like to spend time pursuing my hobbies and poo poo, not posting how awesome my CEO is on Facebook. (Which would cut your rear end if it would make them $10 richer)

Edit: not bitter or cynical at all.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I burned the tips of all of the fingers on my left hand on a curling iron yesterday. There's a reason I haven't tried my hand at soldering or welding.

I can't believe the amount of heat girls put next to their head in the name of beauty.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How many after dinner beers is acceptable?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Holdbrooks posted:

I'm not sure it has come down to that quite yet.

But it was peak of Lindey Lohan's hotness. She will never get back to that.

I loving hate winter. I feel so God drat blah and sluggish. It's to cold to work on cars, it's dark at 430, and I have no projects.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

I am a total sucker for Monster. I love several of their drinks and I think their sports m arketing is fantastic.

Monster fucks with my heart really bad. Hell a strong coffee can make me feel strange.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm bored this afternoon. Its to god drat cold to work outside.

Day drinking it is. I have been up since 2300 yesterday so you know... Cheap drunk.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They just opened something similar to this in Des Moines. I have been saying this is a great concept for years, I am just curious about the liability.... but I am sure you sign off saying if you drop the car on your head you are poo poo out of luck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any reason NOT to buy a Hobart Auto Arc 130? http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-auto-arc-130-wire-feed-mig-welding-kit/0000000031165

This seems to be a pretty decent deal, the only thing I would rather have is better regulator, but that can be upgraded down the road.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am just going with a regular dark shield instead of the auto dark stuff. I used to stick weld with a regular helmet, figured I can use a standard one for the time being then buy a nice auto darkening hood later down the road.

I plan on just using it for auto body work, so I shouldn't be pegging out the duty cycle. And if I do need access to heavy duty stuff, fiance's dad has a shop with higher end Miller stuff. I don't know where I will land house wise, so I would much rather have the 115v flexibility for now then upgrade down the road.

Plus in this area, every one treats Miller like its beyond gold, and asking 1000+ for machines at the middle of their life, and 500 for broken machines.

Edit: from my understanding with Illinois tool owning both Miller and Hobart, they are pretty similar in features, but the Hobart is a model year or two behind the Miller equivalent. It could be total horse poo poo as well, but I did check out the auto arc in the store today, and it had Miller on the torch. heh, beaten vvvv

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 14, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Not like I'm some volume/production shop. I can just drink a beer while it cools off.

This is my logic. Yeah I would love to have a huge 240v machine with 100% duty cycle at X voltage and all the fanciest poo poo they make. But then thats going to cost me at least 3,000 and I may not have 240v service to where I need it for a while, etc, so I figure its easier to just drink a beer while the machine cools off.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Do you plan on building ships? Good lord thats a nice machine.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I plan on building whateverthefuck I want.

I wanted a TIG machine, and while inverters are nice they aren't all that great in the lower price ranges. I asked around and found that a guy that frequents the same bar is a retired machinist and has all kinds of poo poo in a sea container that he's been sitting on for nearly 10 years now. He doesn't necessarily want to part with any of it, but if it's going to a good home he'll reluctantly sell it as he needs extra cash.

He sold me that tank for $700. It came with a foot pedal ($250), 100 ft or more of 1/0 wire between the ground and stick stinger (another $300 or ), a cart, regulators and a full argon tank (owned not leased). So at that price I basically got the welder for free.

Having an inverter, especially for aluminum (variable frequency and the ability to set clean/penetration) would be awesome, but there's been a lot of just about everything welded with these old beastly transformer machines so I figure I can get by just fine.

Hilarity specs: it weighs 500+ lbs (it's got a lifting eye on it and I had to hook it with the engine crane to get it off the truck into my garage) and has a max amp draw in the low 80s at 240v.

I have been eyeballing one of those inverter based tig machines myself. Again, im not in production, but it would be fun to gently caress around with. But I would rather save up my funds for a plasma cutter.

How much service do you have to your shop? I know most homes are around 200 amps, and a giant majority of sub panels are 100 amp. I know your new shop is set up well though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What kind of tig do you have?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats why I plan on saving up. Get a small Hobart now to satisfy any cravings to fart metal together then eventually get some nicer poo poo. I just can't justify the costs of high end stuff right now. Nice set up by the way.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Part of its a little bit of book reading but from what every one says its just practice practice practice.

I have never mig welded before, but I could do decent with a stick, and from what I have been told, if you can do stick, mig is a breeze.

kastein posted:

pshhhhhh. All your silly little clean, light, new TIG welders.

Here's the same one I have, but much cleaner and less beat :v:

Pretty sure mine was made sometime in the 60s or 70s. Upwards of 300lbs easily.

God drat, thats bad rear end. I had a Forney welder, but was stolen along with a bunch of stuff back in 2005, and I just have been rebuilding my tool supply steadily ever since.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, if it was about 1500 cheaper it wouldn't be a bad idea.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

about 3000 cheaper I'd go drag it home. till then he can piss up a rope.

bet I know which case that thing has too. :can:

Oh wait... its that piece of poo poo? Pass.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Welders are pretty much the greatest. Besides all of the bodywork I've done with my tiny Lincoln MIG it's also pretty capable for bigger stuff; like for when I got bored and made a computer desk out of some stuff I had lying around:

drat, I like this desk. Nice work sir.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

TIG will be easier to learn to some extent with prior stick experience (at least it seems like that's what's helping me), although it's more like oxy fuel welding because you're feeding rod (never done that).

I have done some brazing before, but honestly, it was pretty awful and not for critical use. It looked TERRIBLE.

The only other thing I would really like but isn't a deal breaker is the ability to add a spool gun, but again, I don't think it will a be a deal breaker. The downside to plasma cutters is the ones that are high end are pretty much out of my price range as of now, and the other options are the lovely Chinese models. I think I will save for the Hobart model with the built in compressor. Again, I don't think I will ever be hitting the 1/2 stuff, and mostly 1/4 is honestly the biggest I will most likely go.

I would like to get a metal band saw as well, but thats further down the list. Honestly though I need to just start melting metal together and see what interests me the most. Right now its just doing body work, but I have been hankering to build a go-kart or some form of bar stool racer. Or just something motorized that's completely pointless.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Jesus... That's a ton for a starter. (Its a Vulcan right?) That's such a common engine you'd think it would be cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

Capitalism, and the Free Market sadists that want to enable them :allears:

And part of the mess we are in is the fact that people just don't understand money, how it works, etc. Being debt free is good, but its ok to be in debt as long as you can manage your current debt load, and most people can't manage that. I still don't understand why schools can't have a basic fiance course before you graduate why its ok to use credit cards, but with in reason, and be able to pay the balance off with in a couple of months, etc. Or how to properly calculate a monthly budget with excess reserves, and so on.

But with the abundance of cheap credit, I don't think it will ever go away. If the interest rates ever climb about 8% or 9% these 300,000 homes are going to crash in value.

• Locked thread