Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ullerrm posted:

And wow, the Gamecube just straight up hanged and then crashed on Naegleria.
That made the whole block worth it for me :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

heck yes, darkwing bringing the Follin

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Austrian mook posted:

Finally, that piece of poo poo game is over.
We might as well just have a robot to post that after every single run to save grouchy rear end people the trouble. :bahgawd:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cubey posted:

please ban this person
Wait, so there's finally a run that you all agree is awesome? I may faint of shock.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tracula posted:

We all loved Boshy and Mario Bros 2/Lost Levels as well.
Nope, I distinctly remember reading bitching about Boshy. Though I really enjoyed both of those a lot. The Lost Levels runner is a really underrated cool dude who should have a larger audience. Has cool overlays on his stream too and is generally just a great streamer. Also has a loving impossible to remember username so I can't tell you.

flatluigi posted:

How does the slow music even happen?
I don't know, but I think with the Touhou game they gave up and just let it happen. So that should show you how that game rates. :ohdear:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Of course it was Sockfolder who helped break another game open :allears:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh hey, they want 3 more minutes to show off a cool glitch. NOPE sorry you're like two hours behind thanks to SOTN setup. This should have been scrapped entirely. :colbert:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

:pusheen:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DARPA Dad posted:

this guy gets to chat in the #speedruns channel and i get banned for making fun of the fire emblem runner's physical appearance
what's your irc name, i will get to the bottom of this

as payment, if you were extremely dumb i am going to tell everyone just how dumb you were

do you feel lucky!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DARPA Dad posted:

JSnake. i typed during the run "i can't tell if this person is a girl or a man"
well, that surely doesn't sound unreasonable, let me just check here and

quote:

[20:58] <JSnake> whos the retard in the blue hat behind the couch
[20:58] <JSnake> the one in front of the megaman guy
[20:59] <JSnake> the moutbbreather
[20:59] <JSnake> mouth breather
[20:59] <JSnake> he looks downsy as hell
oh.

well, that was quick.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DARPA Dad posted:

that was over the line and i'm sorry for it. not sure what i was thinking there
sure, we all make mistakes. i'm sure it was an isolated incident and you're usually quite respectful, so you won't mind if i look a little further

quote:

[15:53] <JSnake> whos the homeless guy on the couch

[17:58] <JSnake> nite crew is basically just a thread where people too pussy to post in fyad hang out

[18:00] <JSnake> hahahahahaha
[18:00] <JSnake> hes gonna cry

[15:11] <JSnake> game so easy it can be played one handed
[15:11] <JSnake> literally a game for babbies
oh, but surely you have good opinions to make up for your irritating behavior

quote:

[18:22] <JSnake> why did the internet latch onto groose
[18:22] <JSnake> like he was ok
[18:22] <JSnake> kinda

[18:37] <JSnake> pacman 2 sucked
[18:37] <JSnake> i watched arino play it
[18:37] <JSnake> and that was enough

[19:12] <JSnake> dragons crown is good because if you say you like it, Games will call you a misogynist and an mra
[19:13] <JSnake> and its fun to make the sjws in games mad
welp. i'm only a third of the way through but i imagine people are already tired of this poo poo. :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

"My friend Lou Links died of cancer" eh :raise:

beaten so hard

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Alman posted:

https://twitter.com/noirtheblackcat

e: god I almost want to delete this post considering how god drat creepy I feel looking at that twitter
Never feel creepy about reading insane twitters

I mean, that's most of them, but still

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr E posted:

offline :ohdear:
Dunked the stream in the toilet. :toot:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

8 minutes in and he already starts apologizing. I swear, Jak games are cursed at marathons or something. Those and Ratchet games never seem to be consistent enough to behave for a marathon.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I would throw in the TAS block (though there is a lot of waiting around) and at least Trio the Punch if not the rest of the awful games block.

Shovel Knight and They Bleed Pixels had devs on Skype and were fun, if not mindblowing.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Kins posted:

Just off camera - a laptop loaded to Bulbapedia that Werster's reading off of.
I think he only used the cheat sheet to remember what names he was supposed to put in from donations. He's done this so long the rest is practically reflexive.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

fuuuuck i missed pokemon! how did he beat it?
He told the game to let him win. I'm only partly joking.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Swan Curry posted:

$2000 seems like way too much for an incentive like Pokemon Green
They also used to hype Pokémon stuff a lot more beforehand and I literally only heard the incentive mentioned that one time just before the run. It feels like they haven't really been pimping incentives nearly as aggressively in general.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UraniumAnchor posted:

So if we don't at least break a million I'll eat my shoe.
Silly UA, you're not supposed to give an anti-incentive! Now offer to eat your shoe if they break two million...

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sage Grimm posted:

They've been pimping some of them pretty loving hard. Do you remember the donation guy for which Arkham game would be played yesterday? It depends on who's reading at the time.
That's good to hear then. I am probably just watching in the slacker hours.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Takoluka posted:

"Man, the Metroid Prime run must have sucked. Look at that traffic drop!" - someone in the future

It was so bad the line disappeared!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UraniumAnchor posted:

The framerate kept spiking down because of network issues. We're going to go to a fallback until we get something more stable. Should be back soonish.
Not pictured: UA running around yelling "Does anyone have a cellular hot spot?!"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

That empty audience with debris everywhere, rekt :ohdear:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

flatluigi posted:

It's 9:22am and the last run was like 5hr total, people probably running for the bathrooms
Oh for sure, just wow that warzone :eyepop:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

The commentators are really quiet so we turned the game down!
shout outs to you for shout outs to God Hand

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

GDQmonitor knows the Follin strats. Too stronk

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this Silver Surfer music?
Probably Solstice but they all blur together in my head. I could listen to Pictionary music alone all drat day.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cool Matty posted:

It's Silver Surfer.
Bah! Well you know what to play next break then. :colbert:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I guess we aren't hitting a million after all
UA looks pretty calm, either you're wrong or he likes the taste of shoe leather. :clint:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sorced posted:

None of the saves are bugged.
So it's normal for the names to be all hosed up? :psyduck:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bef posted:

i dont think anyone particulary cares insomuch that they just ruined a song i wanted to hear
For all of those of us who have been sick of the thousands of wannabe Sephiroths over the years it was a treat

wait a minute why did i reply seriously :suicide101:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oh god I forgot about that one. even Jman didn't manage to cringe me as much as that moment

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UraniumAnchor posted:

Alright, short, quick summary of what went wrong with the donation tracker.
tl;dr: gently caress everything I'm going to bed
Wow, that's a nightmare. Glad it means you got a much better total, even if you don't really get to show it off.

Fancy Hat! posted:

I wonder how the bonus stream is going to be held this year since I recall SGDQ's being cut short after, like a day.
There was a lot of drama over previous bonus streams so they've said they are not doing it that way anymore, but they wanted to keep the details secret. That's the last I remember. :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

According to both playlists I linked, Werster requested his run be removed from the lists. I don't get it.
https://twitter.com/wersterlobe/status/553901446039891968
https://twitter.com/wersterlobe/status/553900603383242752

They also submitted their copy to Kotaku and got all the hits from that too. When you make your living off the twitchbux you tend to get a bit possessive.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 11, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cerebulon posted:

So if there are no speedruns, what on earth are they having?

quote:

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com...h_at_3pm_edt_36

I want bonus stream to be a (loosely) scheduled stream with about 24 hours of non-speedrunning content. This can include side tournament finals such as Fighting Masters and Melee. It can also include games such as Mario Party or other party games, possibly a blind playthrough of something that's really bad but funny to see people suffer through (like Toki), and possibly even a Q&A session.

The purpose of setting up bonus stream this way is to make it more casual and fun like it was back in the day, and to solve how unsustainable it is.

I know some people will be mad about this change, because a lot of people have the mentality of, "well I didn't get my game in the main marathon, but I can get it in bonus stream," but as I said before, that's not what bonus stream was about, or should be about. Bonus stream back in the past was just a way to stream and relax after we were done with a marathon.

Also, the way bonus stream is handled now doesn't work. It barely worked at AGDQ because Hannah spent time organizing it (and frankly she should have rested instead), and it didn't work at SGDQ because no one on staff cared. If we continue the path of letting people speedrun games with no real schedule, it'll just create more conflict and arguments about who gets to run in such a small amount of time.

By the way, if people are wondering why only a 24 hour period, it's because the teardown this SGDQ was very nice and relaxed since I had a full day and lots of good help thanks to people such as yeti and vanish mantle. It was much better than the AGDQ teardown.

Now if this new bonus stream doesn't work, then I'll just nuke bonus stream because it's not worth having bonus stream if no one is having any fun.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

qntm posted:

At least one other person has been suggesting someone should have a roving camera to look at the audience or the player's hands or whatever else is interesting at the time. Maybe that person should be empowered to conduct interviews as well?
A lot of people keep asking for solutions that require more people when they're already shorthanded. I don't know why they are still shorthanded these days with so many people interested in helping, but any proposal that requires more manpower gets shot down fairly quickly. Maybe that will change in the future.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hitze posted:

A grown man wearing a cape doesn't deserve a name imo
He's at least enjoying it unlike sourpuss "Big Plays" Naegleria

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It was this, and then shitheads would erase stuff on the list and write their own run(s) up there.

Personally, if I were the Grand High Poobah of GDQ Bonus Stream, my rules for it would be that it would only be for people who did not have a run in the main marathon and they could only do one run of reasonable length (unless it was like multiple 5-10 minute things).
I half jokingly suggested in chat that bonus stream should be scheduled based on some sort of donations, maybe some sort of bid war and the top ten get to run or something. People would still find a way to make drama out of that though, and someone would eventually just buy their way into bonus stream thinking they could make the twitchbux back from their new found popularity. Also it would add even more headaches on the tech end so I can't see that ever happening.

The solution is probably going to end up being some group that misses the bonus hosting some 'after party' stream of their own and word getting out on twitter or some poo poo. I'm sort of surprised that didn't happen already, to be honest. Or maybe it did and I'm just not aware.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FailAtMagic posted:

Can he even do that? I would think the owner of the footage was AGDQ not him. Actually that's very interesting now that I think about it. UA do you know who is the owner of the footage ??
Youtube is sort of a "take down now, ask questions maybe never" kind of place. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I AM THE MOON posted:

does msf pay uyama
Is it any of your business

• Locked thread