Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

smashpro1 posted:

People mocking Osborn's hair will never not be funny.

Deadpool #0 (the first one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of Hawkeye...

Loki: Agent of Asgard #1

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Golden Age Flash doesn't have time for this poo poo.

I like that Johnny Thunder says "wham!" when he punches bad guys.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: Thanks ^ ^ ^

Schneider Heim posted:

No idea where it's from.

Doom Patrol #70. The guy built the crotch-cannon because he's tired of feeling emasculated because of his tiny dick.

The woman wearing the mask (for whatever reason) has the power to melt things by touching them.

I think you can all figure out where this is going.

e: Same issue.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 17, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lois Lane #111

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

KayTee posted:

This issue was my first ever encounter with Deadpool. :3

e: fuggit, new page...

Strange Adventures 133

That is some grade-A Golden Age thinkin'.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh poo poo, you know what I just realized we haven't had in this thread yet?

:mad: Stop it!

Sources: bunches of comics (which have conviniently collected), and from the...unique mind of Fletcher Hands.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Somehow the weirdest thing about those comics is that his mouth is always closed, even when he speaks.

That is the least weirdest thing about Hanks' comics by a pretty wide margin. The things are like nightmarish fever dreams.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Get ready for the golden octopus.

I couldn't find the panels online. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Mentalizer posted:

I'm not sure why but few things creep me the gently caress out like Fletcher Hanks comics. Something about the way he draws faces and the proportions of his bodies being off in a way that just makes me uneasy. I still read them every time they're posted though.

Likewise. Especially the Fantomah stuff, which was heavy on the monsters and demons.

His stuff is both very unsettling and completely baffling at the same time. Like the thing where he...turns the bad guy into just a head and throws him into space? It manages to be both ludicrous and disturbing as hell.

e: Holy poo poo it just hit me what Hanks' stuff reminds me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5pQfOMkhmQ

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Esplanade posted:

Well, sure it's baffling if you put it that way. He didn't just throw the head into space, that'd be just dumb. He actually threw it to the Headless Space Giant, who put it where his own head should be, but then it got absorbed into Headless Space Giant's body.

So you see, it makes perfect sense in context.
The best part is how Destructo (or is it De Structo?) just looks annoyed by all this. His scowl is more "okay, ha ha, very funny, now knock it off" than "OH SWEET JESUS gently caress WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME!? :gonk:".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Duke Igthorn posted:

Of course she can't fly you idiot: she's Spider-Woman so she glides and shoots lightning from her hands.

"I consider myself bisexual" AKA: I've never tried but I bet I'd be great at it.

These panels have been posted before, and I still have no idea what's going on. Is the pudgy guy making out with apparently-Lada-Gaga-I-guess?, then pushing her off the balcony and grafting his head onto her body?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Darkseid isn't thought of as the ever-present Space Devil because 1) his attacks on Earth are few and far between in a society that's pretty much in danger of extinction every week

I think this is a major point; Darkseid doing large-scale attacks on Earth didn't happen until long after Kirby stopped working on the Fourth World stuff. At most there were the Justifiers and that carnival.

I think when Darkseid was brought back for the "Super Powers" line was the first time there was an actual attack.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You guys forgot to post how Darkseid manages to afford all those snazzy chairs.

(from Ambush Bug's mini; Darkseid appearing on the last page was a running gag)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Source unknown, found it on Matt Fraction's tumblr.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Uh, actually if you look, the Hulk has never murdered anyone ever.

Still the greatest retcon in the history of comics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know which is better; the fact that Tiny-Man's "giant ray gun" is just a normal-sized pistol, or how Dr. Fate is referring to Captain Marvel as a "thing-a-mi-jig".

fake edit: I'm Tinyman! :downs:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently there was also a character called Dr. Doom, and Captain Marvel's teen sidekick was "Billy Baxton".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Didn't someone around here actually make that chili, and it turned out to be terrible?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tulul posted:

Although isn't Bernard the geology guy/God-King of the Hollow Earth? What's he doing repping Robo in court?

He's also the unluckiest Action Scientist on the payroll.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Decius posted:

As if Odinson's bulge there isn't mostly a precisely molded steel cup too.

I think to they're doing that because of Chris Hemsworth showing off his package in the new Vacation trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMOyURq9os

Which also happens to be the only actually funny part of the trailer.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Someone get Grant Morrison on the line!

This, but unironically.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which half? :downsrim:

And of course I can't find the issue of "What The?" where Thanos kills the bottom half of the universe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Weirdworld #1

Welp, that's my next D&D campaign taken care of.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also the main character is trying to use "SickStarter" to crowdfund her father's medical bills.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It pretty much went from "hilariously bad" to "holy poo poo awesome" and has swung back to "bad" after Tom Taylor left.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I thought it was great from the get-go during Taylor's run. To my mind it straight up ended when he left, which is a shame because I was really hoping to see what he'd do with Ares and Bane and all those other loose ends. He made that comic 10 times better than it had any right to be, it's a crying shame he didn't get to finish it. Although I think he wasn't that interested in doing so, anyway.
The first few issues had some problems, mostly due to art and Taylor seeming to rush through a lot of major points. After like five issues it really started coming together.

Once things really hit their stride, I never got the impression that Taylor was trying to write to the story of the video game. He had the basic origin idea, but just went with it instead of trying too hard to connect the backstory to the game. After all, he had five years to come up with, and he was smart enough to realize that he pretty much had carte blanche to do what he wanted.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is this collected anywhere? I need more of this.

fake edit: Nope! Thanks, Alan Moore! :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't find the exact quote, but in Evainer's biography of Kirby he talks about how at one point some (pre WW2) Nazi wannabes/sympathizers came into the Marvel offices to talk to the guys doing the Captain America comic so they could show them how "real Nazis fought." In response to which, Jack just signed, rolled up his sleeves, and headed downstairs. By which time the wannabes had already bolted.

Although technically I suppose that should go in the Badass thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's entirely possible I'm mis-remembering the timeframe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Well, if you figure it out I'd love to hear more details, because the details are about Jack Kirby beating up Nazis.
He did actually fight in WW2, earned the Bronze Star, and came back with PTSD so it's safe to say he did kill some Nazis.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sefer posted:

This was the only reference I could find to that story, and a bunch of tumblrs with the same text:

So there may be more details in the book Kirby: King of Comics, or that may be it.

Timely did end up with police protection from Nazi sympathizers for a while, though: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/03/08/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-93/
Thanks, that was the quote I was thinking of. I just couldn't find it.

In the original broadcast of Turpin's funeral, they had background characters based on the other characters he created, including ones for Marvel. Which, I suppose, belongs in the Touching Moments thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Honestly is there anyone other than Byrne. Hitler and Stan Lee that deserve a rear end-whuppin from the King?

Starlin. Death of the New Gods was loving terrible and an insult to the characters.

Content: Google Books just added a bunch of old ED-wannabe horror comics.

Tales of Horror #7

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone who enjoys Rat Queens or comedy or fun should get right on this.
This.

Dungeons & Dragons #2

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dario the Wop posted:

Liefeld does deserve credit for creating characters that others made awesome. Deadpool is the classic example. I bet someone could take Smash and make something out of it...

Wow, even for Liefeld that's pretty goddamn lazy.

Did Not-Captain-America shrink to like six inches tall in that second panel?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Uh. The purple dude is explicitly saying that his anger is causing him to grow larger in that panel.

Like it's impressive that in a panel rife with Liefeldisms you managed to criticize the one thing that isn't an error.
I think my mind tried to parse that terrible font with my foreknowledge of the common Hulk statement that Rob changed two words in and got confused.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

Was this page posted?

Magneto and Xavier!
I just noticed Mrs. Marvel over on the right edge of the panel; not sure who she's talking to though. Robbie Reyes, maybe?

Also Tony and Cap are holding hands. :3:

And "classic" Hawkeye's the only one all by himself.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 20, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doomworld is just Doom's shipping fanfic.

It all makes sense now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think that is Logan kissing Storm; if you squint you can kind of see the outline of his hairdo.

I just realized that's Crystal and Torch in the foreground. There seem to be two Hawkguys, though; Classic Hawkguy all the way on the left, and being kissed by Widow with his back to the "camera" just above Crystal's head.

e: I also just spotted Beast and Abigail Brand in there too. That panel is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sizone posted:

Kelly

from Watchmen #8

I don't think I ever noticed before just now, but Liberty's torch actually says "liberty" on the side.