Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I want to punch this picture and everyone who ever saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman and Robin #38

A newly superpowered Damian Wayne wakes up from a nightmare.

Yeah, that side profile in the third panel really makes Alfred look like Hitler.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lots of Spatula City regulars in this thread.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Decius posted:

Beat me to it. The costume is perfectly fine in my opinion. Good costumes for women doesn't automatically mean "cover up any skin". It means "make them more practical, good-looking and less male-gaze cheesecake". Some women do like to wear revealing clothes without having anything to do with what men want to see after all.

In most cases it's not the cut of the costume anyway, it's that the costume is painted on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Ah, but Conan worked that out before they even officially met, and convinced the dog to be on his side.
Like in that one story with the witch. Or the one with the pirate ship. Or the one with the aliens and the grey goo egg.

(Conan does this a lot.)

So, Conan is Batman?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Anora posted:

The model sheet for beast just reads "Fur, blue, dude"

Well, two out of three aint bad. Although I thought he was Rockslide, at first, which made it better. Rockslide challenging anyone to a science-off would result in fun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Considering how superheroes are partially designed to be drawn over and over and over again and replicated across a variety of media/mechandise by varying artists including by lovely fill-in artists working on crunch deadlines and by real people in real world space, yeah how well their costume translates outside of their original story does matter a whole loving lot.

Not when we are talking about a What If like Kingdom Come. I think the point was "The design looked great in Kingdom Come, who cares how it looks as a statue or in some fanart decades later?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Soylentbits posted:

How do you feel about super heavy weights for training?

Ever since I saw that one Dragonball episode I walk around with super-heavy weights on arms and legs, because obviously that'll make me super strong and fast when I take them off.

I anticipate that my joints will have to be replaced before I'm 40. All of them.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

(That guy's name is Robot Dracula)

I feel like 'Robot Dracula' would be a suitable alternative name for Doctor Doom.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bueno.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wait wait wait, don't tell me, cover, let me guess: It's Magneto, right? Is Magneto back again?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sefer posted:

He is clearly named Bob.

Boblejuice.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Miracle Man doesn't gently caress around. You mess with his plans, you get a brick thrown in your face.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

If it's obvious enough that I can notice it, it's not subtle enough :smug:

I refuse to read any comic book that's so simple even I can understand it.

- Groucho Marx

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I hope people make fun of him a lot for calling himself "Mr. Sensitive".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Well, it was his mutant power. He was ultra sensitive to stimuli and had to wear a special suit designed by Prof X to be able to do anything.

He could have gone with the classics and called himself "Sensitive Man". At least that is, like, a Brenda Russel song and not something people say while rolling their eyes and making jerk-off motions.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That's the weirdest-looking dump I ever took.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

OK, alternate reality, but why does Kitty have wolverine claws?

It kind of makes sense because Wolverine taught her how to fight, but it doesn't make sense because Wolverine had the claws not her, so he wouldn't have taught her how to fight with claws.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

How does he put his pants on? Is the waiter going to feed him? I have so many questions.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I can visualize Cable hunched over doing needlepoint in his off time.

I'd wager a good 1/3 of his pouches contain nothing but needles, threads and thimbles.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

They never even stopped production in non-American markets. It was just a big anti-union show.

Also to artificially increase demand, I guess. See "nerds buying cases of the stuff on eBay."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

MAGNETS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

I feel like this should have a soundtrack by ICP.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

apsouthern posted:

I suppose when someone is constantly hovering above you you have to get used to the occasional view of "Little Clark"

I have so many questions. Why is Superman flying spread-legged? Is the little line indicating that he was trying to backhand the Atom? Is his left fist supposed to be comically large or is his left forearm really long, thus making the fist appear larger because it's closer to us? But where is his wrist? Is he squinting because Atom is really small? Where is the Bat signal coming from?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ghosthorse posted:

I think Atom kicked or hit him?

After looking more closely it appears that Superman did indeed backhand him. There is a little yellow star showing the impact.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"I'll, uh, I'll stay here and, uh, pound up some, uh, evidence, too. Yeah."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

What? Don't you like Clive Barker's Razorline?

I like how all the faces are just variations of :saddowns:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"Gorkill Corpus" sound like a character for the next Mad Max movie, somebody call Miller.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Is that from before or after The Big Lebowski came out?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

Nope! Not gettin' out of this chair!

I like how his arms look like he just wanted to steeple his fingers but then decided that's too ungodly for him so he just has his hands wherever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

When I read "virgin birth" and "Atlantean" I somehow thought of this guy. His origin sounds hilarious:

Wikipedia of Wundrr, The Aquarian posted:

In July, 1951, Wundarr's ship is caught by Earth's gravitational pull, and passes through a layer of cosmic rays before entering Earth's atmosphere and crashing in a Florida swamp. An elderly couple known only as Maw and Paw observe the crash from their car. Paw considers checking out the crash site, but Maw insists that it might contain Martians or Communists and demands that he ignore it; thus, Wundarr remains in his ship for a number of years...

:allears:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

Can someone explain why kid Warren has fire wings?

Someone asked "Can we make Angel cool but not, like, in a 90's way?" And then they tried.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Bless, trying his best :3:

Gotta love Superman's body language there. The way he hangs his shoulders from panel two to three and then adapts the classical "Are you done yet" pose cracks me up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm pretty sure Punisher has said at least once if they put him in prison he'll just kill everyone there until he figures a way out. The heroes can't sit and watch the prisons 24/7, and if they put him in a supervillain prison there would probably be an argument that it would be akin to murdering him (placing him with supervillains with powers).

I suppose they could put him in some sort of one-man superprison and have him be watched around the clock, but unless that would be the final story of Frank Castle it would be pointless because he'd just get out some way or offscreen because someone wanted to use him in the future.

It reminds me of when Joker was decided to be so dangerous that he was moved to a DC Ultramax prison for supervillains, the Slab, and what followed was an event called Last Laugh where he figured out a way to engineer a mass breakout. At the end he was stuck in an even fancier cell in the ultramax prison where, IIRC, the cell had no doors and was being watched 24/7 by Oracle.

Then like...five months later, in a Harley Quinn comic, the writer wanted to use Joker in a story so Harley tossed off a line that Joker broke out of the Slab.

That pretty much says it all, really.

So they just straight-up ignored the super-duper prison? Ugh, comics.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Fanwank: There's an underground cloning facility somewhere cranking out Franks. Every time one gets gunned down or stuck in an inescapable prison another is released from the facility to continue the Punisher.

I had the exact same thought about the Joker.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

They're the same facility. The Franks don't always come out... right.

"What If... The Punisher had a sense of humor?"

I like it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I obviously have some vested interest in the character. Someone posted the comic my avatar is from last page. I'm just happy he's not as consistently showing up just to get jobbed and show that someone else is stronger.

I think it was a stupid mistake that he was damasked when Moon Knight defeated him a few years ago. Before that his face was never shown. He goes on a date in his Udon mini and you still never see his face. That was a very small mystery, but it was stolen from the character for stupid or no reason.

I've championed Taskmaster as a MCU character for years, not just because I like him, but I thought it was viable. Tony Masters is cheap from a TV or Movie budget sense. Since he wears a mask multiple stunt men/martial artist could play the part when he switches styles. He could be played by anyone outside of the mask. I was originally thinking of Ray Park or Donnie Yen, men that can legitimately change styles immediately, but you don't really need that when you have an editing room.

The line I take a portion from is, "All is, if I have grace to use it so, As ever in my great taskmaster's eye." it's from John Milton in a letter basically saying, "I haven't achieved much yet, but god willing, I will". It was also referenced in the Taskmaster mini. A target calls him arrogant for referencing it, that's because "the great taskmaster" in the letter is God.

I think it's called sonnet number seven.

I hope when he adapts someone's martial arts Taskmaster is played by Donnie Yen, but when he fights Colossus he is played by Nathan Jones. No one ever mentions it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Sharks are not smart.

These are magical. I hope the movie will have some of that, I need dumb as bricks sharks in my life.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Gwenpool is not a very considerate individual.

Why would she be, everyone she's interacting with is fictional.

Also duh, she's a comic book fan.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I love sad Doc Sampson in the corner so much.

Red posted:

It's not fictional to them.

Yeah but, they are fictional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Red posted:

No one in comics fucks up as much as Doc Samson.

He and Hal Jordan need to team up sometime.