Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, something like that. And it came off the heavily advertised "wedding of Archie" thing, if I recall, so it was like a bait and switch.

Maybe, but Mr. Weatherbee finally marrying Ms. Grundy, despite her being diagnosed with terminal cancer, then having them enjoy as much time as they could before she died was amazingly well done. As the kids say, right in the feels.

Life With Archie was a pretty good read, really.

Dilton's Amish beard, on the other hand, was disconcerting. But that was probably what they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

zoux posted:

I know there are plenty of books about how regular people deal with living in superhero universes like Marvels and Frontline, but has anyone ever done a book where the entire populace is living in a constant nightmare state? If the poo poo that happens in the Marvel/DC universe happened here people would lose their minds 24/7 and live in a constant state of terror.

Civil War was probably the closest, or the whole Mutant Registration Act/Sentinals 'for your own protection'/Concentration Camps progression, for America at least.

If superhumans showed up in America, they'd be nationalized (de facto or de jure) or they'd be Gitmo'd. America has a long history of both.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Believe that was the premise of the tabletop RPG Brave New World.

Ray Winninger's Underground is another classic of the genre.

Edit: And :tviv: the whole series is available on DTRPG.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 20, 2015

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't have the panels handy but last week's Injustice was hilarious. WW going full blown mental and kicking the poo poo out of Superman, with the last panel being her breaking his arm while Bats just has a HUGE loving :smug: grin is hilarious. Even better, Catwoman is just like :cripes: "How did I even GET involved this bullshit?"
After she thumbs his eyes real good.

Meanwhile, the whole time, Harley Quinn is trying to turn the entire thing into a Hunger Games fanfic.

Overall, it's not a bad series. It has it's stupid moments, but I also like how focused it is.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

1. The tragic woman abused by the predatory man she fell for, reclaiming her identity, which is a superlative arc and what most fans I've met fall back on to justify her even though it's only her origin arc at most.
2. The incredible variety of outfits and fun combat styles her red/black "sexy clown" motif can support which is the biggest reason for her continued popularity through memetic imagery like cosplay and merchandise, which I'm 110% in support of.
3. The directionless nothing her character becomes the instant you finish her origin arc, which she shares in common with characters like Hawkman and has writers trying to staple anything they can onto her in the hopes that it sticks.
4. The "Deadpool w/tits" meme factory which is absolutely insufferable and near-impossible to do well.
This describes her arc through the Injustice comic so far pretty much perfectly.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Especially when there's just something about a Brit's casual use of "oval office" that for some reason I find hysterical.

Warren Ellis's Crecy

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
That's got to be a riff on Nextwave.

Edit: GD it, wrong post. I meant Agent Hill going off on how much she hates Hank McCoy.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 13, 2015

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Guy Gardner, like most of the non-Hal GLs, didn't really begin that way. He was a social worker who got the ring and was presented as an equal choice to Hal, it was just that Hal was closer to Abin Sur when the call went out. A series of "Hal fucks up" left him in a coma with brain damage and that, plus Hal being an rear end in a top hat, lead to Guy being gradually written as more of a dick. JLI really solidified the dude as "giant rear end in a top hat" but he wasn't initially that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh gently caress me, I now get why Yellow is the weakness.

Well, it's been retconned.

At various points it's been:
plot device just so that GL wasn't undefeatable
flaw specifically put in place by the Guardians to keep the Corps under control
Issue caused by Parallax being trapped in the great power battery of Oa
mental block of the Corps thinking it's going to not work, so it doesn't
something or other else

I'm not sure what the current status of this is.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Section Z posted:

"Robin! Only I'm allowed to brutalize people with no though of the consequences, jeez :rolleyes:"

Batman will leave you utterly crippled for life, but he won't kill you. Robin went straight for the killing shot to the throat.

I mean, what are you, retarded? He's the goddamn Batman.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

I mean, I think Hal could just use his GL ring to make green fire or something to heat the colourless air until batman can't stand the heat and then just punch him but Hal's never been the most creative GL so aside from the cool psychological effect Bats could've just put on a yellow hat or something.

"Why doesn't he just carry around a paintball gun loaded with green pellets?"

Really, though, that scene had so many layers of Batman:
1: He's teaching his new ward discipline
2: He's testing to see how through and willing to take stupid orders his ward is
3: he's seriously mind-loving Green Lantern
4: He's showing his ward exactly how crazy you have to be to be 'crazy-prepared.'
5: he's just being a smug douche with the lemonade.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Chaos Hippy posted:

How far down this rabbit hole do you want to go?

Ya know, I took one look at that picture, and I thought 'RIFTS!'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Sizone posted:

The power of a woman is to be forgotten about and literally turn invisible. That episode made me realize a point which countless panels of Reed being a dick to Sue had failed to impress upon me.

Also to put up barriers to prevent people from connecting with her in any way, don't forget.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I tried to photoshop the caption to 'This is MY hole! It was made for ME!' but CBA.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

They would, but the tape's been in the car for more than two weeks.

:angel: :devil:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Honestly, she looks pretty human for the time.

My god, man, you can clearly see her cock'n'balls stretching out the crotch of her outfit!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Comics: Where this is funny, sad, and something that almost never actually happens, all rolled into one:

Injustice Year 5, issue 14.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

SomeMathGuy posted:

It's weird that they assumed it would be the kiddiest show when the underlying premise is an ultra-nihilistic "Everyone who says Batman's war on crime is doomed to pointlessness and failure is right" take, but maybe that grew out of the planning phases as a natural consequence of wanting a younger character as a Batman-in-training sort.

I think I might've been at that panel - were they also showing off that short-lived Legion of Superheroes cartoon? Small world.

Anyway, content - Mr. Weatherbee is sick of bears, and your poo poo:

e: Source is Jughead #8.

You know how in some continuities, Alfred is a retired SAS combat medic? They should do something similar with the Riverdale faculty. Riverdale: Red Dawn.

The Bee is a retired marine. Ms. Grundy was a MASH nurse in Korea or Vietnam or whatever's appropriate these days. Prof. Flutesnoot worked for OSI, or CIA's OST or something. Coach Kleats taught 'unconventional warfare' to 'freedom fighters' in wherever is appropriate for the timeframe.

To the kids, of course, they're just their usual doddering old selves. Then Commies/Aliens/Zombies/Whatever invade, and the faculty step up and start whipping the kids into shape. Make it dark as hell.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Wade Wilson posted:

This is somewhat what happens in Afterlife with Archie, except the faculty are presumably all dead and the kids are surviving by basically running away.

One of them just made a literal deal with the Old Ones to have them restore the girl he loves to life in exchange for him betraying the remaining survivors by murdering the one keeping them going.

Yeah, AwA is good. So was the one where the two comic lines were parallel dimensions.

Archie Comics does some really awesome stuff.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

10 Beers posted:

Is this the one with the infamous zombie dog scene? Man, that one got me.

Yup, and The Blossom Twins taken to a dark and disturbing place. And I think Jughead is hinted to "like" Archie.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Have they touched on Jughead's mysterious hypnosis hat pin that makes the ladies go crazy in the new ones?

Heh, I was going to mention his magic rape pin.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Nessus posted:

While true, it's not on like, an ongoing basis.

Yes, on an ongoing basis. It's not like he's shooting up, but he's still riding on that first sweet hit.

Also, I really liked in Ultimate X-Men when it turns out that Colossus turns to living steel, but that's it. When he changed, he was so heavy, he couldn't move. So he started juicing on mutant steroids, I want to say they were called Banshee, and that's why he was so, what's the word the kids use these days? Ripped? Jacked? Whatever. Point being, he'd been juicing since his teens. I thought that was an interesting take, especially given the company's historical view of basically 'mutant power awesome' or 'stupid, and you're a Morlock.' Which harkens back to Wild Cards, I guess. Or is it the other way around?

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 14, 2016

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

The sound effects are all racial slurs.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Chaos Hippy posted:

I was going to say, I can't really argue with this. WestBats wouldn't have to obey traffic laws, but he darned well would.

He knows, in his Bat-Heart of Bat-Hearts, that while he was lecturing Robin about the importance of following traffic laws, Penguin, who just ran a red light, would have a near-collision and the Penguinmobile would wind up crashing into a fishmonger's stand or something. "Let that be a lesson to you...."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dareon posted:

I like that Jughead's whoopee cap looks significantly less crownlike.

... I would not complain if the whoopee cap made a comeback. Mostly because they were apparently made from fedoras.

You'd take dad's old fedora and cut up the brim. Over time, Jug's just got more and more stylized.

Original era Archie comics are an amazing trice of period slang and trivia. Like Veronica being a sub-deb.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I really like the "gods receive power from worshipers" trope because it's a good narrative device that explains why old gods may have faded away, allowing you to dispense with ones you don't want to use; provides a mechanism for introducing new gods that isn't "I guess she was born out of his forehead"; and allows you to scale individual power levels rather arbitrarily for whatever sort of story you're writing (Thor is the most powerful of the classical gods because neo-nazis exist).

If you haven't, read Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Nessus posted:

These are excellent books, this does not mean the concept needs to ring eternal. People got sick of elves and poems in fantasy novels too.

I suggested it because Small Gods is an amazing look at what 'powered by the belief of mortals' might work like in the real world, and an excellent meditation on what faith actually is, and how it interacts with the bureaucracies of large organized religions.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

Welcome to the limit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Green Hornet, issue 10.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

And somehow I'd believed that this was an original idea (the comic linked to is fine, but Oglaf as a whole can be :nws:)

There's also http://oglaf.com/erstwhile/ :nsfw:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Aside from the fact that it's faithful to the point of basing compositions on individual comic panels, the direction of the movie is not "taken" from the comic (comic books are not directed). It's rather obvious from things like how scenes, action, and dialogue play out. One example is how the comic at points indulges in empty negative space that has a coldly calming effect, while in the movie this aspect is completely absent.

Here's a 300 funny to get away from the derail:

The movie ruined one of the utterly defining moments in the comic.
In the comic, when Leonidas boots the Persian emissaries into the giant well, he's offhand, casual, Laconic, almost bored.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Differing from source material is not ruining.

It is when it completely changes the characterization.

Skwirl posted:

Fitting since that's where we get the word "laconic" from.

Exactly. The point is, the Spartans were literally a country full of snarky bastards. In the comic, Leonidas didn't give a poo poo; some fools got up in his grill, and he disposed of them like tossing out the trash. In the movie, he goes into the whole vein-popping roid rage routine.

It's exactly the same problem as the 'you know what happens to a toad that gets hit by lightning' line; a different delivery of the exact same thing changes the entire tone, the entire motivation, everything.

You know, let alone the fact that one of the entire points of the comic is that team work, disciplined formations and proper military behavior were able to hold out against the larger numbers of the Persians, but in the movie, they're just running around like superheroes. Yes, I get that the framing device is Dilios hyping up the newbs, but again, it gives the kids the wrong lesson. Oh, and the 'boy lovers' line, given that Sparta had institutionalized the practice of pedagogy.
:goonsay:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The study of teaching?

Yes sorry, I had 'pedophila,' 'pederasty,' and the agoge all mixed up in my poor little brain.

Also, Spartans were famed for giving up their seats to old people while watching the Olympics.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

purple death ray posted:

I'm not saying this is an intentional reference but I definitely think pro comic book people would water down a reference like that for plausible deniability if it was deliberate.

There's only so many ways to illustrate 'distraught man goes to hospital looking for wife.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

prefect posted:

After this, let's argue about Hydrox and Oreos.

Hail Hydrox?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Goonie Tang is the name of my 80s Hip-Hop tribute band.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Oh my god. "You hear that? Sorry, of course you don't." Superdickery at it's finest.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ur face when the grooming is almost finished.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

When asked what the J stands for, apparently his default answer is "Genius"

What a Jenius might look like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

Other guy, whose right hand is apparently transparent.

And also bifurcated at the wrist into two hands.