Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Great, I look forward to Herc being a c-list comic relief that shows up whenever Greg Pak has some free time again or somebody needs a beefy bisexual guy for a gay joke. Hoo-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I like how loving Spider-Man is okay with such a petty and vindictive of superpowers.

With great power comes great dickishness.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm ambivalent about the whole 'just draw the character as whatever character you'd cast them as' thing, but Tommy Lee Jones as Norman Osborn is still absolutely perfect. I can hear every single word in his voice.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Captain Bravo posted:

Isn't "Merc for Money" kind of redundant? Like, the only thing separating a Mercenary from a Serial Killer is that a merc gets paid.

Hey man, some people get into mercing for the love of the game.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Wade Wilson posted:

He was sad because he didn't do it first.

He owned the insurance company that was going to have to pay out to all of the victims.

It was a malfunctioning Doombot.

He was the more recent incarnation of Doom that is trying to be a "good person".

Take your pick.

The Latverian Embassy was in the WTC, and he was mourning the loss of all the Doombots who staffed it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Flintstones #2

So 'crap' is the origin of animals used as household appliances. The major religion in Bedrock worships animals, so the sudden perception of them as vacuum cleaners and record players is a problem.

It's almost disconcerting to see this comic pull a goofy 'Eh, it's a living!' joke like the original Flintstones.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Dario the Wop posted:

About a dozen concussions.

And those are just the ones he got from Roufusport!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Buckets posted:

Clown 9 was the greatest hero of our age :buddy:

This post makes me really nostalgic for when Cloud9 had a Dota 2 team.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Fereydun posted:

deadpool #57 (2012)

I think whoever drew this should be drawing a Venture Brothers comic.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

I like the line, but like...how does that result in anything but Black Bolt proceeding to scream and dissolving Hulk from reality?

I'm guessing the Hulk has enough strength to hold Black Bolt's jaw shut if he lays hands on him, and at that point it's down to whether or not Black Bolt would (or even can) blow off his own jaw to scream the hulk into his constituent atoms.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Who What Now posted:

It kind of did. Especially when all the smartest people on earth all tried to just out brute force the Hulk instead of just shunting him off to the negative zone or the planes of ghenna or wherever the gently caress they're sending mega-villains to chill until the plot requires them these days.

Pretty sure "let's just shunt the Hulk off somewhere harmless" is how they got into that mess in the first place.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

wiegieman posted:

Hickman is also the writer who had Johnny Storm bring democracy to the insectoid masses, which they then used to vote for Annihilus.

Getting a lot of use out of this lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

X-O posted:

Exactly my thoughts. If you look at that panel and get this out of it:

You're either really misreading it or just desperately looking too deep for something to make a stink about.

In a vacuum I'd say it was about a dude saying "TO ME, MY BIRD". In the context of this being the same guy who wrote this:

I'd say it's a 50/50 whether it's about bird puns or Captain Falcon apologizing for not being 'one of the good ones'.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

It's a really slow burn, but every time I see a page from that book I start to like it more and more. By this time next year I might actually buy an issue.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Malachite_Dragon posted:

itt we write Old World Of Darkness fanfiction starring Frank Castle

White Wolf's new management is already way ahead you on this, unfortunately it looks like they tapped the elfgames equivalent of Frank Miller and a transphobic wanna-be puppetmaster for it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I feel like you could fabricate an Immortal Weapon who pulls the Drunken Master shtick without much trouble.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

From the guy who brought us:

Mark Russell recounts Snagglepuss' origin in the backup of Green Lantern/Space Ghost.

:rimshot:

Why are Snagglepuss and what I'm assuming is Augie Doggie the only two talking animals to be found in the Snagglepuss stuff?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

zoux posted:

Jean Grey #2 variant

This has reminded me how much I enjoyed having Namor hang out with the X-Men.

The gently caress is he up to? The only thing I remember hearing about is him being decapitated, and then subsequently recapitated.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

X-O posted:

I know this is a small panel and probably a trick, but this Greg Land art looks ok? Does Pak make up for Land? If so I might pick it up.

My impression of the first issue was precisely that Pak made up for Land, in fact.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I've not been following the GOTG comics, do they at any point explain how or why Drax picked up his movie characterization?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

We get it, Reed, you're disappointed with your Fitbit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

purple death ray posted:

What the gently caress happened to Warren now?!

Some sort of cosmic thing, and now he's got space fire wings. It happened in some non-X book and has been poorly explained.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

prefect posted:

I wonder what he thinks they do at sewage-treatment plants.

I completely buy the idea that Reed's first reaction to seeing something he's unfamiliar with or skeptical of in a movie is to try and reproduce it in his lab, rather than just Googling it like a normal human being.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

That's John Constantine.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

nerdman42 posted:

Preview from Batman/Elmer Fudd #1. This is already the best thing that's ever happened.

I don't know when exactly DC decided to get subversive as gently caress with all their parent company cartoon properties, but it might be the best idea they've ever had.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Why is Spider-Man webbing up John Constantine?

It's Constantine. He probably deserves it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ghosthorse posted:

I would add that even if you're explicitly being paid by Marvel to write X-Men books you still don't need to understand it or care

Yeah, just jam together a bunch of pseudoscience words until it sounds cool and roll with it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

prefect posted:

Did they pierce his ears?

Probably just ear cuffs. I have a few, they're nice if you want some ear jewelry but are a colossal wuss like me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

From Iceman #6 this week. I wish the last Herc book had been better, but at least it was enough to remind people writing good books that Herc exists.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mostly. Still less of a joke but more light-hearted, still has a lot of modern weapons because why not. He goes to a gay club with Iceman to act as wingman (along with the rest of the Champions).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

Oh. Wasn't sure if any of this happened in other books like whichever Avengers book he's in.

He shows up briefly in the Legacy Avengers book and he seems pretty upbeat there as well, especially as it relates to getting to punch stuff with Amadeus, but that's about it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So it turns out giving a horribly traumatized child an infinitely powerful weapon is not a good idea. Who knew.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ariong posted:

It’s possible to get past the anti-killing tech in a green lantern ring as long as you’re dabbing hard enough.

"Nobody could ever possibly think this looks cool," thought Ganthet. "It's the perfect fail-safe."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I thought Porky was the put-upon everyman, kind of an audience surrogate.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ecavalli posted:

That’s kind. I always thought he was a vehicle to mock speech impediments (and, occasionally, chubby milquetoasts).

You know, I can't actually ever think of a time where somebody made fun of Porky specifically about his speech impediment. I'm sure it happened, but as far as I can remember it was always something that was just there, but never actually the butt of a joke.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is Guy arm-wrestling Lobo? How did that not end immediately?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

cisneros posted:

Was it this guy

God, I love this sort of poo poo. This level of thought and detail into complete pseudoscience garbage is my favorite thing about old comics.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

It's the latest issue of "Batman". I only subscribe to "Superman" and "Batman", so I can't say to how good the other titles are.

Superman is basically the adventures of Clark, Lois and their kid, Jon.

Batman has been shaping up good too, and this latest one... I just really like how they're going with Clark and Bruce aren't just friendly, but actually good friends. There's real admiration for each other and also each wanting approval from the other. And they just *get* each other.

Also, I think it was last year(?) there were some issues of Clark and Bruce forcing Damien and Jon to work together to solve problems. The relationship between Damien and Jon is good and funny too.

Batman and Superman's relationship also led to the single best page since the Rebirth Era has started.

That's the Batman outfit from the Batman/Planetary crossover, isn't it. That's rad.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Onmi posted:

Sorry, we now have to change the name of all things used by people we disagree with. Because that's the reasonable thing to do, not "Continue doing what we were before and not letting the actions of a minority affect the world thus giving them more power."

We should absolutely let the actions of minorities change the world, giving them more power.

We should stop thinking of Nazis as minorities, and properly recognize them as enemies of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

lowercase16 posted:

The new Batman run is really cute and good.

In the latest issue, Batman, Catwoman, Superman, and Lois go on a double date to a carnival on superhero night.

(spoilered because it's still a new issue)

They don't want to wear their actual costumes because they're afraid they'll be recognized, so they trade costumes.There's a lot of hijinks involved, but the important thing to know is that everyone at the carnival is dressed up as a superhero.

Toward the end of the night, a thief darts out of the crowd and steals Lois' wallet:

I about died laughing.

In case anyone doesn't get it: the thief is dressed as The Question, who was created by Steve Ditko, who was a hardcore Objectivist. The thing he's shouting is a quote from Ayn Rand.

Please tell me the next panel is the actual Question clotheslining that dude and saying "Yes, I am."