Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Whenever he tries the bullets just hit a Status Quo field and bounce off.

If the bullets bounced back towards the Punisher they would bounce off his Status Quo field and get caught in an infinite ricochet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Someone post Punisher laying fists on Spidey and Spidey totally no-sells it.

This one?

Punisher: War Zone #1, Greg Rucka and Carmine Di Giandomenico, 

Lobok fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 16, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Choco1980 posted:

Did...did they just kill their own past selves?

The car was destroyed but the past selves survived and got in the other car with their other selves. So there's two sets of them careening through time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red posted:

I wish I knew where this was from.

The person who scanned this image should probably re-calibrate, unless I missed a period of Spider-Man's comics where his costume was red and forest green.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chaos Hippy posted:

You might want to check the settings on your monitor.

Holy crap, you're right. I have two monitors here at work and for some reason this one is way off. I can drag my browser over to other monitor and the green turns to blue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wizard is a genius with technology but maybe doesn't have the most street smarts...

And Paste-Pot Pete is a tech expert too but sometimes you don't always have to reinvent the wheel. Picking up a perfectly normal pair of binoculars probably would have done the trick:

Strange Tales #110

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Maybe it's a long term "oh, you want power, Living Ghost? Here's ALL OF IT!" strategy, making the LG stronger and stronger until he finally explodes or something.

Or he's trying to make Living Ghost so big and powerful that the likes of Tony and his girlfriend are beneath him. Screw humanity, save the girl.

mind the walrus posted:

No matter how batshit insane you think comics are you can count on the Golden Age to beat it.

There should definitely be a Golden Age Challenge Month or something at Marvel or DC where writers are given some ridiculously small amount of time to think of a plot and script for an issue. Bonus if it's not for a character they're currently assigned to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

They also have to work from a finished cover they had no input on.

Yes! Having to fill in the gaps or explain someone else's zany premise would definitely lead to better results.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 11 starting off well.

Doesn't look like Spider-Man has a verified account. I don't think that's him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red posted:

Magneto, the master of magnetism and bizarre hoarding.

Did Magneto go to a carnival and get scammed into buying an empty box?

"Whoa, he's so small you can't even see him!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's the source of the Wolverine/Sabretooth page?

prefect posted:

Black mask with white skull; I'm thinking either Taskmaster or Crossbones.

Don't know why he's mostly naked, but that's definitely Crossbones' mask and build.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I love Newspaper Spider-Man and everything he stands for.

This is a genius comic because the first two panels can be reused in the next strip when Ant-Man or whoever slips through the webbing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite part is the sound of him being punched in the face is "Quack."

Maybe Larry Lieber talks like Baba Wawa.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Your honor, it was dark and I thought she was Spider-Man!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dude with the name Radd tends to be quite a downer.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #2

Cage is looking to make a costume for himself and the shop owner has a marvelous idea.

In the rest of the scene, Cage finds all the elements of his iconic costume from a failed escape artist if you've ever wondered about the tiara or the chain. You get the sense Romita designed the costume and then Archie Goodwin tried to figure out where in the hell that getup would come from. Cage says he can relate to the escape artist (since he busted out of jail in his origin).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If someone thinks that IS Spider-Man and attacks him, then what?

<<10/10 great Spidey costume, would attack with Spider-Slayers

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Since Spider-Man has his Spider-Mobile, it's only fair that Prowler gets one too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instagram account classic_batman_panels has a great one up today:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Welp, that was my one ride on the back of an ant I can use per day. Guess you're stuck using public transportation!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are famous photographers but in the Marvel world being a Bugle byline would not make a person a household name. There was that time when he went on tour and on TV to hawk his "Webs" photography collection coffee table book but that would not have made much of a difference.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kwyndig posted:

Peter Parker's secret identity is simultaneously the smartest and dumbest thing in his series.

Definitely interesting how his life as Spider-Man gets in the way of his life as Peter but it's being Spider-Man that funds his life as Peter. From a story perspective you have a character who wants to go out and find trouble as much as possible.

This is why it was weird during the Superior Spider-Man series when Ghost Peter is trying to tell Dr. Octopus-as-Spidey that he has to go out on patrol. Most of the reason for the nightly patrol was to get photographs but with working at Horizon it was not clear why he had to go out and actively seek crime for its own sake.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Seek out crime just by swinging around I mean. He could follow leads or get info from cops or Avengers. But he was getting mad at Octavius for not spending his night out just hoping to come across something when Ock had a surveillance system set up already.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

One time Carnage escaped by sending the Symbiote out through an online game.

One time a dude was watching Carnage through a video conference and said it wasn't real, just special effects, so Carnage sent a tendril through the telecommunications system somehow and drilled through the dude's face.

Even up to the moment before the drill went through his face he thought it was some impressive 3D hologram coming out of his screen.

Edit: Found it. Venom: Carnage Unleashed #3

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 7, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kwyndig posted:

Oh [tech villain], don't you know you could earn millions selling [tech] to ____ instead of committing petty theft?

comicbooks.txt

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

joehonkie posted:

Kite Man probably did more property damage than the jewelry is worth. He's like those people that steal copper wiring and pipes to sell for pennies when most of the damage replacement cost isn't actually the materials.

Did that Damage Control series ever do a story where one of the employees was a supervillain (or employed them) so that Damage Control would get more business? Insurance fraud, basically.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red posted:

Holy cow - do you remember the issue? I really want to see this.

I always figured the web-shooters were more about precision touch.

It depends on the writer. I remember reading that Mackie issue at the time too and I thought it was cool, and it has stuck with me. I think of it when they show other people using the webshooters like it ain't no thang.

One thing that doesn't come up anymore, especially in the adaptations, is how the webshooters need(ed?) a double-tap to fire, or else making a fist or grabbing stuff would accidentally fire them. Easy to get around if you show that the trigger is wide and detects the absence of the other two fingers, but... they never do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red posted:

The issue I was thinking of where Peter explains his powers to MJ is Spider-Man #26 (vol 1; 1992), or a free 1993 Halloween comic. Can't find any scans, though.

I wish I could find it, he goes into detail about being able to stick to walls and stuff.

I remember that one. Used to have all the 30th anniversary issues. Isn't it the one where he explains his bond to walls is crazy strong? It shows Colossus ripping him off a brick wall but only because the bricks broke apart from the rest of the wall.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Bravo posted:

It's a weird feeling seeing Spider-Man be happy. I think maybe, on some level, it's because unhappy Spider-Man has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It looks so beautiful, and he so deserves it, but the fact that you know something is going to gently caress it all up kind of makes you not want it to happen.

gently caress, how in the hell does Spider-Man have any self-esteem left? Now I'm depressed. :smith:

At some point Parker Luck became less about the trials and tribulations a normal person would face being a superhero if they didn't have as much plot armour as Cap or Iron Man and turned into Murphy's Law.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SynthOrange posted:

It may just be my deep seated hatred of lovely lovely animation tainting my view of the entire franchise though. Even 5 year old me quickly learned to associate Hanna Barbera with barely moving bad cartoons.

Man, that's half the reason I can't get into a bunch of cartoons nowadays. Archer and Bojack Horseman are so utterly boring to watch. Simpsons spoiled me.

Adventure Time is amazing obviously.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The two biggest storylines in Spider-Man's history where they try and get Spider-Man to a different place in terms of attitude and heroics were the Clone Saga and Superior Spider-Man and it's interesting that one tried to get him back to an older version and one ended up with him having his act together and being really successful in life. And both stories went about it by having someone else fill the Spider-Man role for a while.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Whatever you think of Slott's writing (:itwaspoo:) he at least had the luxury of not having 30 different people pulling and extending Superior in different contradictory directions out of his control.

Yeah, the Clone Saga and the Hobgoblin identity question are both very instructive lessons in why you should not drag out a mystery for too long because whoever started it might not be the same people who resolve it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You would think that this being a Spider-Man story, she would have died (even if only seemingly) and Ock would have learned a lesson like with Peter and Uncle Ben's death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SonicRulez posted:

It's not really fair to Otto to say he's not redeemed because he doesn't become Peter Parker.

Even if the whole story is about him supposedly trying to become better than Peter?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

The whole point is that he fails to be a better Peter Parker than Peter Parker, but in the end learns to be a slightly better Otto Octavius.

Right, but for a character trying to be Spider-Man and for such a long story, ending up only slightly better feels weak.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

It's a glimmer of hope, which I find way more poignant than some huge, flashy reversal. It's showing that he had the potential to actually grow and be better, but he only realized it moments before his death, so that potential will remain forever unfulfilled.

Except that, of course, he'll be back and revert to a cackling villain because that's the nature of the medium, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Dude was brain damaged in his very first issue. He could use less metaphysical brain swapping and more psych meds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Choco1980 posted:

I can't be the only one seeing the ironic parallels between this argument and the panels with Spock and the gun up above, right?

Also sidebar, did they ever do any fallout for Pete, what with having him execute a man in cold blood in front of a crowd of witnesses? I can't imagine the police were too thrilled about that one...

No the parallels are strong but I don't think any of us, or Peter, are advocating for Ock's death/ murder.

As for the fallout IIRC witnesses included civilians and police who protected Spider-Man. Cops in particular were all like "oh I happened to have my back turned, didn't see nothing!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MisterBibs posted:

As one of the GLs once said, Hal (and to a general extent, all GLs) don't buy what Bruce sells. Batman is based on fear, GLs overcome fear.

They overcome their own fear. Do they really have a problem with scaring their enemies?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reminds me of:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phy posted:

Frinkiac and Morbotron are the kindest things to happen to the internet since the sketchy sites that list lyrics for songs.

Frinkiac is almost too good to be true. If someone had told me the idea of the site I would have pictured a terrible, low-quality thing that spat out grainy watermarked Impact font crap.