Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That'll buff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PCS Cory seems to be a maintenance shop.

I'm guessing there's a generator in the box?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was thinking one of those big caterpillar generators, but a transformer makes more sense.

Don't see why they'd list the voltages first high and then low otherwise.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

haveblue posted:

Seriously, though, how did it get up there?

They put it on the roof when the building was small, and now that the building is big and strong the excavator is all the way up there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Can a plane that small hold enough fuel for that trip?

Empirically, no.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Actually no. He asked "can", not "did." You have no idea if it was carrying as much fuel as possible when it began that trip.

The tanks were full up, but sadly it was carrying too much extra weight from that darn airframe parachute.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

What did that guy on the last page get permabanned for?

Posting several pages of goatse

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fatman1683 posted:

That looks like a purpose-built structure though, some kind of obstacle course for excavators. Which is nifty, but not exactly comparable.

Man, you'd think at least one movie would involve an excavator parkour chase scene.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crossposted from the newspaper comics thread

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My hands-on fire extinguisher training got cancelled because some dick in the same building pulled a fire alarm.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flosofl posted:

Probably not. Unlike an ice tray, the sides and bottom of the foundation are most likely well insulated by the earth, so heat transfer will be slower than with contact to the air. So a top-down freeze like a lake or pond. At the very least some serious cracks in the walls and floor, but severe damage compromising the integrity of the foundation is not out of bounds.

Depends how fast the leak is, right?

Of course you could end up with a bunch of ice dams or something that just make poo poo even worse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OSHA Whistleblower Investigator Blows Whistle on Own Agency

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/OSHA-Whistleblower-Investigator-Blows-Whistle-on-Own-Agency--293711041.html

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was made for me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The sign usually says 'Watch for falling rock' around where I am.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

When I was a kid I had a chemistry set. It was made and specifically marketed to kids. It contained small amounts of several substances that were significantly toxic enough to have little skull-and-crossbones icons on the labels.

I had one of those.

You know what they put those labels on?
Iron filings.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just stick it in chernobyl.

I mean the area is contaminated as hell already, not like you can make it that much worse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alas, it was a public works employee and not a dentist.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Another comic strip megathread crosspost.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 9, 1927)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

3x watermark combo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

The sensors themselves are very sensitive to infrared, but because of that there's a hi-pass filter in front of the sensor that blocks most of it, to such a degree that if you want to do infrared photography with a digital camera you either need to mod it to remove that filter or use a tripod because your exposure times are going to be very long.

Functionality on those is a bit hit-and-miss, though, for near IR. You can still pick up a TV remote and stovetop burner really well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drifting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Caconym posted:

A friend of a friend shared this on facebook. Supposedly from a passenger ferry.
Investigations are ongoing as to why there's an e-stop in the toilet.

You mean the 'oh poo poo' button?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

Lol... What kind of dick tells a guy who got both of his arms ripped off by a tractor that he really should have accomplished more? "You're not trying hard enough. How come you're not a silver medalist in Olympic rings?"

Why aren't you a cool cyborg yet?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

Odd that they'd go that direction instead of directly hooking into the optic nerve.

Saliva is nice and conductive, and the tongue is a big accessible area for electrodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Craptacular posted:

I'm guessing you've never seen the inside of a hay baler and/or have no idea how a baler works. There's all sorts of knives and pokey bits rotating around inside and if someone tried getting inside they would both be seriously injured and the baler would break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BVtirYc6Pc

Giant-rear end needles too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Iirc insurancde companies pay for a lot of it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goodness posted:

So are birds oddly enough, and many other small animals.

scorpions, but only for medicinal purposes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What irritates me is that they have the emergency warning alert sound playing in a tv commercial for the emergency warning thing.

So on some channels there's a false alarm every ten minutes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Since we're doing personal OSHA, the company I work for has offices on the top floor of a building, and there's access to a very nice roof deck, with plants and tables and a scenic view of the other skyscrapers nearby. It's the scene of most company parties (weather permitting) and a common place for people on break to hang out.

A little while back, a department which shall remain nameless had a party out there which got a little out of hand. In the grand tradition of Ruining It For Everybody, the powers-that-be decided to lock the door to the roof every night at 6pm or so. The only problem is that there's no lock on the door, since it's a marked fire exit. (Well, a fire entrance, technically. If you're on the roof when an evacuation happens, you need to get back inside to get to the stairs.) Undaunted by this, they have resorted to putting a bike lock on the door handles every evening.

Word is that this is just temporary, and there's a new door on the way which won't be a crime reminiscent of one of those factory fires in Bangladesh. But for now, follow the lighted exit sign and hit the bike lock!

I bet there's some way to turn whistleblowing on that into cash.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flosofl posted:

It may reduce the total amount of fecal bacteria on your toothbrush, but bad news goons. Your entire house is covered with fecal bacteria. It's unavoidable and not unusual.

And if you have a beard, it's teeming with it.

Even worse, I hear at this very moment your body is full of poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

An actual tiger gets loose in Packard Plant in Detroit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

Same here - makes me happy for those plugs that sit flush and can be rotated so the cord doesn't block other outlets. I had an extension cord that sat flush with the outlet but didn't twist so the wire dangled right in front of the outlet below it, effectively blocking use. Wanna strangle the jerk that made that design.

I've heard secondhand it's a cynical way to reduce the risk of being sued if an electrical fire burns down your house.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jiro posted:

That guy just ripping apart the what looked like an ice cream truck was loving hilarious.
It's some dudes screwing around at a scrapyard.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"youtube comments posted:

you can get lungcancer just by breating that poo poo. Belive it or not.. Without flour under ww2, They would not have been able to drop the bomb over japan. But stil people take it in their mouth everyday and belive what they are told.. Never been documented that it is healthy for the teeth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

haveblue posted:

ongoing combustion which is probably not a good thing to drive around on public roads.

... hate to break it to you

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I've always wondered what happened after that. Do they write everything off as lost? Do they have some guys sort out the destroyed stuff from the damaged stuff from the "we can still sell it" stuff? How long did it take them to dig the driver out?

I worked for a automotive supply warehouse briefly, and virtually every box/crate/pallet there weighed a goddamn ton and it looked very similar to that gif, aside from the collapse anyway.

From what I understand, the value of 'this stuff organized on a pallet' is way higher than the value of 'this stuff in a pile' even if it's totally intact. The amount of manpower needed to take a non-palletized pile of cans from a truck to a grocery store is just immense in comparison

So if they're smart, they looked at it, said 'we sure as hell aren't paying our workers little enough for sorting this to be profitable', called a local food shelter and said 'you can have it all, just take it', and wrote it off their taxes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrYenko posted:

They went to the trouble and weight of providing a wrap-around windscreen...

...And made it mostly-opaque.

:wtc:

I think its an umbrella.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlipUp posted:

This was pretty bad too.

$470 000 to set this up in the loving boonies. A lot of idiots are trying to kill the art portion of infrastructure spending because of it.

I do kinda want to fly a biplane through it. Maybe we can sell it to Red Bull.

They didn't kill the art portion here despite it being well-known the mayor was just using it to give money to his friends, so don't worry your boondoggles are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The MiG 25 would kill rabbits along the runway when it fired up its radar.'

• Locked thread