Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Lmao, is there any wonder pairing the world's most precious ADC with the world's most passive-aggressive support didn't work out well?

More interested in the Gambit switch though. Health problems would explain NiQ's uncharacteristically bad performance so far this split. I hope he recovers from whatever it is. At least getting Kori away from MYM has got to be a good thing! Not sure a player known for throwing is what Gambit needs, but Diamond should sync well with Kori's lane aggressiveness at least. We'll see. The theme of the week is "good players are actually bad when they're miserable/terrified/ill" so maybe a free and happy Kori will be just the thing for Gambit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Riv and Quikshot basically have the same problem: Endless catchphrase repetition. I'm pretty sure someone must have told Quikshot about the phrase "Heavens to Betsy" between day 1 and day 2 of EU LCS this week. Never thought he'd miss an opportunity for a dumb rear end catchphrase but he didn't even use it once day 1, where day 2 he couldn't go a whole sentence without saying it.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
The best part of that IEM lineup is the Yoe Flash Wolves. Finally, in Season 5, we get to see the return of the Gama Bears!

The return of the 'fro!

The return of the man, the man named Steak!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Ooh good, now it's time for EL vs. MYM. Looking forward to watching the Punch & Judy show this will surely turn out to be.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Sejuani is good if you don't punish her early. She gets played all the time in GPL because the play there isn't organized to consistently do so. Expect to see more of her in the future, though, since she doesn't care about either the warrior or the chilly smite nerf!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
^^^ So that's why Sjokz came dressed in leather

Flipswitch posted:

I don't get how prolly is a coach, isn't his claim to fame being kicked off complexity?

Reading between the lines of both why he kept getting kicked and why teams kept wanting to hire him, Prolly seems like a really smart guy with a bananas work ethic who expects a lot from his teammates. I can see why that last attribute would make you want to tell him to gently caress right off as a fellow player, but those all seem like qualities you'd want in a coach.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Libertine posted:

I watched Prolly stream a few times and he always seemed really knowledgeable. On one stream he let his viewers call what champion he played and then he played it through, built items on it, explained the item choices and why they worked, the breakpoints of the game, and how to get ahead and what to do. I legitimately think he can probably play any champion in the game very well and his deep knowledge of the game is probably a major asset from coaching.

I think he was always underwhelming as a player, because he never really had mechanical dominance which is all that really matters as a Mid laner. And his teammates and the teams he played on were generally awful.

He had great game sense though. I feel like he could have made it a lot further as a pro if he played Support or Jungle. Coaching seems to suit him well though.

Does Prolly still stream? I'd love to watch some of that.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
gently caress you, Cris. Your new personal goal is "Hit a skillshot". I'll even be generous - Flash counts.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
The only bad part of TSM Dark losing Azingy is that we won't get to see the name Big Ol Ron next split.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Allyn posted:

I dunno about this, he's been *awful* this season. Just mindless dying over and over. I used to like him if for no other reason than he's one of the few actual Brits still playing (it's just him, KaSing and Fredy now I think) but hoo boy he's struggling enormously, imo. It's possible that's just an extension of the rest of his team being unsalvageable but I dunno anymore

For me the most frustrating part of watching Coast this season is that Impaler and Sheep have both played much better in the past than they're playing now. Last year Impaler started off as a "smart but with horrible mechanics" jungler and worked his rear end off to the point where he got pretty good. Sheep, when he was on Vulcun, often looked like the one who was doing all the work of trying to carry while the rest of his incompetent idiot team floundered. They're both playing so much worse than their best right now. Has anyone heard any sordid tales of the Coast team atmosphere/gaming house? I'm really curious why everyone is so loving bad.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I don't understand Winterfox's strategy here. Did they just forget the bottom half of the map exists for like the first 8 minutes? This isn't even getting outplayed, this is just deciding to lose.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Libertine posted:

Every single person on Cloud 9 is playing their best or second best champion.

For real, if Cloud 9 got a set of skins I could believe this being the exact lineup.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Only if we get a Yellowstar Thresh when Fnatic wins! :v:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I usually poo poo on Lee Sin picks this season, but Rush really seems to be making it work for him. TIP will be a great team to watch if they start getting their macro strategies together!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Missed the first 25 minutes of this game, did the casters say anything about Xmithie's weird rear end item build? What order did he build his jungle item + archangel's in?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Most of that graph is predictable enough, but the thing I don't really get is why Team Liquid got the largest clump of ex-LMQ fans. I can't really think of anything those teams have in common.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Speaking of which, does anyone still have Nukeduck.jpg (Nuke with his head on the desk from a couple weeks ago) and Diamond.jpg (sad diamond holding his keyboard from last year)? I figure I might as well start a collection. :v:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
4x report Bjergsen for feeding

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
That game was stupid as hell and I hate to admit I cheered for a Teemo, but my schadenfreude for Gamers2 knows no bounds. Eat poo poo, Teemo new meta 2k15.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

fnox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_NZVgE0vho

holy gently caress that's a nice house.

please ignore the kinda homoerotic undertones.

I think I will, in fact, draw Peke like one of my French girls!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Wow, xpecial really does not have the slightest ability to deliver a joke.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Hey, you know how it goes, he's gotta git gud for the new skin. And there's no practice like practice against a pro team!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
YamatoCannon seemed like a smart guy whenever they had him on the desk this split, even if he was seemingly born without a sense of humour. I'd be willing to believe it's a positive move for the team. I hope Roccat isn't doesn't think a change in coaches will solve all their problems, though - they could probably do with excising the whole team except Vander and Jankos and rebuilding from the ground up, IMO.

Speaking of coaches on the analyst desk, any particular reason NA didn't do this? I enjoyed hearing what the different coaches had to say about things in EU. Pr0lly, Dentist and Leviathan are just plain good personalities to have around in the land of players who sound like they've never talked to a human being face to face before, not to mention it's good to have someone with actual insight on the desk rather than, say, Quikshot.

Wol fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 16, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
You talk about bringing coaches onto the desk as a necessity, but honestly, I think it's a good way to get people invested in the teams. Most people cheering for H2K (at least in this thread) like them because they're "Team Pr0lly", and lord knows I wouldn't give half a gently caress about CW if it wasn't for Dentist.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Calax posted:

Edit: also the guy Alex Ich is replacing, TDK's Kyle, is now going back to Korea to retire, so I guess Alex is here to stay for TDK.

Hm. I hope Alex does a solid and brings Yuno up with him.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Just finished watching the Finals. Dragon is to UoL what Baron is to Dignitas - throughout the season and the playoffs, if they get behind by mid-game or have a comp that shouldn't be contesting mid-game dragons, they will inevitably pick bad fights around dragon and lose the game. From what I can see that's their one major weakness and they're actually quite good otherwise. They showed themselves much more efficient than Fnatic when it comes to capitalizing on and closing out a lead. They're alright ant drawing out games and playing from behind later on - they could do with faster decision-making in those scenarios but there's no glaring weakness there, they just need to improve on what they already have. It's specifically the decision to contest early and mid-game dragons when they shouldn't that keeps loving them. Hopefully Sheepy manages to cure them of this tendency (and sends Vardags to a loving lane farming boot camp while he's at it). I can see them being a very strong team without this dumb flaw.

Not really sure what Fnatic needs to reach their next level. Their picks & bans are a little sketchy (see: their no-CC team comps and/or picking a late-game comp against UoL ever) but "get better picks & bans" is a bit nebulous insofar as a strategy for improvement. Sadly, they might have to give Steeelback the boot. In this series, he mostly looked like a strictly worse Vardags - Vardags' known poor laning phase was still better than Steeelback's, and Steeelback didn't measure up to the Dag's teamfight either. People have been saying that there's no way in hell Fnatic should take Rekkles back, but honestly, Rekkles would be a good fit for the team. They don't need someone like Forgiven in the ADC position - they have strong carries in both solo lanes. They don't even need someone aggressive - laning with the team captain means you never have to worry about making a decision, just do your job and turn on the gas when you're told. Rekkles just so happens to be exactly that kind of steady player.

As for NA, it was kind of a boring series but at least TSM won. Comparing the current strength of both teams, TSM really should have 3-0'd, but I guess TSM still has that tendency to play like garbage in Game 1s. C9 right now reminds me of s3 TSM - a team with some excellent players but also a bushel of problems, just lazily coasting along, not bothering to get any better because the rest of their region is even worse. Whatever changes they need to make - whether Balls or Lemon should go, I can't say - Hai should not be allowed to play mid lane any more. He's not mechanically good, he doesn't play anything, and he doesn't pay attention. Like TSM at the end of S3, the team needs to break away from their tried-and-true formula and make some changes before they sink into the pits of irrelevence.

Basically go TSM, go TL, and if C9 keeps up the laziness I hope they rot in the pit with CLG.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Calax posted:

Wasn't there an SK game where Deficio was talking about a one of the players and ended with "AND he's a Dane!" which left Quickshot harping on that point for a few minutes.

Yeah it's also known as every game, and every time someone brings up Bjergsen around him

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Sexpansion posted:

I think the issue is that you can't succeed without /r/lol, and his stuff was getting shadow-banned by the mods. So what else can he do besides talk about it?

Edit: Also they obviously really didn't like this http://www.dailydot.com/esports/reddit-moderators-riot-games-league-of-legends-nda/

Maybe I'm missing the point of Reddit, but I don't really get what supposed evil is being exposed here. Are NDAs supposed to be an evil in and of themselves?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I watched most of GPL this season and the thing about the Bangkok Titans is they're bad but they're also crazy and sometimes sheer willingness to commit to something makes you win games when your opponents are just trudging along with whatever milquetoast poo poo they've been playing all patch.

Edit: Also, Leviathan not having a job right now is loving surreal. In tyool 2015, when you see Top 3 Team H2K sitting beside you reiterating "yeah seriously our coach is the entire reason we're not garbage" every week, how do you be so prideful as to act like a fucker to your coach to the point where he doesn't even want to talk to you any more? I'm not buying the "pro gamers are literal children" excuse that always gets tossed around in this thread. 17 is old enough to take responsibility for the consequences of your god drat actions. I guess Gambit can languish in the pits of poo poo next split. As team infrastructure becomes more and more important, life skills like "not making GBS threads on the people who are actively right now helping you be successful" become more important as well. We're already seeing it with Elements. If Gambit must become another example, so be it. I just hope Leviathan finds another coaching gig with a team who deserves him.

Wol fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

TheModernAmerican posted:

Perhaps there's more than one champion that is good against Kalista.

Not true, League of Legends is one of those Rock Paper Scissors variants with way too many options except each champion counters and is countered by exactly one other champion, and every other matchup is a 50/50 random draw to determine which player is the "lucker noob" and which is the "feeder noob".

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Just tuned into EU Promotion - who's this casting alongside Deficio? Pulse?

Edit: Good to know Takefun still loving sucks

Wol fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 25, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Reminder that the big ol' carry on Reason Gaming is Celaver, a player deemed too milquetoast for Roccat last split.

Second reminder: Gamers2 is worse than this team. :laugh:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Schiavona posted:

Yeah, Reason were the team out of the two with the best shot into the LCS right? I expect the other series to be 3 back-to-back 20 minute surrenders.
The Dutch team facing Roccat (LLL/CWA) is better than Reason. CozQ (mid) and Vizility (adc) aren't the best, but they have some pretty strong players in Morsu (top) and Hybrid (sup). Those two are better than anyone on RG. Then again, Roccat is a better team than Giants, so they might still get smoked.

Killed By Death posted:

PiraTechnics, I think.
Pira has a NA accent. It is Pulse, saw him between games.

Wol fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 25, 2015

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Lovechop posted:

reason were actually 5th and they only got in because DIG EU had to forfeit due to the dumb challenger series rules, they were only above mouz (who were next level bad)
This series would be a lot funnier if we got to see Brokenshard dying to jungle camps to liven things up.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Digging this inspirational lion king music in between games in EU Promotion

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
No coach for CWA? I was kind of hoping that being affiliated with CW would get them Dentist for a couple days or something.

Fake edit: mid Lulu and adc Urgot for Roccat? They're really putting all their late game damage on Overpow? Ok then Roccat

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Calax posted:

Isn't Sheepie (the UoL coach) supposed to be on the desk today for analysis?

Yeah he's the guy who looks exactly like Zirene.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Xpecial cannot betray his programming to destroy.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I'm torn. I was all in for FSN up until that beautiful Kiwi promo. Really not sold on J4 top or Kennen support without Kalista though, so go FSN in this game at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Dig, it's not too late to apologize to CloudNguyen...

• Locked thread