Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Didn't they end up making like an entire set based around that really lovely skull servant card
yeah

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wight

between wightprince and wightmare it's actually a viable deck for casuals now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she's only in season 0

i guess serenity technically took over her role

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least he gets a better rep than the female characters in any season of yugioh, ever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Aki was briefly good, until they decided that her being a good female duelist with superpowers was too intimidating and not feminine enough.

I have some hopes for Yuzu, but they are not high.
She was good for like, five episodes, max. Even by the end of the first arc you can see Crow sidelining her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Another unpopular opinion I have: I don't mind, hell, I like Crow Hogan, I think he is a down dude
Crow is okay

but I hate what he did to the rest of the cast. he basically sidelined the twins + aki so that they could have the main three characters basically repeat the Yugi/Joey/Seto dynamic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but Luca/Luna was cool. I liked that miniarc where she went on a fantasy adventure with a lion and the Dark Magician.

Basically I have to wonder if they got some sort of corporate mandate to make Season 3 more like Duel Monsters, like what happened to Gundam 00 inbetween seasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked both of the twins. :shobon:

Though I am probably the only person in the world who is generally fine with the token idiot, hot-blooded, tagalong kid in anime.
Leo was fine when he was just the dumb kid tagalong and his sister was doing most of the actually plot relevant stuff, but then he pushed her aside

and then they both got sidelined, but she got more sidelined than him

basically 5ds is the story of the time Yu-Gi-Oh almost had not one, not two, but three decent female characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of OPs, can we talk about the newer dub OPs, because oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO6F2W-UOgM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

The 5Ds opening was my favorite thing about the dub for a long time until I heard Eric Stuart voice the knight dude.
going fast

makes me feel alive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I never did watch past the first few episodes of GX. Now, I'm wondering what the hell you guys are talking about. All the female character chat is making me think that female Seto Kaiba doesn't live up to being a Seto Kaiba. That saddens me greatly.
The Seto analogue in GX is Chazz, at least in the first season.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

So something has been bugging me for a while, what exactly is the concept behind Synchro and XYZ? Like, with Fusion, the monsters are literally supposed to be fusing together to make one monster, but Synchro and XYZ both seem to be the exact same thing? Is it just two different names for what already existed in the game?
Fusion is two *specific* monsters fusing together using specific fusion cards to make the fusion happen. For instance, Red-Eyes and Summoned Skull
Synchro requires a tuner to combine two monsters, but the requirements are much less specific. They only need to combine to be a specific level, not be two specific monsters.
XYZ doesn't require specific monsters, but it does require two monsters of a specific level, and usually a specific type. However, the advantage it has is that you don't need a tuner or a fusion spell to make it happen. If you have two level 4 monsters on the field, you can make a level 4 XYZ.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Oooookay so I'm almost caught up on Arc-V. So am I to assume that Each of the dimensions is supposed to be one of the other shows? I never watched Zexal so I dunno how prevalent Xyz summoning was in there, but if this is some kinda grand scheme to bring back all the protagonists for one grand finale this will be the most amazing children's card game show ever.
someone posted the timeline a few pages ago

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pendulums are kind of overcomplicated but xyz and synchro are really cool mechanics

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

currrent yugioh owns hard if you play skull servants

and why the gently caress wouldnt you play skull servants

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are a lot of cards but the days of just splashing the best cards into your deck are long over. You pick a theme you like, and find cards that support that theme. There's no shame in looking up a decklist and building your own deck off of that, either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I will say. This is pretty cool despite how cheesy it it.
the best part of this is the crowd applauding for pot of greed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Modern Exodia decks are the most hilarious kind of cheese. I'd love to see one pop up in the anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dexie posted:

You want to watch a duel where one person draws their entire deck in one turn while the other person doesn't even get to play? Booooring.
i'd want to see all the different ways they could animate drawing a card

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one thing i have heard about arc-v: the female lead actually gets to duel

is this true or no

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Yes, and they get actual improvement in skill and character development.
are we sure this is yugioh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I just see the dragon as the elephant of the circus. An impressive and exotic beast, tamed for your amusement!

It'd be nice if it was dressed up a little, but Yuya's little speech about 'A dragon with different colored eyes' was hype man enough for me to buy it as fitting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

I just have the minor gripe that I'd rather have them used by a musician duelist than "This is feminine right? Give it to Yuzu." Most characters are basically married to their archetypes even when not dueling, Yuzu not so much.
Really, no female duelist is gonna have a better deck than Aki's army of hosed up plants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

X-Sabers isn't even that great. You don't see it that often. Here's a chart of the deck representation at a random big event.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

has there been a madolche user in any of the animes yet btw

i love me some madolches, those motherfuckers are cute

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Even without his clown outfit, Yuuya is still pretty obviously connected to the idea of a clown, Gongenzaka being the same with his samurai. I know Yuzu has her accessories and draw animation, it just isn't a significant connection to me.
What did Kaiba have to do with dragons besides the fact that he really loving liked dragons

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only series with explicit filler is Duel Monsters, since that was the only one that was working off of a manga. GX, 5DS, and Zexal were all anime from the beginning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

i should have skipped the stupid noah and the cyberspace thing. kaiba literally says "well that was a complete waste of time and let's forget it ever happened"
on the other hand, it has 'nice outfit, dork.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best character is jack atlas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

I played YGO exactly once because I wanted ot see what the game was like.

The answer is "not very good"
:getout:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

http://1157981433.deviantart.com/

This guy has plenty of HD renders from recent cards

Great stuff
he also has HD art of dark magician girl's rear end

great stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the weevil duel owns just for MONSTER CARD! DRAW! MONSTER CARD! DRAW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

It's not like how the third series of Digimon went all Diet Evangelion on everyone, is it? :ohdear:
what the gently caress

tamers owned

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

I actually own a commissioned Chazz Princeton plushie complete with frayed ends of his blazer, courtesy of some friends in North Carolina as a birthday present one time. It has a voice box that when pressed says "If it can't hide the dirt, I don't want it over my shirt!"
it belongs in a museum

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Has Ash aged like, at all? He started this nonsense when he was 10 and I'm pretty sure he should just be middle-aged and sad that he's accomplished mostly nothing.
its a show for kids

you weren't meant to watch it for 15 years

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hjalmar posted:

there are no fusion monsters that are just "1 LIGHT monster + 1 EARTH monster" or along those lineso you can start fusion summoning like Yuya and Yuzu did - just by slapping Polymerization in your deck.
then what am i running in my skull servant deck

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wonder if they're doing Red Eyes support because of the remastered duel monsters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I mean, it's not like they exactly had enough to really make a viable Joey starter deck in this day and age. It can be a little bit of both - give Joey some love, free marketing through remastered duel monsters, be able to pimp out Joey focused starters/booster packs the way they have with Yugi and Kaiba.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

The only worthwhile cards Joey ever had in his deck were Scapegoat and Jinzo
Goblin Attack Force wasn't bad back in the day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

^That's what I thought at the start, then it just didn't deliver on that premise enough :(

The Tomato episode is a blessing. The sub file for that episode work with any episode in the yugioh franchise:

now put the sub files for that episode over selector infected wixoss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

atem is a pretty cool dude

yugi is boring as gently caress though