Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ZakAce posted:

Better get out your wallet, DStecks.

I've been wanting a new avatar anyway. In honour of the Toxx, it'll be an allusion to the actual #1 worst song, whatever that is.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Senerio posted:

Still surprised there was anyone who didn't peg Wiggle as #1 as soon as they heard it.

My entire logic was based on Todd usually picking something powerfully mediocre as #1, this year he just did the obvious thing. I mean, you could argue it falls in line with the trend of singling out an artist he hated this year, but I certainly couldn't point to any song on the list that I think is anywhere near as bad as Wiggle.

ALSO, since my toxx appears to not have taken effect yet, can I get a REDEMPTION TOXX that Uptown Funk will be #1 best? :toxx:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TODD: Katy Perry hasn't ever sung a song about her boobs

KATY PERRY, IN HER LATEST RADIO HIT: Let me get you in your birthday suit / It's time to get out the big balloons

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jay O posted:

You may also come away from the film with "what a boring slushpile of barely-directed nothing," but you know, Clint Eastwood movie.

Politically it definitely has a cornfed down-home "god bless america" vibe to it, though. It's not creepy or anything, the movie's mostly just dull, but it's definitely aimed more at jerking off the red states than it is actually analyzing war traumas. More "these poor good old boys" with a heavy side of "what brown people? poor veterans."

Which yeah, definitely poor veterans, but not at the expense of the issue's complexity, which the movie definitely um..."expends" in favor of old-white-dude-pleasing-filmmaking.

JayO, I'm telling you this cuz you're my postin pal and fellow Correct-Opinion-on-FMAB- Haver, you could not possibly come off as more of an arrogant blowhard in this post if you signed it Of SCIENCE!!!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jimbot posted:

That's why I don't like watching their streams or watch Previously Recorded because they come off as gaming snobs who have contempt for everyone except indie developers. They play a derivative indie pixel art platformer and they look for reasons to gush over it when they play something more mainstream they look for reasons to hate it.

Uh, they kind of absolutely loving trashed indie darling The Banner Saga (and having played it, they were pretty on-point, to the extend that Jack and I had the exact same "... am I Ubin?" moment). I've also actually played Titanfall, and again, their review of it was pretty much on point: the game just isn't viscerally fun. It's got a lot of inventive ideas, and cool bits, but it doesn't quite come together in the moment-to-moment gameplay. I have not seen their review of Alien: Isolation, and am not really planning to, since it does legit sound like they poo poo the bed there.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

There's derivative trash in every form of media, it's just that for indie games it's common; but for AAA it's the norm.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My question is how long it's going to take for children's television to just outright die, now that it's clear that in the digital era, kids are quite content to watch silly people play video games on YouTube.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Are you just naturally this dumb or do you actually have to work at it?

Sorry my joking observation pissed you off so much

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

surf rock posted:

If you want a great story, try his early Counter Monkey videos, or if you've got a decent chunk of time, his Thieves World videos in particular. That whole Thieves World story is amazing and legitimately me made consider finding an RPG group to join, because I had no idea tabletop games could be that loving crazy and intense.

I don't think anybody can watch the Thieves' World videos and not come out wanting to join/start an RPG group.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh man, do you guys remember Revver? I just thought about it for the first time in forever, just now. I remember thinking how crazy it was that you could actually upload videos to a site and make money at that (not that I ever did, obviously).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

Didn't everyone quit Revver because it ripped off all of its producers and kept the money for themselves?

Eventually the cheques stopped getting sent out, but I don't think what happened behind the scenes at the company itself has ever become public knowledge. Some articles I found seem to indicate that ad revenue couldn't support the running costs after the initial investment money ran out. Can't say for sure if it was take-the-money-and-run underhandedness, or your typical "oops we're a tech startup who can't actually run a business" situation.

IIRC they shafted TGWTG to the tune of 40 grand, which I don't think they ever saw.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If the Oscars didn't exist, then the studios probably wouldn't finance mature adult dramas even to the limited extent they do now. You'd probably still see stuff like Fox Searchlight, where a studio has a division for distributing indie films they've picked up, but without the Oscars the prestige drama would probably be dead. And as much flack as that format (rightfully) gets for so often being blatant awards fodder, you can't deny that a lot of legitimately great films fall under that "genre".

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hey, I've been archive binging your stuff, and I gotta ask, where the hell do you find this poo poo? How does one stumble onto Still Flowin The Movie? Like, do you just go to the YouTube search bar and type "make me hurt"?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BobbyK posted:

To be quite honest I'm going to miss deciphering Cyron's posts. I think he said it's because his fingers were too fat for phone posting? It was kind of my favorite part of this thread. :(

At one point he said he had a learning disability.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's a Simpsons reference.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Love Runs Out would be my pick for rock song of 2014, but Todd's never been a fan of One Republic so I wasn't expecting it on the list.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

This is only tangentially related to this thread, but Monty Oum of Rooster Teeth died.

Really sad to see him go at such a young age.

Holy poo poo. I actually just thought about him for the first time in years the other day. Apparently it was a freak allergic reaction? Crazy stuff. :(

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

Oasis are a difficult example, I suppose, because while "Wonderwall" was (as far as I'm aware) their only major Hot 100 hit, they did very well on the Modern Rock radio chart.

Oasis is sort of a weird case this side of the Atlantic, because while they only had one technical hit in Wonderwall, I feel like most people here are aware of their titanic success in the UK; or at least aware that they do have more songs, it's just that none of them charted here. And because Todd has said he fudges the "rules" if a band has a legacy of only one hit, then the opposite would also hold (i.e. the Jimi Hendrix rule).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I made another Sonichu review, a bit on the quick and dirty side (no pun intended). Bad Reviews 15.5: KCWC Epilogue

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Uh..congratulations on your signed photo!

I bought it from him on eBay. Set me back 40 bucks but now I own a piece of history. :shepface:

PassTheRemote posted:

I did like the bit about the Snowballs. Just an FYI, I'm sure Chirs-Chan was referring to this:

But, he might have been making a terrible boob joke. Who knows.

That's what I'm being told. I assume they're an American thing. :shrug:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Other M was Nintendo of Japan throwing up its hands and saying "we really don't get why you people like Metroid, at all."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nintendo allegedly didn't like the Metroid Prime games, and they were the ones who put Sakamoto in charge. It's not a David Cage situation, where the game is the hack writer's baby project, Yoshio Sakamoto was a godawful writer Nintendo hand-picked to helm Other M. IIRC, the devs of the Prime games wanted to put in bounty hunting missions, since Samus is you know, a bounty hunter, but NoJ were horrified at this suggestion, because apparently they'd never meant "bounty hunter" as anything more than "generic space hero".

PassTheRemote posted:

That was embarrassing to watch. "Baw, this movie is so bad I;m gonna throw out my Spider-man toys". I thought this movie was boring, not really a lot of nerd rage stuff.

ASM2 actually kinda delighted the comic book nerd in me, even though it was a mess of a film. It nails the tone of the comics in a way that the Raimi movies never attempted, even though they are vastly superior films.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

I'd compare him to John Romero in that regard. The original Quake was loving amazing but when he did his own thing with Daikatana well...

The picture Masters of Doom paints is one of John Romero being a man with little-to-no actual creative control over anything id made. John Carmack used his power as "the guy actually making the game engine" to effectively control Doom's design (not sure about Quake's development, never got that far in the book). John Romero wanted it to be a ridiculously expansive RPG, and Carmack told him they couldn't do that.

So really, Daikatana is no surprise, since Romero was finally in an environment where he could have dozens of unreasonable ideas and nobody in a position to tell him no.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

How is Masters of Doom? I've heard of it before but I never got around to reading it.

:ninja: : Oh that's really cool, Wil Wheaton did an audio book for it.

It's a fun read. I absolutely recommend it to anybody with an interest in the subject matter.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Sakamoto's skills as a writer can be seen in his writing for... Super Metroid

what

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

senae posted:

Actually, that was Tom Hall that wanted Doom to be heavily story based and RPGish, and Romero and the Carmacks all shot him down. That was why he left the company.

If anything, the book paints Romero and Carmack as if they were made for each other. Romero needed someone as good as Carmack to set a high-water bar in terms of technology, and Carmack needed someone like Romero to be ambitious enough to push his tech.

It's too bad they didn't split id into two, with the main company headed by Carmack building the idtech engines and tech demos, and Romero being in charge of licensing and helping other companies, since that seems like what he really enjoyed in the post-Doom era.

You might be thinking of Quake, now that I think of it. He was trying to overreach with Quake (and was spending most of his office time playing Doom Deathmatch)

It has been a few years since I read Masters of Doom, and yeah, that sounds right. In any case I remember getting the distinct impression that Carmack used his power as lead programmer to also make himself the de facto lead designer on most of id's early forays into 3D.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

senae posted:

That kind of came later actually. Some stuff went down during Wolf3D, where Hall and Romero were trying to convince Carmack to invent push walls, and he refused (he actually got around to it nd didn't mention it to anyone until a few weeks before launch iirc) but Carmack apparently didn't do much WRT design until Quake because that's not what he was good at. Quake and Quake 2 ruined everything. though, and according to Masters of Doom it's around that time Carmack started to become impossible to work with.

:ughh: OK I need to reread Masters of Doom. I even just bought it on the Kindle app for my tablet, I just need to finish Anthony Bourdain's book first. :shobon: (also a very fun read)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

They very much reconstitute any adaptations they do to fit their ideals, especially "V for Vendetta" and to lesser but still noticeable extent "Cloud Atlas". At the very least, they're always interesting to talk about.

I felt V for Vendetta was about as faithful as you'd want a V for Vendetta movie to be. I didn't love the comic, or the movie, but I fully enjoyed both of them and didn't think much was lost in translation. I still can't believe people got pissed that the then-contemporary takedown of Thatcher got updated to a then-contemporary takedown of Bush for an American film. Like oh no, they didn't maintain the specific political undertones that most people watching the movie would have 0 context for, the butchery!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think Speed Racer came out at the tail end of when darker and edgier was still very hip and trendy. Now we're starting to see an actual mainstream backlash against it, but at the time it wouldn't have been out of place amongst the other movie adaptations being made. It would have been a terrible decision, but that's somewhat hindsight.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

I was going to make a joke about how this thread's opinion of Bob would flip as soon as it was mentioned that GGer(s?) had said anything disparaging about him. I didn't make it because I felt it was too inflammatory and unnecessary.

I wish I made that joke.

Ah yeah man, look at all the Moviebob dick sucking going on here, what with people giving extremely qualified compliments to him, and generally outright disparaging him while saying he sometimes makes good videos.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I loved Star Trek Into Darkness and thought it pantsed Trek09 despite its messy script. :shrug:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We must get a sample of Khan's blood and not one from the 72 people we have readily available!

DStecks posted:

I loved Star Trek Into Darkness and thought it pantsed Trek09 despite its messy script. :shrug:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

He's also got a hard cutoff date for anime he'll review, so if you want recent stuff you're boned.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Unless the GITS movie is being set in the west, in which case who gives a gently caress. It's every bit our prerogative to relocate and recontextualize an adaptation as it is for Japan to make Spider-Man Japanese and give him a giant robot.

EDIT: I feel the need to further explain, so nobody gets the wrong idea. If the GITS movie is still set in Japan, and the Major is still named Matoko Kusanagi, then yeah casting Scarlett Johanson is pretty hosed. But if the story's been fundamentally recontextualized, then it's a bit premature to scream whitewashing.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 18, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm thinking either Rinko Kikuchi from "Pacific Rim" or Rila Fukushima from "The Wolverine". Then again my knowlledge of English-speaking Japanese actresses is limited so judge my casting choices accordingly :shrug:

Also lmfbo if you actually think Hollywood is gonna cast Rinko Kikuchi as the protagonist in a multimillion-dollar film; Asian-American actresses have a hard enough time getting roles while speaking fluent unaccented English.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yay! Time for the monthly Plinkett derail!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A Basement Rapist Reviews was always a horrible idea, and it speaks well of Red Letter Media that they've abandoned it.

AND BAM! The derail hits its first word-for-word repost from the previous derail! It's the conversation so nice we're gonna have it twice.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Here: Some people find Plinkett hilarious. Some people find Plinkett's subject matter too dark. These people will never convince each other of anything. There, that's the Plinkett derail.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

How is it weird? He's kind of an rear end in a top hat when he isn't working on a project, and he gets pretty pissy about stuff very easily when he's not actively working on something like a shoot or whatnot. It doesn't make his work any worse, but it's kind of a personal blemish that comes through to watching his other stuff.

I mean at least he doesn't go on huge twitter rants when he's frustrated at least. He just gets kinda rude and snippy. I don't think finding out that a guy you respect a lot is kind of an rear end in a top hat in real life and being troubled by it is a weird thing though but whatever.

Oh my god what the gently caress are you even talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Len Kabasinski is entirely too positive a person to fit in with RLM.

• Locked thread