Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

emeriin posted:

Regarding Chez, Lindsay's said Maker hosed them over and that they wasted five months waiting for them to do the redesign, but now they're doing it themselves.

Coincidentally, I was just wondering what Ellis was up to. Back in the days of Channel Awesome, she was the critic that I didn't like at first but began to warm up to her when she drifted away from her Nostalgia Chick persona and showed how intelligent and analytical she could be. It's been a couple years since I last kept up with her work, so I'm feeling nostalgic and wanting to see her new stuff.

Is Loose Canon the only video series she's involved with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

TheMaestroso posted:

I wonder how many games that play with this notion make it easier to be nonlethal than lethal. Ones I'm familiar with generally make it more difficult when opting not to kill (MGS series, for example).

Not a stealth game, but Undertale plays with this. The pacifistic route seems harder because you are fighting tougher and tougher enemies while remaining at level one. However going down the genocide route eventually leads to some very difficult boss battles. I've never done a geno run but from what it seems, the pacifist run is easier.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The 150th Anime Abandon is out. It's on Elfen Lied.

Elfen Lied is one of those anime that I was recommended by a lot of friends (including non-anime folk) and when I tried to watch it- well, that girl pees herself a little too much.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hbomberguy posted:

Has anyone linked Turbo Button here yet? If not, here's one of his best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRxh8Ka5H8

I will look into his stuff in the future. He won me over with a video on Wolfenstein TNO's hitscan gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QlODYzC43g

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

Speaking of cool things to watch to distract from the crushing depression of this nightmare future, Kyle's released a new video about what looks to be an amazing trainwreck of a film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5qGs7vQs20

Super interested to see where he's going with this kinda sorta series looking at Kabbalah.

After knowing about him for seven(?) years this is the first time I watched Brows Held High- good stuff! I think a hatewatch of Revolver would go down good for me since I'm one of those guys that just loves Kabbalah symbolism (you know, an Eva fan)

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Ignoring FemFreq stretching across a football field to make a point, here's Contrapoints with a video about BDSM. I can't say I love it because it's kind of inconclusive but it brings up a lot of good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58pd_D_xYo

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Alaois posted:

the more important thing about this discussion is

people fuckin played Star Fox Adventures? gently caress me

I was desperate for my Zelda-likes. I think I liked it?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been checking out this guy RebelTaxi and his podcast and I've been enjoying what I've been listening/watching, although I don't love it. Other than MrEnter there aren't many cartoon reviewers I can think of so I ask if anyone has any cartoon internet people they like?

The illusion has been broken.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Mischalaniouse posted:

I've never heard of this person, but this video suddenly popped up in my suggested videos (thanks YouTube, you know just what I like :rolleyes:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srp-pPmCjc8

Apparently he's going to talk about each TGWTG person one by one, and judging from what he says at the end of this video and judging by the other videos on his channel, it doesn't sound like it will be favorable.

Judging by his other videos and the kinds of people commenting on them, he also seems like kind of a piece of poo poo, but like I said, never heard of him before.

Don't know anything about this guy and looking at the titles of his other videos makes me raise an eyebrow but this TGWTG video alone is on point. Metokur is even sympathetic to Doug Walker, so I'll continue watch this series.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just watched that clip, and wow, you guys weren't kidding. That also looked surprisingly good for a Transformers show. Tony Todd, Steve Blum, Peter Cullen, there's some impressive voice talent on board. Is the show actually decent?

It's decent. Not amazing, not terrible. It suffers from being a show to sell toys since characters don't truly start dying until the last fifteen episodes.

It has the best version of Starscream though.

KKall posted:

I know this thread has a strict "no gamergate" policy, but I can't let this one slide by. This man formerly went under the name The Internet Aristocrat. He's the man who created the first "Quinnspiracy" videos. The man is Gamergate Patient Zero.

Source: http://thisisvideogames.com/gamergatewiki/index.php?title=Internet_Aristocrat

I'm very disturbed by this. I know that my former workplace isn't perfect and a lot of mistakes were made. But if this man, with his reputation and his clout, is going to do a series on my boss, my former colleagues, and many of my current friends in the same way he did for Zoë Quinn, I am afraid for my own safety, the safety of my friends and everyone who ever worked for the Walkers. This includes people that this thread seems to respect.

Please don't support this man.

Well this is a disturbing development. I'll likely not watch his series then but I won't be surprised if I hear he blames the downfall of TGWTG on social justice.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 4, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Pretty convincing! I will likely never play Yooka-Laylee but from what I gather from this video and reception to the toybox that got released to Kickstarter backers the game feels great to play. It seems like they cut back on the collectathoning and made more compact environments YL's reception would have been positive

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I can't imagine a Christian getting that far in an SMT game. The "review" would just be "this is the Devil's vidya, after 20 minutes I quit".

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lindsay Ellis's next video is going to be about Femininimisms, Part I of two. It's already up for patrons. Pretty good, can't wait for Part II.

It was really good. It's a shame what happens to Arcee in the Bay films, on the other hand if Arcee was an actual character in Bayformers, I hate to think what her character would be. She has my favourite design of all the Bayformers, mostly because it's the most discernible.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hot drat this was a good analysis of LISA. I'm a little more positive on Joyful- that atmosphere was submerging- but I can see why Hbomberguy didn't love Joyful. Still, this was a fantastic video and did one of my favourite video games justice.

As for Night in the Woods, I don't know. I played that game but I don't think there's a lot of meat there to analyze. My enjoyment of NITW was mixed. I didn't think it was a good game. It had good parts but the whole was poor.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I didn't learn anything but I was entertained

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, sorry to bother everyone but I have a quick question.

What do you all feel about Contrapoints? I must admit I really like the videos that they are putting out, lots of interesting information and fantastic visuals really help. But at the same time there seems to be a lot of people who are watching it and going "well maybe I shouldn't be so poo poo" and that struck me as being both really cool, and also suprising. Like I can't quite understand how Contra has been able to put ideas down in such a way as to make people stop and think. It's amazing to me.

Contrapoints isn't just good, she's important. She's one of the smartest voices in YouTube political culture.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Itay be my childish enjoyment of nerd rage, but Mysterious Mr Enter will never not amuse me with his explosions over dumb cartoons. He is so deadly serious over stuff like the Arthur punches D.W. episode that it's hysterical.

I've watched too much of Mysterious Mr Enter, the dude just needs to chill out and get a better grip on how executives run television channels. He's made some wild claims on what happens at Cartoon Network behind the scenes that are grossly inaccurate.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

To be fair Cartoon Network's treatment of Regular Show and Steven Universe has been appalling lately.

You're not wrong. There are some rumours on what the motivation is behind CN's crazy schedule but nothing concrete. As for the crazy conspiracies that paint CN execs as outright villains, those I can do without. The hosts on the latest Pizza Party Podcast with the Your Movie Sucks guy even made fun of all the internet conspiracies people come up with that paint CN as some prison for Steven Universe.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Calaveron posted:

I'm not listening to his pig voice, what's happening in the video
"What a loving n*****. Geez, oh my god! What the gently caress? Sorry but what the gently caress? What a loving rear end in a top hat! I don't mean that... *laughs jovially*"

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I agree with everything Justine said in this video. That doesn't mean I don't think Tabby makes good points. I can see where she's coming from, but she represents the part of leftism that is self-sabotaging. I see it all the time, leftist that think that their ideologies alone should convert people over without wondering how they and their actions look to other people. Justine represents Contra's criticisms of the left and I couldn't have said those criticisms any better.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly5Gz4jn90w

New Movie Nights, taking a look at the McHale's Navy movie. Tim Curry and Bruce Campbell are the only good things in it, which I'm happy Allison acknowledged. You can always count on Tim Curry to be the best thing in a bad film.

I don't know what y'all talking about, that climax looked lame as hell. And Tim Curry throwing his eyes up in frustration is barely a joke. But Bruce Campbell is always charming. That guy's smile has more charisma than Tom Arnold.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Leal posted:

This youtuber named Saberspark posted a video about this North Korean propaganda children's cartoon. Fun fact: Furries exist even in North Korea

The length between seasons for Squirrel and Hedgehog is incredible. There's a clickbaity title in that: "Still waiting for Arrested Development S5? This North Korean cartoon had to wait decades!"

It's eerie that a kid's show in NK has all this violence and killing and cruelty but it must be acknowledged that North Korean children grow up watching other children dying of starvation so seeing cartoons getting butchered on screen isn't that unsettling or unusual.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

HBG is now nattering on about a new subject: VHS. The format.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbZMqS-fW-8

It's pretty great.

That was pretty great. His thoughts on lo-fidelity visuals helping the horror of VHS movies reminds me of conversations I've had about low-fidelity video games and how those games were sometimes better at selling horror. Games that used sprites could be uniquely scary because the visualization had to be condensed into a pixelated image not bigger than 16 or 32 pixels. That representation orequired the use of an imagination and that's where the fright, the horror, really begins.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Bringing it back to critics seldom talked about on these threads, I'm a casual fan of Super Butter Buns mostly because she's done some good retrospectives on the Jak franchise. She's also knowledgeable with a lot of JRPGs I like.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Speaking of misguided but good-natured internet folk, I'm a fan of Anthony Fantano. He's my favourite music reviewer and I find his reviews very insightful and comfy. They help me rethink my musical opinions and even with I disagree with him, I feel like I understand music better. He's controversial because despite him being upfront about a lot of good progressive beliefs he has, he's been a bit chummy with various members of the alt-right and internet "rationalism". He's also strangely defensive of "capitalism" despite being very passionate about socialized health care.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Is this a "'Gamer' is a bad word" thing?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was originally going to make a post in defense of Fantano's allegedly "alt-right" comedy channel thatistheplan, but criticisms leveled at it have got me rethinking the harmlessness of the channel. I like that style of humour; that super surreal, hyper edited nonsense video. I don't think any piece of media can be completely divorced from politics but I do think some things can be less political than others, including surrealist comedy that sometimes uses mean-spirited memes. But if meme reviews started to get back at the SJWs as Fader accuses so, that means a lot. That means that thatistheplan is very political and its politics are, I think, pretty rotten.

Another thing, Fantano made a video where he explained why he didn't use the N-word but as the Fader article pointed out he used that word in at least one of his thatistheplan videos. He doesn't say it out loud, but it's in those videos and I think if you used it in meme then you kind of have "said" it, or at least used it with your "voice". Maybe Fantano thinking that using it in an edgy thatistheplan video doesn't count, but it's weird to come out and say you don't use that word when you, well, do.

I had no idea that Fantano appeared on Sargon's streams, or at least I had forgotten about it. Up to that Fader article I only remembered that Fantano had some chummy words with Sargon over Twitter and that Fantano appeared on that Questions White Men Have For SJWs video. I understand that it's important to listen to other viewpoints and even be friends with people who don't have the exact same beliefs as you but maybe someone can be such a dirtbag that maybe you wouldn't want to be friends with them and enable how vile they can be? That's something that came to me in that article is when Sam Hyde said all those things about beating Lena Dunham and Fantano just laughed. I'm sure there's a context around it that I'm missing so I won't rag on that too much. Fantano seems like an enabler.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think the "It's ironic/it's satire" defense of Fantano's meme videos are bad because although I don't think they are bad videos or racist, I don't think they are good satire, or perhaps satire at all. I'd call them "parody" but not "satire", not usually anyway. They are way too strange most of the time to make any political statement, which is a key element of good/real satire.

Another point: I truly believe that Fantano isn't racist of sexist or anything. I think he has a good mind for civil justice. He seems far more sincere in his social justice than his "centrist" contemporaries.

Yardbomb posted:

See: The entirety of the "kekistan" morons, where it's totally just ~satirical~ that we're waving around a remodeled symbol of the nazis while ~satirically~ spouting neo-nazi taglines

I think this is one time when Fantano let himself get tricked without realizing it. He tweeted something about Kekistan and I think he truly believed it was a joke without realizing that those Kek army shitstains are actually nazis trying to pass off their malevolence as "jokes".

I know I've yammered on about Fantano a lot but I believe people got the wrong idea about him so I just wanna say my piece.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like we are going to start hearing many, many more stories like this one.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/917921899170148353

This was really crushing. I don't know what to say. It's just so devastating.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

As far as Fantano goes...look, I watched his response video and felt that he refuted the points made in the article well - he explained the context and how the piece really didn't get it right, explained stuff like the godawful Sam Hyde thing and showed how he wasn't just laughing along and other poo poo. That and DEHH's take on it were enough to make me think that this was being blown out of proportion. It would have been ok to have a decent discussion about it, but it just always ends up in slanging matches and we all bring out the worst in each other.

Listening to Fantano's response on the Fader article redeemed a lot of things for me, including that Sam Hyde interview which was pretty upsetting. It seriously sounds like he's laughing with Hyde during that but I believe him when he says that he was laughing out of nervousness.

watho posted:

Do I think that the fantaman is a nazi? No I genuinely don't, but he associates with and panders to actual white supremacists and that's not something I'm comfortable with.

This is very reasonable. If anything has come out of Fantanogate is that I realized I'm not okay with him chumming it with Sargon. Is it weird that to assume that being friends with someone like that enables their bad behaviour?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The latest episode of RebelTaxi's Pizza Party Podcast features Ian Jones Quartey, creator of OK K.O., who's previous worked on Steven Universe and Adventure Time. Since I first started listening to PPP, Jim has returned to the podcast and I hadn't known that he and Ian used to be roommates and created a webtoon together. The discussion that the hosts have with IanJQ is really solid and even goes into Ian's reasoning behind characters frequently appearing offmodel in his shows.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ContraPoints released a new video about degeneracy. I like it even if I find it a bit muffled. Sometimes jokes get in the way of Contra's points. Still I got a lot out of this and think it's worth watching.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

I appreciate this, whether it was intentional or not.

It was probably a subconscious thing.

I don't think he deserves to have his speaking tour cancelled. I can't criticize the venues that cancelled his talks because I don't know their specific reasons for cancelling them (that's what I'm assuming what happened. I heard some talk about it a week ago but I wasn't sure how legit it was).

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Question: What's a good free video-editing software? I'm planning on doing some internet criticking of my own.

Testekill posted:

Todd in the Shadows is starting up a new show on his channel called Train Wreckords about career killing albums.

I'm down. Todd seems cool but his focus on pop music and that kind of stuff is uninteresting. I'm curious to see if Train Wreckords will be released publicly.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 20, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Alright, I got some good suggestions and since free video editing software is so scarce I'll bite the bullet and pay some money. Vegas 13 Steam sounds good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Isn't Cut the Crap by the Clash a notorious big failure that ruined them? I'd guess that'd be one of them. Wonder if Weezer will make an appearance although they've revived their career since failures like Make Believe.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It was as wonderful as expected! I always has this idea that Jewel was, you know, good. But Todd shows that she ain't that deep, so her fall out of popularity isn't so surprised. Also if her second and third album weren't as popularity as her first then I totally get the desperate attempt to appeal to the pop crowd.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I check him out every once in awhile. He's not great as a Let's Player but he covers games that no one else does, like &&, Central Station, and others.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Contra was right on point with that Leftism video though. Leftists don't care enough about optics. They don't care enough about communicating their message.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sarcopenia posted:

Lupa took a brief look at my very favorite teen flick "Ginger Snaps"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEmyv-yU2s

Oh yeah, Ginger Snaps-- an actually good piece of werewolf media.

I haven't watched that one in years so it's good to hear it holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

HBomb is stuck in a bathroom. I hope he'll be okay! :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/929557975882194944

Tweet deleted? Must be a conspiracy!

• Locked thread