Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Or someone who would intentionally chose a word like that so he could say "No, I'm using ONE OF NEW ZEALAND'S OFFICIAL LANGUAGES YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE IT WORSE THAN IT IS" when people get upset. We all know that "ungrateful hua" is a perfectly common phrase, but who has ever heard anyone use "ungrateful whore" in any context whatsoever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Soviet Space Dog posted:

Remember last year when it was the left being nasty and personal, and really they should all just stop that personal attack rubbish and get on with discussing the issues

Yeah the Left have no respect for people. Also, the Greens formulated their financial policies while they were on the pot haha am I right who wants to have a beer with me, John Key?.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

poo poo on the windscreen of his big ugly SUV that he can't park properly so that when he puts his wipers on it smears poo all over the window.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

In Queensland they've seen a massive swing against the Liberals to Labour

Also due in no small part to the horrible anti-bikie VLAD laws, under which some families can no long be seen together in public as it is considered a meeting of a criminal organisation and businesses are being closed because only violent criminals work on engines or give tattoos.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Now they just need to get Ali Ikram back for his "This week in karaoke/rap" segments.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I love. JK, (I voted) National.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

OT again, but does anyone here have any good liquor-related contacts in Auckland? I'm trying to find a really difficult-to-find Eastern European spirit by tomorrow afternoon.

Poss, what is it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

It's a type of drink called Rakia, I can only find one brand that's stocked here, something called Sljivovica.

Turns out she only does wines of the sort preferred for cellaring by posh old bastards, hard luck.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Bugger. Cheers anyway man.

http://shop.skazka.co.nz/product/Rakia-Bulgarian-Grape-40-700ml/33453?view=2 ?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Then again sportsball fans are often quick to anger.

domestic_violence_stats.txt

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

No.

emot-closedcan.gif

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

fong posted:

hey guyz what if there was this mine crat that was going to kill 3 people but you could stop it by pushing one person in fron tof it wud u do it???

Stop playing Minecraft.

Next caller please.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

That's exactly what it is.

When you're charged, the prosecution needs to prove beyond reasonable doubt you did it.

To get a retrial, you need new evidence that significantly changes the situation, or demonstrate some impropriety in the process.

In order to be acquitted, you need to prove (at the retrial) that there was reasonable doubt to prevent reconviction- not prove that you are innocent. It doesn't mean you didn't do it; just that they lack sufficient evidence to convict you.

To get compo, you basically need to show that you're innocent beyond reasonable doubt, which is a whole different animal from the default position of assumed innocence.

Yeah it's kinda lovely, but it's one of those things that would cause a lot of problems if a mere 'not guilty' was sufficient.

e: also, broad strokes, IANAL but I work with the shits etc

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 19, 2015

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Ahh right, I was unaware of the distinction between those concepts. I mostly interact with civil litigation, so some of the finer points of criminal stuff aren't as clear.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Please stop quoting dusty.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'm moving in with two mosselmen (one of whom is technically a woman) in about a month anything I should watch out for? I hear their heathen prophet Mohammut is a ghastly brute indeed.

Ingratiate yourself with them so they invite you to their potluck dinners.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Nothing of value will be lost if we kill everyone in the south island.

Nah where would Hawkes Bay farmers get hay from when the annual drought starts? And who would they sell it to when SI farms get flooded in winter?

Are you suggest some form of stockpiling takes place, possibly in what you might call a hay-shed, to ensure the fairly regular occurrences of bad weather doesn't inconvenience Our Most Important Industry That Isn't Sports?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I mean poo poo, next you'll be suggesting that the near annual power shortage scaremongering due to low water levels means we should look at diversifying the means of electricity generation.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

We can all agree that students, particularly first years, are awful. They're like tourists except they hang around and continue to be awful for months at a time.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

I have a question for the law talking guys and/or ladies here. So, I've got this kid in my tutor group at school and I learned he had been giving away the mobile number of another student in said class (a girl in the year below him) without her consent or knowledge because he "thought it was funny." She has been receiving text messages from people she doesn't know and she's finding it rather upsetting. I did give him a thorough bollocking in front of the other students, telling him that I would be crashing down on him like an anvil if she receives even a single text after this, and I have also reported it to the Head of House, so what he's done is now in the system, and he is likely to be facing serious consequences tomorrow as it is. Anyway, what I'm asking is if there any laws he may have broken, or if he's put himself in an actionable position?

Pretty sure that's straight up harassment.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Foreigners sometimes think I'm from South Africa and it's getting to the point where I'm strongly considering not correcting them.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah but at least then I'd have an excuse for it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Infotainment! posted:

I saw one riding a unicorn with Bigfoot one time.

Nah that was actually me.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

klen dool posted:

Yaaaaaay no internet in island bay thanks Vodafone! At least the cell network is still up....

Still? Its been out since 10am or so.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

According to the Herald article: "But the man's identity will remain protected for another month to allow him the chance to lodge an appeal." April 19th, then?

That article is from a month ago.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Guys could you puhleeze stop calling my city of Hamilton a backwater meth-fueled STD infested shithole you're making everyone bored :rolleyes:

Can you stop conflating Palmy with Hamilton

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

it's pretty great how an entire generation, born into one of the greatest periods of prosperity in human history, have poured all their ingenuity and hard-work over the last three decades into collectively becoming Lex Luthor and striding around the landscape kicking people in the teeth

Gene Hackman, or the animated one in the green and purple robosuit?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

The one from Smallville.

All better choices than Kevin Spacey.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

swampland posted:

So there was a white pride march in Wellington today of about 6 to 10 people lol

I saw a bunch of dudes in tui shirts and blackface heading to the cricket just around the corner from there.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Simon Power got my grandfather a new hip after the Ministry of Defence decided that the shrapnel fragment he caught in WWII was his responsibility to deal with.

I think he was a bit of a dick other than that though.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

It doesn't say they personally didn't want to be spied on, just that they had reservations about the GCSB doing so.

Yeah I don't want to be spied on by the GCSB; I bet they don't even get a proper mirrored sunglasses budget like the good and cool agencies.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

gently caress. Man. I really could have a beer right about now. Where's JK?

Curb-stomping some detestable human rights lobbyists

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Looking like Labour Northlanders got the message won't get their bridges

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

I understood that the Nats were chasing the advance vote hard, but who knows.

"If you won't be at your flash bach, or will be out fishing on election day, please vote early"

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Every segment will end with an exhortation to read more on their website, where you can catch up on all the latest news, movie reviews and hot celeb gossip you can handle.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

It's actually more like a Dutch Auschwitz, to be honest :godwinning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herzogenbusch

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This would make me genuinely angry if I had the energy to care anymore. There's just no point in getting upset - nothing ever changes, people here will literally jump off a bridge if JK told them to and re-elect him later.

The Greens forced all our local crash-pad manufacturers to close because regulations!*

* was actually Labour**

** enacting National policy passed under urgency

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

"people" on my Facebook think the hair touching is normal fatherly behavior :stonkhat:

This is what I'm expecting at my work, even from the woman whose 16 year old daughter has been stalked and assaulted by a a creepy old dude who thought her tantalising method of shelf-stacking at a supermarket entitled him to grab her butt and follow her home.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

And here is the Herald article: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11436978

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

It's number one lead on the Herald site atm and has been since it broke, you can hardly accuse them of brushing this under the carpet.

You can accuse them of obtaining their "exclusive" under false pretenses though, and being thoroughly insensitive to the plight of the woman who was actually assaulted.

Although it's not like that's uncommon in our media.

e:

good old winnie posted:

The waitress had warned Mr Key she didn't like her hair touched by him, and a couple of bottles of wine and an apology did not "cut it," he said.

Mr Peters said it wouldn't matter what the politics of the waitress were.

"It doesnt matter if she's a rabid communist; she's entitled to her human rights."

He also said it looked as though Mr Key had a hair fetish.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 22, 2015

• Locked thread