Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of Oblivion is there a way to do something about the stagger? It feels like the chance to stagger is 100-(agility/10)%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

reignofevil posted:

Looking on uesp, if you don't have a weapon drawn you are immune to stagger.
That's... weird but ok. Might be a little bit tricky with melee combat though. When an ogre swings at me it's not my first instinct to quickly put away my weapon and shield.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

There's a lot of mods on Nexus that remove staggering outright (search with "stagger"). This one prevents staggering if you're blocking and you have enough stamina, probably the one I'd go with.
Thank you. Doesn't seem like it works when fist fighting sadly. But it should help a lot with regular melee.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

whydirt posted:

Do Khajit keep regular cats as pets?
Well humans keep monkeys as pets.
Argonians probably keep lizards as pets.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't mind the small size of the civil war, it was almost weirdly large as it was. Small 3 soldier patrols, about 10 soldiers at the camps and suddenly large endless spawning waves during the crappy fort battles. The whole thing felt more like it was mostly fought with skirmishers which would fit the low population shown around the province (excluding the ten million bandits of course). It was more the low effort, low quality and how it didn't really affect or change anything when you won it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

The civil war questline would have best been served by missions that are small raids. Sabotage, stealing intelligence, supporting partisans, etc. Those sorts of missions would only require combat against a few NPCs at a time, and could be much more detailed and unique. The dragonborn isn't a frontline grunt or even an officer, they're special forces.

Sneak into a Stormcloak vessel in dawnstar harbor and plant a magic bomb. Ambush an important imperial commander while he's traveling from solitude to Whiterun. Use some clay to make a copy of General Tullius's personal seal so that the Stormcloaks can fake conflicting Imperial orders and send the enemy into complete disarray before the final battle. These sorts of missions would be so much more interesting than "here's a fort, let's have a 50v50 brawl".
That sounds like a great way to handle it.

Except competent.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It'd be nice for the population density but I don't wanna have to wade through a pool of no name NPC's when I'm trying to find someone to give me some quests or lore or something.
*plays voiced monologue from a hundred procedurally generated Nazeems as the player walks within social distance.*

Poil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 4, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've also heard that the Dominion pretended to be in a much stronger bargaining position than they actually had at the end of the war, that they wouldn't have been able to keep up the effort for much longer.

The empire, consisting mainly of humans, can replenish its ranks much faster than the Dominion, who overwhelmingly consist of elves. Elves are notoriously long-lived and as a result likely have much lower birth rates.

It's just been a few decades since the Great War. If the empire waits too long they will indeed give away their advantage, but for now they've given time for a new generation or two to grow up, which is exactly what they needed.

Aaand then the Stormcloak rebellion happened. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Aaand the new generations ended up killing each other pointlessly because of a racist madman who wants power and the elves get to roll around on floor laughing their asses off.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Some Goon posted:

I just completely ignored the civil war on my otherwise thorough playthrough and it didn't feel like I missed anything.
You get to chop the head of Ulfric Fashcloak. :toot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SpudCat posted:

I will die remembering the name of the Dunmer who shittalks you in the first minute of Oblivion.

Valen Dreth. You mother fucker...
"When I get out of here, all of Tamriel will know my name! Valen Dreth! Valen Dreth!"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She should teleport up right next to you if you wait for an hour.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

I rested for twelve before I left the cairn. Do you mean you have to literally leave the game sitting for one game or real hour?
No resting for one game hour should be enough. Maybe she got stuck in combat or something, she likes to aggro the skeletons in the cairn, but even then it should still work. :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, I've waited for her down the stairs leading up and that has worked. But I think it should work up there as well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MR.B posted:

How is Skyrim in VR?
I got motion sick just watching a video of it for ten minutes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Skyrim's biggest problem is that you basically have mastered the game at 20 hours and then it starts to set in. A lot of enemies are tiresome to fight after awhile. Level scaling is nonsensical. They made archery and stealth the most powerful things ever, while many of the perks for melee builds are loving garbage and don't feel that good. Hell I'm 2handed and I have all of the "ignore armor" and "boost damage" perks and it still feels like I'm plink plink plinking away at massive HP pools.
The ignore armor perk is, you guessed it, kinda worthless since almost no enemies have armor. Only those visibly wearing it do and even then it's only small numbers. Practically everything including dragons, dwemer, animals etc have an armor rating of exactly 0. Don't even bother with the axe or sword perks, they've even worse. :v:

Archery does have one nasty side to it however. Whenever a person or creature is hit with an arrow there is a chance the game spawns a copy of that type of arrow in its inventory (so you can loot it later) but npc's with bows will use whatever arrow they have that deals the most damage and they have an infinite supply as long as they have at least one. Unless you're playing on the harder difficulties this probably won't matter but when a strong bandit/draugr with a powerful bow suddenly goes from iron arrows to ebony arrows with all of their modifiers it hurts.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The sword perk crit is based on the material base damage and I believe three points into it averages to about a 2-4% dps increase with the best sword at the highest skill. Similar material base with axes so three perks with the daedric axe is an extra 15 damage over 3 seconds, on anything that can bleed so not undead or constructs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dragons have resistance to the element they breathe shout (and a weakness to the opposite). For example +50 fire and -25 frost. I kinda miss ghosts being immune to mundane weapons in Oblivion. They also looked waaaay cooler than the transparent regular bandits you see in Skyrim.

Having to stand around as they just endlessly circle and roar, circle and roar before suddenly landing beyond a hill on the other side of a river to fight a crab is tiresome. Also shopkeepers suicide charging with iron weapons and then being surprised when they die. Most pathetic I saw was a frost dragon "fighting" a frost troll on Solstheim. There was a dragon landing cliff spot right near it so it kept landing on it out of reach of the troll and breathing frost which did practically no damage and then the troll fully regenerated while the dragon circled uselessly. If the troll had been able to reach it the dragon would have eventually died. I think the whole history of the ancient nords/blades hunting them was all made up later as an explanation for why they died out when it was clearly natural selection with a species too dumb to survive.

Vanilla dragons can be a problem for me. A chomp easily takes off 100+ health and then lol sudden instant unavoidable execution move and time to reload. Granted I almost never manage beyond the mid 30s levels before restarting or taking a long break and starting up a new character when I get back.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 16, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

cargohills posted:

My biggest complaint with Skyrim is how boring the undead and daedra are. Ok sure whatever there's lore reasons, Oblivion got closed, all that stuff, but please don't get rid of my beloved crocodile men.
Conjure Daedroth is my favorite spell in Oblivion and probably all of Elderscrolls. It's bizarre how difficult it is to find a daedra you can rip the heart out of. You find more just randomly lying around on plates or shelves.

I got a mod which lets me conjure animals (Anna's Druid Conjuration), none of the perks work with them (except the dual casting) but they're still so much more fun and interesting to use than the atronachs. Nord with fur armor, a big axe and a summoned bear? Yes please. :black101:

John F Bennett posted:

Is there a mod that adds a cackling noise when you shoot lightning?
If there is I hope it adds Palpatine's evil laughter as well, possible during execution moves.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 16, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

uh or just use Dragonrend?

I know "not doing the story" is legit, but you should always get Dragonrend
But getting Dragonrend is such a paaaaiiin.
All that endless time with the boring Greybeards and annoying Delphine and the sewerlevel sewers and brainless Sky Temple and the overly long Dwemer sewer for the scroll.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Its clanfears for me, they're just so drat cute, also they were a small enough summon cost that I could make constant effect summon rings for them in MW. If you're into animal summoning, someone in the MW thread made a summon mudcrab mod for me awhile back, I'll try and find the link in the thread if anyone is interested.
Personally I've been staggered by too many clanfears to like them. :v:

I've got a summon mudcrab mod in Skyrim, and another one which gives them little top hats and monocles. :3:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 16, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My guess is it's a draugr boss with an ebony bow and good arrows. They deal a ton of damage. I think I know that one specific enemy and have died to it plenty.

Some kind of summon or shout at it yourself as a distraction to close into melee and hope it switches weapons maybe? How much health do you have?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well you can always go do something else and come back when you are more powerful. I think the boss will remain at it's current level (unless the dungeon resets?).

Other than that conjuration magic and a companion of some kind to help distract it. Maybe chug a fortify health potion if it makes a difference. You could always try and sneak with a couple of invisibility potions too since I don't think you need to kill it (don't sneak while wearing any heavy armor). Etheral shout might be able to help you run away.

I think it's just poorly balanced. There are some other places like that.

Poil fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 17, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mulligan posted:

Welp, I guess OK the arch mage now... The 6'2 giant dude in ebony armor who knows 3 destruction spells is the archmage... But that was a fun questline. I guess at this point is time to finally finish this game.
Hey that's three more spells than the archmage in Cyrodil. I'm pretty sure you can use scrolls to become the archmage without knowing a single spell in Skyrim as well, you just need more than four.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

I just got Skyrim for PS4 and I’ve never played it before. Are there any mods I should download that will improve the game considerably but won’t change the gameplay experience too much?
If they're available the unofficial patches fixes a lot of bugs and doesn't do anything else.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheLoneStar posted:

I figured out yesterday that the fans have been getting the province all wrong in their theories. And it's all in the name. Elder Scrolls VI. Seems simple, right? Turns out the "I" isn't a Roman Numeral. No, no. It's a lowercase L. A V and a lowercase L.

Valenwood.

Simple as that.
I'm looking forward to all the tears when the fans realize bethesda is utterly incapable of implanting walking tree villages even if they wanted to.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

They're probably fine if every enemy doesn't take 2-3 minutes to kill. The enemy level scaling just makes every dungeon drag.
As long as you're not trying to do all the city gate quests in a row. That's a horrible slog.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's why magic and fists are the best options.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And guilds aren't just doing one or two quests before their leader suddenly croaks and you're appointed the new boss before even learning the layout of their headquarters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm trying to finally get all the masks in Skyrim and am down to just the last one, from the main questline. Worst one so far by a long way was the one requiring you to finish the mages collage. While their questline overall isn't as bad and dumb as the thieves guild it is more painful to slog through. At least the thieves kept all the horrible Nocturnal and nightingales garbage for the end but here you're constantly dealing with the pretentious order monks and their "cryptic" babbling and gushing over how awesome you are. The whole mess would've been a lot better if they had left them out of it, they don't add anything at all.

At least I got a legendary super powerful staff from one of the mightiest mages who ever lived, which I can dump in a chest or sell for less than a regular weapon drop I got in the same dungeon because it's not actually very good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I got the 9th and ultimate skyrim dragon priest mask! LOL what a piece of worthless vendor trash.

Wellwinds posted:

You didn't just whirlwind sprint through the back door and kill the boss without aggro???

(iirc that'll permanently gently caress the college questline but... college questline)
But the backdoor is locked by two barred doors?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Artifacts were really ruined by the time of Skyrim. Doing the Imperial Cult in Morrowind I got tasked with recovering artifacts and thought to myself "oh, it's going to be a steel something or other with a really garbage buff, like in Skyrim" then they end up being supremely powerful items. The light boots have a shitload of defense and the hammer hits harder than daedra and weighs nothing (when equipped).
Sounds much better than waiting until I can easily make my own much stronger items, without exploiting or abusing game mechanics like enchanting+alchemy loops. I really should do a serious attempt at Morrowind at some point. SCREEE

Best artifact I've seen in Skyrim is probably Ysgramor's Shield (+20 health and +20% magic resistance) but I hardly ever play with a one handed weapon and shield so it doesn't matter. Besides it's kinda ugly to be honest, but not as horrendous as Ysgramor's axe Wuuthengradsomething (which is two handed so I wonder how he used his shield).
So much of the equipment is pretty ugly like for example ancient nord swords paddles (a lot of the swords are way too thicc), women vampire armor, or anything dwarven. I do like the small pouches and details they put on the lower tier armors so I usually stick with those instead.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 17, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

Find a plate, hold the plate up to door, whirlwind sprint through the door (or the wall next to it sometimes), you can now take the back exit into almost every dungeon

Also thinking about it it may be possible to finish the questline via bucket flight but the storm surrounding the college is permanent
Oh. I was hoping it wasn't that. Thanks anyway. :)

Eh, there is no benefit to finishing the collage instead of just ignoring it directly after joining or Saarthal if you want the shout or amulet. Training, spells and a good place to buy soulgems. Like how the best benefit to joining the thieves guild is access to a fence, which you get rid away so no need to ever go to Goldenglow. I'm sure it's not important.

An amusing thing about the thieves is that you can mess up the ring in the marketplace by just wandering off but you still get pointed towards the sewers. You can mess up the protection racket by killing but you still get to join. You can mess up Goldenglow by burning all the beehives but you're for some reason not dismissed as a colossal fuckup but rather you are the still somehow the most competent thief in the guild so they keep sending you on the most important tasks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Skyrimchat. Does anyone have a fun recommendation for standing stone bonus? I usually go with the lord stone because the magic resistance is so good and while I sometimes pick the atronach instead it's so strong it feels like cheating. The faster skill learning are really boring and I always forget about the once a day stuff. That doesn't really leave much. Maybe the serpent stone if I could remember to use it since it's not often you fight more than one bandit chief a day.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had forgotten about the extra carry limit from the steed stone, that's very tempting thanks. Gotta loot everything including the nails.

Speaking of that, I just discovered that if you're quick you can steal ALL of the silverware in the main hall at Volkihar when you bring Serana there. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

reignofevil posted:

This made me curious if there were mods for standing stones in skyrim and of course there are.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/89219

I've not tried this one out or anything but if the vanilla standing stones aren't doing it for you, the list here does seem like you could have some fun messing around with the gimmicks. Some seem a bit overpowered but what the heck, it's skyrim mods of course they are.
Neat. I wonder what kind of good bonuses they came up wi-

quote:

The Lord Stone

Crown of Autumn: Stamina does not regenerate in combat, but power attacks deal 20% more damage and stagger.

quote:

The Serpent Stone

Slither: Sneaking now costs 10 Magicka per second but you move 25% faster while sneaking.
:roflolmao:

Is there a worse dungeon than Treva's Watch?
-You enter into a small chamber with 4 bandits, two of which always seem to be the highest type you can run into.
-When you enter the main dungeon zone there is a chance the two bandits will aggro the small bedroom after and the bandit chief after that and the dining hall after that. The bedroom is practically guaranteed to aggro the chief and the dining hall. The dining hall will always aggro the kitchen if you haven't already.
-There is a second bandit chief.
-After all that there is still a prison room with several bandits and the usual mess outside. Always a highest level bandit at the prison.
-All the traps are facing the rear entrance which is fine when you are near it but not so much when you are closer to the main entrance.
-Aela loves sending you there for the compainion questline so the entire place is full of Silver Hand bandits instead, which are just regular bandits except with silver weapons and a chance for cure disease potions and ingredients BUT now all the bandit type names are replaced with Silver Hand so you have literarily no way to know if the guy running towards you swinging a warhammer is a bandit outlaw barely hurting or a bandit marauder who will one shot you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow. High-res boxart. I'm sold...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I felt like Oblivion recently and just started playing a nord mage. As I was doing the Anvil recommendation quest there was suddenly a commotion on the road ahead and instead of the rogue mage ambushing me they were in the middle of the road together with an imperial patrol fighting a small pack of daedra. After helping them out the mage turned to me and loudly yelled about robbing me and then instantly died to the soldier slashing them.
My guess is a nearby gate had triggered an encounter right on the same spot as the ambush.

Being a mage sure is hard when you don't have the altmer or even breton extra magicka. I've had to resort to fists a few times as I can't afford to buy a staff. I'm NOT dealing with durability.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Armor for racing backwards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYG0YWdkSKI

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oblivion, how do you mage effectively? Are you supposed to just chug magicka potions if you run into a semi-tough enemy or whenever you have to face more than one at the time? Be altmer or embrace the addiction? I did the Anvil ghost ship quest and thank the nine the wraiths were somehow unable to fit through the captain's quarter doorway because it took forever to kill just one.

Skryim, is it worth training block? I prefer using two handed weapons so trying to block, at least at low skill, barely does anything and I just end up attacking for damage and a chance of stagger instead because it seems more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds needlessly complicated and not very fun.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Are you atronach sign? Fill up on magicka at shrines and Ayleid wells generally and yes, chug potions otherwise.
No, mage sign. My magicka pool is so small and it replenishes so slowly.