Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

currently doesn't really have any real uses other than mass storage
But what about aesthetics?
Isn't that the entire point of building in games like this? Isn't that why you'd ever build anything more than prison cells in Terraria or a tiny dirt cubeshack in Minecraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

"real" uses. Everything can be done for aesthetics so I didn't count it as a real use. Also there apparently will eventually be a use for them when/if they implement the whole "lead a bunch of NPCs" feature
But again, my point is that if you're going so far as to judge building in a game like this solely by function, you could say the same for Minecraft and Terraria, right?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gentwise posted:

I like this game but holy crap the toolbar is awkward and unintuitive.
I like the quick-switch key but it needs to switch back properly and also the scrollwheel should skip over the L/R/Matter Manipulator/etc slots.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fermented Tinal posted:

Dunno if any of you knew this, but yanno how you can walk along a 4 block high tunnel but if it moves up or down a block without it being 5 high you either get stuck and have to dig yourself out, get killed, or knocked back?
It must be something with the way climbing's checked for because the exact same thing happens in Terraria. It's pretty frustrating digging out a tunnel, then going back while fleeing from an enemy and finding yourself stuck.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nevermind I hosed it up.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 30, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Whoops I got it, thanks Turtlicious. Also thanks XboxPants.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/skip-tutorial.2463/

I'm looking up mods and this one lets you skip to after getting the core fragments in case you want to do that.

Also a few other things that should work for the new stable in case you want to do that too
Ore glows
Ore is labeled for easy recognition
Foods have better description of their effects
Mounts
Craft furniture and racial blocks/furniture
More decorative blocks (mostly from ores)
Ore-yielding farmable plants
Crew mod for populating ship and neat features
More bodyparts for random monster pools
Bandit masks and neckerchiefs for your fashion needs
Bees, in case you're loving stupid and liked Forestry for Minecraft
Healing potions as upgrades to bandages
Inter-chest auto-sorter for quick easy storage and ender-chest-like capabilities
New pets and monsters
Random systems that support all biomes/planet types
lol what about a mod that makes the game worth playing haha it's a joke link
Sugarcane drops sugarcane items instead of processed white sugar.
Most of these were made for the unstable versions of the update so I can't guarantee they'll all be fully compatible, but these links will still take you to the right place once they do update (if necessary)

You guys don't like mounts I guess, huh

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anatharon posted:

Is there any reason to play this considering Terraria is a thing?
Mods are a big one. Prettier buildings if you're in for the aesthetics. Different content if you're already burnt out on Terraria and waiting for 1.3. I mean if you could only get one I'd definitely recommend Terraria of course, but presumably that's not the case.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So how many mods are required to make this playable?
When's the next stable or can we just pray modders just cling to this version and make it into the Starbound everyone wants.
Also the new modding changes mean from this point on mods have more control and flexibility plus (ideally) won't need to be updated. So they won't break with every version like Minecraft does.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So a few questions about the new balance re: materials.

1. Did they remove non-racial armors completely? The game offered me my racial Floran iron armor set, but there's no sign of the starter generic copper set anywhere.
2. If so, are copper, silver, gold, and other non-armor ores used for anything now? Once you upgrade your MM it seems like the only function they have at all is either refining into pixels or making generally worthless pickaxes.
3. Removing that makes it all feel kind of front-loaded. Once you get enough iron you can make iron racial armor, then almost immediately after you can make steel racial armor. I don't think I even had a chance to use my iron armor at all before the quest showed up to make steel armor. Especially considering there used to be 2 suits of armor in that progression that are gone now, it feels like I'm progressing through them too quickly.
4. Do ship upgrades take forever to start showing up? It feels kind of weird that I'm already at steel armor but I haven't gotten a single ship upgrade yet. I thought they'd toss you one early on just for storage's sake to get you started, but I guess not. Again, it just sort of comes down to that feeling of going too quickly through it.

Michaellaneous posted:

This is where I am in the main quest. Can you find the misstake?
If you're crashing/freezing/stalling when you try to travel to the desert planet, that's just a bug, right? It's not a problem with the quests.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 30, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't imagine that they'll just leave the armor out permanently though. That's like what, 10 full sets of fully-animated armor that they'd be dropping. Maybe next time they gently caress around with the progression we'll get them back, since after all, this is mostly just placeholder questing anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

If you're still using the _merge command, that's outdated, so some weirdness might result from it.

They redid how modding works again over the 9 month break, it's a little bit more complicated now but if it's better in the long run, so be it
Is there a good modding tutorial out there? I want to add pets or something else minor and cute.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just so I'm not missing anything, there's no reason to keep old weapons, right? You can't sell them as far as I know so best just to trash them, yeah?

Also one aspect I still really dislike is how "unbalanced" the decorations are, of all things. To decorate your own base you basically have to tear down an existing settlement and use it to furnish your own, because most of the neat aesthetic items just don't have recipes. You could always 3D print, but then you still have to steal one of each item, and on top of that it's exorbitantly expensive, like 1700 pixels for a chest.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Notinghamington posted:

I regret getting this game. I have restarted a characters 3 times and I still get stuck on these three quests :
Free as a Bird
Help! I need somebody
Stirred not shaken.

Those are the only quest available for me, I have no idea how to find more, I can't open the Penguin Bay shop thing. I have no idea what to do except not play this anymore. Is there a fix to this or something?
Did you try completing those quests?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The only ore I'm having trouble finding is platinum. I can never find more than 1-2 ore in a "deposit", and I've already been to risky-level planets. Does it get more plentiful in Dangerous/Extreme?

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Weren't they going to fix the machine guns vs armor issue for this or did that just get added to the to-do list? Found there's still no point to the low-damage rapid-fire stuff, even if the dps is high, when you face non-monster NPCs.
Most I've found are pretty useless against armored enemies, true, but hey, right tool for the right job. Same reason I carry around both a huge hammer and a 1h slicer.

Slime posted:

So I guess now I've got to mine uranium and titanium to make durasteel? At least diamonds don't seem to be used for anything but picks and drills so I can make a ton of the fuckers.
Save some for your ship licenses, the black market dealer needs like 6 or so by the time you get to Class II.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's weird, Steam just started updating Starbound for me, for some reason.
...and it appears to have deleted the launcher.

Playing the executable manually, it looks like my large old chests now hold 24 instead of 16 items. So that's neat.
On further inspection, many of my containers are now larger.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 1, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is probably a really dumb question but I installed http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/ this mod, and the recipes aren't showing up.
The items are definitely in-game, I can access them via /admin, but on the wiring bench, where they're supposedly crafted, nothing shows up.

I know there was a problem in the old versions about adding new recipes when you have existing characters, is that still a thing? You'd have to go back and craft/use the items that unlocked the tiers or something like that.
If anyone's using this I'd appreciate the help. Seems like it would do a lot to make storage easier.

E: It looks like it might just be in the wrong crafting group? Adding "craftingtable" to the groups makes it show up there, but still nothing on the wire station where it should be. Problem seems to exist on the modder's side then.
E2: Yep. For some reason the recipes are tagged as craftable at "wirestation", but it should be "wiringstation". Easy fix.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 1, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pakled posted:

If you revisit a mission after completing it, are the rewards available again? I ask because I got 20 durasteel bars at the end of the Floran Party mission and clearing that was way quicker than actually mining enough materials for that many durasteel bars. :v:
Go to a radioactive planet -- I recommend the jungle or alien types. Dig down to cavern layer. Titanium and uranium are everywhere.
This was my haul from a single fairly shallow spelunking trip down on a jungle planet:

Obviously it'd be quicker if you ignored the other ores, but hey I have a hard time leaving any ore unturned.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Come to think of it, there's a lot that's done, but (temporarily?) out of the game. Copper, silver, gold, etc. generic armors, monster noises beyond beeping and booping (I'm pretty sure they used to be able to growl and whinny), stuff like that. I'm sure most of it will find its way back into the game in one way or another.
Then of course there's planned content like Hylotl settlements, teleport systems, multiple bookmarks, more deco block crafting, etc.

And then let's not forget this guy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Enemy capturing is in, because it's more functional than the others, but still has a long way to go.

Even if it takes years, if they end up delivering on all these ideas they have, it'll be a pretty amazing game. As I'm sure dozens of posters are waiting to point out though, that's a colossal "if". Time will tell, though.
Lots and lots and lots of time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Speedball posted:

Been over a year since I tried out Starbound. Looks like they got rid of all the pickaxes and just went with the Matter Manipulator as your default tool for all occasions, huh? I can't complain, keeping track of a billion picks was annoying.
Fully upgraded, the Matter Manipulator is 4x4 and cuts through stone faster than a pick. I'm really glad they focused on that rather than splitting up via tools, much like how Terraria eventually abandoned having to use hammers and axes for foreground items.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Smuggins posted:

Even though it says it's updated in the actual mod file it crashes me, otherwise it's the only drat mod I would use...*other than glowing ores*
Yeah, sorry. I posted ones that said updated but hadn't checked them all out personally.

I wanted to add to that list a mod worth getting:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/perennial-crops.2403/
This mod makes it so you never have to replant crops. Even stuff like potatoes will automatically replant, like tomatoes and corn and other crops do, so you don't have to keep going back over your farm to manually replant seeds.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/
Also wanted to double-down on this mod. You need to manually change the recipe files to read "wiringstation" instead of "wirestation", or just download the fix here: http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/itembroadcasterfixed
But being able to auto-sort is so useful, and I save so much time being able to just empty my entire inventory into a single chest when I come back home.

AndroidHub posted:

Is there a less lovely portable hands-free light alternative to the lantern on a stick? I made a sun spawner just now with my first haul of rubium and boy was I disappointed, I guess it's more for damaging things.
In a glowing biome I found a helmet that gives off decent amounts of light, so there's that I guess. Don't know if it's any better, plus it requires the helmet slot.
Or you could try this mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/lights-on-sticks.2505/
Adds a couple new backpack lights, which are much brighter than the lantern on a stick.

Also, sand physics are totally still in, but only with fine sand. Regular sand was never affected by gravity.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

How do you install this? I made a folder called "PerennialCrops" under mods and dragged the modpak in but I don't think it's loading.

Also, there really needs to be a mod that makes MorphBall not have a running energy cost; that is loving stupid.
Sorry, I should have specified.
That's an older mod version. It's still compatible, but you have to put the .modpak file directly into the /mods/ folder, rather than making a subfolder for it. It should work fine.
Also, I recommend redownloading it because it just updated within the last half hour to support a few wild plant types that were changed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Arguably one of my biggest problems in the game right now is that there are so many cool decorative building blocks and no way to craft most of them. I want to make a cool palace but I'd have to tear down an existing palace first.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Section Z posted:

Even things which show up a pricetag when you slot them into the 3D printer can end up not letting you put them into the printer options.
"Oh, hey. Lanterns I got from this mine. Shows up a price when I slot it *push button* oh, guess not."
Taken from 4chan, but if you're like me and just want to actually be able to use all the nice blocks and furnitures that are already in the game, here's a mod excerpt:

quote:

>Block Crafting Table
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/block-crafting-table.2410/
Adds a crafting table that uses material-based recipes rather than pixels to craft decorative block types from throughout the game. Great for diversity of building materials you don't have to ransack for. Great for base builders.

>Block Replicator
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/block-replicator.1675/
Aegisalt-level tech that lets you mass-print blocks at the cost of voxels (compressed pixels). Great for the casual builder. Also comes in even more advanced Violium and Rubium variants. Can be used with Block Crafting Table to get the "seed" blocks to repliate later.

>Decoration Crafting Table
http://forums.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/decoration-crafting-table.2431/
Adds a crafting table that can craft almost any existing decorative item using simple in-game materials rather than pixels. Also eliminates having to hunt down random biome recipes for every single character you make. Great for base builders.
TO FIX FOR NEWEST UPDATE: Install original, delete "tarpitchest.object" from recipe folder, then overwrite with this patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec0hihzqvvcyswy/deco%20crafting%20fix.rar?dl=0

>Pixel Goods Store
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/pixel-goods-store.1348/
Adds a vending machine merchant from which you can buy all sorts of custom decoration and furniture. Spritework is very nice, lots of cool stuff including racial and generic furniture, anything from trophies to bathtubs to bookshelves made of lava-seamed obsidian.
I think this covers stuff like oil lanterns and just about any decorations you can find. As a catch, that will also make it possible to cheese the "find a Floran base", "find an avian tomb", etc. type missions, but I don't mind personally.
I'm going to be using these myself until they come back to rebalancing the 3D printer and actually add in crafting for deco blocks like they said was coming.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Catts posted:

Good god cave gen is still horrendously bad.
I dunno, it looks fine to me. You can see pretty clearly that he's in a light surface area, and just below him, where all the non-coal ores start, it opens up massively. Terraria's cavegen works the same way, basically.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ahundredbux posted:

Gotta say, the modding community is turning out to be better than I expected.
There is hope still for Starbound
The quality of life mods are amazing, in particular. There's one just to condense crops down to 1 tile wide each.

OwlFancier posted:

Terraria's cavegen generates tunnels from the surface to the bottom of the map without you having to do a great deal of digging, Starbound just generates a bunch of disconnected holes in the ground.
There's usually one big tunnel in terraria worldgen that leads down, generally under a big hill. It's a preset sort of thing. On small worlds that's enough to bring you to the cavern layer, where it gets much more open.
I'm saying Starbound does basically the same thing: in both games once you get past the surface level, caves become much more abundant and often overlap. When you reach the bottom of one, you can use torches, flashlights, or your MM to scope around the edges, then do some brief digging if you need to. That's about the same as how I cave in Terraria.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As an alternative to glowing ore, the previously mentioned Your Starbound Crew mod (which is pretty fun so far) also offers a souped-up flashlight whose light penetrates walls more easily, and a "wallscanner" you can craft, which is basically just an enormous-area matter manipulator with very, very little digging power. The result is a huge blue square that can scan for caves/ores easily.

Same basic effect, but requires a little active searching and appeals to me a little more because I feel like I've earned it. I know most people won't give a poo poo about that but I guess it works for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

Trip report: The Block Replicator isn't as good as the crafting table. It costs a lot (20 uranium bars, 20 aegisalt bars, 10k pixels) to make and has a much smaller selection.
Oh, that's a shame. I didn't know it was limited by blocks, I thought it was like an all inclusive thing.
The one big problem I have with the block crafting table is that it costs gold to make avian blocks. Iron (or even steel) for some of the metal ones isn't too bad, because iron can be really abundant on lower tier planets, but gold for avian bricks is silly.
Guess that's an easy fix though if I want to tweak it myself.

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I give it another two or three weeks before the new version hype fades completely, but the crucial thing will be what Chucklefish does in that time. If they can go back to updating at a reasonable pace (especially now that they don't have any big excuses) or at least not once every couple of months, it'll be nice.
At least they've released a few patches in the last few days. There was one just today that fixed the "some cobblestone doesn't stack with itself" bug.
Even more importantly, the third phase of the Erchius Crystal Horror doesn't have undodgeable beams anymore.

Section Z posted:

Who was it that said the hunting knife makes things drop leather? It, and every bow kill I ever do are just meat, no leather.
Only enemies of a high enough level will drop leather. I think the planet threat has to be moderate or higher.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 3, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JerikTelorian posted:

Trip report: The Block Replicator isn't as good as the crafting table. It costs a lot (20 uranium bars, 20 aegisalt bars, 10k pixels) to make and has a much smaller selection.
Hm. Looking at the files, Block Crafting has 99 recipes and Replicator has 118. There are a few that don't overlap but it seems like the latter has the broader selection. When I get a chance I might try to cross-reference and try to fill in any gaps, so the Replicator won't have any hangups.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I honestly kind of like that there's not just one super-condensed perfect storage item, myself. But since a lot of people would disagree, you can pick up the Pixel Goods Store mod for some nice compact storage options. Or you could go for the more extreme Pack & Print mod, which adds storage and labeling options, including 100-slot wall lockers that are only like 2x1. Lastly, you could just say to hell with it and get the 736-slot Universe Locker.

JerikTelorian posted:

I think I've managed a kind of fix, but my modding skills are super rusty so forgive me if something's gone wrong.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz309ci79c29ap8/unofficial%20replicator%20patch.rar?dl=0
This unofficial patch I've made adds about 16 recipes to all three replicators, which should fully cover anything you can craft at the block crafting station.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 3, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There must be a way to trigger the same functions as those commands with a mod, right?
If that's the case it would be trivial to add a beacon item that changes your warpdown spot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I find them pretty handy while caving, myself, at least until I get the grappling hook. But yes, still one use.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pakled posted:

Dipping my toes in modding. I was talking with Vib Rib earlier and we agreed the pacing of the first two ship expansions was a bit weird since they require the same tier of ore for the SAIL upgrades. Plus, personally, between storage and crafting stations I found myself rather cramped for space on the ship early on. So to pace it out a bit more, and give access to the expanded ship earlier, I made a little mod that makes it so the first expansion requires 10 gold bars and 10 steel bars instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d1vlg1czt4hazg/UpgradeShipEarlier.modpak?dl=0
Awww yes. Thanks, Pakled. It seemed weird to me that both upgrades could be gotten within like 3 minutes of each other. An earlier upgrade goes a long way. Great work, again.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Shevmo posted:

Last night I learned a very important lesson. If you use your matter manipulator to remove the bed out from an NPC who is sleeping, you will kill that NPC. It will be gone forever.
There was a patch released today that fixes that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of the big problems in my mind is how they've restructured the biome planets. I know it's temporary, because they've got a dozen or so biomes we've already seen that are now out of the game on standby, but it sucks having every single biome planet be basically identical. Every forest planet has the same type of trees, every desert planet has the same sub-biomes, and on and on. It used to be a little more random than this and I assume a change is coming but why they'd ever change it from "any planet can have any sub-biome" is beyond me.
Also stop hard-locking certain types of trees (and leaves) to planets. They've got random plants and planets, just put them to use, drat.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

XboxPants posted:

One suggestion I saw that I think is a really fuckin' great idea is to make difficulty more variable on individual planets - make it so that the area you beam down is always safe, but as you explore further and further away, you risk the possibility of coming across more dangerous, basically higher-tiered biomes.

So basically, make individual planets like Terraria worlds.

It'd make perfect sense in-game, too, just say that you ship's computer automatically scans the worlds to find the safest area to touch down on.
I mean, yeah, I'm all for that, too. I'm just saying right now the way a lot of biome features work is that they're less random than before. Why not have eyeball/vine/flower trees potentially show up on ANY planet, instead of just the ones they're tied to? Why not take the existing overworld topography and scramble it, so you can have arid planets with rolling hills or grassland planets with huge ravines? Why not have tar biomes and mushroom biomes show up on any planet? Why not take all the crazy, wild tree types and play a more unfettered mix-and-match with their leaf/trunk combos?

The bottom line is that right now so many things are linked when they should be independent. Arid planets always have the same flat-ravine-flat topography, always pull from the same pool of colors, always populate with the same type of tree, only ever feature the same sub-biome. There's no reason all these random factors that are assigned per-planet should be the same every time. Mix them up!

E: Also, hey, looks like the next addition is going to be teleporter networks that are capable of working across planets. So you can build a big teleporter "hub" base on your home planet and then branch it off to villages, dungeons, fun biomes, whatever, and save yourself the trips.
http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/2umvl1/the_next_major_feature_is_placeable_teleporters/

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 3, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So after complaining earlier about all the random aspects of the game being tied too tightly to each other, I decided to make a mod to sort things out. I hadn't really done much modding on this ever, didn't know anything about the new merging/replacing system, and ended up having to look up notepad++ replace commands as well as batch files for windows to do all this. But I think it's worth it, because finally, hours later, and with help from a friend, I have something to show for it!

First: Prismatic Stars

Prismatic stars are unique star systems that contain Prismatic planets. Prismatic planets can be any biome and any difficulty level, so Extreme Lush planets and Harmless Volcanic and everything in between are possible. Further, I've scrambled up the biome, sub-biome, and sub-surface systems. As a result, you can get crazy mixed up planets.
The first and most obvious change is that sub-biomes on Prismatic planets aren't tied to their major biomes anymore. It used to be that tar sub-biomes would only show up on deserts, eyeball patches on alien worlds, and so on. Now you can find them anywhere!
Sub-biomes can also be replaced by primary biomes. So you can get a planet that's half desert and half volcano, or half forest, half ocean.
Lastly, subsurface and core biomes are scrambled, too. So you could have a plutonium-rich radioactive core on an ocean world, for instance, or a sandy, oil-rich underground beneath a garden world.

And for a more extreme change, I've made an alternate version of the mod called Prismatic Stars: Hollow Earth that replaces subsurface biomes more freely, even with major surface biomes! Dig down through the lush shell of your forest world to find a forgotten desert, pierce the obsidian-coated skin of a volcano to find a thriving jungle beneath, or just find yourself hurtling down into a vast body of water mired in the inky darkness.

Underground oceans, anyone?
http://webmup.com/9jVTS/
Here's a little webm video of falling through the earth and plunging down a thousand feet into the land of the lost.
Normal planets and stars are not affected. If you want crazy mix and match planets, you'll have to go to a Prismatic star system! Prismatic stars won't generate in pre-explored quadrants. You'll have to explore a brand new area of space, so scroll out a bit.

And the matching tree mod, Plant Matters.

This mod unties tree types from major biome types. You can get baobabs growing on ocean beaches, volcanic ash-trees sprouting on the banks of poison lakes, and fluffy white cloud trees flourishing by a desert oasis. Some types have been preserved, by sub-biome, like mushrooms and eye-trees, just so they're still available regularly.

The extreme version of the mod, Plant Matters: Mix and Match, unties trees from their leaf groups. Ice tree trunks with great flowers atop them instead of crystals, twisted vine-trees with ashen leaves, and any kind of overlap between biome-groups there wasn't before. Drops are based on trunk and leaf type individually, so there should be no problems; if you chop down a metal tree with eyeball leaves, you'll get both metal wood and ocumelons. There are some exceptions of what's been mixed -- mushrooms, palm trees, and others that wouldn't work right with branched leaves are still normal, though they can show up in any biome now.
Normal planets ARE affected! All primary planetary biomes will have more diverse trees. This works with mods that add new systems based on existing biomes, like my Prismatic Stars mod, as well as Mysterious Stars and the Unstable Stars found in Your Starbound Crew.

Downloads will probably go on the official site soon, but for now, you can grab it here if you want:
Prismatic Stars
Prismatic Stars (with sunken oceans and hollow underground worlds)
Prismatic Stars (with sunken oceans, but no hollow underground worlds)
Plant Matters
Plant Matters (including trunk-leaf scramble!)

Let me know about any problems. the mix and match version of Plant Matters will probably have some ugly trees, so if anything really broken/floating comes from it, please do me a favor and examine it so your character will announce the name of the leaves and trunk. Easier to fix that way.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 4, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey, I'm glad everyone liked the mod! Please forgive the longpost in advance while I cover the response.

ZypherIM posted:

Is it possible to tinker with big town/dungeon spawning stuff? I'm imaging a mod that tweaks up chances for certain races in certain biomes. Something like more likely to get a floran dungeon/city in a jungle world, or avian on a desert. Depending on how the code is setup, having each thing put on a planet make another less likely to be placed would probably also be good, if only so you don't get like 5 penal colonies in a row too often.
It should be possible, yes. As an example, here's something you might find on the top of a planet's definition:
code:
    "alien" : {
      "threatRange" : [4, 4],
      "layers" : {
        "surface" : {
          "primaryRegion" : [ "alien" ],
          "secondaryRegion" : [ "eyepatch" ],
          "dungeonCountRange" : [0, 2],
          "dungeons" : [ "glitchsewer", "apexresearchlab", "apextestchamber", "aviantomb"...
This is the definition of an Alien-type planet. You can see a few easily visible variables: for instance, threat range is always 4, primary biome is alien, and secondary biome is eyepatch. 0-2 dungeons/towns are present per planet, and the list of which ones show up is there too. You could theoretically just replace all the dungeon listings per-planet, so that certain towns and dungeons only showed up on certain planet types, but that's sort of the opposite of what I've been trying to do. Alternately, you could make new planet types (possibly bound to new star types, like I did) and make those guaranteed to have a settlement. So you could for instance make a new planet that's just like a desert planet, but has a dungeon range of 1-1 or 1-2, and only the avian village, then label the planet type as "Avian Colony", so it would show up on the planet reading from the cockpit and you'd know what to expect. That method should be pretty feasible.

ZypherIM posted:

I think I'd like to see at least the major biome listed in the planet description, if not the sub-biome.
Unfortunately, mixing the biomes was a simple addition but it's universal between planet types. The "Prismatic Planet" has this field:
code:
"primaryRegion" : [ "alien", "barren", "desert", "forest"...],
I don't think any unmodded planet type in the game gives this field more than one entry. By doing that myself, it means prism planets can have any of these biomes, but there's no way to weight or distinguish them. So all prism planets have to have the same description.
The alternative is to create a copy of the prism planet field for every one of these primary biomes and give them different names. That would be easily possible, but it would take a while. Maybe I'll do that at some point. I've already done that with the ocean type planets, just because they don't get paired with hollow earth biomes very well.

(Yes that's an entire underwater world)

Tenbux McGee posted:

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Hollow worlds looks rather interesting, assuming its not too common. Definitely running this when I get the chance.

Would all this biome trickery fix the problem normal worlds have where the same "mini-dungeon" (more like mini-shack) repeats constantly across a world at roughly the same depth?
Also how does the mix-and-match leaf system affect saplings? Do you get what that "base" tree would have been, or are saplings procedurally generated to keep the randomly picked leaf type? Or do they not drop saplings at all?
Unfortunately due to the way the biomes are picked, I can't tweak the rarity of hollow worlds. It uses the same system as above, with arrays, so the subsurface picks randomly from the list.
What I could do, again, is make a new category of planet that's "Prismatic Hollow" or "Prismatic Sunken Ocean" and make that more rare, then remove the ability for standard prism planets to have those features. That's probably the route I'll go, once I have more time. Only downside is it ruins the surprise of plunging into a lava ocean halfway down a cave. :getin:
I'm not sure about minibiomes, which is what those buried outposts and things are. I could look into it though.
As for saplings, they work perfectly from what I've found. They're tied into spawning so you can get fully functional saplings for the impossible trees that generate.

ZypherIM posted:

Played a bit more, didn't notice any other biome transitions that were wonky like oceans. However, Vib did you up settlement spawn rate? I was having 2-3 per planet, which felt a tad excessive. Actually, it might have been ok, but I would walk through a glitch town, 2 screens into a florian town, and then 2 screens past that an avian tomb. If they were evenly spread about the planets it probably wouldn't have felt as weird.

This is probably more of the base game, but is there a way to show difficulty numerically, so it would be something like "Mostly Harmless (1)", or "Insane (7)"? Just asking because after about extreme I really can't keep straight what is more dangerous than what.
Oh, actually I did. I did it for testing and forgot to bump it down. Standard is 0-2, I set mine to 1-3. I'll tone it back down in the next release.
As for numerical difficulty, that's just how the standard game handles it. If I can find where that's defined, I might tweak it in a standalone mod.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, Vib, if CF asked to incorporate everything you've done into the game-proper, would you be cool with that?
Absolutely.
I didn't even really write anything new, I just made a new planet type that pulls from basically every pool. I like the variety in the game but it seemed a shame so much of it was bound to tiers and paired biomes. Plus, any time you wanted a particular difficulty, you were forced to pick from a few narrow biomes because of the threat level. Now I get to experience more of that diversity. So yeah, I'd love to see wildcard stars like this in vanilla, if they ever wanted to add something like that.
They'd probably do it better than me at least.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And to pick the creatures and plants, you actually have to bring captured creatures and saplings you've gathered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inverness posted:

Where is the option for this in the files?
Also I notice dungeonCountRange is [0, 0] in the terrestrial_worlds.config.patch for many of the entries, I assume that isn't intentional?
Example:
code:
    "savannah" : {
      "threatRange" : [3, 3],
      "layers" : {
        "surface" : {
          "primaryRegion" : [ "savannah" ],
          "secondaryRegion" : [ "colourful", "bones" ],
          "dungeonCountRange" : [0, 2],
The last entry is the one. That's in terrestrial_worlds.config. It shows up for basically every planet type.
The reason it's 0 for several prismatic planets is that they're oceans and don't play well with dungeons or towns in my experience.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

... Anyone made a zero-fall-damage mod yet? That seems like it'd be a major improvement, like Glowing Ores.
There's a tech for it. Bubble bounce or something. It makes the boss a cakewalk.

• Locked thread