Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The time finally comes, I download the game... and I find myself staring at the Red Hook studios logo, as the narration continues without the animation that's supposed to be there.

I tried disinstalling it and reinstalling it again, but now there's not even that, I'm just staring at a black screen. I can click on what I assume is a menu if I interrupt it, but since I can't see jack poo poo, it doesn't really help.
What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Did you try hitting a key on the keyboard? It sounds like you may have other problems if the animation isn't there, but there's at least once before the menu screen where it won't do anything until you hit a key, mouse clicks don't seem to register.

I did, and I think it interrupted the cutscene, because the narration stopped and music started playing. But since the screen doesn't change I still can't play.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Can you verify the steam cache? Is it a steam early release, or just a standalone?

It's a Steam early release. I tried verifying the steam cache, but it still doesn't work.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Xmas Dumpster Fire posted:

Saw this being played on GiantBomb last night and it looks fantastic, and ill be buying it on release day. A question I have, what are you working towards, what exactly is the end-game?

Purifying your ancestral home of all evil influences freed by your ancestor via liberal application of sellswords and mercenaries.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Innerguard posted:

Try this:

-Darkest Dungeon Properties
-Set Launch Options
-size 1280 720

or disable steam overlay.

I have no idea why, but it now works!
Thank you Innerguard, I'll name my first Crusader after you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It seems like I spoke too soon: after the tutorial mission, the screen went black again. I moved the mouse at random and clicked, and I think I triggered something, because I heard that typewriter-like sound that is heard when something gets written in videogames. I closed the game and now I'm back to square one, with the cutscene narration but without the cutscene.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 31, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am sorry for bringing this up again, but I'd really like to start playing and joining the discussion.
I keep opening the game only to be greeted by a black screen; I hear the narration of the initial cutscene and if I push buttons on my keyboard I can interrupt it, but since I can't see the game I can't play. I get the impression that the game is running in the background and I just can't see it.
Putting it in window mode helped exactly once, and only up to my first visit in the hamlet, the graphics drivers on my card (which is a Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, even though I have NVIDIA Control Panel installed for some reason) are up to date and I don't know where else to look.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Positional control is really helpful in the game too. Enemies don't have a basic "move" ability, so generally if you pull a ranged guy into the front ranks, he'll be stuck there using his much lower damage melee attack. Or even better, a few tough melee enemies don't even have a ranged attack at ALL (like the big skeletons with the shield), so if you bump them to the back ranks they just sit there passing their turn until you kill enough guys in front of them to bring them up again.

This is correct. The Apprentice Necromancer did a number on me for this very reason: I should have brought some Occultists to pull him from his skeleton horde. A Leper, an Highwaymen and two vestals are not the proper party to tackle him, I'll tel you that much.
I lost my Leper in that battle, which is a shame because Lepers are pretty awesome. They have lots of self buffs, and I get the impression that given a turn of two of preparation he could become just this side of unstoppable.

I am worried that the number of low level mission grows smaller and smaller, and I fear that at one point of another I am going to have to send some greenhorns against menaces they cannot handle.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 1, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

First of all, I went to the Warren and it's pretty disturbing. Those poor Porcine Wretches, I almost feel sorry for them.

In my latest Warren run I managed to get almost no stress. I had a Crusader, Tomb Robber, Jester and I think an Highwayman; I am still not sure how I did it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

quote:

The Abomination will go live for all our players in November, alongside two new backer-designed enemies – the Madman, and the Collector!

I guess if you throw enough money at a game to get to design a class you might as well go bonkers with it.

For some reason the name Collectror summons into my mind the image of a criminal mastermind.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I actually lost a Crusader to an heart attack. He was being abusive and I think we were fighting the Hag, and I watched his stress bar fill again and before dying he said something like
"I SHOULD HAVE YOU ALL OF EXECUTED! I SHOULD-"
and then he died. Frankly he was being so much of a dick to the poor Grave Robber that I did not feel all that bad.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Why would you ever take an Arbalest or Vestal when you can have an Occultist?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Has anyone found a role for an Occultist in the second or first position? I want to get more use out of Hands of the Abyss but I don't know what else to give him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I get what you're saying that he's clearly built more for a backrow role, but still, he has a perfectly serviceable stun attack that can hit anywhere and it seems such a waste to never use it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

But what happens if you run out of targets for Holy Lance? Then your rank 3 Crusader has nothing to do, right?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

dogstile posted:

Stress removal dude

He can do that from the third rank? Uh. Good to know.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I would not bet the money spent on fully decking out three heroes on a group containing a Jester in a position he was not prepared for.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I don't use them, but I assume I am the idiot Who can't use them at their best.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

...that is supposed to be a hero? Look, I get that not all of Darkest Dungeon's heroes are on the up and up but...really?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yes but that guy is the Abomination, we already this. Why is there a ghost with a bunch of people's souls under his mantle in the Hamlet's tavern?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

...oh. It says "player-designed enemies"
Disregard, I am an idiot.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I always use camping as an healing and stress relief opportunity first and for buffing second. Having an opportunity to fix up the party if things go bad is too big a boon to pass up.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Abomination brings the total of blight-using classes to three. A blight-based team with no doubling up, ideal for dealing with the Cove, is now closer to reality.

amuayse posted:

Abomination hits very, very hard.

In both forms?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

didn't realize the Cove is a special case, that's rough but I get it. The DD debuff is still really goddamn rough.

All traps have different effect, but the one in the Cove is by far the nastiest, especially since the enemies there generally stronger.

This is a balancing problem on their part, not a planned thing, right? It's not like the Cove gives particularly hefty rewards.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

packetmantis posted:

Why do people stringently refuse to buy games until they're out of EA? I don't understand the point, other than 'refusal to support devs.'

One runs the risk of burning themself out on the game before the whole thing is even available.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

*Arterially Pinches u*

Normally I do not use bandages: they need a stack for themselves and the cost stacks up if you are a piece of Radiant Light using scum and every coin counts.

But that? That got me to pony up the cash.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What sort of enemies do you think will be in the Darkest Dungeon itself? I predict tentacles, but further than that I got nothing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Darkester Dungeon

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am garbage at understanding numbers in this game, and this made me worry:

Gabriel Pope posted:

(3rd if you're not counting the Leper, which in practical terms you shouldn't.)

See, I love the Leper, mostly from a flavor standpoint but also because I like slow characters that hit like trucks, which he sort of exemplifies in a turn-based game. If I play the game with an eye for tactics but don't bother too much with class "tiers" if such a term can be applied to the game, am I going to never make it? I haven't played in a while and this worries me.

i just love all of these classes so much you guys
not one of them is truly generic

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The thing about the Darkest Dungeon is, whatever was in there scared the Ancestor into suicide. The Ancestor, just as a reminder, is the guy who invited scholars of eternal life into his house only to murder them in cold blood, performed dread rites to bind demons to pig flesh and then threw the discharge into an empty room somewhere to germinate into the Inchoate Flesh and its counterparts.

I am expecting great things from this ones, is what I am saying.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah the gate seems to open up into some striaght lovecraft horror-city ala R'lyeh.

It'll be interesting to see if the Darkest Dungeon is what leads up to that gate with the gate being the boss fight against some cthulhu monster, or if the darkest dungeon starts at the gate and its about actually crawling through R'lyeh as a dungeon.

I hope its the latter.
in
There is no way in hell that they don't make you crawl through a nest of mind-numbingly abominations that do like 30 stress damage simply by shuffling into view for the privilege of actually seeing the final boss.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

the vestal has capital-I Issues, tho. its the crusader who is just a huge snotty mcsnotterson about the whole situation.

seriously the vestals affliction barks are really terrible to read.

To bring this back for a second: these religious folks have no problem running elbows with murderers for hire, profaner of tombs and a freakin' occultist, but stick them next to someone who most certainly did not ask to be turned into a goat demon and is trying his level best not to murder everyone and suddenly they turn their noses up.

Tu quoque, Leper? You that should know more than anyone else what it means to be shunned?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This guy is such a control freak that he drops out of mission when someone gets afflicted, not because he doesn't want to get the whole team stressed out until it collapses upon itself, but because it "will lose control of them and by extension tactics". I get that it messes with your tactics but can't you seriously work around this?

...I do agree that the fact that Hellions have still such a great advantage over other melee classes is kind of bullshit.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 4, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

i forget if its Canon or just a joke that the PD has a ten pound maggot as a pet but its great regardless

I don't know but it reminded me of this post I found on Tumblr (who has a small, insular and RP focused DD community if that's your cup of tea) so it's great

vestal: The power of the LIGHT INDOMITABLE will ease your pain, brother. Now if you'll turn to page 342, recite psalms 3 through 19, and scourge yourself thoroughly with this length of chain, we can begin.

occultist:I've worked out an understanding with Thulgi Lenk'igur to dispatch a chittering swarm of his Winged Spawn to seal your wound with their mandibles and cauterize it with their burning blood. The experience may be somewhat traumatic, but no lasting harm usually results.

plague doctor:*holds up a fistful of maggots and leeches* i swear to god im fuckin licensed.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Hellions are great, right up until their dodge fails and they get crit-killed outta nowhere

This happens rarely enough not to constitute a serious balancing factor in my eyes. Now if If It Bleeds carried a debuff or had reduced damage (maybe even both) and the debuffs were serious enough to hinder her, it would be different. But as it is right now she's way OP.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

don't you shittalk the vestal paranoid randroid

need to get yourself right with jesus imo

knowing how many times you are supposed to whip yourself because you thought about meat on a sunday doesnt make you well read, it makes you a loon

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Me too, it's usually worth the risk, especially since it's party wide. A single -10 stress can patch someone up for a bit but it won't blow any doors off.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

the siren grabbed my houndmaster multiple times and did nothing with him but spam the stress heal.

nice use of your resources, lady.

Hey, just because we don't see the monsters' health bar doesn't mean they don't have one! Maybe being an horrific sea-dwelling hybrid was finally getting to her.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I like the Houndmaster because he has a doggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

endolithic posted:

But if he gets killed horribly does that mean the doggy does too? :(

We need to get to that website where they tell you wheter or not the dog dies at the end and warn them that the doggy does indeed die in Darkest Dungeon
They need to be warned