Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hadn't even heard about this game until today, now I'll definitely keep it on my radar for when more episodes are released. I loved Gone Home and Mass Effect and the first season of TWD, so this kind of seems right up my alley. I also enjoy any video games about totally mundane stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've completely left myself in the dark about this game but now that a few episodes are out I'm thinking about getting into it. I really liked Gone Home, My So-Called Life (the show) and most video games about the mundane. Without spoiling anything, did the series more or less stay on that track or veer off into some retarded Square-Enix direction?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just downloaded this and played through Episode One. This is a good game, pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. I hope more games about the mundane continue to be made because they're very worthy subjects, even though this one has its own little supernatural twist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just got done with the second episode, taking my time playing through the story. Is there a link somewhere that describes the inner mechanics behind talking Kate down from committing suicide? It felt like that entire conversation was super-intense for me based on my earlier decisions but now that it's over it'd be cool to read up on what speech checks you need to clear. I ended up saving Kate's life, but I had to go through like five conversation points including more obscure poo poo like her dad's letter and the Bible passage she liked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I responded in all the most positive ways except I make the evidently exceedingly unpopular decision to photograph David harassing Kate at the beginning, instead of intervening. Sorry Kate, but nobody in this school is gonna believe your story without evidence!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm actually surprised that statistically 2/3 players manage to save Kate, given the ways in which you can mess it up.. I guess if you're playing this type of game then you most likely grew up playing point and click adventures where you're already conditioned to pay attention to every little detail.

Edit: That being said it's definitely my favorite section of the game so far. They did a really good job of maintaining the tension and making it feel as if all your previous choices were coming together, even if some of that tension was illusory. Overall I feel like the choice --> consequence connection is much smoother and less gamey-feeling in Life is Strange than in TWD (which I also really like).

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 2, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I felt really awesome after talking her down, but I feel like if I had failed I would have thought it was super cheap and annoying. No real in between.

We'll see though, I'm playing through with my girlfriend and she blew through Kate's room in like 2 minutes so there is no way she is saving her.

That's why I generally prefer to play these episodic games once all the installments are released. Less time spent thinking about how the alternate consequences could be better, because you're moving right along onto the next episode. Unlike the Mass Effect games though I generally only feel like playing through Telltale-esque adventures once, because I think you lose the illusion of the narrative being your own story when you make the opposite choices and see things resolve in almost the same way. I kinda feel as if the possibility of choice is often more important than the actual consequences themselves. So far Life is Strange (what a bizarrely nondescript title, btw) maintains that illusion pretty well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just finished Episode 3 and I gotta say, that was quite an unexpected turn of events. I wonder if the culmination of all five episodes will somehow be choosing between the alternate timeline Max created and the current one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel that there are a lot of subtextual clues that I've been missing. The spirit animal connections, the Native American imagery and symbolism, all the little permutations in timelines you can get by rewinding a scene. I'm usually good at sniffing this stuff out but for some reason I can't see how it's all going to connect yet.

Anyway, "My So-Called Life Meets Twin Peaks" is such a perfect concept that I can't believe it took this long to make. I'd definitely watch the HBO TV adaptation of Life is Strange.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sometimes you just kind of abruptly lose touch with people, even when you're close to them. I moved away when I was a teenager, and even in the age of instant messenger and email it's hard to maintain relationships when you're sixteen and have no way of getting around. I think Max mentions that she also felt weird talking to Chloe after her father's death, and it seems she moved to Seattle not long thereafter. She may also feel guilt in allowing Chloe's dad to die, assuming the new alternate timeline consciousness thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

FWIW, even if the ending does suck -- not unlikely given all the crazy poo poo they've set up so far with only two episodes to wrap it -- I say it's worth buying if you like episode 1 because some of the corners they paint you into during 2 & 3 are intense and worth the price of admission alone.

The last third of Episode 2 has probably been one of my favorite recent moments in narrative gaming. It kind of woke me up a little bit and said "so yeah, you actually DO need to pay attention to your previous choices."

I really don't know how they're gonna wrap this up in just two more episodes though, especially with the crazy cliffhanger in Episode 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Episode 5 is gonna come out on Halloween and meta-own everybody.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alyssa unwittingly takes a bullet for you, but only if you never helped her move out of the way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hella amazeballs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel like Telltale kinda caught lightning in a bottle with TWD and none of their attempts before or after have come anywhere close. I also feel like this genre tends to show its seams the more you think about it so having three series going on at once can't be helping.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

Borderlands and Wolf Among Us are both really good, but I think what's causing genre fatigue here isn't the nature of the form, but simply the fact that nobody has yet to write a story as good as Lee and Clem's.

Though there are definitely problems with the form at this point too, such as Game of Thrones having nothing in it that even resembles "a puzzle" or "exploring a location". It's basically a Visual Novel with QTEs and it's always hilarious when you gain control of a character only to find out all you can do is walk (or limp) forward about 10 feet to the next conversation.

I felt like the puzzles and QTEs were the weakest parts of TWD also. They took up time but were rarely challenging, and to be honest I wouldn't want them to be, either. Life is Strange has a good thing going in the sense that its Rewind gimmick ties directly into the narrative gameplay itself, so that you feel as if you're contributing to the story by choosing to rewind instead of "well we reached another hub section, go talk to these people and collect item X Y and Z to progress." It's subtle but actually quite clever in its implementation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

There are so many better and more interesting adventure games coming out that I'm pretty much done with Telltale once Game of Thrones ends. This game is one of them and next episode should be good poo poo.

What's on the horizon besides Firewatch? That new space thing from Fullbright? Did that Myst-esque kickstarter ever get off the ground?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Georgia Peach posted:

I'm pretty sure fate is going to keep trying to gently caress up Chloe's life and existence Final Destination style.

My theory is that Chloe's fate and Max's power are tied to the same event in the bathroom, and setting things right will result in Chloe getting shot, or Max losing her power, or some combination thereof.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

I fuckin' love this game's soundtrack. Dat Bright Eyes song. :smith:

I sing through the entirety of To All of You at least 2-3 times a day at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Kate still being alive could also be a big incentive.

That actually makes me think they won't go with the whole "choose your whole timeline adventure" option because if Kate's already dead in your playthrough then there's no tension to that decision, and you can't bring her back either way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I bought a bunch of games during the Steam summer sale and none of them can hold my interest anywhere close to Max's Twee Time Traveling Adventures. This is GOTY 2015 and I sincerely cannot wait until Episode 4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can do whatever, but in my experience games like these begin to fall apart once you start replaying them to get your "ideal" runthrough. There are some decisions/events that I wish I could take back but I'm just gonna let it roll.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's possible, but on closer inspection most of the handwriting doesn't really align with Rachel's.

The first message in all caps could very well be hers but the second has too many dissimilarities to be Rachel alone. I think we might find out that a lot of people somehow have time traveling powers in Arcadia Bay and keep loving around with the timelines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think suddenly dropping out of contact with a previously close friend is all that uncommon an occurrence in the modern world, especially when you're young and don't have any real means of seeing each other. Max is a pretty well-written teenager, with typical teenage faults but also noble qualities as well. Of course it's easy to see how she could come off like a total rear end in a top hat depending on certain player choices.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Are we getting the new episode tomorrow? Can't wait to spill some drinks at the Vortex Club party and irrevocably screw up yet another part of Chloe's life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you examine the hallway layout at Blackwell, there is a black door to the right of Mr. Jefferson's class that is probably the dark room, but it has been inaccessible thus far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rachel was too mixed up with Frank that logically I think we're going to find out more about their relationship in the coming episode. There's clearly more to Jefferson + Kate though that I think will be explored at some point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Turra posted:

It's coming Tuesday! Here's the trailer

Ho-ly poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Notable absence of Chloe in the preview trailer. I wonder if that means we're gonna spend the majority of this episode in alt-timeline, or they didn't want to spoil which reality we're in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Butterfly Effect is so offensively bad it loops back around to being hilarious, even moreso when you consider this was supposed to be Ashton Kutcher's serious actor turnaround project.

Life is Strange shares a few similarities but I hope Team Dontnod can avoid going full retard with it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I know nothing good is gonna come out of the Frank/Chloe situation in my game. I tried to shoot Frank, didn't take the money for Chloe's debt, and gave the gun back to Chloe. I think that spells totally hosed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Junkfist posted:

How do you give the gun back to Chloe if you try to shoot Frank? Doesn't she still have it?

Maybe I'm misremembering what I did in Ep. 2, but doesn't he take it either way? Well regardless, I don't feel like that's gonna end well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A tense moment as Max can't remember if she flushed the toilet in the girl's bathroom this morning or rewound to let it mellow because, gently caress it, maybe that will somehow save the world this time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just finished Episode 4. Haven't read any replies since the new chapter went up but I'm just gonna take a stab at what everybody is saying: Holy loving poo poo.

edit: Yup

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 28, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Torgo2727 posted:

I no longer experience feelings of melancholy and nostalgia from this game after finishing episode 4. :stare:

This game took a hella dark turn from the mostly mundane teen melodrama I thought it'd be, but I'm totally down for the ride. It seems like a lot of thought and care went into the various permutations of how events could unfold, particularly in the confrontation between Chloe and Frank. Is there a decision path that won't allow you to end that situation nonviolently?

Akarshi posted:

So I'm trying to travel through the photo after helping alternate universe Chloe, but uh how do I do it? The photo doesn't move or change when I press A and D.

This was really annoying for me on PC because there's no indicator of where your cursor is. Basically you have to hold down left click somewhere on the screen and use the movement keys until the picture comes into clear view. If you can't get a clear picture, move your mouse to another point on the screen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said "that won't allow you to end the situation nonviolently." As in, there is no path you can take that doesn't result in Frank getting shot/killed. The peace option is the most popular resolution for players so far (and mine).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

FYI I think Reddit theory makes a lot of sense - Mr. Jefferson was always a sketchy photographer, was blackmailed/coerced into coming to Blackwell to "mentor" Nathan and keep him out of legal trouble.

I don't buy the Jefferson is Nathan's real father theory either, there are just too many problems with that to be true. But at the same time I do think that Jefferson knows something more, either about the coming storm, or Max's power, or both.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't wait for all obscure characters you helped in minor ways to come to Max's aid in the final moments of Episode 5, as the final boss gets attacked by the blue jay from Chloe's house, fires their gun but misses at a charging Alyssa as they are tackled to the ground and placed in a chokehold by the fully rejuvenated Lisa.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

klapman posted:

It kinda got overshadowed by the ending but warren beating the living poo poo out of nathan was loving awesome

I can't believe that was the more unpopular decision. Cmon, let the poor dude have his day in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

About Warren

Something seemed really off with him. Even before the Nathan beatdown, he seemed rather subdued and almost kind of depressed. Might be because of Chloe texting him to keep out of their business, but it still seemed odd. And yeah, seeing him go nuts on Nathan and then later saying how he was pretty much scared of himself was also pretty disconcerting.

Does he have a different reaction if you haven't been cockblocking him all game?

• Locked thread