Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Most people seem to miss that Brooke says that Warren has some GPS poo poo following you around that's uh yeah....

Accordion Man posted:

Frank seemed to genuinely love her though so he probably took it hard when she disappeared and why he's even more of a bitter rear end in a top hat now.

Max is apparently close enough in appearance to Rachel that people get them mixed up. Frank seeing Max in Rachel's clothes must piss him off for all sorts of reasons. Also Chloe being all try on the clothes of my crush is a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Paladinus posted:

A what? When did that happen? Also I'm pretty sure you can 'spy' on friends' location on social networks fairly easily.

https://youtu.be/3Dilo_35ALg?list=PL57hJfweW_2u1mKS5UFNgx-voVAvTlkT9&t=434

Here ya go it's probably something simple to do doesn't make it less creepy.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

You do know that everything anyone says does not have to be taken as the literal truth, right?

I will admit my bias as he just weirds me the hell out.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

seravid posted:

Rachel's binder was the last in ep1, Kate's was revealed in ep2 - on a table, like it was just recently finished. Victoria's only showing up now (at least, to us players) just means Jefferson doesn't go around shooting girls while thinking of somebody else. He's a gentleman.

Speaking of, Rachel had been missing for months before he did Kate's session but now, just a few days later, Victoria's is apparently already in the works. Things are certainly gearing up.

I get the impression that the shoots happen more often it just that Rachel kinda screwed it up.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Moltrey posted:

It's kinda strange they didn't show it for this, yet did for a lot of other things. Stuff like swimming pool and the junkyard scenes felt like they had a lot more "Aw geez, Chloe, I dunno about this." options than Chloe stomping into a party on school grounds carrying a gun. I figure that anything Max would say then wouldn't really have an effect on Chloe anyway considering that she just found Rachel's dead body , but it felt odd to have it completely absent.

Also, I just learned that it's possible for Chloe's phone to have a picture of Max as the wallpaper and not the one of her and Rachel if you back Chloe on big decisions. I'm an awful friend :smith:

e: jesus the name Chloe like the female version of Michael. There are multiple people in my life with both names and I should I know how to spell it by now, but I'm just dumb.

Yeah the journal has a lot of characterization that's never mentioned,like a ton of it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Moriatti posted:

To be fair, who didn't think he was hella suspicious?

I caught him creeping on Max like right away but I thought he was just creepy teacher flirting with student , not what it was.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

seravid posted:

Here's my new theory: using spoiler tags to spare some hypothetical goon's innocence is nonsense and only makes the thread more annoying to read. This game has no show-stopping bugs and no extremely difficult puzzles, people have no reason to come here seeking help mid-game. They do come here to discuss the lukewarm story, lovely songs and awful hipsterisms - or drop a truth bomb on us before disappearing into the shadows (couple pages ago) - so why wouldn't they play every available episode before doing so? It just doesn't fit in the grand scheme and I'll upload a forty-five minute video on youtube later today to explain my reasoning in excruciating detail. I will use props.

There will be face cam with obnoxious screaming or it will be worthless :colbert:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Joda posted:

Finished the episode a few hours ago and holy loving poo poo. Opening on a series of gut-punches and with that ending. I didn't see Jefferson being the ring-leader or whatever he is coming, but like most people we've had the opportunity to get busted he seemed kinda suspicious.

Also, doesn't Max still carry around the butterfly photo she took in the bathroom in the beginning of ep 1? Is it possible she could use the reflection in the bucket to warp back there and warn Chloe or whatever?

It's in Chloe's room

Pingcode posted:

And yeah... how do you tell someone that? "Oh hey Chloe, I got back from an alternate timeline where I went back in time to save your dad and that led to you becoming a quadriplegic in a car crash and the financial ruin of your family and finally I had to help you commit suicide because your respiratory system was failing painfully so I had to go back again and undo saving your dad."

Though like Bob says, the fact that Max might be forced to explain all this to Chloe anyway is really interesting and I hope they put her into that position.

That'd gently caress up a normal person and Chloe is like two days from eating a bullet if not for her meeting Max again. (You saved Kate just like you saved me etc)

Normally I'd say it was just about literally saving her from getting shot but she says the same thing about Rachel.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 16, 2015

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

This is kind of a given anyway, since she can rewind without affecting her own position. She could have the same result by taking a few steps, then rewinding, then a few more, etc. Of course it wouldn't have looked nearly as nice as walking through time-frozen rain drops.

Come to think of it, this could have made proving your power to Chloe a hell of a lot easier. Just magic teleport around the room for a while. The narrative just sort of ignores the fact that every time you rewind people would see you suddenly jerk into a new position.

Does Max ever rewind and move in front of someone though outside of her messing with Chloe in the lockeroom though?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Well Max's voice actor just posted on her twitter/Instagram a few days ago that they're almost done with everything so it should be a bit

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

The dog ending.

An ending like that would put this into GOTY status for me

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

sout posted:

Life is Strange probably benefits from being its own thing and not having to fit into another licensed universe like Telltale's games

Yeah Walking Dead Season 2 got ruined by a certain character not being able to be too old because it had to fight in it's universe's timeline.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

With the other episodes they've released a trailer exactly one week prior to it coming out on Steam. It's Tuesday and we haven't gotten an Ep. 5 trailer :ohdear:

They released a trailer it was just footage from Ep4 and referencing the storm their playing ep 5 close to the chest. Apparently something more substantial is supposed to drop tomorrow.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 14, 2015

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Dontnod has said they've worked on each episode one at a time so that they could make adjustments based on player data & feedback. Who knows the extent to which it has actually altered the game script, though.

Hmm so is this why the first to episode has them using slang the completely wrong way, I mean they still do it, but the first episode definitely had a lot more that's not how you use hella there.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Fans posted:

My favourite part of LiS is people who hate David for putting cameras in the house, before immediately going through everyones things.

Hey the game constantly points out how noisy and hypocritical Max can be I'm just playing in character :colbert: On another topic can you get an IEP file just for being a transfer? I've been trying to guess what that could be on Max's school file.

Also rest of the story aside I like how Chloe is a really accurate depiction on depression. That how media really misses that bitter spiteful half of it and how loving annoying that can be to deal with.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I'm meh on then ending I chose to save Chloe because I saw the game was trying to Donnie Darko me and got annoyed,plus I went through all this poo poo so why not ride it out?

Loved the nightmare sequence when all the timelines get mashed together and Joyce's "We have camera's in there you rear end" text makes me feel sorta bad for the Max I ditched in alt Chole's reality but angry Max yelling at being ditched in a poo poo timeline did nothing for me sorry a bunch of you are dead didn't know eh I'm stubborn I guess The creepy Warren locker and the long sequence strapped to the chair is the biggest gently caress you shippers thing I have ever seen in a game so points for that

A lot of people thought the endings would be more fleshed out myself included and as far as I can tell that's where some of the negative backlash going to come from not what the ending was but how they did it. I'll be honest both endings seemed super rushed.

Also a few last thoughts I'm wondering if I missed something
- Angry Max at the diner says something about Rachel not getting something and it screwing her over. What was that exactly?
- Hated how Jefferson hints at Nathan having something special was just him being metaphorical
-The whole Prescott plotline with the storm bunker was extra pointless
-Lump me in with the none of the choices matters crowd everyone is either dead so it doesn't matter or you rewrite the week. Still an ok story though. Tired of the dead lgbt lover trope though that is if you save Arcadia Bay.
-Oh man they are so many dead/life ruined Max's even if you don't save Chloe kind of dark. Also where do the one's that don't have a body go? There's one in Main Max's body when she's photo hopping. Wiped from existence I guess?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 20, 2015

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Max posted:

Main Max probably realized she needed a selfie from that class lecture.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was gonna ask, who else had Victoria in the dark room? She's there for the very first segment. I kinda wanted her to try and help with the escape, but I guess that would take more resources than they had.

I did, she's there and then Jefferson realizes in between photoshoots that Max is his perfect muse and he doesn't need Victoria and presumably offs Vic between photo jumps

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Karnegal posted:

cannot confirm but Jefferson does say that he wanted her first until he decided Max was better

Nope he literally says " You're the winner Max it was always you." Victoria is the plan B

Omi no Kami posted:

For those of you who flirted with Warren/didn't kiss Chloe, does the ending change at all? So much of the dumb diorama and the final sequence seems rooted in the sexual tension/self-doubt that Max feels, it seems like too much to change, but I dunno how much of it would make sense if Max was explicitly not into her.

Honestly the whole Warren thing seems kind of tacked on like they added it at first because it's supposed to be about Max and Chloe and then they saw people liked Warren was okay well it won't hurt if Warren is there. The Warren thing was one of the things that made me think the the lines for the journal are written way before everything else because no matter how hard you reject Chloe and lean towards Warren Max is still like ehhh I don't know.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

it could have been interesting if jefferson also had time powers and the two of you fighting over the timeline is what had caused the storm

Man I got so hype when the nightmare sequence started and Max was like" I don't want to say these". Like wow is Jefferson loving with time. That's how he got to the junkyard around the same time but nope plothole. I mean I am being super negative I really thought the ending was ok at least but drat if the plot doesn't look like swiss cheese.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Don't forget you jumped back from Warren's photo, so maybe they weren't all there in the current timeline? Maybe? Hope springs eternal.

David is alive at least

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Karnegal posted:

people have been using that for like 10 pages. I forget who coined it.

Saw it on tumblr months ago back when people were guessing on endings like way back it episode 3

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

DONTNOD, lacking the resources to take on LiS2 in any reasonable timeframe, outsources the production to Platinum Games.

I don't know what we'd get, but it would be amazing.

We don't deserve that game, no one does.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

wyoming posted:

What, was the game supposed to follow them until same-sex marriages were legal in Oregon? Till they die of old age in hipster space?
Just because they originally had variations of one ending, like they did the other, doesn't mean we somehow got "less".

You really need to chill seriously typing in caps? It's a game jeez.

Anyways it's clear they ran out of money and had to change the ending given that this is a small indie company and the ending was still kind of decent that is amazing. Remember Square is like the only company that would publish this and the game's concept is a gamble I doubt they had much money to work with. Everybody else wanted to make Max a boy so it could be a self insert. I"m pretty sure this game sold like hotcakes but we'll have to wait a bit to see and I've seen Squareenix give worse games a sequel/spiritual successor .

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Alder posted:

I thought the ending choice was disappointing but I liked the nightmare sequence.

Nightmare sequence started off cool and good and I kind of wish they didn't run out of time so it could be better

Larry Parrish posted:

It's not stated one way or another.

Can't you two argue about this like literally anywhere else? Tumblr or something.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

This thread

If only.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I wondered if it was a coincidence or not, because I've completed TftB one month late.

It's a common trope, precisely why they're poking fun at it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Same.

The problem is that the first time Max time travels, she does so completely unconsciously, and as the result of her reflexive response to watching some one get shot in front of her (keeping in mind that at that point she didn't know it was Chloe), not as a mindful decision on her part. Thus, by choosing to abstain from action, she's acting on knowledge that she could only have obtained through time travel. So, regardless, a paradox is created.

This is the part that got me but an ending where Max and Chloe end up shot and dead in the bathroom just seems super depressing so I'm kind of cool with the plot hole at the same time.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean technically if Max really wanted to put the effort in, she and Chloe could have saved her family because she warps back to the start of the double moon, not the tornado, so they had enough time to warn people or could have just flat out grabbed them and trucked them out of town. The good people anyway, of which there are maybe two or three in the entire town. Also why did they go to the lighthouse at all instead of just taking the truck the gently caress out of the town, are they just disaster voyeurs. Maybe they wanted to see the world burn....

There's always a chance for her to go back as long as she has her powers and an older photo,it just gets more dangerous the more time passes. It's like she could go back to one of her childhood photos from after William dies and ask to go visit Chloe over the summer or something and fix a lot of things. But what if Nathan figures he wants to impress Jefferson and snatches her and Rachel. Does she just die? Does she just pop back? Even if it somehow works the backlash from the storm would be huge ,so is it even worth it?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

dia Bay and you aren't even there. Therefore it doesn't make any sense that another photoflashback in which you don't use your powers gets you a different fate.[/spoiler]

The whole thing felt really tacked on, and makes it seem like the devs just ran out of money or something. Also the setting was pretty clear that the devs didn't really know Oregon all that well. We have no fireflies, cockroaches, really recreational beaches, and the town just looked all wrong (especially for a coastal town). Stupid little details but they were enough to make me go 'haha what' every now and again :/

They literally did run out of money one of the devs posted about it, the ending seems rushed and pieced together because it is. On the bright side it seems like some of the writing problems were the classic modern adventure game problem of head writer gets moved to work on season 2. Plus if loving Homefront can get a sequel we're definitely getting one of an actual well selling new IP.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

...the point was it's not a good example to use if hoping for a sequel. The original Homefront destroyed the developer and the new one has also been a disaster with an ever-delayed release date.

I kind of think it still is but square enix has definitely made some questionable sequels anyways so it's a still a solid point

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So after hearing Giant Bomb talk about something in episode 3, I went and started playing this, and god drat is it addictive. There is one real question I have, while the game seems to reward exploration and going back and choosing multiple paths, is this something you have to do? Like reading every possible poster, talk to everyone and exhaust every possible dialog option and so on?

Nope you're good

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Well I guess I'm just lighting $40 on fire for an art book. :shepspends:

edit: Though yeah the disc art and having a cd is nice. Only thing I have with a cd player though is my old car/computers.

edit 2: Commentary is up on steam along under dlc.

Was wondering what that 1 GB download was but yeah I'm definitely watching the ep 5 commentary

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Why do all the Blackwell kids show up to a stranger's funeral in the bad ending?

It's not all of them just Warren and Kate who are probably there for Max and Vic who I assume made some off screen amends with Max.

GlyphGryph posted:

I would imagine anyone who actually stayed at the school is perfectly fine, since that's a ways away from the town and also up on a mountain. No idea where Kate's hospital is.

Kate's hospital isn't in Arcadia Bay so she's fine.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Robiben posted:

Well I agree. But Chloe is dead. Max is the one that has to live with it. ALSO its a fantastical story in some way so Chloe is probably chilling in heaven or some poo poo. Isn't the butterfly meant to be her spirit?

The spirit animal stuff is like 90% red herring. The butterfly represents change/time, the deer is whoever is supposed to be protecting Chloe so Rachel until she dies, William in the alt timeline, then Max. That's why Chloe tells Max not to forget she's the only one who is going to remember.
So Chloe does die thinking everyone hates her.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's definitely a game that has stayed with me. I still think a lot about all the little intertwining themes and striking visuals when I'm out running and it's a nice mental diversion. I also probably sing "To All of You" at least once every single day of my life.

I'm hype for a spiritual successor game

edit: I just don't think you can do a sequel given what the themes of the game are in response to say time travel.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Dinosaur Satan posted:

This a a page back, but I find this thought process strange. When you make the "correct" final choice, what do people expect to happen to the timeline with the storm? From what I can tell, either the timeline keeps going and the town is destroyed or the timeline ends and the town, if not the universe, is destroyed. The last choice isn't about sacrificing the town, because that town is getting destroyed no matter what. It's a choice of timeline preference, just like all the other freeze frame binary choices.

The game never explains how timelines works. Chapter 5 is a nightmare of Max it's not actually another timeline (as far as we and Max know.)If they do a sequel maybe they'll go into it

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

LoseHound posted:

Sidenote: One of my favorite lines in episode 1 happens just before Max puts in her earbuds, it's something like "She's so loving shy she takes selfies with a giant camera". It's weird that Max takes a selfie in a small classroom of 10 people with the teacher looking right at her with a loud rear end camera with flash and then acts like "oh no how could i have possibly foreseen this". Girl you have a cellphone. That poo poo was made for the boredom selfie and doesn't take expensive film.

counterpoint: Max is the exact kind of pretentious hipster that would hate digital photos. Like she probably has a digital camera that she only got because she has to have one for class and it's somewhere gathering dust.

She also is the exact time of person to get so caught up in doing something she doesn't really think about where she is. Like any of those photos she took while in the school,she just goes oh this will be a great photo and doesn't really think hmmm maybe I shouldn't have photographic evidence I was here

The game kind of beats you over the head with both these points

Rosalind posted:

HD versions of all the photo-time-travel shots: http://imgur.com/a/nZYbH These are great.

Was looking for a new desktop background, thanks

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Evfedu posted:

Ahahah this must be how women feel playing bideo james all the time holy poo poo.

Best part about this game that I think we forget sometimes

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I'd watch the poo poo out of Life is Strange if it was adapted as an HBO miniseries.

Not HBO but.... http://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/post/148055018910/legendary-digital-studios-to-develop-a-digital

Life is Strange posted:

Much like many of you, both Legendary and we here at Square Enix & DONTNOD agree that Life Is Strange lends itself perfectly to live-action imaginings. While we can’t wait to see what Legendary will do with the digital series we don’t have any further details to share at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

Wonder if it's a new story or just a retelling. Also which ending they're going to enshrine as canon. (It's going to be the terrible save the bay ending you know it is)

Lol no it's not the save the bay ending is more fleshed out which means less writing. Plus the person with powers learns they shouldn't use them trope

• Locked thread