Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So what is the deal with Nathan's crazy drawings?

Also on Kate: while I'm an old school adventure game player and am used to the old "look at everything and exhaust dialogue trees" requirement for winning the game, I felt like a goddamn boss for talking Kate down the first time. It was like a boss fight without a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

I felt really awesome after talking her down, but I feel like if I had failed I would have thought it was super cheap and annoying. No real in between.

We'll see though, I'm playing through with my girlfriend and she blew through Kate's room in like 2 minutes so there is no way she is saving her.

I think the point of Kate is encouraging you, if you haven't already, to be observant, go through all the dialogue, etc. (And also it's a good idea to do that IRL if someone you know is showing these signs.) It's a reward for not blowing through the game. Similarly you can learn a lot in the diner sequence in part 3 or I'm guessing you can get away with some bare minimum.

I've started taking all the "sit down" prompts even though there is probably no direct payoff, just because they are great character moments.

I was a bit skeptical at first of this game and my ability to enjoy it as an old dude but it's surprisingly good.

Even if the puzzles are relatively easy, they all make a lot of sense both in the context of the story and how you solve them - something most adventure games struggle with. You may need to poke around and be more observant but that is how it should be.

I liked Remember Me too, but this is better and I hope Dontnod keeps making good games.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Remember Me really sounds like the first game of a fledgling studio that didn't really have a grasp of their strengths and weaknesses and what works and what doesn't yet.

It shows that they really learned alot from Remember Me when you compare it to Life is Strange.

They took everyone's favorite mechanic from Remember Me (the memory rewrite sequences) and basically made a game around a modified version of it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

This is probably the best place to bring this up, DONTNOD released a teaser and more info about their next game, Vampyr, a vampire RPG set during the Spanish Flu pandemic. Release date is in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpT4LLxFv4

Kind of concerned that their publisher for this one is Focus, did they list their relationship with Square Enix?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ghetto Prince posted:

Supposedly there was a problem with the console version, and the publisher wants to release both versions at the same time. http://www.xboxachievements.com/news-4155-DLC-Added--Life-is-Strange---Episode-4--Dark-Room.html

I'm guessing it's going to be released this week.

Yeah... I remember in episode 3 I was thinking Nathan might have some kind of reason to do the crazy poo poo he's been doing - whatever the "Rachel in the Dark Room" stuff is supposed to mean , but then I remembered he drugged and may have date raped Chloe , and also brought a gun to school to threaten her / murder her (episode 1) and then in episode 2 you find out that Kate got drugged at his party and he took her somewhere after telling people he was taking her to the ER. -

...and I guess I'll just tag this all as spoilers since new people might come to the thread when the new episode releases.

I hate Nathan as much as anyone, but that initial scene where he talks about not being (blackmailed?) by Chloe, and his comments in the diner if kicked out of school at the end of episode 2, make me think he's been all but abused by his father. The kid needs help but doesn't seem to be getting it because his father doesn't want to ruin the family reputation. And like some bullies, since he can't fight back he just pushes other people around.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wiseblood posted:

Holy poo poo that ending. :stare:

Zerilan posted:

I need that version of :stare: that keeps growing bigger.

SirSamVimes posted:

That was the best episode yet, wow. :stare:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Life Is Strange: :stare:

That was quite the episode, from helping alt-Chloe commit suicide, to having my first try with Frank end with Chloe killing Frank and the dog :stonk:, to Nathan's room only missing the photo collage of women on the wall with colored string connecting them, to the hell bunker, to the reveal of Mr. Jefferson dragging Max into the hell bunker How am I supposed to wait this long?

Also this episode seemed like the longest yet, it took me 4+ hours and I gave up trying to exhaust all the dialogue at the Vortex party.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
FYI I think Reddit theory makes a lot of sense - Mr. Jefferson was always a sketchy photographer, was blackmailed/coerced into coming to Blackwell to "mentor" Nathan and keep him out of legal trouble.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Georgia Peach posted:

I felt good about that at first but after seeing how damaged he really was after that I rewinded because drat

My impression was that this was far from the first time that Nathan had been beaten, probably by his father who does verbal bullying as well. That hit a little too close to home. Kid needs help not a stick.

My decisions:

- helped Chloe in her request, if the game didn't state that she was getting worse/dying that probably would have been a different call.
- watched in horror as Chloe killed Frank and his dog, rewound that poo poo right away.
- convinced Victoria to be careful but she was pretty insistent about Nathan not being that bad, she may not be wrong.
- let the drat bird die again, I never even saw it! I even opened the window!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Did anyone else defend David? You get a really interesting conversation with him if you do.

What does he say?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Speaking of which, did anyone catch that the girl working the front door for the Vortex Party was hired by Mr. Jefferson? Or at least he helped set her up with the job - that immediately set off suspicions as to how close Jefferson is to the Vortex crowd, and why.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Wait, for the "but Nathan pulled a gun" crowd, didn't Max also pull a gun on Frank, and Chloe as well who seems to talk about pulling a gun out all the time? Frank helpfully points out "don't point a gun at someone unless you want to kill them" which is gun safety 101 poo poo. David also seemed to be unhappy about Chloe stealing one of his.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Even if Nathan wasn't insane, stooping to his level and kicking a guy who is curled up and sobbing on the ground is a Not Good thing to do. And we have no idea how long it would have gone if Max didn't stop it.

But it's more fun to watch and encourage the cycle of abuse perpetuate itself than actually trying to stop it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Same here, I think my save is going to be hosed from choosing Belgian waffles..

You're only hosed if you picked Amanda Palmer.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

So owls are an omen of bad luck and impending doom in two areas highly connected to one specific character. It's also funny that in the West, owls are conversely seen as a symbol of wisdom and intelligence. Wonder who the owl represents?

The owls are not what they seem.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Max uses the selfie she takes in the first scene to travel back in time to stop Jefferson from kicking off the whole plot at least with Kate, but Jefferson has used his own selfie to travel back 10 minutes earlier and bonks her on the head. Really Primer the Game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Wouldn't it be more Chloe's decision herself?

Well generally it's a bad idea to make major life decisions while on morphine. Though it seemed clear that Chloe's plan was always to ask Max to assist - Chloe's reasoning for asking Max to get the morphine seems kinda bullshit.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
There's still that banging noise in the shed near the lighthouse that hasn't been resolved yet.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Snuffman posted:

My memory for small details in episodic games is short, what's this now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWaoyjlhTzw. The end of episode 1 I think?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

seravid posted:

Hot Dog Man and his disgusting Mustard lover are the true reason Arcadia Bay is to be cleansed. While we wait for the purifying storm, Jefferson has been taking out the trash himself, one unholy deviant at a time. He maintains a thorough photographic record, but only to serve as a frightening warning for future generations.

:ms:

I'd relish this turn of events.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Someone on reddit figured out that the stills on the projector are from the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, about an insane hypnotist who uses another man to commit murders.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Check out this flowchart describing all the branching possibilities from the conversation with Frank in episode 4. It's really impressive.

Here's the link to the full size. I'd post the actual image but it would break the thread.

http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Life-Is-Strange-Frank-flowchart.jpg

Taken from this article

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/04/the-ridiculous-design-behind-a-key-scene-in-life-is-strange/

:stare: That's starting to remind me of the various flowcharts for Primer (which Warren recommends to Max, bless him, what a great movie.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It'll be great when there's a trigger for a flat out fail state in the final episode if you rewound more than X times. Max did say she had to watch her power usage for frivolous things in Episode 4.

There's no way they are going to put in a failure condition if you rewound to hear everything Samuel or the homeless woman had to say in previous episodes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
If Jefferson is going to be Russian, can he wear purple leopardskin during the boss fight?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Oregon accents are weird, I know a bunch of people from there who almost sound like Southerners.

Also the GPS coordinates are in the middle of Tillamook Bay. Arcadia Bay is basically Bay City/Garibaldi without the cool lighthouse.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That makes me wonder if the budget is higher than than most Tell Tale games. They do a lot of set reuse, but there seems to be a lot more branching. If you rewind to try something else, it has to make sense, unlike TT where you'd have to replay the entire chapter to see what happens if Clementine acts like an rear end to Kenny or something. Also think of the diner sequence and all the dialogue if you poke around and exhaust the dialogue trees - this is a huge game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dolash posted:

Finished Episode 3 and whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :stare:

Credit where it's due, the plot is a lot more daring and willing to make big plays and changes than I expected, but I can already tell this alternate timeline won't last. A lot of the little choices from the previous episodes would be completely invalidated and I feel like they're pretty invested in the Rachel mystery which might not even be a thing in the new timeline, not to mention punk Chloe's arc. My guess is either other people will have died, like Kate Marsh because you weren't there for her (because apparently Max is a Vortex Club snob now?), or you can't save the town without Chloe for some reason and she's in no state to help you (and for some reason you can't also fix that with time travel), but there'll be some reason why Max figures she has to undo her actions. I'm open to the possibility that it'll be some kind of ending choice between the two timelines which you might even move between, or that William or one of the Chloes will ask you to create the other timeline.

Actually that brings up the big obvious question (and then all the little questions attached to it) - does this mean that once she stole William's keys, pastMax reasserted herself and went on to live a somewhat different life than our Max, becoming a different person and making different choices over her first month and a half at Blackwell? I'd assumed Max and the school wouldn't be much changed since they'd hardly interacted with Chloe over the last five years, so saving her dad would've been easy to integrate without changing much about the events of the last few episodes (that didn't directly concern Chloe). At least she didn't accidentally undo her own time travel powers.

In the opening to the next episode, I'd advise checking your diary and your phone messages.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dolash posted:

Still catching up on what people think of and have said about this game up 'til now, but right now what's the explanation for the 1.3 million dollar snuff dungeon on Prescott land that Jefferson has access to? The invoice was to a Prescott, the land was old Prescott land, if it was built as a survivalist bunker could Jefferson be squatting or is he cooperating with the Prescott family somehow? How long ago did Jefferson move to town? He's still relatively young and he got famous in I want to say New York City, so if he's only been in Arcadia Bay a few years it's hard to imagine the whole setup is his somehow.

From the newspaper clippings in the barn, it's probably an old fallout shelter. This could place it from the '60s when JFK told everyone what a great idea they were because of things heating up.

The LiS wiki says Jefferson was born in Arcadia Bay. So he could easily be some Prescott cousin or just childhood friends with Sean Prescott - the wiki says Jefferson is 46, and that would be about the right age for Sean to have an 18 year old son and a daughter a bit older.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
David is overprotective with the cameras but if he has knowledge of the poo poo that is going down and who is involved, he may just want to catch Nathan on tape as solid proof that even the Prescott's won't be able to buy themselves out of. He all but says that he suspects what is happening in episode 4 if you've sided with him.

If he was too obvious with why he was setting up cameras, the Prescott's would get rid of him. As it stands, he just looks like some security nut who wants to put cameras everywhere.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rincewind posted:

where does hitting chloe and filming his own family without their knowledge fit into this master plan

To be fair, Chloe did steal one of his guns, and there are laws around that kind of thing, especially since she is also using drugs. US Federal law says drug users can't possess firearms, even medical marijuana users. She's committing a felony and people who do that tend to get many years of free room and board.

I understand that if you don't erase the phone call from the police about Chloe's truck being spotting during the B&E into the school, David covers for her. Since that would likely be a Class A felony (assuming Chloe had her pistol with her), she'd be looking at 20 years in prison just for that. David may even be committing a crime himself by lying to the cops.

I don't think he understands how to sit down and tell her that what she is doing will land her in prison, and Chloe wouldn't listen anyway. So he handles it in private, probably the way he was treated as a kid when he hosed up. That doesn't make it right, but if David was a dick he easily could have ratted out Chloe and not have to worry about seeing her until she hit 40.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So what's the ETA for this being out on Steam? Sounds like early tonight PST?

This would mean tonight = LiS and tomorrow = TftB which would suit me just fine. I guess it's been episodic game week since I played Blues and Bullets yesterday.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

im gay posted:

When is this coming out? Today?

It's being co-released with the next episode of Kentucky Route Zero.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kaislioc posted:

Tornadoes fall, everyone dies, nobody goes ape.

But seriously it would be cool if there was a good deal of variation in endings, even a possible bad end for people doing Life is poo poo runs.

That's the Warren romance ending. You two go to the Halloween party as the two chimps from Planet of the Apes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Warren needs to pick up "The Best of Tom Leykis."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Well that episode was :stare: ... excellent. Loved the references to Twin Peaks/Donnie Darko (even though I'm not a big DD fan), the entire nightmare sequence (which was half the episode?) was great, Max loving up the timelines was great, the panorama sequence was great. I chose Save Chloe to see if "gently caress fate" was an option - it wasn't, but it felt thematically appropriate for my Max to choose Chloe after helping her commit suicide in the William-lives-timeline. I agree it was predictable that it would come down to choosing Chloe or Arcadia Bay, but I'm fine with that; it's not the binary choice but how it was done, and I liked the episode.

As for driving out of town saying "later nerds" - that comes down to the choice. You chose Chloe, you get to keep your memories of being with her because those were (mostly) real. I'm not sure what kind of closure they could have given to Arcadia Bay without making you feel like poo poo for seeing more dead bodies, I'm assuming that at least the main characters managed to survive judging from the ending statistics. Though who knows, timey-wimey ball and all that.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Caedar posted:

Wowza.

I think the game made it pretty clear that, no matter whether you chose to save Arcadia Bay or Chloe in the end, the choices you made absolutely prevented or caused suffering in some weird, unknowable timey-wimey way. Wasn't that the whole point of the alt-cynical Max scene?

Also:
Holy gently caress birds smashing into window. "What. Wait. What what WHAT."
That Nathan phonecall
Alt-Max giving the Stockholm Syndrome counterpoint
Nightmare Alpha-Male stalker (hello, thread) Warren with bikini-Max locker
Alllll the hilarious moments of levity in the nightmare (text messages, bottle puzzle, etc.)

I could go on. Amazing last episode.

Speaking of which this text is easy to miss: http://imgur.com/vPiEPcH

SirSamVimes posted:

Okay it turns out that the kiss only happens if you sacrifice her.

Speaking of which, I think the one big flaw I have with the ending is not the binary choice itself, but the fact that one of the choices is so obviously the one the developers consider the "correct" choice. I don't mind the choice existing because the game had already done a great job of making your decisions significant in the journey itself, but basically punishing you with a way less developed ending for choosing "incorrectly" kind of sucks. Aside from that, I thought the episode was amazing.

The first scene in the dream sequence was incredibly creepy.

If you go by content, sure, save Arcadia Bay gives the most stuff. But it needs the most stuff because your time with Chloe never happened, so they need to say what happened instead (to Nathan/Jefferson, to Chloe's family, to you) and of course a funeral is a must. With Chloe it's pretty clear what's happened, I don't think it needed to be rehashed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

How? Just rewind

And if the game figures out that you can't rewind to a viable spot, it just puts you at the last 'safe' spot, with generous checkpoints. For the first sequence with Jefferson looking for you:
- move directly forward. Jefferson #1 will catch you. Rewind to the beginning, he can't see you.
- turn right, hide in the walled off section until Jefferson #2 turns around and walks off. Sneak around where he came from.
- Jefferson #3 is pretty much the same thing as #2, I think you hide on one side of a wall while he walks on the other side?

The lockers/dumpyard were more of a pain because bottle hunting for 100% achievements.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Question for those who wanted an explanation for Max's power: what did you expect? I thought it was obvious that this was going to be a mysterious power, perhaps one she's always had but never had that strong emotional event that caused her to use it like Chloe dying in front of her eyes. If the game said "well here is a scientific explanation" it would have been bullshit, if the game said "God gave her these powers" people would have rolled their eyes. How she got the powers didn't matter.

As far as the payoff on the Prescott thing, it seemed clear in previous episodes and spelled out a bit more here. Nathan was a fuckup, his father instead of doing more about treating his son and being there for him, just paid off the cops and otherwise was an rear end in a top hat to his kid. Nathan latches out to a surrogate father instead, Jefferson. He gets cash from his dad to support his new hobby - dad is happy to do this since he sees this as a way to keep Nathan occupied and out of trouble - which is spent on the darkroom and also acquiring drugs. In a sense, Jefferson's exit strategy (pin all the blame for the kidnapping/murders on Nathan who has apparently skipped town, with some involvement from his father) meshes very well with all the evidence we found, even the misleading notes in the bunker that most of us assumed were written by Sean Prescott but were written by Jefferson, as well as the photo of Nathan and Rachel conveniently in the dark room for anyone to find. Had Jefferson's plan worked, the town would have believed the story and had we not been kidnapped by Jefferson, we probably would have bought it too. It's misdirection using a combination of the town's inclination towards the Prescott's as jerks and Jefferson being busy making sure Nathan looks like the one responsible not just for Rachel, but for all the murders.

Also the last map location is the Zeitgeist gallery in SF.

VagueRant posted:

Seems like there's quite a few little things I didn't know about in this ep that can change. Like Victoria can be in the Dark Room with you and murdered offscreen by Jefferson - I assume that's if she listend to your warning. And somehow Max can end up wearing Chloe's bullet necklace?

The way this plays out is Victoria says you warned her about Nathan, so she goes to Jefferson for help. Jefferson then knocks her out. We only get to see Victoria twice - once she's completely out, the second time she's starting to wake up and we get to talk with her a bit to find out what happened. Then she's murdered off screen - I assume Jefferson has probably taken whatever photographs he wants, but making her a murder victim also helps with his end-game of pinning everything on Nathan. He probably thinks Victoria has been talking with people about Nathan being dangerous, so when she disappears (or turns up dead), people are going to assume the now-missing Nathan was responsible too.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fans posted:

Since this thread looks like Wartime Correspodence I'm guessing the last episode is out. Tell me Goons. Was it worth it?

Yes, the ending has some great sequences and fits thematically with the series. Would pre-order a season 2.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

It's the hospital scene with Kate. I haven't got the top right one though, what's that?

All photos here (also spoilers for episode 5): http://imgur.com/X5Y3THZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah, sorry, I did save Kate so I have the hospital scene. The one I don't have is the top right one, in the picture it looks like the parking lot the morning after but I can't work out how to trigger it - possibly if you don't save Kate?.

I thought the parking lot was in the very first episode, it's where you walk and encounter Warren for the flash drive and get picked up by Chloe.

BobTheJanitor posted:

It does feel a little bit like they had more plans and some things got cut/rearranged at the last minute. But I could just be projecting my own wishes onto reality. Still kind of a bummer that the ending is so sudden and abrupt in a game that was never afraid to take its time before.

It was still a three hour episode. I wonder if the disappointment is that the ending was "predictable" because all the cards were effectively on the table by this point, but they should be when you are entering Act 5. Even if you have a twist ending - I'll pull out the Sixth Sense as an example - if you watched 4/5ths of the movie and had a few months to think about it with a bunch of goons, you'd probably guess the ending. Or for a video game example, play 4/5ths of Spec Ops: The Line, you'd guess what happens at the end pretty quickly with some time to think about it before continuing. The only way to avoid that is to really keep information from the player, but that's not entirely fair.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 20, 2015

• Locked thread