Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BWV posted:

I guess that's still better than Sam Mitchell forcing players to fight in order to build toughness

I do a similar drill for Gaelic football, but that's a contact sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What do you guys think the Greek Freaks cieling is now at this point? Pippin?

Well, Pippen does come somewhat close in his 2nd year stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...at=&order_by=ws

I'm not in love with that list though, if Giannis can't figure out how to hit 3s I think he'll have a real problem. He did ok last year, but he didn't take very many of them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've watched a ton of Love and this is pretty close to what I've noticed. The Wolves would often have Love lay a pick, and then drift out to the 3, move to the high post, or roll. It was a triple threat that was great with Rubio because of his penetration (notsomuch finishing), you'd think you can do that with Lebron or Kyrie, but I hardly see it at all anymore.

While the Corner offense is perfect for Love, he played well under Rambis and Flip too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He just did basically that same play again 2 seconds ago

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

whoa when did ricky come back

Tonight is his first game back, on minute restrictions

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

So I have a general question about issues regarding Kevin Love on the Cavs. I've only watched one cavs game and want to know why he is struggling so much.

So, in theory at least, a Kyrie/Love or Lebron/Love (Especially the latter) pick and pop play should almost always result in an open wing 3 for love. And if I recall, that is a shot that Love has hit at near elite levels in the past.

Ar the Cavs not running this play? Are defenders opting to take away the 3 threat and allow better penetration? It seems like such a no brainer to me but I'm not a coach or a good basketball player so I'm pretty dumb.

Read basically these two posts:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698490&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post441065777

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698490&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post441074292

And what Dokmo said. They are cutting back on what Love does and its affecting his game. He isn't shooting as well as he should be, but I think that's because he's playing a different game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Not surprising. What is surprising is that almost-50 year old Horace Grant looks like he's 29 and I think he could still get a double-double.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doltos posted:

I think the Bucks have a top 5 defense right now, Lowe mentioned something about that. Their offense is basically made up of different guys who contribute randomly throughout the game and their defense is just crowding the passing lanes with their ridiculous wingspans. They're basically made for beating up lovely offensive teams but get clobbered by teams that can reliably shoot deep 2's, 3's, and feed the paint to competent big men (like when Pau walked into the paint all night vs them).

They are #2
http://www.basketball-reference.com...=&order_by=wins

I originally thought Larry Sanders was the big reason why they were so good, but I guess not.

Also, Minnesota makes their opponents offense look like the Warriors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't know if the best part of the story being Kerr hitting back, or that Jordan got pissed that Steve Kerr was playing defense too hard. Steve Kerr. Playing Defense. Too hard.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quandary posted:

I really don't understand why more people aren't talking about how great this is.

I mean, Duh.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

Guys who will be restricted free agents and don't want to play a year on a qo?

You have to be both "we'll match any offer" and "we'd take a crappy offer for him" which is a really narrow space.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

In other news, Minnesota has a two game lead for worst team. They're at 8, Philliy is 11, NY is 10. Minnesota is playing Zach Lavine A LOT, and he is terrible. He does not know how to play basketball. I say that sometimes about players who look lost, but Zach really doesn't know how, like he needs to watch youtube tutorials about running a pick and roll.

That's a bit unfair on Zach. He's Ok, he's just not-a-point-guard and is mostly being played out of position. I think at the 2 he'd look better. He's not starter-quality but I think he'll be a good rotation guy as a secondary ball-handler, shooter and slasher.

Jesus Rocket posted:

Obviously its still early in the season but who has looked the the rookie of the year so far? Will Wiggins overcome the terrible shooting narrative going on? Has anyone else been looking good?

?? For a rookie Wiggins isn't shooting that bad at all. His usage is lower, but his efficiency is very similar to Carmelo's rookie year. Wiggins has a bit higher eFG%, TS% is a bit higher for Carmelo, Wiggins has a higher 3p%....

If you look at the latter part of the season Wiggins shooting is even decent by NBA standards, though admittedly inconsistent. His defense also has been very good for a rookie.

Mirotic has been more efficient and on a better team, but Wiggins is playing and scoring more, which usually is a big driver for ROY. There's also more narrative because of the trade so

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

I don't agree with you about Lavine. He doesn't seem to understand basic things, like passing to open shooters and running the same plays that every high school team runs. Deandre Jordan could do that if he was playing point guard. Zach still has incredible potential, because he can run and jump like an antelopeian . He can still create his own shot, even if he creates a really bad shot, over and over again. He'll need a long time to learn how to play. Of course, we said that about Giannis and look at him now (aside from forgetting how to shoot)

I agree with you about Wiggins. He looks good and I have no worries about him.

I mean, I'm not passionate about defending LaVine because I think we are debating if he's a 7th man or a 10th man, but it's always fun to talk about fringe guys. But as far as running an offense I think you have to put into context that for most of his time with the Wolves Pekovic, Martin and Rubio have all been out, so its tough to drive an offense that lacking of NBA-quality players.

The stats on "running an offense" are limited, but LaVine is getting about 7.5 assists and 5 turnovers per 100 possessions. That compares to Elfrid Payton (and LaVine is a better shooter on a higher usage). That Assist/TOV is pretty close to Eric Bledsoe as well, interestingly enough.

I mean, the Timberwolves have been pretty bad with him, but they've been pretty bad in general.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread but wanted to post it here anyway. Context: Wolves up by 1 with like 40 seconds to go.

I want to see Heat reaction to letting Kevin Martin single-handidly beat them and Norris Cole spotting MN a free possession at the end.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Thibs is struggling this year and the best players are always run into the ground by the time playoffs start.

You keep posting this but I don't think its really true

Year 1: Maybe they were worn down, but they made it to the ECF. This was more a problem of a young team making a deep push and ran into a good Miami team
Year 2: They lost because Rose tore his ACL
Year 3: They beat Brooklyn despite the Flu and a Deng Staph infection (neither related to minutes played) and then ran into Miami who outclassed them, they had 0 chance.
Year 4: Maybe Noah was worn down? This was largely a lost year as after Noah DJ Augustin had the 2nd best PER on the team. They gave away Deng to get ready for this year. That's why they didn't go far, not really minutes.

Even if Thibs didn't play any player more than 30 minutes a game I don't see any year being any different. Did you really think Noah+DJ was enough for a deep playoff push?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BIZORT posted:

It's not. My point is that you can look at a boxscore and see the output but I'd like to see how the output is created. It give you a better picture of how the player is achieving it. I really don't want to watch the Heat and I had a theory so I asked for confirmation. "WHO CARES?"

To answer your question, he's tall, has long arms, has a helluva motor, and is being given the green light to crash offensive glass as much as he wants. The last bit will inflate his numbers somewhat at the expense of transition D, the Heat's defense is really really bad. Still, if your pushing 10 offensive rebounds a game you are usually ok giving up some points in transition.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Someone please violently dunk on the arcade fire dude

Tina Charles is on it.

I would like to see the field opened up to NBA coaches, there's enough who can still ball and it would be pretty cool to see Kidd out there again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I can't read that article, can you post it here

Basically, you need to have a 4 year contract to get an extension, and in 2 years he won't have bird rights (unless they wanted to get him for the MLE, but that ain't happening). So basically they have him for 2 years and then will need to bid on him the same way as everyone else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is there any way that it would make sense for them to end up with Deron Williams?

Edit: I am pretty sure they are not trading him and the bobbleheads were recalled because they kept tearing people's ACLs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Also the Clyde Drexler one looks nothing like him

That is terrifying

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/adam-silver-says-the-nba--need-s--to-make-a-change--in-its-playoff-format-232835099.html

quote:

here’s what Silver said to the Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area Golden State broadcasting team while being interviewed during last night’s thrilling Warriors win over Dallas:

“Ultimately we want to see your best teams in the playoffs. And there is an unbalance and a certain unfairness. There is a proposal (from one of the broadcasters)… where the division winners would all automatically go into the playoffs and then you’d seed the next 10 best teams. I think that’s the kind of proposal we need to look at. There are travel issues of course, but in this day in age every team of course has their own plane, travels charter. I don’t think the discussion should end there. And as I’ve said, my first year I was studying a lot of these issues and year two is time to take action. It’s something I’m going to look at closely with the competition committee. I do think it’s an area where we need to make a change.”

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

N: The skills competition will now be 8 guys competing against each other 1 v 1 with both players on the court at the same time. The winner advances and loser is eliminated. The competition will also require you to hit a 3 pointer at the end.

V: I like it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Grozz Nuy posted:

This is nominally a good thing, except it still treats divisions as if they mattered when in practice they're completely unnecessary.

If it guaranteed a spot it might be somewhat interesting for more teams fighting for playoff spots at the end of the year. More teams in the mix for spots at the end of the year is always a good thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bwahahaha

Edit: Wrong thread but Clippers are going to have more Ts than FGs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

I want that Cavs fan to explain to me how the Cavs are rocking the poo poo out of the NBA instead of asking questions. You watch the games, explain to me JR Smith's renewed greatness!

Anyway I love LeBron. If the Hawks and Warriors or Rox can't win the title then I hope LeBron gets his 3rd.

I'm not a big Cavs fan, but I've watched a bunch of games and have been posting all year they were going to be good when they got their team together. See my last post about Mozgov, and look at JR Smith from a couple years ago in New York. When he has a clear role and you don't ask him to do too much, JR is a good player. You start asking him to take a large role in your offense, he's not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

wangvicous posted:

JR Smith can do two things well, drive and shoot. He is usually too lazy/tired to drive, so when he is basically just asked to shoot he is a really good player with the drive available to keep defenses honest.

He's a good, and I'll even say smart, transition guy too, which works well with Lebron, Love and Kyrie.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

It is in the top 10 largest tv markets.

Except that doesn't help if people aren't watching the team.

Atlanta should keep its team, but Atlanta is a really tough place for pro-sports teams, regardless of its size.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bearic posted:

If Brooklyn stays where they're at (10-14 range), then Atlanta could add a player like Myles Turner / Trey Lyles / Justise Winslow / Kelly Oubre / Devin Booker. Most of them are super high-ceiling guys that could be all stars in a few years. Great job, Brooklyn, Atlanta made an insanely great deal here.

Atlanta made a really good deal before that pick swap.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

I'd definitely fake a broken ankle, shut it down now, and hope to snooker someone into a 4/40 contract in the offseason

Heat have him on a non-guaranteed deal next year too.

euphronius posted:

Why is attendance at games very relevant?

Also I think the simplest answer is that the Hawks FO is bad at marketing and ticket sales.

The Falcons had all sorts of trouble getting people to an NFL game in years past, and even the Braves have had problems. The trouble isn't so much the Hawks, it's the city. Transient and sprawling populations don't make for a very profitable fanbase.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

an la basketball team will never work

Despite the market, the Clippers only continued to exist on a very favorable stadium deal. NFL couldn't survive there. You need to have either a Iconic franchise or be a baseball team I guess.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hitze posted:

Darn Kevin

Durant has made the best all-star weekend event suggestion I've heard yet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

This is the most important thing I've ever posted:

I had a dream last night, that after meeting a crippled black land speed record rocket mechanic in his qwonset hut shop and then meeting some of my friends, Adam Silver lured and then trapped us in a little cottage in the woods. After a bit, we realized the doors were nailed shut. And inexplicably 3 farm trucks delivered sheep, pigs, and goats in pens connected to the house, and they all tore away rather than stop while we screamed for help. I realized that we were going to be sacrificed and broke through the door, and we ran away.

What does this mean for the trade deadline

Well the Quonset hut and the rocket mechanic obviously means Houston, with the cripple Dwight Howard.The Cabin in the woods could mean a deal with the Timberwolves (Door nailed shut could mean Mo Williams or Kevin Martin nailing 3s for Houston?).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Bulls weren't going to run with 3 rookies in the rotation so they traded up to the one they wanted. Its way too early to give up on McDermott, but drafting is a crapshoot and piling on the Bulls when they've done really well in recent history is pretty dumb.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm moving to Minneapolis next year and legit excited to watch Wiggins + Rubio on the cheap.

You'll like Minneapolis, and you can get Wolves tickets from scalpers for under $10 and then just sit wherever you want. I was a transplant to the twin cities almost 10 years ago and stayed. If you want any advice on where to live, whatever feel free to PM me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is "small guard becomes a good defensive player" just a Brad Stevens thing?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I thought Smart was supposed to be a good defensive player but not as good as he has shown. You could easily swap and say under Brad Stevens they've put a premium on good defensive perimeter guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, Anthony Davis is lucky he didn't Bogut himself tonight. That fall could have been disastrous

Well, he left the game and won't come back. Also, New Orleans is really, really bad without AD

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

I know we all laugh at Utah's crazy strategy of locking up average guys to huge contracts but Burks/Hayward/Favors/Gobert might actually be a pretty good 2 through 5. Not sure on Burke or Exum though.

Alec Burks at 10 million dollar a year is not likely to look like a good deal anytime soon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've known someone who went from 100% health to dead in 72 hours from a staph infection, they can be no joke.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lillard should be forced to play the 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

havelock posted:

If you have a contract bonus for making the ASG, do you still get it if you're filling in for an injured player? Probably varies by endorser, but still.

Yeah, It'd depend on the contract, but Dame gets to call himself an all-star again. Wasn't he an injury replacement last year too? (no one ever remembers those details)

• Locked thread