Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

idk where to ask this, but awhile back I read a rumor that Audi was bringing some version of an S4 Avant over to the US for 2024 model year. Is there anything to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Should I expect any weirdness from a dealership if I'm trading in a car worth more than the one I'm buying?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah I thought I could negate all the sales tax, but I looked it up and in NM I guess it's max 5k.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know that the Ecoboost is a pretty good car but I don't know why you'd buy a Mustang and not buy the V8.

A convertible ecoboost for just cruising around in.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't know about rear, but for front I bought a Viofo A139 Pro. Trying to buy an RF Miata right now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Youtube search results are so dumb now though, only the first couple results have anything to do with what you search for.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ok this is dumb, but help me understand this choppy dirt road surface.

This surface is totally uncomfortable in my bmw x3 m40i. I turned around about 50 ft beyond this pic, back to regular dirt and gravel road which are fine. How much of this is my run flats? Or just my cars suspension? How much is it just me being an old coddled weakling? On my way back, plenty of trucks and subarus were headed towards this.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

it seems like you're saying sell my bmw and buy a bronco.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Travic posted:

It's a little embarrassing, but it's an Ariel Atom. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I'm finally in a place where it's possible. I just didn't want to buy one and turn it's clutch into very expensive dust.

Or are you asking what I learned on? A friend let me practice with her Honda Civic. I'm not sure what type.

I bought my first manual just over a week ago. The first day was pretty rough, but it gets easier.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What are some of the lowest max speed speedometers? I was looking at a 2016 Wrangler that goes to 100.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Seatbelt guides, some cars have them, others don't. I've never thought much about them until I got a Miata. By default the seatbelt sits right against my neck. I found if you move the belt into the upper portion of the guide, it doesn't rub my neck. But then it doesn't properly retract. What is the purpose of them then?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Usually the engine break-in I've heard of is to try and vary the rpms and not run continuous rev for long periods. And not rev high.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Bank posted:

I have one of those jump starters and I'd recommend just buying it anyway. I leave it in the car and charge it every few months to keep it topped off if/when I need it. Sure, it'll be overkill for what OP needs it for right now, but it could come in handy in the future. I've certainly used mine 2-3 times already as my kids leave the dome lights on all the time.

I'm thinking the one I've had is maybe 5 years old now. What is a realistic lifespan of one of these? I have used it a few times, but not in quite a while now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Something about the way he reads off manufacturer claims on their packaging really makes me laugh. Otherwise I mostly skip through his vids looking for relevant parts.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Bank posted:

:same:

It's just packaging lingo to make you buy it, but he reads it with such conviction and truth to it.

""STOPS AND PREVENTS ENGINE SEAL LEAKS. MADE IN YOU ESS EYY"

I watch him all the time and have definitely bought things just because his chart said it was the best value.

And we're gonna test that!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It’s pretty wild that all the states in the Midwest, where road salt will literally rot your subframe and buckle your suspension, do not have car inspections. Not even just emissions inspections, because everyone’s exhaust has approximately 1/4 the lifespan of anywhere else, but literally nothing. poo poo, in Michigan you just say a car is driveable, no matter the condition, and it’s legal to drive until proven otherwise.

MN had annual inspections until maybe early 2000s.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Travic posted:

I may not be explaining this well. Sorry. Driving around the clutch is out and I'm in gear. I only put the clutch in if I'm stopping or shifting. I'll try shifting at a lower rpm and see if that helps. I don't think it's the engine bogging down. I've had that happen a few times. This feels quite literally like a single quick jolt any time I let off the gas in any gear.

I drove with Dad for a while and he did a good job getting me started, but well...some of stuff he told me was wrong so I'm unsure. I may just have to get someone else in the car with me.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll see what I can do.

This youtuber has tons of instructional vids: https://www.youtube.com/@ConquerDriving.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I had a 2013 Accord, eco changed the throttle response and hvac. But in my testing, leaving it on for entire tanks vs off, there was no diff in mpg. I had a 95% highway commute back then though.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Discount Tire will look at your tire for free. If its a valve stem thing they'll fix it free too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Does that car show tire pressure for each tire, or does a just general warning come on? Some systems are looking at just wheel rotation I think. Tire pressure is something you should check on a periodic basis.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am moving from NM to MN, have 2 cars, not sure if I'll drive 1 myself yet. Does anyone have a recommendation for somebody that would transport 1 or 2 of these for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Shoot an email to Ryan at ADKOS -- rbarrett@adkos.com. They did an excellent job moving my car from NC to WA.

I contacted these guys and one of my cars is supposed to get picked up today. They seem alright, they do have a hard sell script they read when you try to get off the phone with them.