Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I was pretty skeptical about the premise when they first started talking about it right after BB ended, but so far I'm hearing it gets pretty dark in places. Sounds like instead of Mr. Chips transforming into Scarface, it's McGill transforming into Goodman. With the outstanding writing/directing that went into BB I'm cautiously optimistic. Plus Mike is back woooooo.

edit: Should we start trying to guess the last scene of the final episode already? A goofy looking man with a baseball cap on sits down in his office, and coughs.

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
VINCE GILLIGAN

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Frostwerks posted:

I haven't seen but maybe the first three episodes of Breaking Bad but from what I've seen on youtube I like this character. Spoilers are entirely irrelevant to me, but will I need to have finished the series first to get the most out of this?

It would definitely help, knowing where the character ends up will no doubt change your perception of him in this show. I also can't imagine they won't be throwing in a bunch of wink-nudge references and injokes for BB fans.

Having said that, I think Gilligan is a strong enough writer that BB knowledge won't be required to enjoy the show, but would be a nice enhancement. Saul probably changes the least over the course of BB so once you're familiar with his character of 'slimy lawyer / comic relief' that should be enough going into things.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep. I guess this is Saul's intro to the Salamancas, which leads to his association with Gus/Mike yea?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In BB tradition this looks more like movie cinematography than something that was produced for television. And yes the wiki page says this season is 10 eps with another 13 already bought for season 2.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Frankly, I really hope they stay far away from Jesse and Walt. Their story was (extremely well) told and is done. Beefing up the backstory of some of our favorite side characters is great while we dive deep into Saul. Keep the mystery about Gus, but maybe have a few tiny bits of context thrown in for the careful viewer. Maybe a throw-away line about some up and coming drug lord or about a renegade Chilean general. I don't know. But keep it high level.

I'd rather get a lot more into Skinny Pete than Gus, TBH.

Truth. Jesse did mention that Saul got one of his buddies off some drug charge before, that's why they used him when Badger got picked up. I wouldn't expect Aaron Paul to be in a big scene or anything but maybe see his car or something in the parking lot one day, similar to driving by Walt's house in this episode. It would be super easy (and is honestly tempting) to pull too much poo poo over from BB, we just have to trust in the writing team that they understand how to handle their own material and don't mess with the already well resolved BB story.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

god lydia was so hot though

neurotic shouldn't = hot but it does and that worries me

If you haven't already, hunt down a clip of the actress speaking in her normal voice, she's got a super thick Scottish accent. At first you're like :stare: but then you're like :stwoon::fh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I too was apprehensive about an entire show based on a comic relief character. Then I watched two dudes get their legs broken for ten minutes. Vince I'm sorry I ever doubted you, let's be friends again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I was expecting something lighter, maybe something more episodic with client of the week. This was good, but I dont want it to be too much of a Breaking Bad 2.

This is what i was afraid it was going to be, instead I'm pretty drat pleased we seem to be getting BB2 (or BB0 since it's before). My only lingering concern is that they don't get enough seasons to build up to an appropriate conclusion and dovetail it with BB. I'm thinking about 4 seasons sounds about right.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Why are you investigating us? What do we sell?"

"Uhh, <legal jargon out his rear end>"

The writers could have a lot of fun tiptoeing around stuff like this, BB fans will love it but it won't detract from people watching this show fresh.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The loving attention to detail these people give to their shows never fails to astound me. I can't wait to hear the insider podcast!

I'm rewatching the first ep in HD and just noticed that during the cold open when he's playing his old commercials, the TV reflection in his glasses is in color. Looking back to happier times with literally rose-tinted glasses? Discuss.

edit for visual aid:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 11, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

... Huh?

Consider yourself lucky you missed that bit towards the end of the Breaking Bad threads :suicide:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Antenna phone :3:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

Ha, he's totally getting them as clients after all. If he wanted to, he could absolutely get them to drop HMM and take him by virtue of attorney/client confidentiality. I hope he's sensible enough to do just that. It's nice to see Jimmy trying to be good too.

No wonder he was able to turn Walt into a competent criminal in fairly short order, he's used to dealing with milquetoast idiots.

Exactly. He's going to take them as clients while splitting the money with Nacho, giving him his first taste of Saul-level corruption. Then he'll pull some Better Call Saul! lawyer trickery and actually get them all cleared of the theft charges, showing him he can balance his underworld dealings with being a legit defense attorney. This is how Saul is born.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mike was the "head of security" for all of Los Pollos, you don't just hire a dude off the street to be the main enforcer for your growing meth empire. We may see the beginning of that relationship here in BCS but Mike definitely had a few years with Gus under his belt before we meet him in BB. I suspect it's a slight plot hole that he was running around doing poo poo for Saul like cleaning up the Jane OD, that was originally supposed to be Saul himself but Odenkirk was unavailable so they just made up some cleaner guy for that one scene. Then they ended up bring him back towards the end of season 3 and the rest is history.

On an unrelated note, some people in the BB threads said there was some benefit for mirroring the podcasts in DropBox because Sony won't let you stream the files or something. If that's still the case I can try and keep up with getting each podcast mirrored as it's released. Here's the first two:

BCS 101 Uno Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 102 Mijo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BCS podcast mirrors. If you'd like to leave a messageBETTERCALLSAUL

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 103 Nacho Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guess this is where he starts learning the laundering trade... We've seen where he gets his fondness for nail salons, now I'm waiting for the LazerTag episode.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

Bob Odenkirk with curly hair photoshopped on looks scarily like Adam Sandler.

Over/under on a Tonight Show skit? Jimmy Fallon in a blonde wig. But watching live I kept seeing Sandler as well.

e:

NowonSA posted:

Because of that, and because he hates Hamlin, he uses basically all the money on the clothes and the billboard to both change the public's impression of him and to stick it to Hamlin. Then once he gets called out on it, like he knew he would, he comes up with the hero con to really get his name out there.

No way, that was the plan from the beginning. The whole point of the opening con was to set us up the billboard con. That's why he made it so blatant, he knew he'd be ordered to take it down. poo poo was a multi-stage long con :getin:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 24, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 104 Hero Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

EDIT: Just saw the preview. Yep, Mike has a son. gently caress that episode looks dark.

Please keep preview chat under spoilers until the following week. I intentionally avoid watching them, so the toilet was right out of nowhere for me tonight :)

Nail Rat posted:

He always has been IMO. He didn't give up Jesse to Mike under threat of broken legs, he made sure Jesse and Mike got their money when he was about to skip town, and he legitimately seemed horrified with what Walt did to Brock. Walt would've given no fucks about any of that.

Well the broken leg thing doesn't really count, Walt had already given him the false address and he was always meant to 'sell out' Jesse, he just needed to put on a tiny show of resistance so Mike didn't get suspicious.

So I guess at least part of the upcoming episode will show how Mike and Saul become, not friends I guess, but associates at least. Who do you think Mike is going to call once those cops take him in? Good thing that card is still in his pocket :haw:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Sort of. When she gets caught stealing things from several open houses, Hank calls in a favor from ABQ PD to get her out of it. His PD contact (forget the guy's name) asks for Hank to return the favor by looking at Gale's lab notebook.

And unless mine eyes deceive me that's also who was knockin' on Mike's door... coincidence????

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

Your eyes need to learn to tell black people apart.

Nigel Gibbs (APD Detective Tim Roberts)

Barry Shabaka Henley (Mysterious Philly Cop)

drat I feel like a racist rear end in a top hat now :ohdear: I thought the voice even sounded the same...

As penance have a fresh podcast mirror:

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 105 Jello Alpine Shepherd Boy Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe tonight's episode is supposed to be Mike-centric.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Podcast just went up, for those who can listen to them direct from Sony. Hope they got Banks as a guest for this one.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 106 Five-O Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crankit posted:

I guess that vet will be the guy who introduces mike to gus... but maybe indirectly since Saul describes it as knowing a guy who knows a guy who...

I've started thinking we may actually see Gus now, since Mike obviously has history with him prior to BB. At first I thought not since Saul never met him, but if they're spending any decent amount of show time fleshing out Mike's story he pretty much has to be in there somewhere. I'm calling Gus in the season one finale.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Let's be honest, no one wants to be in the position where they have to call Mike :ohdear:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

The interesting thing is that Walter kind of seemed desperate for Mike's approval. He always tries to get Mike on his side, and in that scene it's played almost as though Walt impulsively shoots Mike because he's mad that Mike is saying he's an idiot who hosed everything up.

I'm still catching up on the podcasts and just today at the gym I listened to 507. Vince/the writers said that when Walt went to bring Mike his bugout bag that he had no plans at that time, it wasn't until he opened it and saw the gun that he started thinking ahead. They also mentioned it was Mike yelling at him that pushed him over the edge, comparing him unfavorably to Gus and especially the line 'if only you had known your place'. That's what flipped him on to full Heizenburg, if only for a moment, and resulting in him shooting Mike. Also that bloody handprint on the boulder was added in digitally since the cameras didn't really pick up much of the blood they dumped on the ground.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Good Cop/Bad Cop isn't always this transparent in real life, is it?

I think that was legit, the older guy knew how things really worked and was on Mike's side.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

I thought the same, so, probably?

Thirded, I tried to look at all the posters for easter eggs and definitely remember a fat long-goatee'd guy in there.

I'm really impressed with how this show has defied expectations. We probably all thought (and I believe it was in fact the original premise) that this would be some episodic wacky client of the week thing where Jimmy would get beat down by all the 'real lawyers' but then pull some Saul magic out of his rear end in the 4th act and win the case. Kind of like actual Matlock now that I think about it :stonklol:

I was fully expecting this to happen since the beginning with the Kettlemans, they even tried to blackmail Jimmy into doing just that, but nope Jimmy turns right instead of left and the show is that much more interesting and satisfying because of it. This's good TV folks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Podcast just went up. I'm at work and can't listen right now but I hope they talk about the Mike catburglar sequence, that was hot. All dem apples :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 107 Bingo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Asema posted:

So how are the ratings for BCS? Is it strong enough to continue or is it going to go the way of so many shows that I've ever enjoyed.

I miss you Journeyman

Wiki says they're hovering in the mid two millions per episode, don't know how good that is for a cable show. At least we're getting at least another thirteen episodes in season two, bought and paid for afaik.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming they at least used to date and are now just buds, like Seinfeld and Elaine or something. They've never gotten romantically affectionate on camera, but I'm definitely getting the feeling that there 'used to be something more' between them. If nothing else Jimmy is at least crushing on her a bit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started watching Fargo thanks to this thread, didn't realize both Frodo and Anton ChigurhSlingblade were in it in addition to Saul and Betsy. First episode was pretty cool. It's also a testament to Julie Ann's acting chops that Betsy both looks and acts so completely unappealing as a character while the actress herself is bloody gorgeous.

In an even more unrelated note I was randomly watching Terminator 2 just now and noticed Hank as a SWAT dude in the Cyberdyne offices, neat!

late edit: ugh yes Bilbo not Frodo, thought I doublechecked that, my nerd cred is wounded :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I :lol:'d at the extended poppy dumpster dive, only for him to take one step and be in front of the goddamn recycling bin.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BCS intern just woke up and finally uploaded the podcast, for those who can grab it from Sony. I'm at work where streaming audio is blocked :(

Wanna hear about dat dumpster diaper :shrek:

edit:

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 107 Bingo Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

BCS 108 Julie Ann Emery has a fantastic pairRICO Live Discussion
Podcast Dropbox Mirror

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 24, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

caldrax posted:

Thanks so much to the poster(s?) of the podcast links, I hate iTunes and will take any opportunity I can to get around using it.

No worries, it's easier for me to access as well. I don't watch much TV live anymore, but if I can contribute to the communities of top-tier stuff like BB and BCS in even this small way then it'SALL GOOD MAN :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cromulent posted:

I feel like this issue is going to be this week's "We still don't know where the Kettleman's money ended up."

I noticed it too, they started playing his ofuckimoutside freakout music and the camera was up underneath his chin again, but then things evened out and the weird 'electromagnetic sound effects' went away. I guess it could still go either way but my assumption was he dropped the box in shock that he wasn't being affected by being outside.

As for future Saul timeline talk, we never really saw any of his 'home life' during BB. I think it would be hilarious if we got into the time that BB covered and they set up a running gag where we keep juuuuust missing all the BB characters so Bryan and Aaron never actually appear on camera, and instead see what Saul was up to at the same time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ http://movietouch.sony.com.edgesuite.net/podcasts/better_call_saul_v1/better_call_saul_insider_podcast.xml

LesterGroans posted:

I was afraid during that whole scene at the end--that amazing, amazing scene--that Jimmy had his cell on him. I was really glad to see him grab it from the mailbox.

The whole problem was that he loves his brother/wants to make him proud, he doesn't want to hurt him.

It was sad as poo poo and Bob Odenkirk sold the hell out of that scene.

I noticed that too. And I can't quite put it into words, but I bet there's some heavy symbolism with that last shot of Chuck, rather than running out into the light after his brother, instead chooses to slink back into the darkness, alone, like some kind of lawyer Gollum.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The post template I usually use is at work, so since the podcast came out at frikkin midnight this time y'all get a ghetto podcast mirror post until this afternoon :)

BCS 109 Pimento Live chat starts --> here
Dropbox podcast mirrors one two three

• Locked thread