Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

So I hit DMG a couple of weeks ago and I'm amazed at the differences in skill at this rank in the 30 or so games I've played. It seems in half of my games I slaughter the enemy completely, and the other half I get completely wrecked. I also saw two blatant shooting-through-walls-100%-headshot hackers in my first week, which is more than I ever saw in my 2 months at MGX.

Anyway, I can tell I'm not very consistent at DMG, T side I seem to do fine because I either like to play sneaky and or getting early aggressive picks, but I really struggle with CT side as I just can't seem to hold a site against a solid T rush and am even worse at making successful retakes. I'll post a replay later this week, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for playing CT at this level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ahdinko posted:

Yeah I need get the goonpug plugin on there, i'll probably just replicate it to be an EU sub.io as much as I can, 14-16 slots, goonpug, and some fun maps in the ready breaks. The server was only running at about 30% load when full so we've got plenty of room to play with plugins and stuff. May be even be able to throw up a second server on the same box for surf or something.

I'll probably do all this on the weekend. I know when we were all talking about this before some people said they wouldn't mind sticking some money in the pot to keep it going, once i've got it properly setup, i'll sort a paypal out too.
If I do it monthly its about £27 a month, if I sign up for a year its about £18 so if we get some cash in the pot I can do it for a year.

Gonna need some admins too to help keep it running smoothly when something crashes or Mr Pink joins. The only EU goons I've played with in any regularity are Jeza, KCer, and XP so I'm not sure who's out there to choose. I don't really mind who gets admin as I'm not really protective of it, as long as they're not abusing it to make it unfun for anyone else. Anyone want to step up to the plate?

Anyone got any requests for what you guys wanna see from the server? In terms of features/plugins/maps/that really annoying unreal tournament voice that goes M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL/etc??

I am EU and I have some other EU goon friends around the MGE/DMG rank who would be interested in EU pugs if they happen at all. I'd want to play goon pugs but the NA latency is a deal breaker for me.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

J posted:

Double check your typically used smokes and flashes - rewatch the demos and check if they are actually effective. If they aren't, youtube some better ones. You should be able to slow down most full blown rushes with them. In general when defending a rush, your job is to stay alive as long as possible. Don't take any 1vX fights (unless they are all lined up, then gently caress it have fun.) Have a fall back plan. Kill one guy, fall back. Kill another guy, fall back. These should be quick bursts, if you whiff or don't do enough damage to kill, then fall back anyway. Don't sit there spraying your whole clip at the first T you see. The T team would love to trade you 1 for 1, so don't let them. Take thin angles such that you are exposed as little as possible, to make it as difficult as possible for more than 1 T to get positioning on you to shoot at you without hitting his teammate. Once you have no room to fall back and have to go down swinging, try to wait and peek the first guy coming into the site right as he's coming around the corner to your hiding spot. Remember, as long as you stay alive, the T team has to account for you. They'd like to start preparing to shoot at the rotating CTs, but if you're still alive, not all of them can do that. If you're playing a position where you can fall back all the way out of the site entirely, don't be afraid to do so and just wait for the rest of your team, and retake as a group. It is far better than you dying.

On retakes - sometimes you're just gonna be hosed on these. It depends on how your teammates play, and how fast the T team is playing. But try to focus on the things you do have control over. Could you have rotated earlier with the information you had at the time? If not, could you have done something to gain enough information to comfortably rotate sooner, like pushing forward in your site when it was quiet to see that nobody was coming? If your teammates are getting repeatedly owned in the other site, you can always offer to trade positions with them. Also, I feel like a lot of people are too scared of over-rotating and getting yelled at. Just communicate to your teammate in the site that you are rotating, and tell him to be careful as a result. In my experience (LEM), very few teams will do any sort of fancy split strat or fake on a round where they have guns. If there is action in a site, that is most likely where the bomb is going, so get over there. If they get you with a fake...well good for them, I'd still rather play towards the most common situation. Now, T teams on an eco will fake all the time, so I'm much more cautious about rotating in those rounds.

In general on CT one of the biggest things you can do is be harder to kill. Don't play your site in the same spot every round. Mix it up. Play passively sometimes and aggressively other times. Throw a popflash and peek behind it every now and then. Rotate conservatively through CT spawn sometimes, and flank through the middle other times. Don't trade yourself 1 for 1, you want to get more than 1 kill, or at least buy a lot of time. CT starts with a map control advantage, so use it to the fullest.

Thanks a lot, I'll go over my replays and try to look out for the things you mentioned. When I get a chance I'll post one here too as I'm terrible at spotting my own mistakes.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

exethan posted:

Every time I look at lolyou's stream he's pretty much guaranteed to be actively losing a game for his team. It is not very entertaining. I prefer to watch Olofmeister, who is a god and also has a hoverboard

Also, auto votekick every dinosower clan tag.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Does the new UT have ranked matchmaking yet? I would play it so hard if it did.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I wrecked someone for ten minutes on it yesterday so it instantly gets my approval.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I wouldn't mind the whole gambling controversy as much if the betting websites were regulated like even remotely at all.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Smol posted:

Lol the players earn at least $100k each year from the majors, who gives a poo poo if some lovely skin sites don't get their advertisements

Is that true? I've always read that pro gamers even right at the top actually get paid poo poo all.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I imagine the really popular players like olof make a shitton on twitch too.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fennesz posted:

It's not a huge issue for me but I'll ask because most of you are much better than I am. What do you do if you're just playing like poo poo? Do you stop? DM? Do something else? I only won 1 of my 4 games today and my teams were just bad vibes through and through. I should have probably stopped but I didn't.

I wouldn't turn my nose up if someone donated $20k.

Keep playing and down rank so you can have some really easy games when your ~MaDsKiLlZ~ return.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

No but seriously that's what I do.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Maybe you're coming close to winning and people kick you because of that?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Except if you miss that shot there's no follow up. You're dead. P250 you just keep clicking.

Solution: don't miss

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Olofmeister and Get Right missed them by misjudging distance. N0thiing missed one while standing over t side mid on Cache. Tasers are fun but you won't usually see a pro team break them out unless they're super far ahead or if it's an eco. Considering I'm nowhere near half as good as these guys it will probably never change a round in our favor or anything.

Meanwhile you won't see them miss a p250 shot point blank to the head. And if you're using a p250 and a second person comes around the corner after the tase, you can click that guy's head too. High risk, high reward.

If you buy a taser every single round and don't ever get a kill with it, you spend less than a single m4.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

On the other hand, every two rounds you buy a wasted taser that's a flash short on the next eco.

My point is that in the long run the cost of a taser is basically nothing and you might even make 2x return on it. Valve should be trying to make the already random eco rounds less effective, not devaluing the least competitive weapon in the game to a point where it is a legit, mostly inconsequential buy in addition to a P250 or whatever.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I'd say if you're on an anti-eco and they get close enough to tase you it's your fault for getting in that position. You have range over them, use it.

That's nice on paper, but that is simply not possible in a lot of cases. I can think of dozens of locations where it is basically impossible to clear a position without getting close to it. For example, dust2 B tunnels at dog and on double stack, basically anywhere in Inferno apps, chequers in cache, and the list goes on. Yeah you can have a molly for some locations, but mollies are expensive and really you shouldn't need a molly to not die to a guy on eco who can kill you by just clicking absolutely anywhere on your body.

qhat fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 22, 2015

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

All I'm saying is that one hit kill -anything- should be an investment with consequences if you get it wrong. Right now, the Zeus is not that; but that's just my opinion.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ZypherIM posted:

In my mind I can't think of what map you're talking about for your first example.

For your second, inferno apps is already a goddamn death trap, and on an anti-eco why would you go to a place you know is at 1-shot pistol range?

Checkers in cache is similar, in that you're volunteering to go to a place where the engagement is short range, and is also a pretty popular pistol hidey spot. Do a mid->split A take instead and have a booster check for someone pushed up super close.

This holds true for other maps. Inferno is probably the worst for ct-zeus, but even on that it is highly unlikely that it would have been less effective to just have a p250 in the same spot. If there is a spot that is super dangerous when they're on eco, you go somewhere else or clear it with a grenade.

Also the consequence for getting a zeus wrong is you're dead, 100%. If they're not alone, you're probably still dead.

The first map is dust2, sorry I left that out by accident.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Pretty much. Even n0thing's crazy zeus plays left him dead after the first kill. He picked up a mac-10 and was immediately destroyed by the people behind him. It's most useful on CT side, but a 1-1 trade for CTs is considered a bad thing and most the time even a successful zeus kill is going to be traded by a halfway decent team.

Well actually he picked up the Mac-10 and killed another person, but I'd still pay $100 any day of the week to remove $5000 from the enemy team while I'm on eco, even if I did die.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ZypherIM posted:

I'm pretty sure I have yet to see someone with a dinosower tag that wasn't either bad, hacking, or both.

Same, although rather than being outright bad at the game, it's more that they are either intentionally griefing the entire match, or exclusively trying to get ~sIcK nOsCoPe~ kills for their retarded frag movie while going 5-15.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ahdinko posted:

Games still look good on a TN panel, and yeah as you said IPS is not affordable for your average gamer right now and are about 3x the cost of a TN monitor so imo a 144hz TN monitor is a great buy right now as they've dropped to the point where its a viable buy for an average gamer rather than just turbonerds. A repesectable 24" 60hz monitor is £120-130 these days, and a resepectable 144hz monitor can be had for £190-200 so its not a killer increase

I was actually considering splashing out on one of the new 144hz IPS monitors until I read about the unbelievable amount of defects these new panels have. Like every second review was talking about multiple dead pixels and crazy backlight bleed, even after multiple RMAs. Even if you have the money, it's really not worth purchasing these things yet unless you don't mind playing the monitor lottery. In the end I just went for a 24" benq and I couldn't be happier that I did.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/q8i0l/aimbots_and_speedhacks_already_being_used/c3vp8ck

Woah, holy crap, did anyone else know about this?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Your rank is determined by how low your resolution and sensitivity is, how big your mouse pad is, and most importantly, which gaming chair you use.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

symbolic posted:

I find USP-S headshots come naturally for me. It's the only gun I can consistently headshot with every time I use it, so I dunno.

Same, but deagle.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jeza posted:

It is very likely that the ranking system works on a per round basis, but it's too difficult to say whether individual performance is relevant. I feel like it isn't.

You can generally mark a trend that you'll rank up in fewer games if you string together wins with big round differences. It's also a clue that the surrender system saves your exact scoreline. You can surrender while ahead in rounds and it counts as a win. It would also explain why you can't vote to surrender without a teammate abandoning, and a kicked teammate doesn't count, because it opens the door to abuse. You could just surrender every game where you get a few rounds lead and boost yourself like that relatively easily. Getting 12-3 as CT nuke and then surrendering etc.

There is absolutely no evidence that surrendering while ahead logs the match as a win, apart from what is most likely a bugged UI component on the 'Your Matches' page which compares your scoreline directly. Unless of course anyone here has a screenshot of them ranking up upon surrendering.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've been making a website for a little while now for collecting CS:GO match statistics and generating odds predictions for upcoming matches that pop-up on CS:GO lounge, and a system for ranking professional teams. I guess it sounds a bit cliche, but I was bored and decided to do it anyway. I was wondering if anyone would find something like that useful, moreover I was hoping for some feedback on what I've got so far.

http://www.taterset.com/

One thing I want to state is that this isn't really ready for full public release, but any feedback would be very much appreciated!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Blue Caboose posted:

I'm sorta struggling through the same boat, just at DMG instead. Mostly, my solution has been "stop making stupid plays", especially on CT. Did you get a sweet fastpick on A site last round? don't go back to the well. People at MGE-DMG are finally actually paying attention to the game. When you're holding common positions, maybe don't play them super aggressively. People will actually prefire quad or forklife on cache A, for instance, and there's a reasonable chance that if you're just sitting on the corner staring down your barrel, you won't be able to react in time.

Adren's video on consistency is also super helpful. He talks about consistency not being a matter of aim, but a matter of positioning. Sure, if the other team sucks you can get away with constantly peeking mid with an m4 and playing those aggressive angles, but as soon as someone on the other team has a modicum of skill, bad tactics won't work. It might feel like "oh man, i'm just missing shots" but you always sucked and you were always missing shots, the opponent just let you get away with it.

So basically, play smarter, not harder.

As for T side. throw grenades, get return kills.

Tbh at DMG and MGE people still suck major balls and those cheesy strategies still work perfectly fine if you're out aiming them. Likewise holding a good position doesn't mean poo poo if you're still aiming like dogshit in comparison to your enemy. Consistency honestly doesn't mean jack poo poo in solo queue because there are so many random factors.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

So my smurf lost its MG2 rank because of inactivity so I thought I'd try and derank it last night further by going dualies only. Well, turns out I ended up 40 bombing one match with like 10mvps and top fragging the next match. MGs are really horrible.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bohemian Nights posted:

Find some friends and play with a stack and you'll soon carry each other up to LE where all the other old novas hang out

I've been in LE for about 2 weeks now and I've by far seen the most P90 rushing in this one rank than I've ever seen since I ranked out of Nova. Is this the rank where the P90 rush massively drops off or something because there is a whole bunch of it pooled here for some reason.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

symbolic posted:

What are you talking about? Fnatic has been in a slump for the past month. Unless they can rally around for Cluj, I don't see them winning.

Anyways, TSM is going to win.

I hope. :denmark:

I'm hesitant to call TSM better than fnatic at the moment, I'll want to see what happens at Cluj before deciding. A fnatic win here would be insane since they will have won every single major this year. Also, let's not talk about NV or VP like they are out of the running.

conversation piece posted:

Tell me which ones are wrong so I can tell you that I don't care

Mine are the same as yours except I picked mouz instead, but I think those two teams are very close skillwise anyway so it's a coinflip.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I still think C9 are the better team on paper even though they are slumping so I just feel that they should take it. I guess who cares anyway, one or two points lost on day 1 isn't a huge deal. I'm more interested to see how Liquid does since they are looking very strong recently.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Smol posted:

Anyone tried some of the new 144Hz 2560x1440 IPS panels like the Acer XB270HU? Thinking of switching from dual 24" 1920x1080 setup (one 60Hz IPS, one 144Hz TN) to a single 2560x1440 144Hz IPS one, as long as I can find one that isn't terrible.
I considered getting one, but there are a lot of negative reviews about these panels coming with significant defects (multiple dead pixels, horrible IPS glow, etc) and people having to get multiple replacements before they got a panel which was acceptable. Overall I got the impression that if you order one you might be okay, but there's also a significant chance you won't be and will have to play monitor roulette. If you don't mind taking that risk then you will probably end up with a great monitor (and people give it 5 stars when they get a good one), else you should probably wait until the technology has matured a bit.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rond posted:

BenQ and Asus are decent brand for monitors.

Got 2 BenQ and never had any problem with them.

For what it's worth, Asus also sell a 144hz IPS but it suffers the same problems because the panel is the exact same as the Acer.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I really hope envyus do well because they are so aggressive and fun to watch, and also because my fantasy team contains 2 NV players.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I never thought I'd do this, but I picked Liquid and CLG over NiP and dignitas. Anyone else feeling NA has it today?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mouz are pretty decent at kicking the crap out of tier 2 teams and occasionally upsetting the tier 1 sides. Much like Germany in general.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Finally, a map which isn't cobblestone.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not sure why the 'analyst' desk was so critical of mouz, they were clearly the stronger team pre-match and their game against G2 (which by the way is a decent team too) was a coinflip anyway.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mcvey posted:

Had a real chance at winning the round and breaking NiPs econ until they jump out of apts without info because reasons

If they had beaten NiP's force buy after NiP lost the AWPs and Auto, that could've tipped NiP over the edge into full on tilt. But they didn't, so they lost the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

real dilemma posted:

please someone explain to me why everyone keeps letting CLG play one of their favorite maps???

Dig are garbage and have been for a while.

• Locked thread