Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lemon-Lime posted:

No Nintendo console will ever again be as ugly as the limited edition Tales of Symphonia GC:

are you kidding me? The sticker on top is heinous but that shade of blue is supoib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's not a sticker, it's an image under the clear plastic top of the disc cover.

It's also not blue, it's a horrible pastel green.

You mean a gorgeous pastel green. It's like toothpaste, I love it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spellman posted:

There is an illusion here though. I believe the environments in Superstar Saga DX are literally 2D drawn sprite/texturework, while the ones in Dream Team/Paper Jam are modelled 3D

The paper jam/dream team sprites are 2d pixel art too, just really hi-res with a depthmap and a lot of angles

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dehry posted:

If you want a good laugh and have CFW/homebrew, launch Xenoblade Chronicles 3D underclocked to original 3DS speeds.

Are there videos of this?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

god the comments on this video make me want to pull my hair out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I got my kid a Super Mario Maker 2ds for Christmas and transferred all his old stuff to it. I have my own New 3DS XL, but wondering what to do with his old 2DS. I've thought about modding it but not sure if there's anything with doing with a modded system other than piracy which I absolutely won't do. Is there any primer for fun non-piracy stuff you can do with a modded system? Every video I've tried to watch about it is just freeshop tutorial.

If you don't consider GBA games piracy, 3DS family systems make for great ways to play GBA roms, because when injected into the Ambassador compatability layer, they run more accurately and with less lag than any software solution because they're running on almost bare metal. Great way to play the Mother 3 translation!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re actually playing natively when you play them that way. No emulation. It owns.

There's a little software trickery, IIRC, to patch up compatibility issues and support save games and stuff. But yeah, not really emulation - I guess the best comparison would be some of the hybrid approaches to backcompat during the ps3 lifespan?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The last one that came out on 3DS, Battle Royale, is the first one in a really long time that I didn't think was very good.

squeak squad squcks but that was over a decade ago

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Homebrew emulators run okay-ish on o3DS/2DS, but SNES virtual console really needs the boosted specs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

wrong thread oops

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

NSMB2 has 2-player co-op over local wireless.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It was on Wii U VC but had a lot of weird stuff going on - drastically improved framerate but also truly horrible input lag.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

There were lots of people with a DS and I imagine the cost of developing games for it were low. That has to be the explanation for the sheer amount of (physical!) releases, most of which you wouldn't even consider spending a second on. There were like 3 titles based on a quiz show from my small country alone. I wish I knew the details of how many units they ended up selling and what was the development cost/break-even point for those games.

The DS didn't have a digital distribution system so every piece of shovelware got printed onto cheap flash ROM.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Heath posted:

Speaking of VC stuff, I recently bought a N3DSXL and the guy was kind enough to not wipe it and left a couple dozen games on it, including the GBA ambassador games. Is it just me or are the GBA games just absolutely hideous on this screen? They're very dim, to the point where I tried playing Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and I kept getting wrecked because I couldn't tell what was going on. Doing the resolution changing trick by holding start at the boot up helped but it was still very dark in comparison to GB or NES games for some reason, and I can't go back to the main menu to adjust brightness or anything.

I thiiiink the dimming filter was instituted because they didn't have the time/budget to go through each rom, modify it for potential seizure causes, and certify them all. And since the compatibility layer is totally hardware with no emulation capacity, they couldn't get conditional anti-seizure safety measures running.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wario Land is completely excellent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mega Man Star Force DX. It's a romhack that brings the first Star Force game up to super polish and provides alternatives for the decommissioned online service content and plastic-toy-in-japan exclusive gameplay.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

worm girl posted:

Also nobody played Minish Cap but it's like the fourth best Zelda game ever made. Highly recommend.

It's also bite-sized. It's shorter than even just one of the Oracle games!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSH20U2FL74

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I replaced the circle pad on my daughter’s 2DS XL and now I’m having a couple weird problems.

Well one isn’t weird, the volume adjust doesn’t work, I guess I just need to make sure that’s in the right position after it fell off.

The second one is that I can’t scroll the home screen to the right. I can move the circle and dpads to the right then it just bounces off the edge and won’t go any farther.

Does anyone have an idea? And what is the right position for the volume slider?

The ZL and ZR buttons scroll the home screen, so one of the ZL or ZR buttons could be stuck firing, dragging the screen to one side.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Homebrew can let you control the volume with software, at least when playing DS Roms.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Also how am I going to get evolution medals when I wont be able to visit other castles in fates when the online shutdown?!

You can get the DLC using hshop and you can get evolution medals using cheat code injection all via homebrew

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Heath posted:

So I finally bit on it and put CFW on my 3DS. But I'll admit that I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do with my newfound powers. I want to try out that Virtual Boy emulator, but aside from things like NES and SNES games and all that, what else is there? Can I do N64 stuff? I really just want to play Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Are there homebrew 3DS games that are worth a poo poo?

There's a fan port of SM64 that has full widescreen 60fps stereoscopic 3D and c-stick camera control. PS1 emulation works okay for some games on New models. There are tons of cool DS and 3DS romhacks that you can play, some of which are even hosted on hShop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Luna/FBI is designed to install .CIAs to your home screen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Also by the time Nintendo announced that they were shutting down their servers, 3DS and Wii U piracy were both so healthy that no one had anything to really panic about.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Manky posted:

Yep! As for UU, I think it's usually installed as a step of CFW. But if you have CFW and still need to install it, probably easiest to remote install the CIA through FBI - I think you can scan the code at https://github.com/Universal-Team/Universal-Updater/releases

UU is pretty straightforward after that, it'll do its best to detect what homebrew you have installed and the biggest things to remember are whether you have something installed as a CIA or 3dsx file while updating. (Note: UU will install CIAs itself, you don't need to go to FBI again. That tripped me up for a second.)

To be honest, after I got it working last night, I couldn't get another session to connect. So it's definitely still a little rough. But while it was working, Crazy Taxi was pretty playable. It had some occasional hitching issues, and of course the compression was aggressive going from 1080p, but input latency was very nice and low - should be good enough for most games (for me, anyway). I'm definitely going to be messing around more when I have the time, I'm dying to know what I can get working in 3D.

Sonic Generations has side by side 3D and I can confirm it works from today's experiments.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yes, you don't need an internet connection at all to hack a 3DS and the methods that use the web browser have nothing to do with Nintendo's servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Small Strange Bird posted:

It worked! :toot: Now to find some good 3DS games that aren't RPGs, because I don't have the time to do anything that isn't pick-up-and-play any more.

POCKET

CARD

JOCKEY