Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Here are some more random Netflix streaming recommendations I haven't seen posted yet:

Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Thief (1981)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)
Oldboy (2003)
Lady Vengeance (2005)
L'Age D'Or (1930)
Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)
Mud (2012)
The Sacrifice (1986)
The Barbarian Invasions (2003)
The Trap (2007)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within (2010)
The Hunter (2011)
Muriel's Wedding (1994)
Headhunters (2011)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Boys from Brazil (1978)

These are obviously all gold-played A+ recommendations, because I have excellent taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's Such a Beautiful Day is melancholy, but I didn't find it depressing at all.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

The ending is one of the most beautiful, transcendent finales I've ever seen in a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

weekly font posted:

Batista's fight is probably the best but I was disappointed his weak spot wasn't his balls, because that's a kung fu movie staple for iron skins.

Or in Crippled Avengers, where the guy with iron skin's weak spot is getting a hole kicked in his chest by a guy with a prosthetic iron leg.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

e: nevermind

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I'm so glad that I'm not too sophisticated to find peeing funny

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Pycckuu posted:

I touched on this previously, but in movies and TV shows everything you are shown has a purpose. When I watch stuff I subconsciously ask "why is the movie showing/telling me this?" Typically, bathrooms are where private conversations take place (Robocop), or places where characters are vulnerable get caught with their pants down (also Robocop). Bowel movement is usually not the focus of these scenes, unless you are watching GLOW, where the point of the show seems to be that women have bodily secretions.

Maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe you should try to actually watch the movies you are looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP9KXdmO0

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Didn't watch the specials but I did see Dave Chappelle live in NYC a few months ago and from what I remember the trans material was more about his own discomfort and adjustment as he's tried to become a more tolerant person than it was punching down at all.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched Dirty Grandpa on prime last night. It...sure was a movie. I'm not a Deniro connessuire by any means but I don't think the 1995 Deniro would approve.

I bet if you asked him about it he'd mumble awkwardly while not making eye contact

De Niro is really weird

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Imagine how broken your eyes and ears and brain would have to be to think Port of Call is a bad movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I recommended Aggretsuko to my 65-year-old parents and they're really into it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

precision posted:

oh poo poo that came out??? gently caress YES.

edit: OK, I'm sure he's not lying about "no camera tricks" but even knowing logically how he did the phone one I still don't see how he did that without doing something off-camera

same with the marshmallow except i don't even know how that one could have possibly been done

e2: okay the wife in the backpack HAD to be editing/camera tricks, that's literally impossible :mad:

They wouldn't be illusions if they didn't look impossible

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I just watched Black Panther and wow, that was a real dull piece of poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I just about turned the movie off when the coup or civil war or whatever was 100 idiots wearing red and blue punching each other in an empty field. And every interior was an ultramodern nightmare, like they filmed exclusively in the loft apartments of Scandinavian millionaires. Anything having to do with vibranium tech was completely generic sci-fi chrome nonsense. Just a complete lack of visual imagination in the cinematography and production design.

The movie also had some serious script problems -- just awful dialogue, particularly in constant, unnecessary cuts to people commenting or reacting to action.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 9, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Episode 1 of the new Norm MacDonald show was good but episode 2 is stupendously bad. If the guest is too dumb or good-natured for him to gently caress with them everything falls apart

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hahaha; what’s his deal with those tangents anyway? I remember reading Cujo (IIRC) as a kid and it went on this tangent about one guy’s habits, down to describing how stiff his bedsheets were due to all the dried semen on them due to his constant masturbating. Back then I was like ‘Yo what the Hell is this all about?!’

E: to contribute, I found Four Lions and Dave Made A Maze are currently on Hulu

King is a pervert. I find it endearing.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I was sick as poo poo all weekend so I binge watched Maniac. I liked its inventiveness and the way it treated and explored its characters, but like a lot of shows and films about mental health, trauma, and attachment, it's pulling a lot of toys out the toybox but doesn't quite understand how any of them work.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Booyah- posted:

The Third Man is on netflix, that's one of my favorite old movies.

It's perfect.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

How well does VRV work with a Chromecast?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Frog Act posted:

How is Ozarks? I like Jason Bateman or whatever bjs name js

S1 is good and but in S2 they run out of ideas and start to spin their wheels a bit

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I felt like they kept going back to the "now you gotta do a thing for me...in 24 hours!!!" well a few too many times. In addition to a bunch of the plot threads becoming really silly and overblown.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I actually find the Church of Satan quite endearing. This is the Satanic Temple, which is a different thing entirely that mostly does First Amendment activism.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

I thought the church of Satan doesn't believe in Satan either, but are just libertarians.

Pretty much, they grew out of weirdo 60's/70's San Francisco counterculture as an excuse to party with naked women. Founded by a dorky Jewish guy named Howard Levey who changed his name to Anton LaVey. It's basically a Portlandia sketch.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 6, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

This is false: all of the dogs featured in "Dogs" will die

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Maniac is an impeccably crafted show that fumbles just about all of the bigger ideas it tries to play with.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I enjoyed Buster Scruggs throughout, but the first segment is so fantastic that I think the rest of the film suffers in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Endless rewatches of The Last Dragon and Godzilla '84 completely dominate my memories of ages 8-10