Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magnus The Red posted:

Also Dead Snow 2 has some really dark humor, zombie killing action, and lots of gore.

Watched this the other night. I felt the comedy really tailed off in the second half (though there were still some great gags) but on the whole I was genuinely impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Breaking Bad's went up I think on the same day the rest of the season aired so Mad Men will likely do the same thing. I definitely didn't have to wait for all of Season 5 to air to see the first half.

Breaking Bad Season 5's first half was put on Netflix on August 2, nine days before the August 11 premiere of Season 5 Part 2, which went on Netflix the following February. There was absolutely a wait.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a worthy uhh posted:

You read his post wrong.

I totally did. :doh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skywalker OG posted:

Robocop 2014 puts out some great ideas that are alternative to the original but are more relevant today that are absolutely worth exploring but I think it didn't stick the landing.

The thing that I think I admire the most about RoboCop 2014 is that it does exactly what a remake should: It takes the concept of the original and then spins it in a new direction, as opposed to slavishly adhering to the original in a futile attempt to just recreate the magic.

You're right that it doesn't quite stick the landing (Kinnaman is a black hole of charisma, Bronfman's score is awful) but there's a lot more good stuff in there than I expected.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

quote:

Third Rock From the Sun (complete series, March 15)

Oh hell yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What is that ESPN/Marvel thing.

Something incredibly stupid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

Didn't they saw off the legs of the RoboCop suit to make it fit the new actor in the third one? Or was that for the somehow even worse TV movies?

They crammed Robert John Burke, who's built like a linebacker, into suits made for Peter Weller on RoboCop 3 -- that's why he looks so awkward, he's quite literally bursting out of the suit.

It was on Prime Directives that they took a hacksaw to the legs in order to make them fit Page Fletcher, who was something like 5'6". Rob Bottin had loaned suits from his personal collection to the production, and when he got them back, he was decidedly less than pleased.

Anyway, going back to RoboCop 3, while it is indeed a mess, it does have some good stuff going for it -- Burke does a really admirable job, John Castle chews scenery like nobody's business, and they got Basil Poledouris back to do the score (that alone gives it points over 2, which had Leonard Rosenman recycling the same score for like the fifth time).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

Also: Irvin Kershner just strikes me as, like, the completely wrong person to direct a RoboCop sequel.

It was originally going to be Tim Hunter, who at that point was best known for directing River's Edge.

Let that sink in.

Also, one of the things that hampered Kershner's work on RoboCop 2 was that he was stricken with a terrible case of the flu right when production started; I believe he spent much of the shoot in a wheelchair.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

I like weird stuff, so I'd be leaning towards either of the first two, but then I know Leaving Las Vegas is maybe Cage's best performance and I really need to see that already.

The Elephant Man is definitely the best but Leaving Las Vegas is incredible, too. Very soul-crushing, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldSenileGuy posted:

That actually makes me wonder if using MLB.tv's platform is part of the problem. Televised baseball is often.....static*, let's say. Which presumably would lend itself well to a variable frame rate compression algorithm since the camera is not moving or barely moving.

But apply that same frame rate to a narrative show, you're inevitably going to have some scenes where the frame rate drops and it's noticeable. Which I believe is one of the chief complaints about HBO Now.

I don't think this is the case, since WWE uses MLB.tv as the backbone for their network (both live streaming and on-demand) and the performance is rock-solid.

quote:

*static is code for "boring as poo poo"

I will fight you

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parachute posted:

Speaking of McNaughton, is The Harvest(2013) with Michael Shannon worth checking out?

I honestly thought it was decent. I kind of wonder if the guy above me is thinking of The Iceman, which was really, really, really loving bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dreadnought posted:

Did Netflix end the "Are you still watching?" prompts? Fell asleep watching a show last night, only to wake up with it still on, 10 episodes later, which kinda freaked me out. Maybe it's just certain shows?

I think it depends on the software version. We have a smart TV in the bedroom and it threw up the "are you still watching" prompt after four or five episodes of Scrubs last night.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Last night on Hulu I watched a documentary by James Franco called Saturday Night; it takes a behind-the-scenes look at the six-day production cycle of an episode of Saturday Night Live. It was a really entertaining watch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

flatluigi posted:

What are some good mystery or heist-type TV shows on US Netflix that aren't extremely dark or gritty? I'm thinking stuff like Leverage, Person of Interest, and Miss Fisher.

Last I checked, White Collar is streaming on Netflix, and it's a lot of fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lycus posted:

Breaking Bad didn't have good ratings at the start, but the critics liked it. They started climbing after it went up on streaming, I think. And they shot up during Season 5.

Vince Gilligan has said on at least one occasion that being on Netflix saved the show. And yeah, the early seasons hovered around a million viewers or so. "Felina" had more than ten million.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Rourke was working a weird vein for a while

Well, heroin is a hell of a drug.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My wife and I stumbled onto Rounders (the poker movie with Matt Damon and Edward Norton) on Netflix last night. It's pretty formulaic but Norton and especially John Malkovich are great in it; I had forgotten the latter was even in it since I hadn't seen the movie since college.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

(except the DA lady she is continually horrible).

Michelle Hurd is awful in everything she does.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

I'm going to actively avoid anything she is in from now on because she really is unbelievably bad.

She was so bad that she got sacked from Law & Order SVU, a show which has had some hilariously awful lead members of its cast survive for far longer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sleeveless posted:

Plus he uses an old drag queen trick:

They did a similar thing to Brent Spiner on Star Trek Nemesis because he had just completely let himself go in the interim after Insurrection.

It, uh, didn't help.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

What are some great action movies on Netflix?

Unforgiven is still up, last I checked, and it's a borderline crime if you've never seen it. Hot Fuzz is great, and I think The Crow went up again a few months ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

The last season's pretty good too, at least as a wrap-up for everything. So I guess that means only like 3 seasons are really poor.

The only season that I thought was really intolerable was the seventh, with all of the House / Cuddy love crap. Other weak spots were the fourth (the one with the auditions for the new team; I loving hate Kal Penn) and the fifth, which was just way too serious for its own good.

But really, for running for eight seasons, never truly going off the rails is a heck of an achievement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

User-Friendly posted:

Which is the season where you find out he was abused as a kid and R. Lee Ermy is introduced as his father? That's when I gave up on it as it was airing.

That was the second season, I think, so you gave up pretty early.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LloydDobler posted:

I have lots of respect for bands that really work hard and they fit that description perfectly.

Branching off from that, I've gotten to know Miles Nielsen (Rick Nielsen's son) pretty well over the last several years, and maybe a year or two ago when I met up with him he was looking pretty exhausted, so I asked him what was up. He said he was just following his dad's advice: "If you want to succeed, never take a day off."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I'm extremely sad that they never had Kirk, Spock and McCoy time travel to the 60s. It's such an obvious idea that would have been so obviously good, I can't believe it never happened. The couple time travel episodes they did do were so good.

That was the idea that Roddenberry pitched for Treks II, IV and V -- that the Enterprise crew went back to November 1963 to stop the Kennedy assassination, and it ended with Spock firing from the grassy knoll.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm almost finished with the first season of The Wire and it's fantastic so far. Please tell me it stays this good for the whole series.

The Wire is very much like Homicide: Life on the Street in that while it does have some occasional dips in quality, the show was still better than just about everything else on television at the time in spite of those dips. Basically, its lows are "still really loving good television" instead of "really loving amazing television," and the quality is remarkably consistent throughout.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rad Valtar posted:

So I loved Season 1 of The Wire but Season 2 is so much better. I did not see a lot of the connections coming. I just want to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

I just want to point out that while The Wire is amazing, it does get unfairly interpreted as being a depiction of all of Baltimore. It's generally focused on the Downtown and West / Southwest areas of the city, which are the more ... troublesome areas (the Southwest in particular).

It frustrates me when people think that Baltimore is a hellhole because they watched The Wire.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What did Max Landis do that made him The Worst Person Ever in the eyes of the internet? I feel like I missed a memo because he seems like he's mostly harmless

Look up his creepy obsession with Lexi Alexander.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy Mann posted:

They could have gotten a fourth season with Amazon but Fuller decided to work on American Gods instead. Just in case season 3 wasn't enough of a hint that he was getting tired of the show.

Fuller desperately wanted to do a fourth season with Amazon, but (at least the way he tells the story) Amazon picking it up was contingent upon going into production almost immediately, whereas Fuller wanted time to get the season's scripts written in advance prior to shooting -- which Amazon wasn't amenable to. So Fuller started focusing on American Gods with Starz.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drunken officeparty posted:

When did Netflix lose Serenity? I finished my twice annual Firefly watch through the other day only to find that I couldn't cap it off with the movie on netflix anymore.

Four or five months ago. Netflix has been steadily reducing its licensing spend all year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franchescanado posted:

Also, Barry Sonnenfeld is directing every episode, so who knows if it'll actually be good...Hopefully Nine Lives was so terrible because he was too busy actually working on this...

That just seems ... odd. Sonnenfeld's output as a director hit a pretty hard wall of diminishing returns after the first Men in Black.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still quite like the way they stage and frame Blofeld throughout the film.

Yeah, like Skyfall, Spectre is really well staged and directed, and the photography is great, but ye gods, that script is just an absolute mess. I don't blame Craig for being reticent to return to the role when half of his Bond movies have involved much of the thing being rewritten in the middle of filming (although, at least on Spectre, he wasn't the one doing the writing).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drunken officeparty posted:

Do any streaming services actually let you do the commentary tracks and stuff for anything?

Studios would never allow that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

The scenes in 3:10 to Yuma that feature him are infinitely more compelling than any of the Crowe/Bale scenes.

Bale is easily the weak link of the cast of the Yuma remake (though in fairness the Evans character is pretty badly written), but both Crowe and Logan Lerman cover up for him quite a bit. I have a weird affection for that movie, but then again I have a soft spot for most of Mangold's work.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I'm only a few eps in but so far it's quite a step up from season 1.

If I'm not mistaken, the first season was originally written as a four-part SyFy miniseries before Amazon picked it up, which is why there was so much awful padding. The second season definitely feels much more coherent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

It was definitely on Netflix, but I think they removed it.

The "What Should I Watch on Streaming?" Megathread: It was on Netflix, but they removed it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

du -hast posted:

Captain America: Civil War is on Netflix. I don't really like superhero movies, ie Transformers, etc, but I liked Dark Night/Deadpool.

Is it worth watching or is is some cornball crap like The Incredible Hulk?

It's a pretty boring slog, and is more Avengers 2.5 than anything else. The Russos are not good directors.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

How about the second season of Better Call Saul?

If Breaking Bad and the first season of BCS are any indication, Netflix will put the second season up a week or two before AMC begins showing the third season, which is going to be sometime in the spring.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

Superman II is the theatrical cut, right? I suppose that's the one I have nostalgia for since it was on TV multiple times when I was little, but is the Donner Cut or whatever it's called worth watching?

The Donner Cut is worth watching as an artifact of history, but it uses so much of the stuff that Lester shot, and Lester's shooting style doesn't match with Donner's editing style, resulting in a lot of it feeling off. There are also questions of just how closely Donner was involved in the production of the Donner Cut; Michael Thau, basically a Donner uber-fan who produced the project and personally did the re-editing, went back and forth on the level of Donner's involvement, and they only started saying he was personally overseeing the re-edit a few months before the DVD was released.

(It wouldn't be the first time that's happened; back when Star Trek: The Motion Picture was re-done as The Director's Edition for its DVD release, David Fein and Mike Matessino swore up and down that they were working hand-in-hand with Robert Wise and that Wise was personally re-cutting the film. Then it turned out that Wise was in terrible health, almost completely homebound, and Fein and Matessino did their re-editing job based on some vague notes Wise had hung onto from 1979 -- and they produced the special features through their own company, Sharpline Arts, so they were able to double-bill for the job.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bill Cosby: Himself is pretty drat funny

Himself is a stone-cold classic. Some of those '60s albums are amazing (Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow ... RIGHT! never fails to bring me to tears), too.