Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Danger 5 is a really funny show, and everyone should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

morestuff posted:

The Robocop remake is something I wish was just like 10% better. There's a lot of interesting grist there, but it's a big lump dramatically.

The Robocop remake made me truly appreciate how good of a screen play the original has. I'd say the opening scene was perfect, and once you get that title screen the movie falls off a huge cliff and can never climb back. I feel like there were a lot of interesting ideas that simply went nowhere. It wasn't even the changes made in the movie that bothered me those I understand it was the piss poor attempts at world building. Like I know the original movie wasn't subtle but I felt like every character in this movie had to explain as loudly as possible who they were and what they were doing. That fight with the ed 209's was awful too. Just a lot of wasted potential.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

computer parts posted:

Nope, the remake has a very clear message it's just not "Robocop is the savior of the city", it's "Robocop is the tool we need to make lots of money".

Or to be more specific: Robocop the original is "we can use Robocop as our replacement police force" whereas the remake is "we can use Robocop to justify replacing the police force".

That is not the message at all.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

computer parts posted:

That's definitely the message of the remake.

I would say those are the ideas the characters in the films have but I wouldn't say those are the messages of the films.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The wrap around segment is god awful,and I feel like that's a good 70 percent of the movie. The magician one has a really interesting concept but near the end I was just wanting it to be over with. I thought the parallel universe one was awesome and hilarious and Bonestorm was easily my favorite. It's worth watching. I would personally just skip the first half.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

They Came Together is peak David Wain. The poster is misleading, but if anyone liked Wet Hot American Summer or Stella, I can't imagine they wouldn't like this.

When Paul Rudd visits his grandma I legit could not stop laughing.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

That Works posted:

Thinking about it, Close Encounters could be a pretty ideal flick for a remake. It's still really good but a lot of the stuff in it is pretty dated now. You could add in a whole new angle of terrorism / government abuse of authority to really punch up the ultimately positive parts of the storyline.

Why the gently caress would you want to do that to Close Encounters? That sounds loving miserable.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

That Works posted:

Just more thinking that of the many films he did that one is pretty badly dated (along with ET) and while still being really good definitely suffers from lots of stuff being 70's / early 80's as hell.
But I mean terrorism and abuse of power isn't a modern idea. Why would you want to inject those themes into a modern day retelling of a movie that already exists. Why would those themes make the film any more interesting when literally every single modern alien/ disaster movie has those exact same themes already.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I remember The Dirties being pretty good too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

fliptophead posted:

I'm just watching The Den. Ice previously disregarded it because it looks like a crappy Saw derivative but it is actually kinda creepy and quite well done. It's about a lady who is doing a study on webcam sociology but takes a seriously bad turn and ends up being stalked by a serial killer/psycho who targets all her online associations. The entire thing is presented via her webcam and desktop and unfortunately my laptop was sitting right behind me and started making weird beeps during it so maybe I freaked out more than was appropriate but drat they nailed it! A good creepy psychological slasher.

Then lasy night I got must if the way through The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears after a few red wines and really want to watch it sober. Fantastic imagery of an art deco Paris. Trippy visuals, weird storyline. Really enjoyed it!

I thought The Den was merely ok. It had a couple decent little set pieces, but really not much beyond that. I actually did really like the very end though, it was a neat little twist on the voyeuristic nature of found footage movies. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you are bored on a Saturday afternoon though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Is Parallels any good? I love multiverse stories, but I have no idea about the movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

wa27 posted:

I see Netflix recently added Plan B: True. Are there any other skateboarding videos on there or is this a new thing for them?

It's the only one I can remember. I hope they start putting up more skate videos though. If we could get cheese and crackers and maybe some old ones like welcome to hell that would be cool.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Robocop was my first movie I truly remember loving, and I saw that when I was like 8. I was never able to get the image of the acid man exploding after getting hit by a van out of my head though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I watched The Roketeer lately and I found it to be a boring by the numbers movie. It's not bad, but boy is it generic. The only thing I think saves it for people is that the design on the outfit is actually really cool.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I remember in high school there were ROTC kids who would recite the drill sergeant lines as if Full Metal Jacket was a comedy, and when I actually watched the movie I was just super confused why anyone would think those lines were like these hilarious lines. How can you watch Gomer blow his brains out, and think wow that looks like fun.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

computer parts posted:

Is the full version of Metropolis the "definitive" one or is it worth seeing the other one up too?

Watch the full version because it actually has the scenes that were lost on all of the other releases of the movie. The older versions are all incomplete. Is the other one on there you are talking about the Giorgio Moroder edit? That one is worth watching, but you kind of have to take it as a novelty. He just took the movie and scored it with 80's pop songs. It's cool, but you should watch the complete version first.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It made me want Stella. I miss Stella so much.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

3 episodes in, Difficult People on Hulu is legit funny.

Just found out it's from Amy Poehler, so it makes sense why I like it.

It's just rapid fire jokes. I also give it credit for making these characters likeable. They could have turned into obnoxious so easily.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Everyone just skip Rocky horror and go to Phantom of the paradise. It's better in every way.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Franchescanado posted:

Well, O'Brian didn't write Rocky Horror in the traditional sense. He was tired and pissed off from Jesus Christ Superstar and wanted to write his own music, so he would just write different songs for fun: "Hot Patootie", "Science Fiction/ Double Feature", "Timewarp" "There's A Light", and then came up with a zany framework that would let him explore his interests: B-movies, Rock and Roll, Transvestism, Sexuality, and then re-worked the songs to fit together, then wrote more songs to add to the themes/story. It's a crazy way of writing a musical, but Rocky Horror, from it's inception, has a very rocky (heh) history. Again, it adds to my appreciation for the movie, because nothing about it should have worked, and yet it still a (rough) gem and a huge labor of love.

While it's not a perfect system, the songs you love from RHPS are most likely written before there was an idea to put them all together.

I think my real problem with Rocky Horror is that it is so front loaded. It is a blast for the first 40 minutes or so. The songs are good, it's dynamic and energetic. halfway through it just grinds to a halt and I find myself fast forwarding to get to the end.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Basebf555 posted:

White God showed up on Netflix last night.

I enjoyed it, and the work they did with the dogs was obviously impressive, but I feel like it was a missed opportunity. With all that effort put into having all those dogs on screen, and with how unique it is to have a non-animated/celebrity voiced dog as the main character, this could have been THE movie for dog lovers. Like, 30 minutes in I'm thinking this will be a great film to recommend to my parents, who are dog lovers. That all went out the window with the dog fighting scenes, throat ripping scenes, and dogs getting shot in the street scenes.

I get why that stuff is in the movie and it really is a unique film, there's nothing else like it. I think with a different tone it could have been the best "dog movie" ever though.

Are you really just sitting around waiting for the ultimate family dog movie?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I always thought that Hulu should just be free, but it would have ad's. Then you could just pay for no ads. I don't understand paying for a service to get ads and paint them more to get rid of them.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

precision posted:

OH MY GOD NOT A 15 SECOND COMMERCIAL AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SHOW

If you're paying an extra 4 bucks for their no commercial service, shouldn't that mean no comercials at all?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

morestuff posted:

I just checked, White Dog isn't on there. Been meaning to see it.

It might be on Hulu, because it is a criterion.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I personally think VHS is better as a whole VHS 2 is generally solid with one great short, and VHS viral had a couple good shorts with an awful incomprehensible wrap around.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I started watching The Flash and while it can be a little corny it is actually a pretty decent show. It's way better than Arrow. I'm glad it isn't so broody. Arrow seems like it takes itself way too seriously.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Butts are great. Being upset the movie tricked you into thinking you got to ogle a particular person's butt but it was actually a different person's butt has a gross sense of entitlement about it.

He didn't actually seem all that upset.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm watching the first episode of Jessica Jones right now, and I don't know if it's just first episode hiccups or something but man it feels like it's trying way too hard. It's like a 13 year old wrote a script about what they think noir is.

"She walks into a room with drink in hand she smashes the bottle and makes a really cool quip about how she hates her life. She is tortured but may also be good. She drinks 4 more bottles of an awesome alcoholic drink and she just doesn't get drunk!!!"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's not even close to that bad, but the voiceover narration is a little much and personally i don't like how it seems like they're sidelining the private eye stuff in favor of going straight into the Purple Man story arc,

At least True Detective season 2 has that hilarious line of Colin feral not liking to smoke e cigs because it makes him think he is sucking robot dicks.

Jessica Jones is seriously every script my friends wrote in high school after watching the Maltese Falcon.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if that works for you i guess

I didn't say it was a good line

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

alansmithee posted:

I honestly don't understand the complaints. So far Jessica Jones is better than Daredevil to me, and I really liked Daredevil. Alias was never some generic story about a private detective, so for this series to be like that would be kinda dumb. They're just doing the origin stuff first, rather than the random stuff that started off Alias.

It just seems so on the nose. Every scene she's drinking cheap alcohol and the characters always have to mention she drinks cheap alcohol, then she shows how tortured she is. Then she makes a clever quip. It seems like babies first screenplay.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

alansmithee posted:

I don't mind the narration, but the cop dude is pretty horrible. That's something I agree fully with, and although I've not quite finished it he seems kinda superfluous.

Just wondering, did you like Daredevil? Because you could say the same thing about that show. And honestly, most of the comic (from what I remember) was largely just that-her being tortured dealing with her past and drinking/fighting against being a superhero.

I don't exactly say it's perfect, but I'd recommend it without reservations. I certainly think it's better than True Detective S1 or S2 (which some other people were mentioning).

I did like Daredevil but I feel like they went about the tortured aspects in a less self serious cliche way. Not to say there were no cliches, but I feel like it was handled better and the acting was better.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

moller posted:

Everyone always forgets The Phantom of the Paradise. :mad:

Xanadu is just a mess though, despite being occasionally gorgeous.

I've said it before but phantom of the paradise is so much better than rocky horror.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah but those people would be wrong and I'd be right

Seriously though complaining about a tv show having "episodic plots" is hilarious

Yeah isn't the whole appeal of tv that you can take time to explore characters and events you wouldn't be able to explore in a film?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Has any one watched Love yet? I'm three episodes in and I really like it. I feel like they really did a good job with Paul rust's character. He is a goober, but he isn't totally hopeless.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Slandible posted:

I like it, though it is very Apatow-ish in that everyone's life is poo poo.

I'm totally fine with that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Franchescanado posted:

I watched the first two episodes and I like it. It sticks with the Apatow style, and some of the character arcs are more favorable towards guys (Rusty gets offered a three way, but Gilly gets hosed by a coke head. Um?).

Nonetheless, I appreciate the humor, Rusty and Gilly play great characters and I love their dynamic. Plus Seth Morris and Brett Gelman get supporting roles? Awesome. It's also more human and darker than I expected, both of which I enjoy. I'll be watching the rest soon enough.

Yeah but the coke head was kyle kinane so gilly is the real winner there.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love big adventure but that movie is really front loaded and I would say kind of loses steam halfway through. However it has one of my favorite gags of all time.

"I remember...the Alamo"

"Yeehaw!!"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, I think the phone booth scene was probably the best in the movie, if I'm recalling the right peewee film.

Cyndi Lauper: "Where' you calling from?"
Peewee: "Texas! Honest! Listen I'll prove it! The hills at night are big and bright-"
*holds up phone, crowd all stops and bursts into song*
"DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!" *clapclapclap*

Yeah that's a great scene too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LogisticEarth posted:

On a whim, I watched Entertainment over the weekend, and it was...something. In a good way. Greg Turkington portraying himself on tour as Neil Hamburger (a character I hadn't seen in like 10 years) trudging through a surreal Lynchian odyssey. I've seen some reviews describe it as an "anti-comedy" and it's pretty apt. Certainly are funny parts, and a sprinkling of actual Neil Hamburger standup, but that's not the core of the film.

Is it on Netflix? I've really been wanting to see this.