Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I found Honeymoon to be a decent movie, and worth watching. It is the type of movie I have Netflix for (rarely do I discover something great on Netflix that I haven't watched already by another means).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

NESguerilla posted:

I watched half of the first half of the first episode of HOC probably 5 times over the last few years. I don't know why I never get around to watching it. I'm sure I'll like it, but the premise doesn't interest me that much. One of these days though...

The acting is great, but the writing is not.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sir Nose posted:

How is Danger 5 for kids?

I discovered Danger 5, because my son was watching it. Not for young kids at all.

Medullah posted:

My problem with Season 3 is pretty much that it became typical political show (not really a spoiler but ehhh), Frank spent the first two seasons doing evil, manipulative super villain stuff that it was dull to see him dealing with ordinary president issues

I think HoC has never been a great show. It has been good enough to get by on Frank's cartoonish supervillainy, despite it clashing with the show when it tried to be realistic. Without that it is just an above average cable show. I think the show moved way too fast in season 2, and it is suffering from that now.

Jack Gladney posted:

Watch the Battlestar Galactica one and see if it does anything for you.

I just made it to the last season of BSG last week. It is a rewatch for me, but a first time watch for my wife and son. It was fun to see their faces at the end of the season 3 finale :bsg:. That said I planning to show them the Portlandia BSG once we finish the show.

Edit: To be clear watching the BSG BluRay box set.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chichevache posted:

The third V/H/S horror anthology is up. The first two were a ton of fun, both had more hits than misses in my opinion, and the "misses" were still fun little shorts that I did enjoy. I haven't watched the third yet though, so if you get a chance let me know how it is. I think it is listed as V/H/S Viral.

I loved the second VHS, mainly Gareth Evans' (The Raid director) cult segment. That said I have heard nothing good about the third one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I started the Amazon Prime trial and got into this show, I really like it so far. It's something not really explored in movies or TV shows. Does it stay pretty good throughout the series?

I guess I will give a different opinion, but I thought the show peaked in season 1 (mainly the 8th episode Sacrifice). I am currently caught up (well I haven't watched last night's episode yet), and I am 50/50 on it now (honestly I about don't care for it anymore). I just feel like it was better with a smaller scope, and now the scope is so big the stories that made the show good no longer matter. Still when they went to the Temple at Uppsala that was an amazing episode of television.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Spartacus is loving incredible. It's not as good as Rome, but it's so much more fun. Pretty much every actor is chewing scenery 24/7 and it's got enough blood sex and backstabbing to keep anyone entertained.

Rome is better, but Spartacus overall brought me a lot more joy (and laughs). It did suffer some when they left the ludus, and it just wasn't the same without Batiatus. Still it was a lot of fun.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Allyn posted:

Not sure if it's available to stream but The Guest is exactly what you're after

The Guest is one of my favorite movies from 2014. Someone described it as a cross of Halloween, Terminator, and Drive. While Drive is a stretch, you can see the influences of the other two. I loved that loving movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Synth-heavy soundtrack, lighting heavy on bright neon colors, emotionless killer protagonist... The Guest and Drive aren't super similar but I can definitely see the comparison

Yes you are correct (way to spark the Drive discussion over the last page). I just kind of went straight to the 80's influences with The Guest. I checked and The Guest is still only for rental, but I think I convinced myself to buy the bluray.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've seen mainly the big prestige series (Wire, Sopranos, Carnivale, Rome, Generation Kill, Newsroom). I'll probably take a look at Deadwood since I know that is well-loved. Treme I haven't seen but I've heard more mixed things about that. I'd be especially interested to hear if any of the HBO Latino series are actually any good

You should watch Deadwood, and there are no mixed things to say about Treme. It is just great TV if you like the way David Simon writes. Also Flight of Concords, East Bound and Down, Boardwalk Empire, Silicon Valley, Bored to Death, and pretty much 90% of all HBO shows are well worth watching.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Slackerish posted:

yes, loving watch Deadwood, you cocksucker.

On the subject of HBO is Carnivale worth watching? It sounds up my alley but I hear it ends on a cliffhanger and I don't want to invest my time in a show that doesn't end with any kind of resolution (yes, I know it was cancelled, but still)

I really liked Carnivale, and it has what might be the creepiest episode, Babylon, I've ever watched on TV. My biggest issue with the show was pacing (season 1 too slow, season 2 too fast), but I watched it when it originally aired on HBO. Not only might my memory might be hazy, but binge watching a show now a days can change pacing issues. Yes it did end on sort of a cliffhanger, but there was some small form of resolution in season 2. If I remember correctly it was suppose to be 6 seasons, and with 3 main arcs (each covering 2 seasons). Also there is a 60+ page pitch document written by Knauf that really goes into the mythology (my suggestion is read it after you watch the show, not before). Knauf was planning to do a comic or book series to finish the show, but according to him HBO has prevented this from happening.

The only worse HBO cancellation I can think of is Deadwood.

Link to this amazing pitch document (but only read if you watched the show or you don't plan to).

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.harvardwood.org/resource/resmgr/hwp-pdfs/carnivale_pitch_document.pdf

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

magnificent7 posted:

JFK was so many levels of batshit insane fun.

And Platoon was incredible.

My Oliver Stone movies (director wise) worth seeing:

Platoon - I remember seeing this in theater, and some guy getting up to go to the lobby for the rest of the movie. My parents found out later in the lobby that the guy was a Vietnam Vet, and the movie hit way too close to home. It is not only Stone's best, but one of the greatest war movies ever.
Wall Street
NBK
JFK
Talk Radio
Born on the 4th July (my thought at the time was wow I guess Tom Cruise can act)
Any Given Sunday
The Doors (not great but worth watching if you like the group and read the book No One Here Gets Out Alive)

I also found W to be decent. Other ones like U-Turn and Savages are movies that are just fine playing in the background while you do something else.

LogisticEarth posted:

Also watched They Came Together. Netflix called it a "semi" parody of rom-coms but there is nothing "semi" about it. Funny, wacky, absurd. My wife and I had had a few glasses of wine before watching it so it was probably funnier than it really is. But if you're looking for a stupid comedy for a date or a lazy evening it's a solid bet.

My wife and I also watched it this weekend. While I prefer absurd humor, I found most of the movie almost as bland as a normal rom-com. While I found certain parts absurd and very funny (mainly his visit to her parents house, and the visit to his grandmother), the rest was never that fun to me. I think the tone of the movie never felt quite right to me. Shame I really wanted to like it.

So the same guy who did this, did American Hot Summer? I haven't seen it, but is it more a satire or parody or just absurd (like Eastbound & Down for example)? I was wondering if it would be something I like (some of the comedies I like are Parks & Rec, Eastbound & Down, early Office, Silicon Valley, Community)

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 28, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

morestuff posted:

Hulu also grabbed exclusive rights to "future" AMC content, so stuff like that new Walking Dead spinoff and their next dozen flailing dramas that try to recapture the magic of Mad Men and Breaking Bad

Only thing that interest me post Mad Men on AMC is the Preacher adaption, but they will screw it up.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Here are some to watch. I got tired of deleting the length after each movie so you get to put up with that after a lot of the movies:

The Great Beauty (2:21:09)

Been wanting to see La Grande Bellezza for awhile. I guess I will finally do a Hulu trial membership.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I liked that movie too and was kind of surprised at the poor critical reception it got.

I liked it too, but It really works better pretending that the main character is Laura Croft instead of a straight up horror movie. Seriously at the end I was like this should have been a Tomb Raider movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

That Works posted:

Not being a dick but what would a couple of those shows be? Curious because I'd like to check some out if I haven't already.

The Wire, Wiseguy from the 80's, and that is about all I can think of off the top of my head (unless you count Treme as a cop show). I haven't watch The Shield so no comment. All subjective, but any way you slice it season 1 of True Detective is pretty well respected even if you didn't love it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 20, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I would totally put Banshee forth as better than True Detective, but it's kinda splitting hairs because it's not THAT much better and they scratch very very different itches.

I am on episode 6 season 2 of Banshee, and I love it. That said why would you even mention it with True Detective? They are completely different shows, doing completely different things.

I've been recommending Banshee to all my friends that think SoA was good show. Banshee is pure pulpy fun with real violence and sex, unlike SoA. Only other show I can think of that does pulpy fun that good is Spartacus or maybe True Blood in it's prime (what an awful show did that become).

LloydDobler posted:

You should watch the Shield. It's streaming free on amazon prime if you have it.

I do, and put it on my list. About time I did.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Watched Cheap Thrills last night (Amazon Prime), and what a fun stupid ride. I give it a solid B.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife and I watched the first 7 episodes of Halt and Catch Fire yesterday (don't judge it was raining, and we spent the previous day hiking in the Smokies). I had no real expectations, but I really enjoyed it. It might be the best thing AMC has done outside of Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Perfect timing with season 2 starting.

forever whatever posted:

I had been putting it off for a long time but I finally got around to watching the first couple of seasons of The Americans on Prime and although there's an element of campiness to it and a lot of implausible poo poo goes down, hey, it's an FX show and I'm able to suspend my disbelief. Found this espionage/family drama to be increasingly engaging as it went on. It taking place in the early eighties, I think that they did an excellent job across the board with the wardrobe and the soundtrack is awesome. The acting is pretty great across the board and Keri Russell (of Felicity fame lol) is sexy as hell for what it's worth.

I found that the first season was a little uneven but it actually improves in season 2. I'd say that from what I've seen it's more consistent than my other favorite espionage-centric show, Homeland.

This is next of my list once I finish Halt and Catch Fire.

I miss good Homeland.

Homeland is a show that just busted it's nut way too soon. Any mystery to Brody was over in season 1, and by the start of season 2 he was a freakin senator. Still I thought the last season of Homeland was it's best since season 1. I no longer have Showtime, but after the next season airs I will get Showtime for a month to watch the new season (and to catch up on the superior Masters of Sex).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After moving out I discovered my former female roommate's sex VHS tape (I didn't realize this until I hit play), and all I can remember about it is that awful 4 Non Blondes song playing in the background as she blows some guy with a small dick. I am pretty sure she put it in my stuff on purpose (she was a super freak).

Now every time I hear "hey, what's going on?" that visual comes back like a bad acid flashback (the color is all grey and dirty looking, like it was a Soderbergh film shot with a filter).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 10, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Seconding. Also has Terence Stamp and Jason Jones as anti-buddy cops.

I read that as Terence Stamp and January Jones as anti-buddy cops. I was like how did I miss that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

morestuff posted:

July's a little bit of a slow month.

7/25/15
The Guest (2014)

The Guest, while it is not the best movie of 2014, it might be my favorite of 2014. I loved everything about it.

precision posted:

Unfortunately...

I've been in Greeneville TN visiting my fiance's parents for a while. I'll save you a Google: it's the whitest, shittiest town possible while also being adjacent to two towns that actually have things in them (Knoxville and Asheville). Both are about an hour away.

I grew up in Jonesborough and Johnson City (which both are in the next county over), but I currently reside in Knoxville. Greeneville is a pretty lovely town, but there are worse in that area (see Morristown). That said you should make it to Johnson City, which is pretty a decent small college town (I graduated from ETSU). Mad Max is still on there, and they have one of the best rock clubs in the region (better than anything in Knoxville right now metal wise), The Hideway.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

A MIRACLE posted:

RIP Jon Haas

I have lived in Knoxville since 2004, and had no idea who this dude was. Just read an article about his death, and he sounded like one cool guy that lived life to the fullest. That said I actually thought Fort Sanders Yacht Club was some yuppie place (Yelp just informed me I was very wrong). I mostly hang out in Market Square (Preservation Pub), or Old City (Barleys and The Pilot Light), but I guess I need to visit the Yacht Club soon.

Sorry for derail.

I had no idea there was a sequel to Monsters, but I see Gareth didn't direct it and the reviews are pretty terrible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Mulholland drive and gone girl are up on HBO go now.

I am not watching Mulholland Drive again until it is the long fabled Criterion Edition.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

A lot of goons had hosed up childhoods and watched stuff like Alien at age 8 and think that's normal and healthy.

Back in the 80's when we got cable my parents told my brother and me. "Come on kids let's watch a movie about summer camp on one of these new pay movie channels". Of course that movie turned out to be the first Friday the 13th. This was not the first or last time my parents did this.

Thanks Mom and Dad (I still can't sleep with open curtains because of watching Salem's Lot at 6).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
On Amazon Prime I watched Coherence last weekend, and what a nice surprise of a movie. There is nothing like let's try this movie I never heard about (I'm sure it's been discussed, but I missed it), and you end up liking it. It's like a 90 minute Twilight Zone episode. Just curious about the ending, did anyone take that the phone call the boyfriend received at the end was from her at the beginning of the movie? Or was it was her other self that she tried to call in the bathroom? I took that it was from her at the start of the movie, because after the drugging from behind and the beating, I'm not sure the other her knew what was going on at all..

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

axleblaze posted:

I really like the last act of The Guest :(

Me too. There is pretty much nothing I would change about The Guest.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Basebf555 posted:

That's also two really good performances now by Maika Monroe, I just saw It Follows recently as well.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just watched The Guest, which was fantastic. I didn't even realize until looking it up on IMDB afterwards that David was Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey :aaa:

I am looking forward to seeing both of them in more things. I just hope Maika stays smart about the roles she accepts, because that girl has a future. I know she is the lead (President Whitmore's daughter all grown up) in the new Independence Day movie, but I'm not sure if Emmerich can recapture the magic.

Random fact: Maika Monroe is a professional kiteboarder too.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 29, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Guest is not very John Carpenter, outside of the soundtrack.

I would say at the least it is influenced by Halloween and the Terminator (especially the last 3rd. I would call it more a tribute. How many more pumpkins do you have to see?

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched The Guest.

gently caress sakes what a goddamn lovely movie.

The Guest is my new litmus test if I trust a person's opinion on a genre movie. lovely movie? I know all subjective, but I will not ask you for any recommendations.

In your defense you are not the first one to mention Drive and The Guest together. I've seen several critics do it too. Outside of the extremes the lead character will go and the fact the soundtrack is so in your face at times, they shouldn't be compared.

Also Kuddles is correct. If you call Lance Reddick the "the black guy from Lost" instead of Lt. Daniels, you've lost already.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Franchescanado posted:

My father was a marine and had me watch one of his favorite movies, Full Metal Jacket, when I was about 8-10. I was, obviously, horrified, and it completely turned me off from ever joining the military, supporting war, or making heroes out of troops because they chose to be troops.

I don't see how someone can watch that movie and walk away thinking it's pro-war, pro-military, or anything even close to that. It's insane.

I can understand someone watching The Guest and thinking "being military is cool, I'd be like a superhero'. But watching FMJ and signing up for the military is insane.

I worked with a large amount of prior military, got to know a lot of great guys, but it's insane how many laugh about gunning down groups of people for the hell of it.

I watched Full Metal Jacket before I even thought about being a Marine, and many times during the 4 months I had to wait to go to Parris Island. I pretty much still laugh my rear end off watching the boot camp section of the movie. I went in the Marines for many reason, but to be clear people don't join the Marines to be a hero. It is filled with misfits who are just looking to belong to something, and what they find is what might be the greatest brotherhood ever in the Marines. Also to be clear on your one comment, Marines hate it when assholes (who usually are right wingers who never served) make anyone who joined the military into a hero just as much as we hate assholes who are anti-military.

Also who in the hell would ever think The Guest was pro-military or making a statement on anything? It was just fun bubble gum. Yes let's join the military so I can be like Michael Myers.

That said going by 80's movies, Platoon did a better job of being anti-war than Full Metal Jacket. Honestly I found the 'in country' parts of FMJ paled in comparison to what Platoon did. I am social liberal, and I am pretty much anti-war. Movies like Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Gardens of Stone, etc. did influence my feelings on war, but a bigger influence was books like The Naked and the Dead, Johnny Got His Gun, and All Quiet on the Western Front.

Edit: Also my son has watched FMJ a couple of times (he laughs also), and we just visited Parris Island last month (my first time since boot camp). He has zero plans to go into the military (he is 15), because we have taught him not to go, not because of a movie or book.

Edit: I just read your last comment, and while everything has it's bad seeds, I have never experienced that. Most Marine attitudes are gently caress War or gently caress the Suck. You either are wrong or are you hanging out with a bunch of psychos. Your statement I find pretty much stereotyping.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 31, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's fine if people enjoy it and can turn off their brain, and have their belief suspended, but after the third or fourth what the gently caress moment, I checked out. I'm not a veteran, but many veterans felt the same way. People should know going in that the movie is in no way a realistic portrayal of anything. Literally everything done in the movie would never, ever happen.

Well I am an veteran, but not Army (Marines), and I thought the movie was pretty good.

But yes her last good movie was Point Break despite her winning best director, and the movie was a giant clusterfuck despite winning 6 Oscars. Please God let me have a clusterfuck like this once in my life.

Also to this day my favorite movie of hers is still Near Dark.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

axleblaze posted:

Overnight is on Youtube and yeah, it's really good and the most schadenfreude film there is.

I read this as The Overnight. Crap I really want to see The Overnight.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just noticed Slow West is free on Amazon Prime. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but a western + Fassbender is right up my alley.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Zombi 2 aka Zombie / Dawn of the Dead (original)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you have a chance, watch Purple Rain with an audience. It completely changes the movie when you have a group of people who are really into it.

I actually did watch it with an audience in 1984.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What in the world was that like?

It was actually pretty cool at the time, but I was in 7th grade.

The first VHS movies my family ever rented was Purple Rain and Dawn of the Dead. I remember my grandmother watching Purple Rain, and the first time the 'F' word was dropped, she looked at me and said, 'What is this world coming to?'. She gets up and doesn't come back. I want to say this was Thanksgiving 1985.

80's fun fact we rented the VCR too until they went down in price.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 14, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The Mist is great, but I prefer the novella. It just makes the prefect 100 page story.

Chichevache posted:

It is also very cool to see a culture you aren't normally exposed to. I know gently caress all about the Maori, so I really liked seeing a rather unique martial history. This movie is kind of what I hoped for from Apocalypto (which is cool in different ways, I guess).

I loved Apocalypto, and I think it gets a bad rap due Mel Gibson getting outed as a loony. Shame, because I thought he was becoming quite an interesting director.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

coyo7e posted:

Wow, a videogame drew inspiration from some insipid movie based on a mediocre story by a mediocre author. I'm impressed now.

I am unsure if you are trolling (check those dates), or you are just wrong, but whatever. King is quite the excellent author when it comes to genre fiction. King will be taught in schools* long after we are all dead.

*Already is, my American Lit class in college used his great short story 'Last Rung on the Ladder'.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

The original Dragnet series. Just the facts!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Namirsolo posted:

I feel the same way about their movie selection, but at least they have a pretty big selection of tv shows that I still want to watch like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Comedy Bang Bang! and assorted British shows like Call the Midwife and Broadchurch. I don't know what I'll do once I've seen all of those though.

I think I only watch a total of maybe 6 movies a year on Netflix, and most of those are indie movies or horror movies. I stick around for the TV shows, and the fact my kids are so use to having Netflix it would break their minds not to have it.

I also have Amazon Prime and Hulu with Showtime added. So between them all the movies are decent, but each service by itself not so much.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

It used to be on US Netflix, if it's gone that's a real shame. It's like Noah in that it's a completely unnecessary and weird movie that is still also super entertaining.

Apocalypto is really good (I think Gibson did a great job directing it), unlike Noah which is Aronofsky's worst move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Patrick Wilson talk? The guy is one of my favorite actors, and I am not sure why. I know he is no Christian Bale or Daniel Day Lewis, but for some reason he just plays a pefect average guy. Also when talking about good movies with him in it, you forgot to mention the amazing Little Children.

Lurdiak posted:

I think a lot of people have a bad impression of her from the Spider-man films but it's clear to me now that that was mainly a directing/script issue.

I thought she was ok in the Spiderman movies, and I always took her as a good actor (she was an amazing child actor in Interview With a Vampire and even ER). I think it was more her lack of good movie choices since the Spider-man movies. Also I know that Lady Gaga's Golden Globe nod was all the talk, but it would be crime if Kirsten Dunst doesn't win that category. She has been amazing this season.

So yes go watch Fargo. Both seasons are amazing.