Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

kith_groupie posted:

I sort of like the library. Not all brutalism is bad, to be fair, it's just very, very difficult to execute.

This is the auditorium at the Technical University of Delft. It fits into the environment well I think and isn't overwhelming imposing. I think it works there though cause the campus is just a whole bunch of different styles.

That is a bulbasaur

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here are some of my "favourite" buildings I've encountered in my time on the planet:

Deutsche Oper, Berlin (1961)—opera house, nick name: "Sing Sing":

Gran Hotel, Arecife (1965)—a giant eyesore of a hotel, more than three times as tall as the next tallest building in the whole of Lanzarote, it's visible from literally the other end of the island. Refurbished in teal glass after a fire. I'll give'em this though: The view from the excellent restaurant on the top floor is amazing, and does not include the Gran Hotel!

UCL Institute of Education, London (1975)

Front:

Back:

Alexa Shopping Mall, Berlin (2007)—a pink blight on the city

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

netally posted:

And here's a Brutalist favourite of mine; the Alexandra Road Estate. Perfect for filming a 70s scifi movie:

Hah! That was used as a location in the last series of Prime Suspect.

City Nord, Hamburg. Used to house the postal service.

National Library, Buenos Aires:

Here's the Czech embassy in Berlin (affectionately nicknamed "The UFO of Prague")

This abomination is built into the center of a beautiful centuries-old picturesque and quaint old town, in Waiblingen, near Stuttgart:

Russian embassy, Havana:

Ratingen City Hall:

Nominated for best tower: Salvo Palace, Uruguay:

A hotel in Hanover:

This is in Madrid:

The Munich Schwabylon—a mall, thankfully torn down since. But that building behind it is just to die for as well!

The Okura Prestige Hotel, Bangkok, aka the high as gently caress bird-fish-cat

Ferrohaus, Zurich—I think it's some kind of clinic?

The International Congress Centre in Berlin, probably the most expensive single building in the city. Nicknamed "Noah's Ark" or "Panzerkreuzer Charlottenburg" (Panzerkreuzer = Battleship, Charlottenburg = the district it sits in). Bonus: It's completely rotten and needs to be torn down, but nobody has managed to come up with a decent plan for that yet.

Dortmund Technical University:

Jardine House, Hong Kong. A cheese grater!

Deutsche Bahn, Frankfurt:

This building is in Minsk, Belarus. It looks like it's made of moldy neapolitan ice cream.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 10, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Penn Jillette's house in Las Vegas is ...special. It's jumble of random poo poo just dumped in the middle of the desert with a lovely fence around it:

Scenic!

They keep adding poo poo to it, too. The front looks like a prison, and the back looks like... well. You know those books that carpet salespeople have, with little squares of the different kinds of carpet in them to browse? Imagine an architect had a book like that for all the different styles of houses they could build, and they took it to a client, and the client said "I love it! We'll go with that!", and the architect was like, "Wait which one are you talking about" and the client said "Uhm, the whole book!!?"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
"So Mr Jillette, what kind of house would you like"

"Just gently caress me up

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ruebennase posted:

Here's a few more highlights from Berlin:

The "Haus der Kulturen der Welt" ("House of World Cultures"). As seen in Aeon Flux and several other Sci-Fi films.

Built in the late 50s, the roof collapsed in 1980. The collapse was originally blamed on sonic booms from Soviet jets repeatedly buzzing the nearby parliament (seriously), but was eventually ruled to have been caused by bad planning and shoddy construction work. It took almost 30 years to be rebuilt.

The Gedächtniskirche (Memorial Church). Destroyed in WW2, it was decided not to rebuild it but instead leave it (as, you guessed it, a memorial) and build an ugly boxy concrete church thing around it instead:

Since we love to give our buildings stupid nicknames, these are affectionally called "The Pregnant Oyster" (Haus der Kulturen der Welt), "The Hollow Tooth" (old, bombed-out part of the church), and, my favourite, "Jesus Bunker"

edit: It may not come as a surprise that the plaza around the church is one of Berlin's drug hotspots.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 14, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
^^ I think he meant getting as in purchasing

Some of these buildings are so bad, they could be cases for the European Court of Human Rights!!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

As far as I remember, that thing in the middle was originally supposed to move.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Default Settings posted:

Architect being all "lol, gently caress you, Fachwerk!"

Fuckwork

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

88h88 posted:

That is a perky building titty.

Suckling from the teat of the Catholic Church, I'm milking this for all it's worth.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
A friend and I chatted up two punk girls on the benches in front of the Dom and smoked it up under a bridge somewhere with them :D That's my Stephansdom story!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Neutrino posted:

Der Atowohnhaus ist kühl, ja?

That just screams Switzerland

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

flosofl posted:

I would think the "sounds like a giant reverberating snare drum" would be the main reason it wouldn't last long if it rains often.

I'll have you know I've spent a non-trivial amount of time in synthesizers trying to achieve that sound.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
TO LET

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I thought that building was the "Elephant and Castle"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

This looks like the architect got the idea when a gummy bear fell out of his mouth and face first onto a shiny surface

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Is this the one where every time it snows they have to close the sidewalk because of the slanted roof over the entrance?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Looks like a hungry hungry hippo.

Here's a sumo wrestler building

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Pallets are different from palettes are different from palates guys let's get it together.

Also I want to live in the Cathedral of Learning forever and ever.

There are also pellets!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Xlorp posted:

For a proper palate cleansing, have a pullet surprise!

I wish it weren't so deeply red, now it sounds stupid when I say "wow that looks pallid"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well you're gonna get dementia and Alzheimer's patients if you're gonna specialize in gehryatrics

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

Random poo poo.

You weren't loving kidding.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

IPCRESS posted:

Why is art deco making an appearance in a thread for mocking awful architecture?

Initially, as a counterpoint.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

anyone link penn jilette's house

Yeah check my posts in this thread

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

See a doctor.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

The Skeleton King posted:

I guess you guys are right. Still, it doesn't excuse poo poo like what Gerhy does.

Is it a deliberate act of disrespect that the h in his name keeps jumping around in your posts but never lands where it should?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Somehow I can't deal with you guys still using feet and inches, it sounds just so ridiculous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

This is the cause for the bad yield on the 5.5 x 10-7 inch node.

No you gotta express it in fractions (they're so much more intuitive!)

• Locked thread