Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

bye chargers

Sorry for you but good on San Diego for being the only city to tell an owner to go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tank44 posted:

Sorry, see Seattle numerous times over the past decade

The only city with a sitting team? I don't remember if there was a vote before the Sonics moved.

Oakland is doing it too anyway I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

Whatever they're calling the field at SDSU now is probably big enough to handle whatever tiny crowds the Chargers are able to muster nowadays.

I'd imagine so.

Since SDSU plays at Qualcomm as far as I know.

e: USD has a 6000 seat stadium which might be a touch small, maybe.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 10, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm still hoping some billionaire sugar daddy wants to make Oakland great again and wipe and re-build the Coliseum just for the Raiders.

I think the A's are mega-hosed though and need to move to Portland or something. I say this as an A's fan for a zillion years (went to a game in 1974). :corsair:

The A's just lost their small market designation in the new baseball CBA too, meaning they won't get revenue sharing cash anymore after it's phased out for them in 4 years. Kinda makes me think either they're going to get some muscle from MLB for building a new place or they're just screwed, I have no idea which.

The Raiders moving is probably a good thing for them, one less wrench in things if they actually manage to put a reasonable plan together somehow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Since I never look at hockey threads before the playoffs what's up with the Golden Knights maybe getting sued by the Army? I mean I know about the parachute team and all but is there a chance they actually have to change names?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's hard for me to imagine Spanos making any deal where he's on equal footing (or less in Kroenke's case) with whoever he's dealing with. Everything we know about the man is just so amazingly petty.

I mean I'm sure it's happened at some point, I just can't imagine it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Konstantin posted:

St. Louis is a cautionary tale, as they built a new stadium to attract the Rams, and that only bought them 25 years. It seems the NFL expects a new stadium or major renovation every 25-30 years, otherwise the team may be moved.

This part didn't help the Rams either, there was a new stadium on the table (which wasn't publicly voted on and would have been a disaster) but Kroenke didn't give a poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bawfuls posted:

I have never been to an NFL game, should I go to the pathetic last gasp of the Chargers next weekend?

Become a SDSU fan, it'll probably be more fun to watch one of their games next year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Pretty sure the Raiders would stay in Oakland while the Vegas stadium is being built. Sam Boyd isn't up to nfl specifications

And the place the Chargers are reportedly looking at does?

Hell I don't know, maybe it does, it's a lot newer. It's just so tiny.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Sam Boyd seats like 20k

I see 35k normally and expandable to 40. The really tiny place is the one Spanos floated for the Chargers as an option.

The Coliseum is only going to allow one NFL team to play there aren't they? I assume that's still true or they wouldn't be trying to sell people on that soccer stadium.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

John Brown posted:

I left off in this thread too many pages ago.

What's the latest update with the Chargers and Raiders?

No definitive update but that'll probably happen next week. The expectation is that the Raiders will ultimately end up in Vegas, where they'll play until that stadium is built is up in the air between O.Co and UNLV's little stadium. San Diego is expected to end up in LA, they have nowhere to play in the interim though other than an MLS stadium or a completely empty Qualcomm.

The lesson seems to be if you're going to move an NFL team do it like the Davis family.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

I guess Dean has been a real dick about this whole thing then.

What...Dean Spanos? Noooo, I don't believe it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I put the odds of Goodell forcing anyone to sell at about zero. Maybe if there's a big racist thing like Donald Sterling, but I doubt it even in that case.

If the other owners feel like we do about Spanos I could see him making life as difficult as possible for him other than that though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

BREAKING NEWS

The Chargers deadline has been extended from Sunday the 15th to Tuesday the 17th

What is the point?

Like is there a team of owners trying to shame Spanos into taking that $1 a year lease deal or something?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

lol if you think there's a corpse in that sarcophagus

Well, corpse, undead thing waiting to awake, whatever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

Isn't the relocation costing Spanos and co as much as building the stadium they wanted and Spanos is just being a pisspants taking his ball and going home out of some stupid stand?

As I understood it, Spanos had to put in 650 mill for a stadium and the city would top up the rest and he thought it was too much so he decided to move which is costing 650 mill?

From what I gather the idea is the franchise will gain worth just from being in Los Angeles, so moving makes it worth giving up all of that money. Whether that's true or not I have no real idea.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zurreco posted:

How short is the list of NFL owners that are not morons or huge pieces of poo poo? Arthur Blank and Paul Allen?

Clark Hunt seems fine I guess? Mark Davis is a weird guy and a fashion moron for sure, but seems more or less ok unless you're just really angry at him for moving the team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Watching the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl (the least of the Senior Bowl type things I believe) and it's at Stubhub. The announcers just made fun of the Chargers playing there in the future.

"Yeah I came out on the field earlier this week to watch practice and I was like Okay, we're going to do this? I guess?"

"They say it's supposed to expand to 30000+ for the Chargers, where those seats are going to go I have no idea. Somewhere over in the corner maybe?"

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Kind of funny. One of these owners forbids the team to employ domestic abuse players and the other doesn't care.

Sure, let me roll my eyes after complimenting your bowl-cut PF Chang owner.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Makes you want to choke a pregnant woman, doesn't it?

Good luck with Mixon!

If we're being honest I think the odds of the Chiefs selecting Mixon are about 0 since they took their shot on an idiot and won (perhaps more importantly since they can get by at the position), also I think the odds of the Raiders being interested in Hill if he were cut tomorrow are 100 given proven on the field goodness and Davis's hands off approach to football people making football decisions.

Also I'd like to note that I am not Parm.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

I mean, Davis has come out and publicly stated the policy(to shoot down rumors the Raiders were interested in Greg Hardy when that all went down), and Big Reg echoed it. This isn't a secret.

Is your intention here to wipe out the old school Raiders because of new ownership? I kind of don't care, although I hate Bill Romanowski as much as anyone. We can add any amount of other examples you'd like.

Let's just say it's going to take a little more than Mark Davis saying something without doing anything other not than signing a team cancer/legitimately crazy dude to get rid of the old school stigma, along with me not really giving too much of a poo poo and...let's just say I'm dubious about how much you care.

e: Not, not was an important thing in that bad sentence.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bacon Taco posted:

Dammit, actual facts are causing me to wonder if I should stop reflexively hating Mark Davis and the Raiders. gently caress.

Well for one thing the murder of Biletnikoff's daughter in 1999 apparently wasn't enough to make the team vet Tom Cable before hiring him. Or enough to make them check out any violent tendencies after he punched out an assistant coach. I mean that or they didn't care, since it wasn't 'personal.'

To be fair Al Davis cited domestic violence as going into his decision to fire Cable, after employing him for four years. I'm sure it just took them a year and a half to figure it out after Outside the Lines did the footwork on finding out that he'd abused at least two women (and one coach's jaw). Performance and Al wanting to win another championship before he died had nothing to do with it.

e: I'm generally fine with the Davis family, but that's Warcrimes citing some Raiders PR work for them.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TBeats posted:

Nothing to lose your head over, dude.

Haha, holy poo poo that red text. For the record it wasn't me, I was just manufacturing a reason to post that Bill Murray thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is the first I've heard of aselson wanting a chunk of the team. That's been a non starter on pretty much all the other offers, don't know why he thought he'd be successful.

I hadn't heard that either but Davis is one of the weaker owners from a purely financial standpoint, so I can see Adelson thinking he could bully his way into owning a large chunk of the team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oakland having no plan seems like it's not news.

Other than maybe the Ronnie Lott group that I guess wanted Mark Davis to sell a majority to them (which was always basically dead in the water if there was any truth to that) was there anything even slightly workable in Oakland? Well...workable on the give me free money level which teams operate on at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

They're not? Are they going to keep playing with Mount Davis in the outfield?

I don't know if they'll manage to get anything done, but my impression is Oakland has been at least willing to work with them as opposed to the Raiders.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Clayton Kershaw is a dodger tho

This post seems out of character for you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

(because the Giants are contractually obligated to face him once every time they play the Dodgers)

Which is why I would have expected a Madison Bumgarner playoff comparison or something instead.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The only question I could even have imagined throwing a wrench into the Raiders in Vegas with the deal on the table is the utter bullshit idea that the NFL doesn't like gambling.

So yeah, there was basically no doubt it was happening.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alaois posted:

look what you fucks did, you got Leperflesh all over the goddamn thread, do you know how hard that poo poo is to clean off

I miss his ...traps... avatar.

And now I want to figure out what's happened with dwarf fortress over the last 3 years or so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I know why it didn't happen, but 30-1 with one abstaining vote would have been the ultimate Al Davis tribute.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I wonder what makes you register a domain on Christmas day?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

No California football team (Niners, Chargers, Raiders, Rams) will play in the same stadium in 2020 that it played in in 2010.

How bad was Candlestick out of curiosty? I know it wasn't O.Co bad but I was under the impression it actually was a pretty bad stadium at the end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Whoever has a good SDSU player really, not that I blame you (he's real good).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No matter how bad this was I can't make fun of it because my baseball team had a rally praying mantis last season.

It...didn't work. Well it kinda worked, but not enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Baseball is bad because the latest CBA actively encourages the most interesting/possibly best player in the world not bother to try to play in MLB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

There is nothing that compares to an nhl game live. The NFL is a sport to watch on TV. Hockey is non stop action. Nothing the NFL does can compare

Seriously, I obviously love the NFL but for something to watch live at the event there's no comparison. Football is probably better on TV overall since you can easily make a snack/get a drink/whatever during any of the breaks.

The NBA is probably a pretty good thing to go to as well but I never have.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

In hockey the game is still GOING pretty much constantly, while baseball is pretty boring to follow

Baseball and hockey are on the opposite ends of the sports spectrum. If we're comparing going to an early season NHL game compared to a May baseball game I'd probably choose baseball, just because it's outside and the weather is (probably) nice. But even when the stakes are high it's a completely different experience. NHL playoffs are constant edge of your seat 'oh poo poo' moments, MLB playoffs are a slow fuse of very tense moments. They're both awesome, just in completely different ways.

And I hate to say it but I'd choose going to a playoff game for either of those sports before going to an NFL playoff game if my team wasn't involved.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Let's all just agree the best sport is basketball and move on.

When you set yourself up for the KU jokes to this degree it's just not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just indicate interest and I'm sure Qatar will ramp up the slave trade and finish a world cup stadium early for you.

• Locked thread