Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Is the original still decent or is the dual core pretty much needed for any serious user? I'm debating a new one but the fire sales on the old one could be pretty tempting

Honestly no one will really know till the new one comes out and apps start to use the power.

With that said the first one has served me well and I'm sure it will continue to do so for another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Any reports about how actually waterproof the new watch is? I swim a lot and honestly if a watch says "50m water resistance" the most ill do is accidentally get it wet in the sink. Usually swimming laps for an hour + hot tub + shower will quickly wreck a 50m resistance. True divers is where it's at.

I honestly don't believe this to be true. I've had a few 50m watches over the years and I've never had an issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Watch os3 seems to have my series 0 a little snappier. I also like they fixed the workouts so everything is on one screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is everyone's move goal set to? Mine just ticked up to 570 this week and I think the highest its ever been is like 650 or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

housefly posted:

940 and I usually blow that out of the water by at least 25%.

drat I guess I need to step up my game...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I think that's more of an indictment of how easy the PROTECTOR is to scratch/mar.

Pretty much this. I've beat my watch to poo poo over the past 15 months and while it does have some scratches they really aren't noticeable

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Ah I didn't even think of that. Good call. What kind of glass does the screen on these even use? Makes me wonder if I'd be fine without one now.

You'd be fine without one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Story of my life.

I think so too but you'll be hearing from my lawyer if it so much as gets a smudge.

This is what mine looks like after the 15 months which includes lots of gym time and honestly not even being careful with it. I've honestly run into things and not even thought about it.

Also only recently did I start a job that I spend most of my time inside prior to this I had a very active job outside.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

I just looked and couldn't find one. Try removing poo poo from the dock. I think those apps run constantly. You can also disable background refresh for apps you don't think need it.

Where did you disable app refreshes on the watch? I couldn't find that option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just use weather underground. It seems pretty accurate.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

milkaxor posted:

I can't seem to discover the answer to this. Likely because it hasn't really happened. Since your phone can support multiple watches, do the activity rings sync up between the two?

I have a s0 SS watch and am getting an aluminum s2. I'm considering keeping the SS one for fancier dress and having the aluminum as my daily wearer.

That's a good question! I had no idea you could have multiple watches.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing I don't like with WatchOS3 is that its not as easy to dismiss the notifications when they pop up. You have to scroll a bit for the dismiss button to pop up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Force touch and clear all appears

Does it clear all of them off the phone as well? I assume so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My s0 is at 90% after 6 hours.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bilperkins2 posted:

What's a good second charger cable, so I can have one for the office and one for at home? There's a lot on Amazon but on many it's not clear if they actually have a charger in them or if they're just a stand. Plus the Apple one is $40, is that just what I have to spend to get a second one?

From what I know there aren't any third party charging cables. That may have changed but I don't think it has.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I only just now realized I can swipe down to dismiss a new notifcation, as opposed to scrolling down to find the dismiss button :v:

Wait you can?? I had no idea.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Bluetooth range for an iPhone 6S to Watch S2 is really, really good. I left my watch in my 3rd floor hotel room, went down to the pool on the 1st floor, got messages the whole time. Obviously a little bit of mileage will vary, but I didn't expect it to cut through near that much.

Were you connected to the Hotel Wifi?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I will say that depending on price it could be a good purchase. I only use my watch for notifications and doing stuff via siri, which the S0 is perfectly capable of doing. The rare times I use an app are great with OS 3. I'm not entirely sure what I would need a faster watch for, actually.

I've had the original (S0) since shortly after launch and when the new ones were announced, I bought another S0 for my wife because they were so cheap and frankly I don't see the benefit in a faster one. Maybe apple can figure out new uses down the road for which you'll need an S1, but for now I can't imagine that you're missing out on anything with an S0. (And if you need GPS and waterproofing then get the S2, obviously)

Yeah what this guy said. I've had my S0 since launch as well and if you find it cheap enough it would be a decent purchase. Nothing in the S1 or S2 was compelling enough for me to upgrade.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Depths posted:

How the gently caress did the update improve the battery life this much? Only 13% spent after 8 hours at uni

Seems about the same for my on my S0. I'm not complaining though.

Also holy poo poo do the watch updates take forever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

robodex posted:

With all these reports of good battery life I'm wondering if I should just do a full wipe & reinstall of my watch because I'm at 80% after only 3hrs. last night I got home and I was at 15% and that's with me only using the watch to check notifications

Maybe? I'm at 91% after about 4 hours with about the same usage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gunder posted:

Are you using the Workout app? I always use "Outdoor Walk" when i'm about to do some brisk exercise walking, and it always counts the full duration. It even tracks and maps the route you took on the iPhone Activity app.

My outdoor walks never give me the full amount I always have to do like over an hour to get the 30 min.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

So does the watch not sync with iMessage on my phone or what? I've got messages on my watch that aren't on the phone. No clue why it's happening :(

It does not. So make sure you delete those sexts from your watch as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a retarded question but I want the drat thanksgiving medal.

Does anyone know if the 5k has to be all at once or can it be broken up? I can't find anything that says one way or the other.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

decypher posted:

I'm pretty sure it's all in one workout. And you have to use the stock workout app.

Well one of the articles mentioned that it would work with any app that had access to health kit.

I've done one walk for 1.5 miles already so I'll do another one later with the dog to see if it works. I'm guessing not but who knows.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jabro posted:

I just got my watch last night. I can't believe all the poo poo my wrist hits throughout the day and I never noticed. My screen shield thingie can't get here fast enough.

You really don't need it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Get the black plastic 5.99 one and never worry you made a mistake because it is perfect.

this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

There's no links its a leather strap.

:rimshot:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anya posted:

I'm debating between the sport and stainless steel, on a series 2. I work in healthcare, and with the type of job I have, I bang my wrists/hands into beds/wheelchairs, parallel bars, and other heavy things all the time. I currently have a 4 year old Nike GPS running watch, which has taken a beating and still keeps ticking. For those of you with more active jobs, would you feel the sport or the stainless steel would hold up better- with regards to the screen/casing? I've read this thread since the beginning, but still haven't quite made up my mind, even with interrogating others who wear one.

My job is way more active and I haven't had an issue with my series 0 sport. You'll be fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anya posted:

Cool. Yeah one of my coworkers has one, and she hasn't had a problem. But I manage to drill my hands/wrists a lot on my patients' wheelchairs and such, so I was a little concerned.

Don't be. I've banged mine into all kinds of poo poo and it still looks great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Huh that's pretty drat cool. I didn't know it worked like that.

Anyone have a recommendation for one?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It really hasn't changed my life but I really do like having it. I wear a watch anyway so spending extra on one that does a poo poo load of stuff is an easy buy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looke posted:

Hey all I have a gen 1 watch, considering upgrading it at some point, is it worth getting the series 2 now, or wait for what ever the next gen will be?

I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting. The series 2 is good and all but I think we are close enough to a refresh to wait.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Looke posted:

i meant gen 0, but i might just wait then, when do they usually do hardware announcements?

Sept-October ish

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well I am just expecting them to go to a yearly refresh which would be sept oct

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would be surprised to see a yearly refresh on this product. Given that it is more of a peripheral than a main device, but still priced like a primary device, folks will not want to spend the money to upgrade as often, and will probably be more turned off by an annual refresh than on other products.

That's a good point too.

My only thing is that it feels like the battery on my series 0 isn't lasting nearly as long. I am really just hoping it lasts long enough for the series 3 to come out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's been really bad lately for me.

It's been 15 hours off the dock and I'm sitting at 6%. I didn't even get very many notifications today and I didn't track any workouts. Maybe I'll have to do a wipe and restore and see if that fixes it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

Wait so just so we're on the same page here, your screen is pristine except one time when you faceplanted... onto concrete...? And you have the sport watch?

In any case you make a good point which is that the type of activity matters, running is probably not hard on the watch at all. I was thinking more like outdoor sports with dirt involved, or the beach etc.

Yeaaa the stainless does not age well if you're trying to avoid scratches but some people enjoy the wear pattern as a kind of unique patina. I can see that.

Yeah my launch week S0 screen is nearly flawless besides a few light scratches that can only be seen under the right light.

I've worn it every day and lift weights with it on 4+ days a week. I also don't work an office job so I'm out and about with it all day as well. It's held up pretty amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo don't get the S0 at this point. The S1 is a much better buy. I have the 0 and I love it but some apps are dog poo poo slow.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm dying over here with my S0. The battery isn't making it even 14 hours before it's down to 10%. I think the battery is just done at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

Same. Not sure whether to pay the "nearly a new watch" replacement fee and hope I get an S1 back, or just sell the drat thing and buy an S2.

I'm just going to try and limp along and hope they announce a new watch by November.

The struggle is real though because I hate having a dead watch when I get home.

• Locked thread