Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

rear end Catchcum posted:

you show people you haven't seen in a while pictures of your apartment and niece on your watch?

He uses keynote on the ipad, controlling the individual time each photo is viewed from the watch remote. Finally, the vacation slide experience is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boner Wad posted:

I have the modular watch face on my watch with a calendar complication on it. Often it doesn't update even after the meeting, like right now it's stuck on a meeting from 2:30-3:30pm. Anyone have this issue? Anyway to fix it?

Calendar.app? Open the app outright on the watch. Another calendar app that isn't fantastical? Open the app on the iphone, when that doesn't work reboot the watch. Fantastical? Uninstall and reinstall, wait for watch os 3 where this hasn't been an issue for anyone I'm aware of--myself included.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

SaturdayKnight posted:

Yup that's done. I've followed all the rules, restarted everything and yet, nothing happens. Every time. And there's no interface through which I can see what's happening so outside of giving up, I don't know what else I can do.

Do you have wifi on on the Mac? It can still be connected via Ethernet, but wifi must be enabled. That's what was tripping me up. USB3 devices can also interfere with the signal.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

milkaxor posted:

I can't seem to discover the answer to this. Likely because it hasn't really happened. Since your phone can support multiple watches, do the activity rings sync up between the two?

I have a s0 SS watch and am getting an aluminum s2. I'm considering keeping the SS one for fancier dress and having the aluminum as my daily wearer.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205792 posted:

Switch between watches

Only one Apple Watch can be active at a time. To switch, take off your current watch, put on another one, then raise your wrist or move your arm. watchOS doesn't support wearing two watches at once, and it doesn't support sharing watches between multiple users at the same time.
Your watches share Activity and Workout information, so your progress automatically updates after you switch. If you put on a different watch to work out, you can still see all your steps, stand credit, and exercise credit for the day. Depending on how much information needs to sync, it might take a minute for you to see all your progress.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gunder posted:

Anyone noticed how the Dark Sky complication constantly predicts: "RAIN STARTING SOON", even when there's none predicted on the iPhone app? I feel like the app has a bit of a hair trigger regarding rain on the watch, when the iPhone app does not.

I get this, and opening carrot weather on the iPhone fixes it, which makes me think that "RAIN STARTING SOON" is the placeholder text when it loses sync.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Is there an app that allows me to set a location on my phone as a destination, then a companion apple watch app just shows which direction that point is in, with distance left to go?

Something like the setup Ripley uses in James Cameron's Aliens to find Newt. This is the kind of thing, only it doesn't appear to have Apple Watch support.

Apple maps? It even vibrates the watch for the next direction/change.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Is there an external HR monitor (chest strap) that works with the built in activity app? Nothing like getting 50 burpees into a workout or 2k into a row and show a heart rate of 60 BPM.

Alternatively, but less preferably, is there one with an app that works well and also uses GPS? I'm hesitant to use a third party app as my experience hasn't been stellar with them. Seems as if they don't keep focus completely they have a tendency to time out or close.

Plus I'm a geek and love sharing my activities with my buddies that keep me accountable for trying to be swole.

Any external HR monitor with bluetooth capabilities has paired to my watch without issue. Any of the ones I have are quite generic amazon trash, so just about any should be fine.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But if you start a workout (with the stock workout app) does the watch use the strap instead of the built in monitor? The ""dropouts" bother me, too.

Yes, it seems that all things that reference the heart rate defer to the strap when it is paired--whether inside or outside of a workout.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

How does the Woven Nylon band hold up for exercising?

I have an Apple Watch with Sports Band, but I was gifted an engraved one with a woven Nylon band. Can't seem a point in keeping two watches, obviously.

The nylon band soaks sweat p easy--i do not recommend wearing it during exercise unless you want to wash it afterward, which you can easily do with mild soap.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yeah, I have the Plus plan, saw the thing about gimped speeds and gently caress that. Yeah, and tethering is awesome, I will use it for sure.

And calls and texts to Canada will save me a few bucks too.

About the Apple Watch, I have two iPhones, one for work and one for personal. Can I use one watch with two phones? I know cellular can only pair with one number, but what about the rest?

Everytime you switch phones you’ll be restoring the watch, which is a time consuming process. It’s doable, but the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

io_burn posted:

Is there any reason to think the WiFi/LTE stuff won't be fixed immediately on launch if not soon after with a day zero Watch OS update?

The overreaction to this has been... interesting. It's like people are dying to find a chink in Apple's armor and a weird bug in the review units of the S3 Apple Watch is the perfect opportunity.

You write reviews for a living, and you're complaining that people are reviewing review units.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

[quote="“Taima”" post="“476596996”"]
Did they really? You would get told to leave or worse for taking a phone call on your watch in any lineup around here...
[/quote]

No, she was paddle-boarding.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Long-force touch on the honeycomb lets you change it to an alphabetical list, if anyone else hadn’t found that yet.

I much prefer it to trying to remember which icon is the timer and which is the stopwatch.

Thank loving god

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a way to disable the sound that plays when holding the side button to initiate an emergency SOS? I already have silent mode on for everything else and I feel like if I ever needed this feature, I’d want it to be quiet.

No. Just wait until you accidentally activate it to find out why, nevermind that it calls emergency services so you’ll also hear the voice of the person on the other end when you activate it, negating the silence.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Agronox posted:

S0 barely lasts a marathon with the workout app. But what in the world would you need LTE for during a marathon anyway? Time to catch up on those important calls?

To listen to music that is offered by Apple Music. This is not a stretch of the imagination by any means.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

quote="Agronox" post="476657180"]
Save it locally then. Seems bonkers to expect something the size of a watch to give you 3.5+ hours of LTE streaming plus fitness tracking on one charge.
[/quote]

Okay so how about wanting to get notifications without hauling your phone along?
Text messages?
How about wanting to track your run and then make a phone call when you're done to decide where to meet.

Again, no stretch of the imagination.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Do you really need to double post everytime you have absolutely nothing to say?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuna posted:

I'm wearing mine "upside down" on left wrist because the wheel/button makes a lot more sense that way. It's cool you can do this.

The part of the band that doubles-over is meant to be on top, for strength, irrespective of the watch’s alignment itself.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

No, their website shows it on the bottom.

In the packaging of the band, it stated to have it on top for swimming.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Strange. I don't actually remember if I looked at the packaging. Top just seems more natural.

I imagine that the water rushing around you is strong enough to undo the hook-and-loop, where on the inside of the stroke it’s less susceptible
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

io_burn posted:

The stocks app is amazingly lovely. I think I figured out what my issue with it is, I was trying to have a complication show the current price of various cryptocurrencies but outside of NYSE hours it thinks the markets are closed and won't update even though crypto markets run 24/7.

You’re mad that the stocks app doesn’t update buttcoins lol

io_burn posted:

Maybe you should just ... enjoy the day?

Have you tried that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

japtor posted:

And it’s supposed to be a bit stretchy so I shouldn’t have to readjust as my arms get back to normal.

In my experience this is untrue, and it is in fact the most constrictive band I own. I like it a lot, it's very easily adjusted, but it's hook and loop so it still requires de- and re-fastening.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Milanese really isn't great, the heap versions are just-as-good-if-not-better at fastening, but those that aren't stainless will have the color wear away in spots like where your wrist hits a laptop.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Housh posted:

I just tried the Milanese at the fruit stand and thought it was cool. My last watch had a thin leather strap that was comfortable. What do you guys recommend for business casual hairy arms?

3rd party leather. There are a ton of good options for 3rd party leather depending on your taste.

Someone's about to gush about the monowear deployent.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Ew. Contrast stitching.

I said someone for a reason, I personally agree with you.

(I also wear the nylon strap most of the time because I'm paid to touch computer--the formality bar I need to beat is set incredibly low)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dissss posted:

I see there is way more variety in the straps available from Apple now than last time I looked.

Anyone have an opinion on the Sport Loop or Leather Loop designs?

I like the sport loop for workouts more than any other, but it's incredibly casual looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Apple Watch - Proving once again to wait for the 3rd revision of an Apple product

Apple Watch - Hoping to get music again in WatchOS 5.

• Locked thread