Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

How many people do you deal with that think they can diagnose exactly what you have because they had that symptom once and their doctor WebMD said it was this extremely rare disease with ten more symptoms that they never manifested?

I used to get that poo poo all the loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's tax season, and you can't read any online article/forum post about tax refunds without a few people trotting on in to go,
"Ha! Morons! If you're getting a refund, you're giving the GOVERNMENT an interest-free loan! You're a total tard! You should always have them withhold as little as possible! Aim for zero, or even bettemr owe THEM money and pay as late as possible! LOl, stick it to the IRS!!! Then you take all that money you saved and get more money from interest! LOL! Libtards, Ron Paul 2012!1!!!"

Oh yeah, ALL THAT interest I could have gotten. :rolleyes:

I got back about $1,000 from the feds this year. Had I done my withholding "correctly," then I would nether give nor receive any money at tax-time, and I could have invested/saved that grand.

Except...no, because I wouldn't have gotten that money all at once at the start of the year like I get it now. It would be an extra ~$38 per paycheck, which is hardly noticeable.

But ok, ignoring that, even if we could take all of it at once and put it away for the year, with today's rates, you'd get an extra...$10. Yay. Even if you put it into a CD, you'd be hard pressed to get more than an extra $40-50 from it.

I agree that if you're getting THOUSANDS back, and it's not from a one-time life event like buying a house or whatnot, then yeah, adjust your withholdings, but otherwise it's better to get it as a lump sum that isn't factored into your monthly/weekly budget that you can easily use for a one-time paying down of high interest debt, or to "treat yo' self," or Hell, you even still have the option to save it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

People who carry around a photo of somebody they claim to know, but it's really just one of the pictures that comes with a picture frame.

Yeah, I know. She's a wallet model.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Cracked is horrible for this poo poo. No, fuckers, I will subscribe when you stop bombarding me with CLICK HERE TO GET ON OUR NEWSLETTER poo poo.

And Pinterest.

They will basically just straight up REFUSE to let you browse their site until you sign up/sign in.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Present posted:

I get salty when someone says they can't do a thing for reason x, when its obvious that reason x is not even a good excuse. Just own up to not feeling like it and tell me, I won't mind.

The corollary is that I have a friend who simply will not take,
"No thanks, don't feel like it." as a valid excuse to not hang out/go to a thing.

He'll just keep spamming texts like,
"Why not?
"You don't have anything else going on."
And "it'll be fun!"

He doesn't understand that maybe I just want to hang out alone and watch TV or play video games for a night. So sometimes it's easier to just make up an excuse.

In fact, right now he's sending out mass texts for his wife's b-day dinner tonight...that he told us about this morning. I'm actually going, but I'm guessing my GF will say no, because she, more often than me, sometimes wants to just chill by herself. So now I'll have to try to make up some weird excuse on her behalf, because if I just say she doesn't want to go, my friend will get the idea she doesn't like him/his wife, when that's not the case. He just chooses lousy days to do things for her schedule and gives little notice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

Then the second register gets opened. As soon as that happens, apparently there is a new rule for waiting your turn. Which is: It's a new register! The old line doesn't apply any more.

So I, in red, will walk over to the other line with my stuff, of course leaving space for yellow to go ahead (green already has everything on the belt, so it's impractical to switch registers) and will nearly get run down by blue.

There's a supermarket near where I used to live that has 1 single line. As soon as a register opens, whoever is next goes to it. It's the most efficient and fair system ever, which I guess is why no other grocery store uses it.

I've seen that system in use at places like Dick's, TJ Maxx, and other department-style stores, but this is the only grocery store I've seen that uses it, and I'm upset that it's too far away for me to use regularly.

By contrast, the grocery store literally 200 feet from my office (so the one I use 90% of the time,) recently remodeled to maker their registers WORSE. They use to have 4 self-checkout lanes. They never got too far backed up. But they decided to remove them and put in 4 regular "10 items or less" lanes. That would be fine, if they ever had the staff to have them all open. I've never seen more than 2 of them open at a time. In their previous model, one employee could staff all 4 self-checkout lanes, but now they need 4, and only ever have 1 or 2. Plus, they always seem to put the new cashiers there so it takes twice as long because they don't have any PLU codes for produce memorized, aren't authorized to sell booze or smokes, etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

People who don't know how to organize their emails. I have this lady that goes bottom-up in her outlook and responds as she goes. This means that she's always responding to the older emails in the email thread. She's done it three times today where a question has been asked and answered and she replies with the answer after everyone has already moved on. This also puts her in a situation where she'll ask a question, I'll give her an answer with a follow-up, but then she'll respond to the earlier email with a "need an answer on this!" because she hasn't read through all her emails yet and seen that I've replied already.

Try to sneak onto her computer and change her settings in Outlook to "Conversation View."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

When Podcasts "take a break" in the middle that serves no purpose!

Some of them use that for their sponsors. Ok, I get that. Gotta pay the bills.

But there's a couple I listen to where the break in the middle is just some music. That's it. And not, like, new music they might be payed to put in. It's some cheap/free public domain/CC licensed crap. It's like not their a live radio show where they need to use the can, or something. I just don't get it.

And half the time I listen to podcasts I'm working out, and I hate touching my phone to skip ahead because I don't want my sweaty fingers all over my phone.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Buying furniture is the worst.

My GF and I just bought a house, and need a couch or futon for our downstairs "den" area. We figured a futon could be more economical than a couch, and then if we happen to have multiple guests for a night or two, there's a place to sleep that's at least a little better than the living room couch (we have a spare bedroom with a bed, but we already have one weekend coming up where we know we'll have a few overnight guests.)

A cheap Wal-Mart futon is like $100-$200, but we'd prefer a nicer one that that, but even low range nice ones are like $500-$600.

And it's the same thing with basically any piece of furniture, be it futon, couch, bed, shelf, table, chair, etc...Either you pay a tiny amount for a particle board and veneered piece of crap, or you pay $1000 for a low end good piece. It seems the only place that you can get "ok quality, ok price" is IKEA, and there isn't one near me.

I'm looking on craigslist, but I don't want the mattress, just the frame, because bedbugs and other grossness of a used mattress. But no one has just a frame, and no one wants to sell just a frame because then they'd still have to pay to get rid of the mattress, and I don't want to pay to get rid of a mattress I don't want...

And pretty soon we'll have to go through the whole drat process again when we shop for a kitchen table set. At least that should be a little easier to get used?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

One of my coworkers pronounces "frustrated" as "flustrated" and it drives me into a small rage every time I hear it.

Same here, only it's "supposebly" instead of supposedly.

Every-time. It's like hearing a five year old talk.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Also: Being tall so doing the dishes kills my back.

I'm not even that tall (5'11") and my back KILLS after only doing dishes for a few minutes.

Kitchen counters are too drat short. I think the standard is 36"? But I'm pretty sure the standard was developed decades ago, primarily for women, cause back in the day they were more likely to be doing the kitchen work.

A few more inches (let's bump it up to 40" maybe?) won't make it that much harder for the average 5'4-5'8" person to wash dishes, do cooking, etc... but it would make a world of difference for those of us taller than that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

On the flip side of painfully slow eaters, my husband is a painfully fast eater. When we go out for a meal he just puts his eyes down and eats, he doesn't stop to talk. If anybody remembers Homer Simpson line 'can't talk...busy...eating' that's my dinner partner.

This was me for a long time. I got the habit because of junior high and high school where we only had 20 minute lunch periods. So in 20 minutes you had to get to the cafeteria (and in junior high, all the classrooms were on the complete opposite side of the building,) wait in line, eat food, and then get back to class/to your next class.

So with walking and waiting in line, you really had like 10 minutes to eat and "socialize." So everyone learned to power through food as fast as possible, and the habit just stuck with me.

I finally was made super aware of it a few years ago and had to make an effort to slow down my eating. I'm usually still the first one done if I'm eating with other people, but not by nearly as much time as before.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Jan 4, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Digirat posted:

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

*throws furniture against wall*
*slams door*

STOMP STOMP

*shitmutt starts barking its head off*

STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP

-my new upstairs neighbor, at all loving hours of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRB0sxw-YU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Owner Associations.

I thought with the massive drought the past few years the legislature passed a law making all those local and HOA mandatory green lawn rules/fees illegal?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Being shushed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

But it does? :psyduck:
Did they get rid of it?

Depends on the device, I've found. I don't know how Netflix does its thing, but I'm guessing the apps for PS4, vs Vizio smart TVs, vs Samsung smart TVs, vs. web interface are all done by different teams so they're never exactly the same.

Infuriating.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

cyberia posted:

My current pet peeve is people who take some sort of perverse pride in talking about how much they dislike water / the taste of water / the chore of having to drink water.
hearing people talking about how they would be happy if they never had to drink a glass of water again like it's some insurmountable chore just blows my loving mind. It makes me feel like they've missed out on some crucial part of human programming and if they didn't live in an age where soft drink is ubiquitous they'd probably be dead by now.

That reminds me of the people who do the same thing with eating. People who watched Futurama and honestly though to themselves,
"Why isn't Bachelor Chow a real thing? I'd buy it. Having to stop what I'm doing 2-3 times a day to eat food is annoying and inefficient."

I mean...I know there are people who hate cooking, and then I sort of understand. But I'm talking about people who literally hate the act of eating in general. I just assume they have broken senses of taste and smell or something because WTF?

There's enough of these people that Soylent is a thing. Which itself I find odd because poo poo like Ensure already existed and isn't that basically what Soylent is? A meal-replacement drink?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Antioch posted:

People who don't shovel their sidewalks/driveways. It snowed 3 days ago, there's tire tracks in the snow so I know you're home, everyone else took care of their part, why is there packed down snow and ice for 30' here? Ya jerk.

People like that make me glad I live in a place where the sidewalks are plowed by the city.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Targeted Facebook ads.

It reminds of the shirts from Idakoos.com:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

Probably because their garage is so crammed with junk that they can't fit their cars in there. That always kills me: $1,000 worth of useless junk crammed in the garage, and a $40,000 SUV/luxury car sitting outside in the elements.

Well my car is designed to be able to stay out in the rain and snow, my electric smoker, mower, weed whacker, etc... aren't.

That being said, I do have enough room in my tiny, 1-car garage for all my stuff that has to stay in there AND still have my fiance's car park in there. I stay on the street simply because she leaves for work before me and gets home first, and the driveway is 1-car wide, so it's a lot easier than doing some kind of car shuffle...and she has a newer/nicer car so it makes more sense for me to park on the street and risk my mirror getting hit than her.

But I'm always just in front of my own home, nowhere near my neighbors' driveways, and it's a decently wide street with parking only on 1-side anyway so it's not a big deal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Like he says, cars can always go outside, but stuff like a mower and weed whacker (which aren't "heavy duty" things, part of basic lawn maintenance) can't.

Seriously, I'd harder consider a ten year old lawn mower my dad gave to me when I got the house and a $50 weed whacker "heavy duty." And the smoke is pretty small, size of a dorm fridge or thereabouts, Christmas gift from the fiance this year.

That's the street view in front of my house...that's not actually my car, that's from about a year before I bought it. I park a bit further back than where that car is, the center of my car being more or less in line with my front walkway. I'm only ever in front of my own house, even if I have visitors who park on the street, I can generally fit 3 cars in the space in front of my house.

I do park in the driveway in bad weather, though, so that more of the street can be plowed, I don't risk getting my car hit by a plow truck, and to make it easier for cars driving by on the street since it'd be less than ideal conditions.

Trust me, I feel for the people who don't have off-street parking and get hosed over by people who do but choose not to use it, but that's never the case for my street. All single family homes w driveways, most with garages, and there's no homes on the other side of the street for almost the entire length of the street because of a large cemetery.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

In my experience, "mama bear" is code for "giant bitch who will scream in your face until you change little MacKenzie's grade to an A and also let her be captain of the soccer team because it will SCAR HER FOR LIFE is she has to sit on the bench one single second of the 5-6 year old youth summer soccer league's season."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: cat food has a better protein/dollar ratio than whey powder. Why can't they make a more affordable big rear end bag of human kibble?

Human food has higher safety and quality standards.

Not sure if this is qualifies for the thread, but I'd really like to be able to get myself a 'new' (used) car tomorrow, but I don't think I'll be able to. I've got the money, and found one I'd like see/test drive at a nearby dealership (assuming it's in good shape,) but I plan on keeping my current vehicle, too (a truck, so I can do truck things with it.)

I haven't found anyone willing to drive me over there so that if I decide to buy it I can drive it home, and it's too far to take a cab/Uber to. My local friends are all busy or out of town (or, rightfully, don't feel like wasting a few hours of their weekend being my chauffeur... Can't blame them.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

when you have any kind of message inbox or email, and clicking on a message doesn't immediately mark as read so you keep having a number next to the inbox even though you clicked on it

That's why the first setting I ever change in a new install of Outlook is that an email is marked as read just from me highlighting it in the email list and the preview showing up in the reading pane for just 1 second.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Along those lines: I've seen a strange increase in people who turn on their turn signals and just forget that they're on? I'll leave room for them for 5 minutes then hit a stop light and realize they apparently just don't hear their car clicking.

The click of the turn signal has had like a 5000% drop in loudness from when I was a kid. Cars from the 70's and 80's loving CLICKED when that blinker was on like they meant it.

Cars from the 90's to now are like,
"click...click...hello? Ok, nevermind...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I try to do car repairs myself. It's a...mixed bag. Some thing go really well and are simple, like when I replaced the thermostat on my truck's coolant system.

But other things are a LOT more complicated than any youtube tutorial makes them seem, because I guess they are all filmed in, like, Florida or southern California because the loving cars are drat near rust-free.

I just wanted to replace the brake pads and rotors on my car. The first one, the FIRST ONE I tried resulted in me having to buy a whole new brake caliper because a loving $5 little spring was so rusted in the old one that it was impossible to remove.

I've already looked at the other caliper, and I can see it's the same situation...worse, actually. So there goes any chance on saving money, already spend another $80 more than I wanted on a caliper, and now I feel I have to go to a garage to get the rest done because there's a chance they, with better tools and skills can remove that old rusty spring without any sort of caliper damage, but it'll cost me in labor, so...maybe I should just buy a new caliper for that side, too?

gently caress cars.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

throw them in the river/ocean, OP

Look, aside from the batteries, that's quite illegal.

Bash it with a hammer or baseball bat.

When did America lose it's way and stop smashing things that AREN'T like buttons?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This article describes a peeve: stupidly large and unnecessarily dangerous trucks and SUVs being all the rage today. https://theweek.com/articles/929196/case-against-american-truck-bloat?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't begrudge people buying trucks who genuinely need them to haul poo poo but let's not pretend that 75k death machines are hauling more than the occasional home depot purchase.

Yup.

I have an old pickup, 1999 Mazda B4000, which is just a re-badged Ranger, and it's really the upper limit of what I want in terms of truck size. but unless I stick to only 90's/early 2000's trucks that are getting older and rustier, I will have to get something bigger at some point if I want to continue to own/use a truck.

gently caress the chicken tax and the slow death of the light duty import caused by it. Obviously not the only cause, because that wasn't forcing Ford, GMC, etc... to either kill their light duty trucks or make them as big as older-era medium or large duty, but it didn't help.

Word play aside, the US trend of larger trucks/SUVs is a chicken and egg scenario...do Americans buy large trucks because that's all there is/all that's marketed, or did manufacturers stop making smaller ones because Americans demanded only big trucks?

I think I might just go into that car importing thread in AI and look into what it takes to get myself a sweet mid-90's Hilux or similar when my current one finally dies.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Comedy replies to serious questions in forums and groups.

If you are all in a group about growing heritage tomatoes, and someone posts a picture of their plants asking to help identify why an issue is happening, replying with.

"Solar flares 😆" or "5G 🤪". Is the opposite of helpful. Either give genuine assistance or shut the gently caress up. You are not funny.

Honestly, it's why it's hard to go to ANY forum other than SA. There was another one i went to in the early aughts that, like SA, did have rules like "don't be a jackass" and "at least put a modicum of effort into a reply" and it was mostly ok. But there were still joke answers like that, everyone thinking they're the cleverest son-of-a-bitch for repeating the same tired "joke", and even beyond that, too many people stuck up their own rear end with the "smartest person in the room" mentality.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The way every social media site and video chat platform just aggressively crops images/videos without asking. No point trying to carefully position your webcam to make sure everything's in frame because the edges are going to get cut off half the time anyway. And it's great how, when I see a comic or something on Twitter or Facebook, it's even odds that the first bit I see will be the punchline.

Related to social media garbage, I don't use instagram that much. I follow a couple artists I like and a couple dumb "meme factory" ones (Middle Class Facy is mostly a pro click, for example.) They're like 99% just single image posts. Easy to view.

But my girlfriend is a massive insta user, and is always showing me things, like videos and slide shows.

Instagram video player is the worst. No progress indicator, you can't go back or fast forward, your only options are play from start and pause.

And other times things are in a "slide show" format, so she hands me her phone to view one picture in it, but then I guess I'm the idiot because I forget that to "pause" the slide show you have to keep your finger touching the screen, and in the hand-off her thumb leaves the screen but I'm not touching it, so it auto scrolls to the next one and I have to exit the slide show, go back to the post, start it, and wait to get to that pic in the middle of the loving slide show she wanted to show me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

In the vein of loudness, my phone connects to my car stereo just from an AUX cable, no Bluetooth.

There are times where I have my car and phone audio at max, and if I'm at highway speeds, I can barely hear, depending on what I'm listening to.

I ASSUME this is because the phone thinks I'm using headphones and has some sort of built in ear-protection? Idk, it's like this in both my cars, both just use AUX cord cause they're old and I don't want to bother to replace them with after market bluetooth capable stereos.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Youtube ads are getting out of control, especially since everyone started working from home and, I assume, providing a more captive audience.

A 20 second ad to watch a 4 min video. Two unskippable 10 sec ads. Makes me want to watch less youtube not more. On desktop I can block them but no such luck with the iphone app (and i do use the app features rather than the web interface so I think I'm stuck).

Don't get me started on the 'fill out this survey to help our advertisers'. Who would do this? Who would provide companies with this information for free???

You can possibly cut them out entirely, even on an iPhone, with a PiHole:
https://pi-hole.net/

There's plenty of guides for even non-technical people. Though obviously only works at home.

Another possible thing to try, if an iPhone allows it, is to use an ad-blocking DNS server like Ad-Guard

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

My dad "taught" me that if the telephone poles were on your right, you were traveling north. To this day, he'll say stuff like "Turn right, not left! C'mon, where are the telephone poles?"

Did you ever make mention of when the poles crossed sides on the street?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

OHM-G, I'm shocked that isn't true! You've transformed my worldview.

Heh.

It is weird that some people, when giving directions, are more focused on cardinal direction than relative. My dad is the same way (wait...is that just a dad thing?)

Like...in the end, it's less important that I "turn North at the intersection" than it is I "turn right at the intersection."

Don't get me wrong, it's good to know the actual direction something is, but if, say, a road sign is missing or it's not a major or even minor highway where that's pointed out on a sign, then saying "right" is, IMO, more important since I might not know off the top of my head, while driving and don't have time to figure out out, which way North is.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edit: Wrong thread

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But without the microwave’s vent fan to rely on how will they skimp on proper kitchen ventilation?

I haven't lived in a place with REAL stove ventilation since...2006? 2007? And even then, it was a "downdraft" style vent in the middle of the stove. More effective than the lovely "recirculating hoods" that are commonly part of the over-the-stove microwaves (and even non-microwave hoods) but hardly a proper "over the stove, vents outside" hood.

And most of those places have their stoves installed on outside walls! I can at least understand if it's on an interior wall, and/or an apartment where there's no easy way to just go up through the roof. But both my current home, actual full home, and previous actual full home, have stoves on exterior walls but still just lovely recirculating hoods.

Granted, I lived in the last place for 4 years and had the opportunity, technically, to install one but I kept putting it off on the theory that I was TOTALLY going to redo the kitchen next summer, so I'll just do it then...but then never did.

I've been in my current place for a year and I'm doing the same excuses, so...yeah. At this point no one to blame but me, and the cost of a new vent hood+stove combo (cause it seems silyl to be to buy JUST a hood when I have an old stove that could use replacing anyway.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I also think how people use trucks has changed. It used to be a truck was a second or third vehicle for a family, so if it was just a two seater, it didn't matter because it was just to haul things from point A to point B. None of this "extend cab" or "four door cab for your WORK CREW!" BS.

I mean, obviously don't rule out the machismo factor of "BIGGER TRUCK MEANS YOU'RE MANLIER", but at least part of it is people and companies only wanting to have one vehicle to transport people, so you get an F-150/250 that is basically the front 2/3 of a giant SUV with a 5 foot bed on the end that can maybe hold the tools and personal equipment of the guys in the cab, cause the construction company gets their materials delivered, or has their own semi trucks or flatbeds for hauling, so it doesn't matter if it's a small bed with a cap on it.

And for the personal market, it means Brad and Karen can take it "camping" with Kayden, Kyle, and Kendra in the back seat, and tow a camper that costs as much as the truck and used 1/10th as often and they all have heated seats, or their own AC, and TV screens on the back of the seats, etc...

And people like us who really want a small truck as a second vehicle to haul trash or building materials for some DIY stuff on weekends get left in the dust because we're a small market, and eventually enough of us say "gently caress it" and sell our sedans/wagons and get a new Tacoma anyway, because even though you don't really want 4 doors or just a 5/6 foot bed, it's still technically the smallest truck available that's not 20+ years old.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Dec 7, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Minor thing, but when people send me emails and the CC themselves on it.

Not an alternate email...literally sending it to themselves. Why? There are two ways to easily see an email you sent:

1) Sent emails folder. But really, are there still people, even 70 year old boomers who hate computers, who don't know this exists?

2) Change Outlook to conversation view, and then your sent emails and the other persons reply are all together in your inbox. Much better, honestly it should be the default option in Outlook, and why isn't it? Bill Gates plz respond.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Steaming services that have a "Continue Watching" function that operates differently than browsing to an episode listing.

By that I mean, using Disney+ as the example here because I've been using it a lot lately, on the main screen your recent items are ther under a heading called "Continue Watching"

If you click on an TV show there, it goes right into the episode you left on on, and NOT the main page/episode listing for that show.

That part is ok, I can see the mindset of the UI/UX designers going,
"When people click Continue they want to go exactly where they left off, no extra browsing or button pressing." Cool, makes sense.

But...there's no way to go BACK to the episode listing from "Continue Watching." On Disney+, every episode, when paused, has a generic "back" button that can only go back to the one previous screen. So if you selected the ep. from the list of eps on the main show page, you go back to that episode listing and can easily select a different one.

But if you started from the "Continue Watching," it sends you back to the main page, and you have to navigate back through the menu to get back to the shows page, and it's not always quickly accessed.

Some popular shows, Simpsons, for one, are generally right there listed on the main page so it's only a few clicks to get to the show's episode list.

But others? Ones they don't care about, like most of the classic Disney Afternoon stuff? The only way to get back to the show's episode list is to go to the search bar, and search bars on streaming sites/devices are all, to a T, garbage.

On screen QWERTY to make it quick/easy to type? No...a single row of letters and numbers, with NO wraparound, that will scroll too slowly when you try to go one by one, but too fast if you hold down the left/right buttons.

The only reason they have such bad UX is because maybe someone else has all the patents on the good features, probably Netflix, since it was the first (or at least first popular one) and I'm 90% sure it does use on screen QWERTY and allows you to go to the episode list from continuing a recently played ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

docbeard posted:

My office bought everyone webcams because the CEO feels VERY STRONGLY about this.

Better than having to go in to the office, at least.

Same here. Not for the company I work for, but for the company I am contracted to (work in IT.) The CEO, CTO, all the various department directors, etc... all want everyone on video in every meeting.

But...when we all went work from home last April (most of us, anyway, I get to keep coming in), we found out the combination of Wyse thin clients that most people were using, our Citrix and virtual environment, and Microsoft Teams meant that no one could do video calls in Teams (unless they were one of the relatively few people who had a laptop or used a personal device to connect to their VM through a Citrix gateway website.)

And this was right after we just made a big push to get everyone ONTO Teams and off of Skype, since you can have bigger meetings, better integration w/ other Microsoft products, and that Skype will eventually be retired. On top of that, the wyse thin clients we were using we new ones we had JUST switched to from an older model, because we were specifically told these new ones work better with Teams and video. Except...nope, at least not with the firmware on them. Dell had some early release firmware that MIGHT work, and we tested it but it had a whole slew of issues.

So now, we are in the process of ordering, imaging, and shipping out hundreds of Dell micro PCs that use a full (albeit very locked down) Windows environment instead of the Dell ThinOS that DO work with video calls in Teams.

Thousands upon thousands of dollars spent (my quick napkin math is at least 150k JUST for the Micro PC hardware, not counting cost of labor, any possible additional hardware someone might need to switch from the old Wyse device, etc...), all because the few guys at the top want to see people in meetings.