Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
A few weeks ago I was trying to explain a new piece of software to a co-worker. She turned the caps lock key on by accident (it put an icon on her screen) when typing her password. Rather than turn the caps lock key off before retyping her password, she simply held the shift key the entire time. Given how quickly she adjusted, I suspect this must be a common occurrence for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Doesn't happen very often, as I'm no jetsetter: hotel bathroom fixtures that don't really make it clear how to turn on the shower. I spent a solid 10 minutes until I realized that I had to pull down on the faucet, from underneath, to get the shower head to pour water.

I do spend a lot of time in hotels and can confirm that every hotel shower somehow manages to work differently from every other shower in existence. On the other hand, residential showers all seem to work in just 2 or 3 ways (unless they're really old).

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Summer peeve: people who insist upon joining a hike or bike ride despite being completely unable to keep up with the group (and knowing it). No, it is not a benefit to me that I get an excuse to rest at every junction because you can barely make it up the slightest incline. If you think the trip we've planned is too difficult, you need to be the person to plan the next one.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
How I want to use Google Street View: see what a neighborhood looks like from the street, scout out potential scenic drives, try to find myself/my car, occasionally look at a Photo Sphere in a country that doesn't have any Street View imagery.

How Google thinks I want to use Street View: look at a Photo Sphere of a highway rest area, look at a Photo Sphere of a parking lot, look at a Photo Sphere of a random public park, see inside a barber shop, maybe look at actual Street View imagery if there's truly nothing else available.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Jean-Luc Godard made an artsy-fartsy 3D movie a few years back called Goodbye to Language. It has a few scenes where you can close one eye to see a completely different image. I really hope that doesn't catch on.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I like living near a college campus because the self-checkout is full of college students who only shop for themselves and rarely buy fresh produce. If someone brings a cart through, it's just a couple cases of beer. Grocery stores in other parts of town are far less efficient.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My girlfriend says "dehydrated" when she really means "thirsty". To hear her tell it, every hike is a brush with death. I think I finally convinced her to stop the madness by repeatedly responding with "if you're dehydrated, we should probably stop hiking/biking/whatever and go see a doctor".

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

Mild dehydration is still dehydration, and the symptom is that you're thirsty -- the term does not SOLELY refer to levels of dehydration which are physically dangerous and require a doctor's attention, and by no means does being dehydrated require being on the brink of death or whatever. Your girlfriend's usage is perfectly legitimate, you just find it annoying, which is also legitimate but not the same issue as you think it is

It's not even mild dehydration. She simply has wrong ideas about how much water a person should drink when exercising.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

cinni posted:

I hate going through the drive thru at a fast food place, only wanting maybe a cheap dollar burger or one item, and the person in front of me has ordered half the menu for god knows how many people (or maybe just themselves). If you know you are going to be placing a large order to go, go inside to order and wait politely so other people can use the 'fast' convenience of the drive thru. "Ok there's their bag of food, time for them to go... oh wait, one more.... they aren't going.... and another.... and here's the sodas..." and of course then they have to tap on the window again and argue/discuss something or get more of something holding things up further (don't forget to meticulously check all your hordes of food bags) before finally.... slooooowly pulling off into the yonder.

My nightmare scenario: I walk into the local bakery on the way into work to pick up a Danish. There is a line, so I have to wait patiently for a few minutes. The person ahead of me gets to the counter and says "I'd like to get a dozen pastries". The next ten minutes are excruciating. "Uh, how about one of those? And what is that one? No, I think I'll do something else. OK, that's like 9, right? Can you remind me what I got again?" Never does this manage to be simple.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My company thought it was a good idea to hold a global IT conference in Orlando in June. All the Italians wore sweaters every day even though it wasn't terribly cold in the conference rooms (mostly because the rest of the Europeans dressed for summer and demanded the AC be set to a higher temperature). Apparently it is really important to be as warm as possible at all times.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Dear genie:
1. No photography in art museums unless the exhibit is specifically intended to be photographed. Selfies in front of famous paintings are grounds for immediate expulsion.
2. No discounts for children under 6 at art museums. Toddlers don't care about the art and their strollers just get in everyone's way.
3. You get no more than thirty seconds to take your posed photo in a crowded place.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Cyclists riding side-by-side on a busy multi-use path. I don't mind this so much when it's parents and their children but 90% of perpetrators are older folks wearing jerseys and riding nice bikes. You don't get to that point without knowing that this is not acceptable behavior.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

someone awful. posted:

As a person who does this I personally apologize but even if "whoa" is correct it displeases me aesthetically

It's spelled that way because you are supposed to pronounce the h (or at least you were back when people did that sort of thing).

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate fake San Francisco in shows/movies. Psych The Movie is entirely unconvincing and looks Vancouver as gently caress.

There are multiple movies set in Seattle that feature major Vancouver tourist attractions like Stanley Park and Granville Island. They don't even try to hide it.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Complaining about food not being authentic means you're a oval office. All that matters is if it tastes good or not.

My all-time favorite Yelp review went something like "I'm from California so I know authentic Mexican food. I went to [a Yucatecan restaurant] and ordered chicken fajitas and they just weren't very good".

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to like a few travel vlogs on Youtube but over the years everything has changed to just eating food. Rick Steve is still good i guess.

The subgenres of YouTube travel videos:
1. Nothing but eating, no matter the claimed subject of the video
2. 15 minutes of the host calling everything "amazing"
3. GoPro or drone footage of an outdoor activity that was edited to hide the fact that the host never got more than 20 minutes from the visitor center
4. Clearly this person never leaves the house back home

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

speaking of work: people who intentionally work a late schedule and get mad at the people who come in early and leave early. I like to leave home at sunrise and get home before sunset. Driving in the dark blows especially on a snow day like today. Just because you like to waltz in just before lunch and stay until a normal person's time to go to sleep doesn't mean I should have to, unless you're my boss, which you're not.

I strongly suspect that most people who "come in late and stay late" really just come in late and leave 20 minutes after the boss does.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
You can't call your phone a "Droid" unless you are willing to pay licensing fees to Disney.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

All this talk of eating vegetarian reminded me of one of my peeves: I really hate the poo poo people will give you for being male and ordering a salad as a meal. It's like it activates this really lovely nexus of misogyny, toxic masculinity, and homophobia in some people's minds, and they just can't help but judge your sexual orientation because they see you eating greens.

Counterpoint: salad is not a meal unless it's one of those "salads" that's really just a pile of protein on top of a couple of lettuce leaves (which is usually the best thing to order if you're trying to lose weight). Greens may seem to fill you up now, but the snack you eat two hours later more than negates any health benefits from your lunch.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

crazy fact: people eat multiple meals in a day and some wild folks understand things like portion control and "waiting until dinner instead of gorging as soon as they feel slightly hungry."

others even eat small, macro-appropriate snacks to stave off annoying hunger, and then eat a smaller meal later!

source: i lift successfully, eat a leafy salad with next-to-no protein BUT WITH a huge splash of fatty dressing almost every day for lunch, but get 140g of protein a day, while vegetarian. and somehow make gains even at my manlet height without getting fat.

You are a tiny minority. As evidence, I submit any corporate lunch room in America.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The Mandela effect is when you'd rather claim that you're being gaslighted than admit you just didn't remember something correctly.

Is there a real term for something like "beam me up, Scotty" or "Luke, I am your father", where people don't realize that the popular conception of something isn't the original version but assume it is? My favorite recent example is so many people attributing “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met” to John Green that he himself came to believe he had written it (the real source was a John Green Tumblr).

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

One of my roommates frequently has her phone calls on speaker, or is listening to podcasts without earbuds. She does this while taking her dog out on walks, and I can hear her out in the hallway when she gets to our floor, before she's even gotten to our door.

The worst sound is any sound coming out of someone else's smartphone speaker. Either I don't want to hear it in the first place or the tiny speaker garbles it so much I regret having heard it.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
A catalog of the bicycle infrastructure in your American city:

The quarter inch of pavement laid down over bare dirt in 1986 and not maintained since (except when someone was kind enough to mark the tree roots with red paint).
The totally sweet downhill with a posted speed limit of 7 MPH.
The two-way cycle track that forces you to switch sides of the road three times in less than a mile.
The unprotected bike lane on the side of a six-lane highway.
The beautiful multi-use path that unceremoniously dumps you out on a random sidewalk half a mile from any other piece of infrastructure.
"Let's put a bunch of random curves on this trail so that nobody can go too fast, OK?"
The pleasant trail through farm country with a stop sign at every single intersection, including driveways that clearly haven't been used for decades.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Some of your issues could be fixed by not following the law so much, unless your area is rife with farm country cops pulling over cyclists.

That is specifically why all the speed limits and stop signs bother me so much. Nobody obeys or enforces them 99% of the time yet we get them anyway to appease the yokels who show up at public meetings. The Dutch policy of "cyclists have the right of way unless there's a compelling interest otherwise" is absolutely the preferred approach here.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
If your burger is served on an actual plate, you're probably getting ripped off. Burgers are casual meals that should be treated as such.

If a restaurant does put your burger on a plate, you can recoup your losses by dumping the contents of the plate on to the table and making a huge mess for someone to clean up. This probably only works once per establishment, though.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i am tired of the word "hosed". "we" are hosed. the country is hosed. the environment is hosed. the videogames industry is hosed. naruto is hosed. i get it. stop saying this

The greatest deleted scene in DVD history is a bit from All the Real Girls in which Danny McBride's character makes a pass at his cousin. She gets really upset, of course, and the scene ends with him saying "Christmas is hosed".

My pet peeve is that this scene isn't available on Youtube so I can't just link it here.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Dog videos that are just narration or "dog speak" captions while the dog is staring at an off-screen treat. It works for Andrew Cotter because he actually shows the dogs enjoying their treats at the end but it does not work for all those Facebook videos where the person filming it clearly thinks you're too stupid to realize what is going on (to be fair, it's a reasonable assumption for much of the audience).

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Many people have bad ideas about bike lighting. The purpose of the front light is for you to see what's in front of you. The purpose of the rear light is to let other people see you. Strobe lights make it harder for someone to judge your location at best and are downright distracting at worse. Just use non-flashing lights and point them at an angle that doesn't blind drivers or fellow cyclists.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
It's not an album unless it's at least 30 minutes long. Anything shorter than that is an EP and we're still waiting for your next album to come out. It gets particularly silly when the modern habit of releasing 25-minute "albums" intersects with the modern habit of releasing a four or five promotional singles and the actual release ends up being all of two new songs.

*Punk rock exception: if it has 10+ songs you can still call it an album even if it's only like 23 minutes long.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have seen at least a couple stores/fast food joints near me that have little signs like,
"If you don't get a receipt, let a manger know and your meal is FREE!" or something like that, so yeah, just an over abundance of corporate training.

This is to prevent the cashier from ringing in your order at a lower amount (or not ringing it in at all if they're really brazen) and then pocketing the difference. A real issue with cash payments but obviously not such a big deal with credit cards.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

credburn posted:

White Rabbit, Sympathy For the Devil, and Where is My Mind are three songs I'd like to just not show up in movies anymore please

A great thing about Dark is that the soundtrack is almost all pop songs from European artists that are relatively obscure in the US (other than Peter Gabriel and, ugh, Rick Astley). To my American ears they sounded exotic.

Maybe 1899 feels the same way for Europeans but it seems a lot less exciting to me after growing up hearing this stuff all the time.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Everyone knows about Google searches being garbage but the real crime is what they did to Gmail search. I can search for any word or phrase and the results inevitably include every synonym, every alternate spelling, every synonym of those alternate spellings, and, gently caress it, let's just assume I misspelled my search term and really wanted to write any other word that shares 51% of the letters you used.

A lot of this could actually be helpful if the results were weighted by usefulness, but they are instead provided in the same reverse chronological order as my inbox. Either I have to spend a bunch of time clicking past useless results or a bunch of time fiddling with the advanced options and redoing the search with the words in quotation marks. Web search is bad at least partly because of SEO but Gmail search being lovely is entirely Google's fault.

(Outlook actually does the "these messages seem like the most likely results" thing but the Outlook algorithm seems to be "pick two of the five most recent emails plus something at random from the archives" so it's not really any better.)

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

Gmail search has the same rules as google search. If you want something specific, put it in quotes. If you’re getting a lot of results that have something in it you don’t want, use -(word) to force a removal of that word or phrase.

Here’s a list of the different operators to make your search easier: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433

That's the point. They hosed up search so badly that it only works properly if you use operators and filters, and usually I don't know what operators I need until I discover that searching for 'ducks' is giving me results for 'geese' and 'Oregon'. Regular Google search would at least put a few of the 'ducks' results first before deciding I didn't actually mean to search for half the words I typed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Online shopping in Alaska:

75% of the time, the FREE SHIPPING is not available in Alaska, and there's no way to learn this until the last step of the ordering process
20% of the time, there's a flat US shipping rate and it results in me paying $5 for 2-day air because that's technically the cheapest option offered by UPS and FedEx
5% of the time, the FREE SHIPPING results in the company shipping a 50-pound package to Alaska via 2-day air. Score!