Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Something that really gets on my nerves is when people make strong, incredulous claims to knowledge about or familiarity with a subject based on their profession or geographic origin and it doesn't make any loving sense. The righteous version of this would be something like "Oh, yeah, I know a lot about fire safety because I was a firefighter for 20 years" or "The frustrations of a underdeveloped public transit system are familiar to me, as a native of Atlanta". That's insightful. But no, I get the living embodiment of the lovely tee-shirts with aggressive slogans and scratchy font with comments like "I'm used to dealing with crazy people 'cause I'm from SODA SPRINGS, IDAHO, BITCH!!!"

Most recently I was discussing the merits of various psychedelic drugs (like the fine, upstanding citizen I am) with my friend at a party, when this girl I don't even recognize passes by and says

:j: I don't have to take drugs to see things in my head

(dramatic pause)

:j: I'm a WRITER

Usually this is a symptom of people in their early 20s struggling with their total lack of meaningful self-identity because they're too young and their experiences too ubiquitous for them to have any interesting or unique perspectives on anything. Still annoys the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

This annoys me especially in skill-based reality shows (i.e. cooking shows). Just because your grandparents were Italian doesn't mean you're automatically good at cooking pasta/pizza, or just because you lived in Spain for a few years doesn't mean you know how to cook Spanish food, etc. Also in more standard reality shows where it seems like they are instructed to go way over the top on their accents and stereotypical behavior of where they are from, especially if they are from New York or Boston. I don't mind shows using "creative" cuts to create a more entertaining show but would it be so terrible if people were allowed to act like they actually do in real life? Nobody outside of TV begins every sentence with a reminder of what region/state/country you come from.

My favorite part of those shows is always the exchange between the judges and the cooks where it's like

"So tell us chef Daniel, why did you decide to use apple cider vinegar in your vinaigrette?"

"My parents died tragically when I was a child"

"Ah, yes, very good."

But in staying on topic, what really annoys me is when the judges give their final impressions of each dish and their narration is so heavily edited that there's a noticeable change in pitch or tone between Every Single Word.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

cash crab posted:

Now that I am back at school I am reminded of a very specific peeve where people will talk in class. Either together or to themselves, it's so annoying.

I, too, am reminded of a school related peeve: People who start packing up their poo poo as loudly as possible when it gets down to 3 minutes before the end of class. Could you come up with a quieter way of expressing the fact that you have absolutely no respect for the professor? I dunno what these asshats do with all the free time they accumulate by getting out the door 10 seconds before anyone else.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

Respect goes both ways though. I have no problem with people doing this if the professor runs over time, especially if they do it regularly. Doing it while there's still time left is a dick move though.

You know, what's strange is that in the only class I've ever taken where the professor made a habit of letting people out late, no one ever made a move until he was well and truly done. I suppose because it was a grad level course that only took place once a week so everyone was already kind of dead inside and already resigned to the prospect of spending too much time in classrooms.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Okay so I have to complain about traffic because it's bothering the hell out of me.

I live close to the interstate, about 10 minutes from downtown, and the road that turns off onto my street is a fairly busy commuter road for people who live in the next county over. In order to get off of this commuter road and onto my street when I'm coming home, I have to take a left turn across one oncoming lane. During rush hour my outgoing lane plods along at a steady 20 mph and the oncoming lane is usually empty.

No problem, right? Well, sometimes there's a tiny bit of oncoming traffic, and I have to come to full stop and wait 5-10 seconds before I can make the turn. This drives people loving INSANE. At least twice a week someone comes to a screeching halt behind me, honks, and tears into the shoulder to pass me. I signal my turns well in advance. I brake very gently. They're acting like jackasses just so they can get back in the line of cars that hasn't progressed even 100 yards down the road. They have lost nothing because of my interference, and they'll get home no later. Why can't people calm. the. gently caress. down.

There's this general impatience with other drivers that baffles me. When I come to a red light and want to make a right turn (which is legal in my state), I get people behind me who honk incessantly if I fail to take advantage of the barest of car-sized gaps in the intersecting traffic. Can I not be trusted to judge whether or not it's safe to take a turn? Can we not collectively accept that the worst case scenario here is waiting another 20 seconds for a green light?

Just today I watched a guy in the left turn lane at an intersection lay into his horn, throw obscene gestures and yell incoherently because the car in front of him stalled and he missed the left turn light. Losing 45 seconds of his day was an offense worth abandoning all pretense of civility or sanity.

I makes me want to move to a city with actual public transit, but I'm sure that's a laughably naive sentiment.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Chattanooga, TN

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

It only transports coal and non-union jobs :(

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I recently went to the local aquarium (because it's loving awesome) and was reminded of a pet peeve I've had since I worked formal events and fancy cocktail parties back in college: People who block thoroughfares, or are otherwise completely unaware of the space they take up in a crowd. Every single time I would work an event we'd get people forming conversational circles right in front of a door, or in front of a cocktail bar, or bathroom entrance, and I'd just like it if people would stop, look around, and recognize that they are not the only people at a party and that other people want to walk through doorways or get food or otherwise move around the venue.

A related peeve: Our special events group was almost entirely composed of college-aged men and women. One thing I realized very early on is that rich people don't like to take suggestions from young women, so every time we needed to herd people to the dining room, or ask them to not block the loving doorways, it had to be a guy saying it. The rich men wouldn't take women seriously, and the rich women would bristle like a porcupine at the mere thought of a younger woman telling them what to do. It was disgusting, especially because our women staff were invariably more observant and talented than any of us men.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

All these jokes banned by the Workaholics writing team

Wow, this reads like the 2nd through 45th post in any given Reddit comment thread.

I like this. I'm gonna get back into Workaholics.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I have a ton of creatively-oriented friends, so I end up listening to a fair amount of spoken poetry, and the one thing that annoys me more than anything is "Poet Voice".

I can't tell you how many great (or merely good) poems are ruined by poets using this awkward performance style.

http://www.cityartsonline.com/articles/stop-using-poet-voice

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I don't know what it is about Craigslist that completely breaks down the western convention that haggling a price is considered gauche, but that's not my pet peeve. My pet peeve is that people are insultingly bad at it.

Trying to sell a camper worth 15k for 12k. Guy emails me, telling me that his buddy who totally exists and sells campers for a living says it's only worth 7.5k at most. References a website that doesn't exist as a secondary source. Texts me every day at 7 AM to ask if I'm ready to relent.

Worse are the people who agree to a price, then show up and try to buy a $200 item for $50. Every single goddamn time. I once shaved 10% off a workout bench for a kid just because he didn't try to pull anything.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Also good are the idiots that come right out of the gate with "how low will u go" emails. Look, moron, I'm not going to haggle with myself. That's not how this works at all. Same goes for the people who ask questions that were specifically answered in the loving ad. READ.

That infuriated me until I started answering them with my original list price.

The one heart-warming exception was when I was selling off a bunch of old Calvin and Hobbes books, got an email to that effect. Turns out it was a teacher in a poor district who wanted to flesh out his in-class library. I couldn't take money for that, so I donated them as my one good deed of the year.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't mind haggling but once we agree on a price and where to meet the haggling is done. I don't want to show up and you try to bring the price lower once we're face to face.

Yeah, exactly. I guess people tend to relent just to get the sale over with, but I'm a little too spiteful to fold like that. To my own detriment, no doubt.

I've been considering adding a disclaimer to all my postings along the lines of "If you don't show up ready to pay the agreed upon price you will not leave with X" but I'm afraid that would scare off some legitimate buyers.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

That does sound very like high-pressure-sales, so people may have trouble trusting an ad with that kind of disclaimer. No "seeing what it's like/that it exists before you decide to haul money" just "Come and pay me sight unseen. I'm good for it!"

Just saying that's how some people could perceive it.

Yeah, and that's the problem. It'd be a thin line to walk, insisting that it's a take it or leave it situation without sounding like a sketchy rear end in a top hat. I don't care if people show up with every intention of buying my stuff, see it, and change their mind. That's understandable.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Mar 31, 2017

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

If you work in an office and spend 90% of your time in front of a computer and you still suck at email in TYOOL 2018, gently caress you. You should be fired. All I ask is that you answer the questions I ask you, use complete sentences, and don't write in the manner of a stroke victim, especially when you correspond with clients. I would fire several of my co-workers if I could based purely on how they present themselves to other agencies and institutions over email. It's always the same Boomers who rag on millennials for not knowing obscure or outdated skills that also can't use a keyboard past a third grade level despite having decades to practice. My aunt learned to code in Python at the age of 68; what the gently caress is your excuse, Ted?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Every company on earth is acting like a clingy partner. Ubisoft emails me begging me to play more of games I've finished. Companies I've bought from want feedback. Delivery companies want to know "how they did." Even buying in a shop, the shop assistant points out the web address on the receipt where I can go to leave feedback on my shopping experience. I just want to pay for something and get the item, without a weeks worth of passive aggressive emails saying "We noticed you haven't been able to take three minutes to fill in our feedback form. We'd really appreciate it if you did."

I get, on average, about 8 emails per Amazon order.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Stairs posted:

loving recipe reviews.

"Five stars! Great recipe! I changed it a bit by using chicken instead of beef, added four cups of onions, omitted all the pepper and cumin, and turned it into a soup. So yummy!"

"This is a terrible recipe, I would never make it again. Followed the directions except I didn't have any beef so I used canned tuna, and I didn't have an iron skillet so I used a rusty muffin tin, and I didn't have any of the spices so I added a ramen packet. It had no flavor and my husband cried."

You. Didn't. Make. This. Recipe.

"Instead of using turmeric I squatted, pantless, over a running food processor and slowly lowered my testicles in :( 0/5"

Every. loving. time.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Also my pet peeve is that the whole job application process is bullshit in the face of just knowing people. I got a form letter rejection from a 3-hour application to do contract work for an environmental consulting firm. A week later, today, I happen to meet the department coordinator during a catered lunch at an industry conference, never mention I applied, and 30 minutes later she's giving me her card and telling me to email her whenever I want contract work.

I've had roughly 2 dozen gigs in my relatively short career and got exactly none of them via a job listing.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Oct 20, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

SubNat posted:

e: bonus pet peeve:
Children screaming around in the streets, and then their terrible parents screaming at them louder to make them quiet. (Gee I wonder where they get it from.)

It's the circle of life, man. I used to teach elementary school and the number of parents completely bewildered by the idea that their children emulate their behaviors both good and bad was a constant source of frustration.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Steam reviews are the loving worst. It's everything that's terrible about reddit comment sections; they're generally un-moderated, un-curated and given merit and visibility by vote alone. It makes it incredible susceptible to moronic strings of repetitive memes, in-jokes, and even political soap boxing.

This isn't a fresh take, but I mention it because Halo Wars, a former Xbox exclusive, was recently ported to PC along with some visual and QoL upgrades. Is it worth getting? Who loving knows, the entire review board is a string of mouth breathers demanding that Steam port the rest of the Halo series to PC.

So I guess my pet peeve is that being helpful or insightful or even expressing a relevant opinion is not considered worthwhile.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rome total war 2 steam reviews crashed from “mostly good” to “mostly bad” overnight because they added female characters that made some nazi website mad.

Lmao

Company of Heroes 2 has like a 1.6 on metacritic because some popular russian blogger didn't like all the anti-NKVD "propaganda"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

For the first few months after release, the Steam reviews for Okami were almost entirely people giving it a thumbs down and acting like it was unplayable because it's a 30 FPS game. Nothing about the gameplay or how good of a port it was, just 30 FPS IT'S poo poo CAN'T PLAY IT. Basically the equivalent of Amazon reviews where they give the product one star because it broke when they threw it at their tile floor.

I would hate to make video games for a living. "gamers" have to be the most capricious, fragile, moronic group of people on planet earth.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Goddamn does it ever annoy me when one of my vegan friends tries to get me to eat some plant-based alternative of a good food which they insist tastes "Just as good as the real thing!!!" which isn't ever true unless you haven't had any frame of reference on what dairy or honey or meat tastes like for at least a decade

Let's just get tofu curry or something instead of you dragging me to yet another trendy vegan cafe-shaped monument to self-delusion and misery

Like I don't get off on the exploitation of cows but vegan cheesecake is a culinary travesty

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I really don't understand the existence of fake meat products. They're bad. Objectively bad. Doesn't matter whether you're comparing them to real meat or to other foods that aren't pretending to be meat, they're bad. There are tons of great foods that don't involve animal products and I'll happily eat them any time, but fake meat is always awful and I don't know why anyone eats it. How does a market exist for this stuff?

You got me man, black bean burgers are delicious but anything called "Grillerz" or whatever pretending to be meat? Never good. Never been good. Made primarily to entrap life long carnivores trying to take heed of doctors bearing dire omens is my best guess

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Someone seriously just laid on their horn because they had to stop short when I braked for still traffic. I'm pretty sure I'm not responsible for the distance of the cars behind me? How does that work.

This bothers the gently caress out of me. I'm 100% ready for automated cars, but in the meantime I really wish we could get the point across that drivers are not responsible for what goes on behind them in the lane.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I don't want to pivot things away from cats, but I do volunteer dog training at a local shelter, which involves a lot of socializing and behavior modification in order to make the adoption process smoother and more successful. Usually it's immensely gratifying.

We share our dog walking space with an RV park, and campers very frequently let their dogs roam free or allow them to approach my dogs while yelling "No, it's okay! My dog is friendly!"

My dog is not friendly. He is shy, he is nervous, and he's incredibly stressed out because two weeks ago he had a quiet home and a living owner and now he's stuck in a loud, crowded shelter with none of his familiar toys and bunch of strange dogs. Now a dog he does not know (who is not nearly as nice as reputed) runs right up to him and starts some poo poo. 10 seconds later the owner is in hysterics because their furbaby has new bite marks in their hindquarters.

From here the best case scenario is my adorable little trainee will spend 10 days in quarantine forgetting me, forgetting our training and forgetting what it means to be happy, all because some inconsiderate jackass couldn't follow a leash law or show the minimum level of responsibility for their dog. That's my pet peeve: stupid loving pet owners making my dogs' lives more difficult and delaying their ability to find a new, loving home.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah gently caress the "no no no my babby is different he doesn't need a leash" thing. I love my dog and he is soooo different, you wouldn't understand, he is the best boy. But even though he's 13 and a miniature poodle, he goes out on a leash.

Your doggo is not a person and is not predictable. Your doggo is not the smartest bestest ever (except in your home, where they are, yes they are, who is good :3), they are dumb and will run in front of cars and get in fights with other animals. They will bite. They will endanger themselves. They will hurt other pets if they decide they can and should. They will hurt or scare people. There are people who have dog phobias and their comfort is infinitely more important than your pet's.

And what should be most important to you, IT IS VERY OBJECTIVELY UNSAFE to let your dog run free outside of a designated area.

Preach!

I'm only thankful that the sherrif's department recognizes the unmitigated stupidity of visiting dog owners and refuses to order euthanasia on shelter dogs for biting incidents without the express consent of the shelter director. Saved a lot of good pups with that policy.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Thursday Next posted:

Fat midwestern types who get selective hearing loss when the cabin crew announce that there is no more room for their giant roller suitcases.

Motherfuckers, I travel with a backpack only no matter where I’m heading. And I’m a woman too. No, you don’t need seven pairs of shoes for an overnight in Vegas. If I have to travel with bulky shoes, I wear the bulkiest pair (hiking boots or knee-high high-heeled boots or whatever) and tie the other pair (sandals or running shoes or whatever) to my bag. You don’t need four backup dresses. You don’t need to scoop your entire makeup drawer into a bag.

But if you are going to insist on needing literally your entire bathroom, fixtures and all, then check your god drat bag.

Let those of us who actually have been outside our hometown of Sisterfuck, Arkansas have the space in the overheads for our backpacks and coats. We will be happier not stepping on them all flight and you’ll be happier not having to “gate check” your 50-kg monstrosity.

And don’t loving argue with the cabin crew that it’ll fit if you just... No. it won’t. Trust the cabin crew. They have seen people with your fat rear end and your fat suitcase a thousand times.

A-loving-men

It happens all the time on Southwest, where you get 2 full sized 50 pound checked bags FOR loving FREE PER PERSON and still these jackasses can't go the two hours from Denver to Houston without their blowdryer within arm's reach. I'm over my smug one backpack for a week long trip phase, but I still wish people would just check their loving bags or pare down the amount of bullshit they travel with.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: people who complain that pet adoption prices are too high so we're clearly making a profit on a $200 puppy. Bitch, that pup came to us half dead and needed surgery, and most animals we intake need medical care, and we do not get paid turning our homes into foster homes! These are animals, not humans, the gov doesn't pay us to take them in!

Yessss strongly agree. I can't tell you how many times people have refused to pay $250 for a puppy with all it's shots, registration, chip, and complimentary leash and puppy chow. How cheap do you thing it is to take care of a dog anyway??? And then of course they stick their nose up at adopting a 1-year-old for $50 because it's not as cute.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, my recent watching of Riverdale has given me an anti-peeve.

I know I'm not the target demographic, but Riverdale and Sabrina have both been refreshing in their depiction of gay and transgender youth. It makes me think the kids'll be alright :unsmith:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I can deal with the fact that people take Christmas way too seriously and want to make it a miserable day for themselves but I hate it when they try to rope me into that poo poo

My favorite Christmas ever was about 5 years back when I declined to travel 4 hours round trip to spend the day with my then-girlfriend's wildly extended family exchanging extravagant gifts and sniping at one another and instead opted to spend it in my own living room with my roommate (who was unable to see his own family) smoking weed, making mexican food and play final fantasy 7. It was a contributing factor to me getting dumped and I don't regret a thing.

Christmas is supposed to be a good day, and therefore I want to spend it with my friends and my partner and other people I'm comfortable with instead of navigating a crowd of strangers and their dumb holiday traditions.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

I like the suggestion to respond with a mildly puzzled, but still polite, "...What an odd thing to say," and then carry on with the conversation. S/he is the one being odd in this situation, not you.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this tactic, both professionally and socially.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Andrast posted:

I like my family though. Christmas is just a good excuse to go spend some time with them.

I love my family too but gently caress traveling during the holidays. I waited a long time for that to be the family motto.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Midig posted:

Food recipes found online.

This is easy food you can make at home:

1. Buy 5 billion items, most of them in small quantities, half of them being wares you cannot realistically use up before expiration
2. Spend 2-3 hours making the food because you gotta prep half of it beforehand
3. Give up and buy pizza

Seriously, Indian/Pakistani food is the worst at this and I cannot air out the smell (although it is really good:D) at winter.

Online recipes are my loving bane. Most of them are overly complex, use unnecessary ingredients, and are basically inedible when all is said and done. Rating systems are the worst, too. Most people will rate highly just because a recipe looks good, or rate bad because it's not vegetarian or because they made a bunch of substitutions and it tasted like poo poo. My favorite baked mac and cheese recipe has a bunch of bad ratings because it's over 1000 calories per serving. It's baked mac and cheese! gently caress you!

*My* pet peeve for the day, however, are online cocktail recipes. My problem with these are usually one of the following:

1. It tastes awful. People really love to concoct and post recipes before they ever drink them. The most common culprit is way too much lemon juice. It's not lemonade, stop using it like lemonade!

2. The alcohol ratio is all off. This is especially common with mommy blog cocktails that look fantastic but don't have enough booze to give a hamster a decent buzz. 1/4 cup of vodka sounds like a lot, but split between 4 frozen peach lemonades it's downright homeopathic.

3. Alcoholic popsicles. Not loving worth your time. The volume of liquid going into a popsicle is already relatively small and making them with an ABV above a worthwhile point makes them freeze all weird. You wouldn't know it, though, by how often these recipes get passed around in the summer time. If you're going to throw a fancy pintrest garden party, just do normal adult cocktails with non alcoholic popsicles.

4. It uses a bunch of obscure alcohols or mixers. Kudos to you for inventing a cocktail that uses Midori, Fernet Branca, caramel liqueur, and Orbitz soda but lmao if you think anyone is going to drop $100 just to try it.

5. Dumb loving garnishes. I'm not threading sprigs of rosemary through individual cranberries to place atop my mimosas and gently caress you for insinuating that I should

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Another factor is that people tend not to account for how much a crowd can heat up a house on body heat alone. I had a friend make that mistake when he fired his wood stove during a 40 guest baby shower in the middle of December in Colorado.
20 degrees at best and we had to crack all the windows and the sliding door to keep cool.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So my girlfriend's pet peeve is that I immediately chew on chocolate, like if I have a hershey's kiss or a ghirardelli bar or M&Ms I just chew it up immediately without letting it melt in my mouth AT all and that is my preference but she thinks I'm weird and doesn't want to be in the room.

Maybe I should save it for E/N

Edit: I will also freeze all my chocolate so it is extra crunchy

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Dec 23, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rescue peeve.

So one of our foster cats, Libby, has had a rough go with ear mite treatment and other various illnesses. She is finally well enough to go to adoption events. Diluted calico, very friendly. We drop her off at the event today, and instantly people are looking her over and petting her and she's purring and rubbing against the cage. We're heading out, we'll pick her up later if she doesn't adopted, and as we're leaving, my mom overhears one of the volunteers, who also has cats at the event, telling people not to get calicos because they always turn on you.

She instead leads the people over to her cats. I missed this entirely.

Hours later the event is winding down. My mom heads out to pick her up, and finds a couple petting and playing with Libby and the same oval office, volunteer in a rescue shirt, tells them not to pet her because calicos always turn mean. And takes them over to her cats instead.

At this point it's good I wasn't there because I might be on the news for clocking a bitch and choking her out. What the flying gently caress, you oval office, you do not lie to loving people to try and get your cats adopted! One of the other volunteers said this bitch does this all the time if her cats don't get much attention....and somehow this is allowed to continue.

Peeve: if people ask about an animal, do not loving lie and drag them over to your animals instead because you represent the entire rescue when you loving tell people bullshit about animals!

That's sooooo bitchy

You'd get kicked from my shelter for doing poo poo like that. Who does that?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Does it bother anyone else that Christmas gets dropped as a concept the minute it's no longer profitable to Walmart? Right around New Years my HOA starts complaining that my decorations are still up. Christmas goes until the 5th you consumerist whores! You've had your poo poo up since before Thanksgiving, Brenda, and I didn't complain then! It's not my fault that corporate America starts it on the first of November and ends it at the stroke of midnight on the 25th. We're missing the best part of the holiday, the part where you've already done the decorating and shopping and talking to your family and now you get to stay inside, eat all the food you made or were otherwise gifted, and chill the gently caress out! Nope! Back to work wage slave! gently caress you!

The whole holiday is a loving sham designed to guilt you into giving money you don't have to companies that don't give a flying gently caress about Christmas.

I know none of this is new, and is in fact the subject of countless Christmas movies, but still. I hate it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Indecisive people drive me nuts. It's the first warmish day in 2 months, and my partner and I are going hiking. I think. She's been sitting in a bathrobe at her computer for 3 hours trying to decide where we should go, and I've been sitting around in my hiking boots with a packed bag this entire time. Pretty soon I'm going to eat the lunch I made for the trail right here in the apartment. We've got about 4 hours of daylight left. It doesn't make any difference at all where we go, but it's her turn to choose and I'm being respectful of that. For 3 hours she's been weighing factors like "What if it's muddy?" or "I can't decide if I want to hike next to water". If this process wasn't limited to hiking, menus, and Netflix I don't think our relationship would survive! Good thing I love her SO GODDAMN MUCH AUGHHHHH

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Just a thought, but maybe she doesn't want to go hiking.

I considered this, but dismissed it on account of this being her idea in the first place.

You were right, though, she didn't want to go and didn't want to admit that she changed her mind.

Still love her, despite all.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

mostlygray posted:

My grandpa used to do the same thing. Just circle and circle and circle and circle for half an hour.
This was a man that walked halfway across Europe as a refugee at the end of WWII. He loved walking. His favorite thing was to walk. He walked 2 miles every morning even when he was dying of cancer. The man had no problem walking all day hunting in the mountains

But he wouldn't walk over 50 feet to get inside a store.

I have friends who will gladly hike 10 miles with me on rough terrain at high elevation who on the other hand will circle a lot looking for a spot 30 yards from the door.

Like, we're young(ish) and we've got working legs, why are we taking a spot from someone's arthritic grandma?

My peeve for the day (every day) is lovely dog owners. My neighbor is a dumb loving hipster who moved here to our urban Denver apartment building and immediately decided to adopt a pair of husky pups and train them to be sled dogs (he bought a sled, too). Instead of being a good dog dad, he still spends the entire day and most of the night partying away from his apartment.

Let me tell you, dogs that are A. Neglected B. Young C. Untrained and D. Huskies are basically a perfect storm of loud as gently caress howling at all hours. They're stressed out, they're scared, they're bored, and all so this asshat with an honest to god messenger bag and top knot in tyool 2019 can tell women he's training sled dogs.

I constantly weigh the consequences of absconding with the dogs and taking them to my animal shelter. They'd be adopted before he knew they were even gone.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I was thinking more like make it legal to floor it and tbone the heck out of people like that. Yeah you might get seriously maimed/killed too but hey, sacrifices have to be made if we want civility on the roads.

I'd vote for you.

There should be traffic cops in grocery stores. The number of people who love to get to the center of an aisle, park their cart sideways and crouch in the gap that's left to examine, in detail, the subtle nuances of different brands of canned gravy need to fined or at the very least shot. How can you be so unaware of your surroundings? Do you think the entire store is just for your private perusal? Do you not notice the traffic jam of carts going in both directions lined up all the way to ends of the aisle? gently caress you and the 7 slack-jawed family members you brought with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I meant right now, but I’m in

Also, apparently wal mart premises are statistically very high violent crime areas. Usually the parking lots or backs but in the stores as well.

I can confirm that a lot of drugs are being dealt in basically every Wal-Mart parking lot ever

So if you ever wonder why there's like one guy sitting in his car in the back of the lot, wonder no more.