Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Kommando posted:

MARCH BRISGOON AUSPOL MEET

Where are we eating, when are we eating?

Do we want to return to Sukachi now its reopened and spend $400 on chicken and beer, or go to Mu'ooz like we keep intending to, or shall we pick a new indian place?

Cartoon wants to come and meet early april so im fine with any time/place

That's Anidav? It all makes sense now.

Earlier this week someone asked if we'd actually stopped the boats or if there was proof they were still coming. Here's your answer:

"smh posted:

A small fleet of brightly coloured Vietnamese fishing boats based in Darwin are believed to be replacing the orange lifeboats used by the Customs and Border Protection department to tow back asylum seeker boats that make it to Australian waters.

Fairfax Media understands that 10 red, blue and green wooden boats have been bought by the Customs department from Dragon Industries Asia as "tow back" boats in a multi-million dollar project.

Having succeeded in "stopping the boats", it appears the Abbott government has opted for a cheaper alternative to the orange lifeboats, which cost the government $7.5 million last year.

It is believed each orange lifeboat, which can only be used once, costs about $200,000.

On the Dragon Industries Asia website it confirms that the Customs and Border Protection Department is a client and that it has has tasked the company to deliver 10 "alternative vessels" from "preliminary design".

S/E Asia manager, Marc Brujins, moving 5 specialized transportation craft to a heavy lift vessel for final delivery! pic.twitter.com/njL7D3WKmu — Dragon Ind. Asia (@Dragon_Ind_Asia) October 3, 2014
On its online company profile it says: "Recent projects include: Australian Customs and Border Protection 10 x Alternative transportation vessels Supply, project management and delivery."

"This project was delivered to exceptionally tight deadlines, with final delivery of all vessels within 18 weeks of project inauguration," it says.

"Upon completion of the vessels Dragon was given a repeat order to be delivered by the end of the last quarter in 2014, further enhancing Dragon's ability to service it's [sic] clients quality, delivery and management needs."

In a company tweet, it shows one of the managers Marc Brujins sitting on a tugboat, with the caption, "moving 5 specialized transportation craft to a heavy lift vessel for final delivery!"

The boats are now being stored at Spot on Marine in Darwin. A spokeswoman of the firm told Fairfax Media to contact the Customs department for any further information.

When Dragon Industries Asia was contacted on separate days by Fairfax Media, a spokesman said that the company was actually a software company. Then on a separate call, the spokesman refused to hand over the details of the managing director Tim Clements.

In a Facebook message, the company replied to Fairfax Media inquiries saying: "Please be advised that any information in relation to Operation Sovereign Borders must be obtained from the Australian Government.

The immigration department also did not deny the boats had been procured, refusing to answer questions on why the boats had been brought or for what purpose.

A spokesman said: "Customs and Border Protection uses a variety of vessels to prepare for and perform its maritime tasks."

We spent 7.5 million on orange life boats last year, each one costs 200,000. That's 37.5 boats last year, roughly. So no, we haven't stopped the boats. The fact the government is seeking cheaper alternatives, and thus more dangerous alternatives, would indicate the boats continue to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Graic Gabtar posted:

The boats were stopped and then the passengers and crew were sent back.

That would count as a boat being stopped.

As I had understood it when the government told us they would stop the boats they said they would stop the boats from leaving to come here, not that they would just stop the boats arriving. The difference is subtle but important.

Stopping the boats from leaving follows the line of thinking that we need to stop the deaths at sea - the actual reasoning used.

Stopping the boats from arriving follows the line that you're racist - the reasoning you've followed for some reason.

They have been telling us that by turning back the boats the flood of refugees coming to Australia by boat has stopped, it's disingenuous - and a form of lying, to say that they've stopped coming. They haven't, we simply continue to turn them around.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Hi there.

Be it:

- Turned back at sea
- Stopped by Indonesia
- Discouraged by others attempts
- Whatever else

The boats have stopped.

Yes. They have stopped arriving.

Thank you for finally revealing, definitively that you are a racist. It was pretty obvious before now but there was always the benefit of a doubt.

If there are un-seaworthy asylum boats at sea, if they are being piloted by people with no experience controlling a boat, then there is a good chance there are still people dying at sea. But the brown people have finally stopped. Praise Jesus, because Jesus knew everyone has a place, but that place isn't necessarily Australia.

I just want to let you know, it's okay to be racist. It's probably not your fault, I mean, I don't know you personally. I'm sure there's some deep seated trauma there where a homeless person scared you, or maybe you're just parroting your parents views about non-whites. But it is important that everyone is aware of your racism so they can bare it in mind when you're discussing other topics. Like how you tried to discuss indigenous affairs, as a racist this is probably a bad thing for you to discuss as your racist views colours (ha-ha) your viewpoint to the extent that you can't see beyond your stereotyping.

For everyone else who might tell me it's not okay to be racist. Consider this. The crocodile is an animal that will happily eat a child, it is his nature. We don't blame the crocodile for this, we simply fence him off. Don't blame this man for his racism, just fence his horrid opinions away and don't let him have any influence over anything.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

surely then you'd just kidnap the executives of any company whose details weren't published.

Or crack open the Forbes list.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...318-1m23mx.html

quote:

Independent senator Glenn Lazarus is demanding Tony Abbott apologise for describing the Senate as "feral" and warned the Prime Minister's comments may hamper negotiations on future legislation.

In a fiery exchange during the Senate question time, Attorney-General George Brandis suggested the Senate was overreaching in its role, behaving like a "House of Refusal" instead of a "House of Review".

Mr Abbott made the "feral" remark in the Coalition party room on Tuesday, telling MPs the government was dealing with a "feral" Senate when it came to passing budget measures.

Glenn Lazarus has described Tony Abbott's "feral" comment as "appalling" and "disrespectful".
Glenn Lazarus has described Tony Abbott's "feral" comment as "appalling" and "disrespectful". Photo: Andrew Meares
"Did the Prime Minister have any senator in mind when he referred to the Senate crossbench as "feral" and is the Prime Minister going to apologise to each and every one of us for such an appalling and disrespectful statement?" Senator Lazarus asked.

Advertisement

Senator Brandis replied: "The Prime Minister certainly didn't say that about the crossbench…and it may be that the Prime minister had some senators in mind Senator Lazarus, but if he did it wasn't you.

"I suggest you look to your right and to your immediate left if you want a clue as to who the Prime Minister [might have been referring to]."

Senator Lazaurus sits between Labor's Lisa Singh and Greens senator Rachel Siewert in the upper house chamber.

Greens Leader Christine Milne leapt to her feet, demanding the Attorney-General withdraw the remark arguing it could be taken to refer to Senator Siewert.

"I would be horrified to think that she would be referred to as feral and I would ask the Attorney-General to withdraw it," Senator Milne demanded.

Senate President Stephen Parry refused to grant Senator Milne a point of order. At this point Labor's leader in the Senate Penny Wong pointed out to the President that Senator Milne had been seeking a retraction and not a point of order.

"Can you just clarify, what did you want to have withdrawn Senator Milne?" President Parry asked after complaining of poor hearing due to noise in the chamber.

"That I'm feral," interjected Senator Siewert.

"Was it actually me that Senator Brandis then was referring to as feral?" Senator Singh asked.

Senator Brandis told Senator Lazarus that while the government respects the senators personally as well as their constitutional positions the government was frustrated with their obstruction.

"The Senate, Senator Lazarus should be a Chamber of Review, a House of Review not a House of Refusal," the Attorney-General said.

"Yet time and time again at the insistence of the Labor Party and the Greens to which I'm sorry to say, the crossbench Senators on occasions have joined, have blocked important legislation," he said.

The Attorney-General cited Tuesday night's failure to pass the higher education legislation which would have uncapped university fees, and said the senators had dealt a terrible setback to the sector.

Crossbenchers rejected the legislation for a second time fearing the policy would send the cost of degrees skyrocketing.

Senator Lazarus also asked whether "such language" would be "helpful" when it comes to future positive negotiations with the Senate crossbench.

The comment has left other crossbenchers unimpressed.

Fellow Palmer United Party defector Jacqui Lambie said she found the comment "disturbing" and "disrespectful". Senator Lambie has previously described the Prime Minister as a "psychopath".

When asked for comment, Independent Senator Nick Xenophon said "I think the PM's being completely unfair - in all my dealings with Cory Bernardi he's been an absolute gentleman."

The video is really something else. Just watch it, it's insane. This is why the government can't get legislation passed, they are idiots and trying to say 'That's not what he meant' isn't fooling anyone.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Endman posted:

This is just like the "direct action" climate policy.

Stop paying companies not to do things and start legislating for gently caress's sake. You're the government, act like it.

Woah. Harsh. We all know this is a responsible grown-up government who have a firm grasp of finances. They are fiscally responsible. That is why their first response to an issue is to literally throw money at it and hope it goes away.

In other news our projected surplus will arrive in 2340.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Alright, arguing with racists in my community. Trying very hard not to tell them all to crawl into a hole and die.

It would be useful to have information on how much we spend on social welfare compared to how much we spend on corporate welfare/subsidies.

I've had a look but I can't find the direct comparisons, I know they exist because I've seen them before (in this thread I think) but whatever I type into google is only giving me bits and pieces rather than totals or direct comparisons. My newborn is teething so I can't sit down and crunch the numbers myself.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Konomex posted:

Alright, arguing with racists in my community. Trying very hard not to tell them all to crawl into a hole and die.

It would be useful to have information on how much we spend on social welfare compared to how much we spend on corporate welfare/subsidies.

I've had a look but I can't find the direct comparisons, I know they exist because I've seen them before (in this thread I think) but whatever I type into google is only giving me bits and pieces rather than totals or direct comparisons. My newborn is teething so I can't sit down and crunch the numbers myself.

If anyone has a breakdown of welfare for how much is spent on Indigenous Affairs, Pensioners etc that'd be awesome too. Lots of old racists in my area. Taking fistfuls of cash for themselves whilst complaining about supporting remote communities.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

There is minimal evidence that Mike Baird hasn't, at some point in his life, eaten a live human baby. Can you trust a man who lacks enough alibis?

Don't elect a possible cannibal, elect a wooden plank, at least a plank can't eat your infant flesh.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I recant my previous statement, this plank has clearly eaten a kindergarten of children.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

cpaf posted:

Reminder that Joe Hockey literally cried in parliament at the thought of asylum seeker children being separated from their parents

Reminder that Joe Hockey's tears are 82% bacon fat.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Brayds2006 posted:

"Queensland, not content with NSW winning the worst state trophy from them, plans to go all out for next year's contest."

Woah.

What about WA? Ignore our massive new national park, we still have 'stroke face Barnett' in power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Seriously doubt anyone will notice a difference in quality of service.

Sadly they probably won't.

• Locked thread