Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I walked up to LCS 3 while she was fitting out and got a tour. They were great about it, they showed me around even though they were preparing for a CODEL visit. The STG2 showing me around said the only drawback was that he was essentially doing the same job he did as an E-3, the crew is so small only the chiefs have anyone to supervise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Newport question: If I'm flying in to OCS the day before my class convenes, am I on the hook for lodging the night before? My orders say no, my recruiter gave me a non-answer, the website says yes.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm almost positive that you do get reimbursed. Especially if your orders say so.

Also, if there's no room on base, don't stay at the Pineapple Inn out in town.

Thanks. There's space available, so at least I won't be sleeping in a dumpster the night before. It'll be crappy, but I've got my dream designator waiting for me on the other side so it ain't nothin' but a thing. I'll be back sperging about LCS in three months or so.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, it kind of is. Especially if you're overseas (just as a point), contracting that poo poo out takes a loooooooong time. You basically want to get a move date solidified and in the system the minute you get your orders. (Not to say you didn't.)

Speaking of, does anyone have experience with ditty moves? I found out today I might wind up having to move next week or the week after rather than two months from now. I'm not going all that far (5 hours drive away), so renting a U-Haul isn't a big deal.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Do you have a family? I DITY moved from North Carolina to California as a Marine and even though I made around $2,500 after expenses, I'd never do it again. Moving is a lot of work and packing your stuff well enough to where it doesn't break is time consuming and costs money for materials. In the end, it wasn't worth the little bit of money I made compared to the amount of effort I spent.

If it's more a matter of necessity than any attempt to make money, the process isn't hard. I am pretty sure the navy does the self counseling thing online for moves. Write in that you want to DITY move, rent a uhaul and have it weighed empty, fill it with your poo poo and weigh it again (keep the weigh slips for both) and move your stuff. Keep receipts for all your expenses. What you show it cost you to move yourself will be how much of your payment is tax exempt. Any money paid in excess of what you have receipts for spending will be taxed.

It's more a matter of necessity, because this might wind up happening much faster than the normal PCS process can. Knowing that the process is pretty straightforward helps a lot, thanks.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Zeris posted:

I assume it's still my obligation to talk this guy out of enlisting, right?

Yeah. At the very least, he can submit an officer package while simultaneously doing the enlisting process. 2.01 is bad, but the acceptance rate for aviation is VERY high right now. As in, no, really, it was 97 loving percent not too long ago. Unless no less than two separate recruiters at two separate recruiting stations tell him that 2.01 cannot even be submitted to the board, he should do that. THAT SAID: aviation has the lowest quality requirements right now because they screen in different ways. People are not medically screened for aviation in any meaningful way before shipping to OCS, and often find that they aren't qualified for dumb, easily found reasons. If that happens, your buddy may not be afforded the opportunity to commission into another community.

If he must enlist, CT/IT/IS will give decent quality of life but it's unrealistic to expect to be able to drop an OCS package before your first enlistment is up.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

methlab messiah posted:

You take that back. My degree of Applied Science in Technical Studies is gonna open a lot of doors.

Including the door to OCS, apparently. I was shocked how many people didn't have real degrees.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Kerry: Shooting down Russia jets 'would have been justified'

quote:

"It is reckless. It is provocative. It is dangerous. And under the rules of engagement, that could have been a shoot-down."
He added that the US "is not going to be intimidated on the high seas" and that a message had been conveyed to Russia over the danger of such a gesture.

:q:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

By the time he's an O6 up for command the only CGs left in the fleet will be on their way out the door. It's a dying platform and has been on life support for years.

I think they experimented with making Cowpens an O-4 command. Lots of opportunities there if you connect with the right people

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

Fallon.txt

:(

The Tidewater isn't usually the most exciting place in the world, but anytime it gets me down I think, "it's not Fallon or Lemoore"

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

hogmartin posted:

Show of hands, who's actually still in the loving Navy vs. who's just here because they got out a decade ago and sometimes miss talking Navy to people who who know wtf they're talking about.

What's up with people coming in the building through the door on their left, amirite? :PO2 Seinfeld:

Fresh faced butterbar here. I have plenty to bitch about already, but I'm still in a training command. My is community small enough and my mouth big enough that stuff might get back to me.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

The current Chiefs are not going to like it and will be dead in the water for further promotion.

Couldn't they just split the difference and make them warrants?

Dammit, you beat me on this by a couple minutes. Yeah, it'd be a much better fit. There are less than 2,000 warrants vs. an entrenched community of probably around 27,000 chiefs. LDO might work too, because legally it's a much more temporary status than warrant or standard commissioned officer.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Isn't this what DoD civilians with high GS numbers are for?

At the very least you could make a non-traditional E-7/O-6 do their jobs or fire them. There's no recourse against a GS, they can simply refuse to do something as long as they're not interested in promotion.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I got this reference.

Same.

Grumpicat, if you're interested/willing/able to do the officer thing, IPs (1820s) just plain get either NPS or a leading civilian institution to get a CS related master's as their second tour. It's not just "available", as of now it's literally what the Navy sends you to do without additional OBLISERV.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Is there a sailor in your life that you hate? Someone you desperately want to suffer, but do not have the legal grounds to hurt them or dock their pay? Instead, try sending them to the Basic Security Manager's Course!

...seriously, this is the single worst Navy training course I or any of my colleagues in the class have ever taken. It's three 7 hour days where two retired staff NCOs read ppts to you word for word, no, really, they stare at the screen and read and throw in a "it would BE-HOOOOVE you to..." every so often. It's a place where they'll open with "You guys already know this, so I'm not going to read it," and then charge right on ahead reading paragraphs straight off a page. I honestly and without a hint of irony recommend this as a punishment.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Walked in the door at my first operational command this week. Looks like Pokemon hasn't hit VA Beach too hard yet

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Null Integer posted:

gently caress her. Like... Holy loving poo poo, and then act like it's all better because of a good heart to heart.

I was waiting for the punchline where she gets fired or worse and it never came.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I've wanted to join since I was pretty young, I actually wanted to enlist out of high school, but a combination of family and just not having my poo poo together at 18 gave me pause. Now I'm out of school and I thought things out I want this, even after hearing some of my friends who were in the service give me the great list of reasons not to do it, I still want to do it.

Just understand that what you sign isn't a true guarantee you'll make it to flight school. Aviation is very medically restrictive, and there might be something wrong with your body that they frown upon - even if it doesn't effect your day to day life in any way. The real medical screening will happen while you're actually at OCS, and you may be disqualified from flying but still obligated to serve as an officer in another designator. (You can quit, but the discharge you receive is an eyebrow-raiser when applying for government jobs. It's not bad, just something that'll raise questions)

Having finally hit The Fleet, Airwarriors seems kind of weird because there are butterbars and O-3s on that forum that seem jussst fine with random candidates calling them "sir".

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Has anyone who has lived in a particularly noisy part of the ship ever used noise canceling headphones/earbuds to sleep? Normal flange earplugs just didn't quite cut it for me living under the cat during my first underway.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, looks like I've got some hearing to lose. At least I can take out my nasty, sleep deprived moods on the wretched souls assigned to my watchfloor :unsmith:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Back from my first decent sized underway period. The rating drop went over a lot better than expected, most people I encountered just kind of rolled their eyes and got on board with it. That said, my entire boat existence happens between the wardroom, my work dungeon, and my rack, so all those weird people who work below the hangar might have been upset idk.

This post redeemable for one (1) wardroom waffle aboard GHWB.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Minority report: some of the best changes to have ever come to the Navy happened more or less like this. Zumwalt's beards, beer on ships, kicking the then two century old tradition of wearing full dress uniform to every meal, it all happened with him pushing the "NAVADMIN" button in his office without telling anyone outside of his immediate staff. Putting chiefs in khaki got unironic opposition in congress. Big Z once said that if there's a change you want to make and it's 60/40 for/against, "do it and see how loud the screaming is".

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Didn't they already start a pilot program for easier cross-rating a few months back? Something about if there was a reasonable similarity/need between your actual assigned duties and another NEC, you could go to school to pick it up? The petty officer change might benefit some of the people who work for me in that case. Ashore they perform the duties of a YN with a special NEC, at sea they're actually ISs. I'd love to be able to send them to a quick school so they can have two NOSs instead of one NEC that usually doesn't describe what they actually do.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Because I ordered everyone to be happy.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

If you do apply, make sure to include the various information warfare communities on your application. They're highly selective, but you have nothing to lose in adding them onto your list of 5 choices. They all offer a pretty solid quality of life with a wide array of potential assignments and career opportunities. Let me put it this way: retention is good enough that promotion rates to O-4 are dropping and there are zero retention bonuses.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Null Integer posted:

gently caress. Not another one. The navy won't fix your life, just make it more miserable.

This is becoming slowly more evident for me every day. Doesn't matter than I'm an officer - the Navy finds a way.

ded posted:

All of the people you put down on your security clearance form will get a visit from an underpaid, overworked government contractor.

As long as your contact is not literally in jail or is not a hillbilly obviously deeply involved in meth production you should be good. They're looking to establish a history, basically an accounting of your whereabouts. This filters out people who are blatantly and completely lying about their identity.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I deploy shortly after the inauguration. I was about 99% sure of where I was going and what I was going to do yesterday, today I'm about 30% sure.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

Contractor, making sure the different services actually train together rather than hiding in their own corners playing with themselves.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this was the Navy thread. I was an AF officer, but contract for the Navy now.

I can't believe I didn't piece this together, but did you work the last Air Wing Fallon? If so, I think we might have met briefly.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

I did indeed. I'm guessing you were in Titan for an ATP when I was loitering?

I was the butterbar briefer with the outrageous callsign. I felt like I was always running into a group of contractors, thought one of them might be you.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

In the little MP rooms? I sat through one of those briefings, too. Not sure how many ensigns there were, though. Mostly I only interacted with the AWACS/RJ/E2/EP3/P3/P8 dudes. But I was bouncing around the MP rooms for a week, too.

Since you've apparently commissioned, what's your new career field?

Intel type, with the wing. I didn't talk too much with the ISR/Controller folks though, maybe poked my head in that area once or twice. We probably walked by each other in the hallway. I was the white guy of average height and build, remember? Oh, wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

gently caress you if you're in.

Catching up on this thread after a month underway, I saw that someone said you could follow poster's careers around here as they slide downward into bitterness. It's true, and here is my next entry. This round at sea taught me that I hate being in a room with a bunch of intel officers arguing about what they think is going to happen next. Worse, I realize now, my voice was among theirs, using the elegant sounding words that I'd read in a thinkpiece...already I become what I hate.

• Locked thread