Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Applewhite posted:

Question for enlisted Goons:

When your DIVO has a job for you and he says "We need to take care of whatever task" when he of course really means you need to take care of it, is it more annoying than if he just comes right out and says "You need to do this" or does him saying "we" make you feel more like part of a team?

Asking for a friend.

How much support are you willing to provide to remove administrative roadblocks to completing the assignment? Saying we suggests a certain level of officer assistance in pushing things through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

germskr posted:

Question about correcting a senior person (LDO).

So this guy is all about uniform regulations and whatnot, which is fine but he stopped someone the other day and was hemming them up about attention to detail, etc. I couldn't help but notice his MA badge was not according to regulations (flush to the US Navy tape if it's the cloth badge, 1/4 inch if it's metal- and he's wearing the cloth with the 1/4 inch gap.) Normally I don't care about things like that but I thought it was ironic that he was correcting someone when he himself was not in accordance with regulations. How does one go about "correcting" a senior person who thinks he's God's gift to the Navy?

Why bother putting yourself on their radar? As fun as it is to see you can be the biggest pedant its probably not worth the attention, particularly if hes the type of person that likes going around ranting about uniform regs.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sir Lucius posted:

Well gently caress. I just got an EP. Guess it's time to study for advancement exams and be the spite of all my peers.

Time to start coasting until you advance

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i mean like, i guess i could just get adsepped and boogey on out of the navy with my top secret clearance, but that would feel like a pretty BM move.
does adsep carry the same negative connotations that OTH or DH does when applying for government/civilian positions?

edit: also one of the pdf's he sent me was an already filled out life insurance policy of an airman lol

ADSEPs can carry a variety of dismissal types as its just a separation process IIRC. Why don't you contact your LPO or whoever and make sure this ps3 isn't a retard?

I don't know anything about the reserves but have you not spoken to anyone in your chain about this? They'd have much more relevant information for you

Edit: Jesus you guys seem to get pretty bent out of shape over evals.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 20, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

i basically don't have a chain of command. haven't got my bonus, haven't drilled, wanted to start IDW class but was told I won't be able to until i'm gained and am in a unit.
and then i was never gained, every week i called, still wasn't gained, then i got this email.

It seems you've hit an insurmountable obstacle. Looks like navy Intel might not be for you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Arione posted:

guess we're about to find out. I check out in a few months. . . till then.

You're whining about the eval process is tired ground. If you don't want to play the game get out of the navy and experience a somewhat less institutionalised version of the same thing. At no point has the navy or even American society ever been close to a meritocracy.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

No need to advance when you die in a training accident though

I thought this through

gently caress the dumb poo poo ruin your career in New Orleans.

Also learn how to Ocean fish in the gulf. Best part of the country for eating if you ignore the various health implications of eating from the same waters that deepwater happened in.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SpaceJustice posted:

When I was a student at prototype in New York I pissed off a lot of the selectees by walking past their burger sale and buying a burger at the cafe instead. It was actually a little surprising how upset they got.

All the chicken selects I met in the nuke pipeline were surprisingly relaxed as they had not been fixed yet. Plus training at MARF was a collective misery that seemed to make things a bit more laid back.

The poo poo they got into at Kingsbay on the other hand. Saw a little obstacle course set up with fog machines and firetrucks that we were threatened to stay the gently caress away from

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 9, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

MCM: It's like the Tin Can Navy but wood and it's 2015.

Don't they have to pull in every month or so while deployed? Sounds like a dream come true.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reacon posted:

Underways on MCMs are stretched. 2 weeks feels like 2 months, and 45 days is pretty much everything is breaking and supply is serving chef boyardee. On the bright side I've never seen so much varied experience as an ET anywhere else.

Skimmer privilege is a real thing. You're triggering me.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Better step up your e-stalking game there sir. You're getting bad intel

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Analogical posted:

Maybe a wise course of action would be testing all qualified sailors again, seeing what the majority got right and then restructuring the pins around what is ultimately used, taking into account rating-specific knowledge.

I don't think further reducing the scope of training to tribal knowledge is a worthwhile training platform. Its essentially the process that the qual program seems designed to avoid. Just keep qual cards up to date with equipment and procedural revisions and the program should continue to function effectively. Having to look up correct answers to obscure system characteristics should be informative to both the person giving the checkout and the person receiving the checkout.

Getting qualified was easy. The whole process was easily one of the most valuable aspects of the whole navy experience imo

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 11, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

You could always just get out and get paid to go to college to dick around for 3-4 years making roughly the same as your military pay just by subbing in bullshit jobs here and there that you can absolutely just say gently caress off and quit.

Basically, if the navy is trying to get you out, gently caress it roll with it and go loving live.

Note this does not apply if you have a fat wife/kids.

Hey Mr.Nice you're going to lawschool on Voc Rehab right? I don't have PMs but I was wondering if I could get some gouge from you on that whole process as I've heard they're pretty reluctant to pay for lawschool. my email is knun366@gmail.com

No dickpics with faces plz

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ded posted:

The cool thing about loving up and starting at e-1 is realizing that you could have forced the recruiter to give you e-3 before you signed anything.

Hope you get e-5 first time you're up, took me 2 trys and I did the stupid starting at e-1 thing too. Never got paid for e-5 but I did get to waste a bunch of money changing my uniforms for it!

I thought you were a nuke? Were you some type of corner? My gip reality is cracking

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Finally got my orders. Going home to the USS Couch. Leaving Pensacola on Tuesday and have to check in Monday. Kind of a long drive and I was hoping to sight see besides roadkill on the I10. Only thing I'm going to really stop for is the WW2 museum in New Orleans.

You should check the NOLA.com calendar for events in new orleans. I think oyster fest is coming up and there are tons of events all summer long there.

Edit: Actually you just missed oyster fest. Doesn't really matter though its pretty easy to have a good time in new orleans.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Need to find a good place to eat. Any personal favorites?

Baccanal is great to start or end a sophisticated evening with a shitload of wine and spirits and good food. You should go to Crabby jacks. It is an excellent place to get a poboy. Outside of that there are tons of good places to go eat, its hard to go wrong. Its also crawfish season so stopping by any seafood shop and getting 5+lbs and a sixpack of beer makes for a great outdoor lunch.

Willie Mae's scotch house opened up an uptown location if you want to have the best fried chicken of your life.

Edit: Also make sure to have a dozen oyster appetizer at any restaurant that serves them. They're dirt cheap relative to other parts of the country.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 6, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ryand-Smith posted:

My command does that as well, because they care about fitness. They also made 3.4 plus on the CTE get you a special lib chit and that has helped improve morale here as well. Honestly this place is great I like my ship, but I am honestly blessed to be on it to be honest.

He's close to the edge, convincing himself.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Just visited New Orleans. Spent most of a day at museums and yeah they hilariously in denial on how awful they were during antebellum times. State rights! Woo! Freedom!

Just not for darkies duh.

WW2 museum was pretty cool but not on heavy on the artifacts as Pensacola navy flight museum. I'd say a great place for starters.

Octaroon balls were super hosed up. Legally if all your grandparents were white you were white. The children of Octaroons and a white mother/father would therefore be "white" so all the rich old dudes in the surrounding area would have these little get together to solicit mistresses. In exchange their children would be provided for and educated.

My middle school history teacher emphasized that the civil war was about states rights about two dozen times during the week we learned about it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

How do you qual for something and not know it though?

ahahahhahahahahahhaha

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

does the navy have any instruction on the use of hemp products?
like those hemp seed drinks/cbd oil for cooking/vaping etc

I don't understand this question

Edit: you mean like a local base instruction more stringently stating not to do drugs?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

oh no, they're plenty cool and stuff, i just never had access to their products when i needed them

1UPs don't work the same way in CS:GO

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

poopkitty posted:

The director of fleet maintenance is a reservist. Which I think is odd, but she seems cool, so whatevs.

Everyone blazes that poo poo anyway so it makes sense?

gently caress maintenance

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Sky fireworks have been going off over my town for the last week. Every night is a constant barrage. I hate living in the only town for miles that allows fireworks.

You loving commie dog you watch your mouth

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Cerekk posted:

All the people I know who got out for any reason went on to be much happier on the outside.

Even most of the guys I met at failure div while being processed for my DUI seemed to land on their feet, provided they didn't get worse than a general or adsep.

Magical times

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

The turkey legs for dinner are delicious. The only caffeine available is in the diet coke and green tea bags(suck on them). You can most likely sell your dental floss as a gum replacement a few weeks in.
Take nutrigrain bars from breakfast and hide them in the space of your backpack the allows it be extended. Cookies are not so good for this because they are too round.
Take your lubiderm skin lotion to one of the heads between your divisions room. Nobody likes an active-jerker in the division head.

Jeez bootcamp is alot harder when you're as old as dirt huh? That's quite the list for folding school

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sir Lucius posted:

Eh, the Navy's not so bad. Boot sucks sure, and you'll be poo poo on for a year or 2, but when you do make E5 it's pretty cool.

loving bullshit. both times I put on e-5 sucked

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

squarerandom posted:

I'm on shore duty atm so technically I can wear the fuzzies but ehhhh

Just buy new boots even if they're not completely in regs and no one will notice? Spend some of my tax dollars and live in comfort

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mad Dragon posted:

They being your feet. gently caress those things. The chukkas, not your feet.

Dude don't be a pussy she ship-mated you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

They used that poo poo on navy.mil too, so hi res there. I also got my ESWS on the last day of deployment. I had just spent three days camping out on the beach at LeJeune and I smelled terrible and had a beard. Can't wait to get the pics back.

The recidivism rate in this country is a sad reflection of our broken society.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

I remember when I was stupid enough to think I would be around highly fit people in my job and welp.

Heh when I got to my A school I was blown away by the submarine landwhales that stalked the corridors there. Being a khaki submarine nuke seemed to insulate them from weight regs pretty effectively

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Analogical posted:

PRD window slaps shut and I didn't get a quota. :toot: Now that I'm done, CTN opened the door to my year group and rank. To add insult to injury the department is forcing me to tutor the people now going to JCAC. Most have never even used a computer for more than Facebook. "So an IP is eight octets right?"

Also :lol: @ Coleman's bio.

"San Francisco Bay Area native Von R Coleman was born the day after his parents saw Star Wars for the first time"

Welcome Aboard

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Seperation orders in hand.

Later Navy.

Everything listed look like an improvement.

I hate the sea and everything in it

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey guys quick question. I'm considering moving up to port orchard, WA for contract work and to be closer to navy stuff. After buying a house I'll have a decent little bit left over and I'm considering getting in the rental business.
What makes an apartment attractive to naval personnel?
Besides close access to bars and strip clubs. OK?
Privacy and thick sound proof walls. Not being reminded of work. Cost being as close to e5 BAH as possible?

I've heard a lot of complaints about housing near base and I thought it would be an interesting market to explore.

Junior enlisted gently caress up their homes like its no big thing
Hope you enjoy running peeps down through their commands after they xfer so you can sue for damage. With that said triangulation between base and nightlife was my major concern

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

germskr posted:

I make fun of the Navy just as much as any goon here, but you seem to have an obsession with hating it. Why did you join in the first place?

Anyone remember the shirts that would be half utility and half khaki with a crow on one collar and an anchor on the other for selectees to transition?
gently caress the navy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ded posted:

my board for my fish was like 2hr or so. i got off really god drat easy since they only asked me to draw 1 system. most people have to draw at least 4 or 5.

Non-nuke for us was 1 in rate 1 nuke and 1 whatever with an in depth run down of in rate typically. For nukes it was 4 non-nuke systems and how they might effect the plant if they could. Other than that alot of casualty run through scenarios and locations of essential DC equipment

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

Help me understand where as an E-3 temporarily assigned to a school I was supposed to unfuck this situation when a Chief tells me daily "We'll give you word" and no time to get to admin during business hours, thanks.

Uhh bring it up the day before you leave?

At least you'll have another shot at BJOTY! Fair winds and following seas

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

PneumonicBook posted:

The tests are graded on a curve with a passing score so incredibly low that you might be an actual retard if you ever fail an advancement exam.

Not studying at all is really an awful move regardless of reasoning by the way.

if you study for an advancement exam you don't work enough

ftn

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

orange juche posted:

Probably not, according to my CMC he's seen several people make less than a 35 on their test, which I thought was loving impossible.

People xmas tree their tests all the time? Its pretty easy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

LOL you poor saps have to take tests to advance? The Marine Corps lets you advance through the lower enlisted ranks by measuring poo poo that counts, Physical Fitness Tests and Rifle Scores. Those were both instrumental in teaching me to load ships and planes better.

always felt safer hearing KILL when the marines would pt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Anita Dickinme posted:

Stenciling for a third of boot camp has given me valuable life lessons.

Idiot boot camp doesn't teach you poo poo dumb gently caress

Edit: Well that's not entirely true. It teaches you how to hate.

• Locked thread