Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Fart Sandwiches posted:

You've been in less than 6 months and they have already caused you great rear end pain.

navy.txt

he's so old he got hemorrhoid surgery in bootcamp instead of getting his wisdom teeth pulled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Question for enlisted Goons:

When your DIVO has a job for you and he says "We need to take care of whatever task" when he of course really means you need to take care of it, is it more annoying than if he just comes right out and says "You need to do this" or does him saying "we" make you feel more like part of a team?

Asking for a friend.

it doesn't matter you still suck since you delivered the news

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

cg combo cover is gay I agree but it's easy to read from like 2ly away

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

lol at both sides here

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Evals in civilian jobs are dumb too.

mine doesn't have any effect on promotion potential and can't be used in future hiring decisions, so yep.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Flikken posted:

That was an accomplishment? :stare:

in the same sense that the dui counter hitting 180 is, sure

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Flikken posted:

I work in the same industry as he did, different company, and in my 6 years I have only seen 4 accidents and 1 lost piece.

I don't think you caught my meaning

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

DustyNuts posted:

Anyone been to the helo dunker? I'm going this week. Any tips n' tricks?

it isn't fun hungover

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

orange juche posted:

Lol at this basic boot bitch so bitter and he hasn't even reached his follow on school, you're gonna go far kid

Everyone warned you and warned you and you didn't listen and now you are bent over ankles grabbed and getting uncle sam's big cock shoved up your rear end with no lube, congrats

pretty sure it's actually his second time around

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

orange juche posted:

Q: get out of navy yes/no, ive got a year left in my contract, any orders i take i will need to obliserv for. my teacher orders got cancelled, and I haven't obliserved yet, so I am at that wonderful part of career where all options are open.

I'm leaning heavily towards yes, but when would be the best time to drop that bomb on the command, because it is guaranteed that saying gently caress YOU GOT MINE is gonna piss a lot of people off, and I will get sent to a lovely TAD within a week or 2.

well you can't really criticize ol maffew here if you don't get out yourself

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Angry Fish posted:

(which means your spouse needs to take time off work)

I don't think this is much of a concern for most

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

poopkitty posted:

I would wager that 95% of the folks who wish to opt-out of SBP are dual-working or dual mil couples. VERY few folks with stay at home spouses will be opting out. It is MUCH harder to opt out than it should be, and it's blatant robbery. It's offensive.

it was a joke

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I was just giving you a hard time. I've met several goons who are here for school or whatever and it turns out only a few of us are 100 lbs overweight with no social skills.

its you, you're the guy

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

rude

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I haven't really marched for two months due to a nagging foot injury. I'm seeing the podiatrist on Monday. I'm hoping for a cortisone shot so I can start running again.
I wear black tennis shoes so I'm not that noticeable but I get called out daily with apologies for not having my pants bloused.

I really want your navy story to eventually end that you were in for like 8 months and got medically retired at some ridiculous rating due to a foot injury at great lakes

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Sir Lucius posted:

I just dont really enjoy bars that much. Unless it's like a fancy whiskey bar and they have 100's of whiskeys to try. Last time I got a flight of Japanese whiskey, which in addition to the setting is the gooniest thing I could do.

japanese whisky is actually loving great so it's not that goony at all, unless you were drinking it with your body pillow

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Howard Phillips posted:

Alas it will never happen but one can dream. It would mean DOD wide reform, but even going towards something like the GS pay scale would make more sense. Everybody is on the same pay system and appropriately compensated based on experience/responsibility/ability. Get rid of toxic cultures such as goat locker etc...

The divide still exists within the GS pay structure, and definitely between GS/W* schedules.

e: there's even some gay little rating scrapfights between certain job-series codes

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

orange juche posted:

holy poo poo it's like people who get poached out of active duty into a gs job carry their dumb gay bullshit with them

they do, it's usually funny to watch too

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Possibly. I'm just 37. Good to hear Washington is sweet. Really gonna try hard for it.

parts of washington are sweet, and that's to exclude psns and its immediate vicinity

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok how are the areas withing an hour of the major naval yards and bases? I was looking at Port Orchard as possible place to relocate but something closer to Seattle seemed decent. Bear in mind I'm from the Bay Area CA so traffic is not a big deal.

Silverdale/Port Orchard/Illahee/Brownsville/Keyport/Poulsbo are nice places to live. Do not live in west Bremerton, or East Bremerton. There's kind of an ok area between Silverdale and Bremerton named Tracyton. Manette is ok within Bremerton as well, I guess. If you are ok with living further out of town, Seabeck, Allyn, Olalla and areas around that. I grew up in the area and hate Port Orchard for irrational reasons so I pretty much think that place loving sucks no matter what. I live on Bainbridge but wish I lived in Kingston, so... There's some areas.

If you want to end up in Everett for some reason, Edmonds or Mukilteo would be cool. Whidbey is nice no matter where you go. Indian Island is next to Port Townsend which is nice. Am I missing anything?

Anyway -- traffic on the Kitsap side is, indeed, not a big deal. If you have to spend any time on I5 in Seattle or I90 in Seattle ... well, you're going to regret it. Commuting via ferry isn't bad. When I was still in the CG I rode to Seattle every day, and back.

Bangor or Keyport are the bases to be at. I guess NAS Whidbey is probably alright though. Everything else sucks. When I said immediate vicinity, by the way, I meant like within 2 miles of PSNS. Excluding Manette, specifically.

Red Crown posted:

Newport question: If I'm flying in to OCS the day before my class convenes, am I on the hook for lodging the night before? My orders say no, my recruiter gave me a non-answer, the website says yes.

It's your travel day, you should be reimbursed the lodging / 75% of the daily meal rate.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

So I'm a student at NMC Portsmouth right now, and since the Comfort went out last month, everyone has been saying that we were going to get stationed here after graduation. With an incredible lack of foresight, the C-school I'm in has been sending half of the graduating classes here for months now, so the lab is 90% E-3 and below. NMCP has asked that no students be assigned here for the next six months, so suddenly I actually have a choice in where I go.

My question is, what is the best duty station on the east coast, keeping in mind that I'll probably work at a clinic or hospital, and ships or Marine units are out of the question. I'm from the desert, so I'd like to go further northeast where there is snow and a real fall, but what are/were your favorite assignments?

Navy Thread: Ships are out of the question

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

Not only am I a corpsman, I'm also a lab tech. So, there are only 20 of us total in the fleet. And they're all PO2+, so I'm not going to get a ship. It would be pretty awful from what I'm told, so I'm content working 7-4 at a clinic somewhere.

it was a joke you fuckin autist

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

the best part is that he'll be quietly forced to retire and no junior sailor will ever get a rental car again

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

It's most likely he was abusing the $75 rule, or colluding with others to get authorized things he shouldn't have been. POV mileage is another possibility.

And it's totally fine to get miles for your official travel, so I'm not even sure why you'd care.

Anyway, whatever he was doing was definitely some nickel and dime poo poo, because the estimated amount "could go as high as" $10,000. That's some loving weak-rear end travel related fraud, there.

e: I'd go as far as to say just about everyone who has done a significant amount of TDYs has probably unintentionally cost more than $10,000 in poo poo they shouldn't have been authorized.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

Man I thought junior enlisted really hated chiefs...

It's been my experience that CSMMs always stand CSC, and when they're not in CIC they're down in CSMC dealing with poo poo. I'm not sure why you think the position is complete bullshit (ignorance I guess?) but coordinating maintenance for all of combat systems on an aegis ship isn't exactly a walk in the park, and that's one thing out of many they do. Not to mention that normally csmm's are master chiefs (or I guess senior chiefs based on manning) that normally have a poo poo ton of time in so who cares if they're duty free?

It's funny to me to imagine a bunch of department heads being upset at the old rear end master chief while they get treated like royalty and make triple the money.

he took a joke in the wardroom seriously

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

germskr posted:

It's so easy in DTS to just put "AUTH" and bypass all the flagged items, it's scary. The best part is when someone in admin stops writing their own NAM to come by 6 months later and ask if you have receipts. I'm all for saving receipts but once it goes through DTS and gets signed and stamped PAID, am I really expected to keep it all?

Officially I think you're supposed to be keeping the receipts for 6 years. The reasoning is because until the appropriation that your travel was charged against hits canceled status, records have to be maintained. Be glad it's not procurement poo poo, that used to be current fiscal year plus three, now it's ten.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Have your chance to be heard...if you're a :chiefsay: or O

cool that htey named their poo poo after the kid from the jungle book

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

are all of your pin quals this contentious or is it just the computer nerd one

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can anyone explain to me why the Navy has laser guns, 3D phased array radar systems, real-time tactical data links etc. but all our cruise missiles are subsonic 70s era things?

they spent all their r&d money on warfare pin designs

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

Also, PRT spot checks are real dumb.

this plus the separation authority being handed back to COs is gonna be fun to watch

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

The metal, Navy issue, coffee pot that was installed outside the bridge on my first ship was dented because in a fit of rage the CO, who was pouring coffee at the time, hurled it across the pilot house at the OOD who had made him mad.

did the ood do whatever it was again

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

CMD598 posted:

So anybody know how life is on the Reagan compared to the GW?

well they just finished up an availability on it with probably an enormous amount of work deferred until the next availability so it has that going for it

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

ultrathin is another option but they really sucked the last time I used them and I switched to MoA

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah. Drama I guess. People getting upset over having to mop up their own spilt soda. Dont join the Navy at 37 and most certainty dont get roped into being the class leader or ma.
The punk admitted to it and why. He's not very smart. Honestly I'm not going to do poo poo if nothing more happens but I was curious.

did you tattle because someone flipped you off

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

I was literally standing right by the first class when this happened. I didnt even have to take a step to ask him what thats all about.

I'm not doing anything nor did I ask for advice on what to do but I'm always curious how different aspects of the Navy work and the attitudes of those typically in charge. I pretty much know the answer already "lol navy" but thought id ask anyways. Only got like 16 days left here anyways.

My favorite quote this week would have to be " I dont care about your careers because I'm about to make Chief so go ahead and gently caress up your life" during our safety stand down.

people are assholes, sometimes disrespectful assholes. some guy on restriction in a school is probably pretty fuckin miserable to begin with, as you already covered and has been talked about since. the attitude that "there's no reason to make him any more miserable" isn't unique to the navy, and probably not wrong. the way you told your story it sounded like you ratted the guy out for makin an obscene hand gesture.

I try not to judge but you're almost 40 and if you can't figure out the attitudes of those in charge in a situation like that ... well it explains to me enlisting at 37 anyway I guess

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

To avoid a lengthy carepost: I apologize for my post being confrontational, it wasn't necessary. In this case, the point I think anyone here was making was that you need to evaluate whether it's really worth it. The Navy holds on to people like that well past the point that they, or the individual in question wants to be held onto for a lot of reasons, for better or for worse. Making whatever amount of time they have left more miserable for them probably won't help the Navy, you, or them.

I was CG, not USN, but if you had come to me when I was a first class or I had witnessed the event, I'd likely just ask you if you expected anything different. I'd probably also ask if you had addressed the issue with them first, and if not I'd ask you to do so. If you weren't comfortable with doing so, I could on your behalf - though I'd probably be irritated that a prospective petty officer didn't want to handle their poo poo. I'd also probably try to manipulate your empathy. The guy is on restriction. It could be the end, or beginning of the end of his Navy career. He's likely pretty unhappy about that, and most everything else going on in his life at that point. Life in any branch of the military is not going to always be sunshine and loving lollipops, but there are a LOT of people in all the services that go out of their way to make everyone around them more miserable. The best thing you can usually do for yourself and others is to try not to be one of those people.

I don't understand the nexus to sexual harassment -- has flipping someone the bird now crossed the threshold of general expletive to sexual harassment?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

germskr posted:

Edit:

for the admin gurus out there, if Army lodging was privatized and no longer issues CNAs (says so on the website), am I required to stay on post if lodging is available at the Army lodge or can I extend my booking at this wonderful residence inn I'm in. At least this place has a kitchen. I mean as it is, I'm paying out of pocket until my advance travel request comes in, and I should be entitled to the full per diem rate.

If you have a retarded AO, print out the page that says they don't provide CNAs and attach it as a substantiating record with your lodging receipt. As long as it's within daily max lodging you'll be fine. If your AO is civil service there's a not-insignificant chance that they a.) Don't remember that military people are supposed to use Gov't first, and b.) will not know if it's available at your TDY location.

Lodging through DTS is changing. Gov't Lodging will soon (it was supposed to be Jun 1, but that's changed) be available and CNAs will automatically be generated by DTS. If not available it will shunt you to commercial preferred, followed by FEMA Certified, and then the same thing as the fourth tab on the airfare section.

There's like 6 pilot locations that it's supposed to be happening for first, with gradual expansion to everywhere. Norfolk and Saratoga Springs are the Navy ones, and JBLM is the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

If this makes you angry, there's some light at the end of the tunnel: Civil service will now be forced into Gov't Lodging in the pilot locations meaning availability will be lower and you're more likely to get a CNA. Just wait until last minute to book.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Depends. Is there lots of cigarette butts to pick up? I don't like hunting for trash to fill up my bag.

Honestly I'm considering moving to Washington Seattle area due to cost of living. Bay Area CA is having another housing spike. House next to mine is selling for 650k and it's a smaller foot plan and lot.

if you want to avoid san fran housing issues it's safe to say you should avoid seattle

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Eh. If I sold my house for the same amount as my neighbor and payed off the mortgage I'd pocket over 400k.
That goes a poo poo ton further in the area north of Seattle than anywhere you want to live in the Bay Area.
I kinda see Seattle as a proto-SF. More room to grow and cheaper(compared only to SF). All the military stuff to is plus.

do the research man, there's a real estate bubble forming here and rent prices have gone completely loving nuts anywhere near seattle. I don't even live in or near seattle and it's loving up my property taxes

e: not saying don't come here or anything, just that the housing market is all kinds of loving wacky

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

vrath posted:

So, reference point
Obama opposes cuts to BAH for dual-military families.
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/pay/allowances/2015/06/03/obama-opposes-cuts-bah-dual-families/28406213/

We got to sea lawyering it up at work and the question came up, what is to stop a couple from getting colocated, filing for divorce, getting married at the end of a set of orders, colocating and repeating. Also, claiming the same child as a dependant after the divorce. I mean the kid would live with both of them.

What's the illegality of that?

That article picked a really stupid group of people to use as their focus, since BAH is specifically crafted to pay for 99% of rent and utilities at certain anchor points. Not buy a home. There's a lot of better people and locations to choose to illustrate how BAH can be broken and not enough, two officers banking a non-taxable extra $2,400/mo. isn't the right one. Their situation is actually supporting the Pentagon's point about BAH being wasteful.

Your scheme is probably too complicated for the average servicemember to actually pull off. In addition it looks like they're trying to reduce the BAH rates for members living with other members. So more headache than it'd be worth, but probably nothing really stopping them from doing it. BAH w/ dependents goes to whomever has custody for 51% of the year in the divorce decree, as well. If someone wanted to take it to the extreme you could probably go after them for article 107 or 134, but without an admission of intent to defraud there's probably no way it'd ever stick. You'd also run into issues with residency requirements for divorce in certain states.

As far as her concern about enforcement, there should be some annual certification of dependency status/address. While probably not within the Navy's technical competence or grasp, it wouldn't be difficult to set up a database that tracks where people live. Locally or across the services. Not a good idea, given recent events, but not something that couldn't be done.

A couple years ago I used to run the annual BAH survey which collected a lot of local information and provided the raw data that Runzheimer used to help the Pentagon set BAH rates. There's a lot of factors that go into it, but if people are doing it correctly BAH should be more than enough in most places. I admit that's a really huge assumption.

tl;dr You could get in trouble for all the same stupid reasons you can get in trouble for just about anything in the military, but it probably would be too much work to prove. Additionally it'd be way more work than it'd be worth it in probably 99% of locations where people might try it.

• Locked thread