Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Three Olives posted:

That I agree with, which is what I thought we were talking about but it seems like this whole debate is around Netanyahu, ostensibly a serious world leader, actually believes Iran would nuke Israel. That is absurd, can we not have the serious discussion of nuclear proliferation politics without entertaining this non-sense. Either Netanyahu actually believes this against all reason and as such shouldn't be taken seriously or he is playing some insane farce based on everyone else being idiots, neither is helpful.

He has an election coming up and polls suggest he might not win a plurality (first dibs to cobble a coalition together) and I think that's really what this is about.

Khameini wants to destroy Israel through referendum apparently

worked for California :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Huh, I heard about it from a friend who posted it was a journal article. Jeff lied, posts died. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, it is bullshit that she did this and maybe illegal, but every post watergate politician does it. They have to record and preserve official correspondence so they do their work through unofficial channels so there is less of a record. Palin had her yahoo account hacked because it was one of many she was doing business out of, Jeb Bush's email dump the other week was from his Jeb.org account because he ran some governor business out of there, and there have been so many other that have come out like that the past few years I've lost count.

This story has been ready to roll for years though in preparation for when the Clinton campaign for going. Begs the question who benefits from it coming out now.

For my part it doesn't do much more than reinforce what I didn't like about the Clintons already, but I still hate the GOP more.

iirc Sarah Palin had her email account 'hacked" because her security question was something like "where are you from" and a 4chan poster guessed "Wasilla"

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

Rand Paul is loving done in my book after signing off on that letter to Iran.

Are there any candidates that don't want to bomb other countries?

Haha no

Also lol that he wasn't "done in [your] book" before

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Conservatives are dumb as hell lol. They are retarded. They think the bad thing and we think the good thing.

:agreed:

edit: ^^^^ Here is the brief

http://emarket.franchise.org/ComplaintIFASeattle.pdf

Small businesses are a suspect class. Lol.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 11, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:psyduck:

The law has a slower phase-in for small businesses, apparently.

Yes and that is discriminatory against noted discrete and insular minority; small businesses

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

Fun fact: the Democrat who called Cotton "Tehran Tom" was Jared Polis of Colorado, who was also the subject of that Reason Magazine cover story on gamer culture. Polis unwinds by playing Diablo and Civ V.

Jared Polis is good, one of the few openly gay members of Congress and represents the hippie wasteland of Boulder

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

There are hundreds of regulations that apply to businesses based on their size. Their argument makes no sense :psyduck:

Their argument contradicts approximately 80 years of Supreme Court jurisprudence, at least wrt 14th Amendment (the rest is wrong too though). This is literally the definition of ordinary social and economic regulation, which is not subject to invalidation on Fourteenth Amendment grounds.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm picturing him as Buck Strickland now.

"I like to campaign, I like to get high and I don't like to drive."

Polis is basically a goon. He is a fat nerd that loves videogames, is very left (relative to congress), and says "i'm gay"

He is Good People though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFgrB2Wmh5s

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Hello puppet master defense, my old friend

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

In case you're curious, there's been no agreement on this yet. McConnell filed for cloture this afternoon, with a 60-threshold vote scheduled for Tuesday (there will be some executive branch confirmation votes on Monday), but the Senate stands adjourned.

So far only five bills have become law in the 114th Congress.

I'll give Congress this, no one voted against honoring the Selma marchers or preventing veteran suicides.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

You mean the vet anti-suicide bill that would have passed last session had one senator not blocked it?

Was the senator Ted Cruz

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Also immigrant and alien have distinct meanings in the immigration code, immigrant being a subset of alien

edit: The rest of the bill is pro-child murder though, so thumbs up nativists

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Yay! Joe Biden gets to do something other than touching up women and girls!

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

greatn posted:

That's kind of lovely. Don't punish the people of a state because they have an rear end in a top hat idiot governor.

I don't really see what's wrong with it. If a state is not addressing climate change in disaster preparedness, then they're not really preparing for disaster; they're likely laundering federal money to contractors on meaningless bullshit projects.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Thanks to conservative magic (budget cuts), state revenues are down. Walker is savaging the state college budget, but its likely he'll not pay the state debts on time to buy him an extra month or three.

In exchange, the debt grows.

He's basically pullling the 'check's in the mail bro!' Defense.

Walker is skipping on servicing debt that allows missed payments without causing a credit event for whatever reason so, in line with conservative Blame the Victim ideology, it's the creditors own fault for agreeing to this poo poo

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

In what sounds like the absolute weakest way possible. After they solicit input from the very people they're intended to regulate, of course. And then tweak the proposed rules accordingly because they fear "regulatory overreach". Sure, it's something, I'll give them that, but it looks more like PR regulation to me.

That's actually a legal requirement for rule making, and it's not that weak of a rule given personnel constraints, FINRA actually cooperates with the SEC quite a bit and flags suspicious behavior regularly.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
The Missouri GOP put a bust of Rush Limbaugh in the state capitol, so literally murdering people does not seem that farfetched.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Lol seriously? Well the gently caress Barrel does need to be shut down, so I wish you luck. In either doing that or just fleecing money from people, whichever it is that you intend to do.

I'm guessing Fried Chicken wouldn't post his real name on SA or live in Georgia

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Wow, I really didn't think anything would be done about this until we had another *error* cause the DOW to drop by 5000 points.

They've been working on these rules for at least a year, the SEC is very slow when it comes to rule making and habitually blows statutory deadlines. So if they were waiting for one of those flash crashes it'd be another half decade before a single rule was promulgated.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TheQat posted:

Yeah let's make sure we ask the ones getting regulated if the regulations are ok. that's a sure path to success

my loving god

Guys,

Guys.

Notice and comment rulemaking is literally standard operating procedure for federal agencies. If they don't do it their rules are way more vulnerable to legal challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
When 9/11 happened I immediately knew it was perpetrated by that "beardy Iraqi dude" (much like today, I was dumb) I had read about on the terrorist most wanted list a few nights prior. That is my 9/11 throwback thursday

• Locked thread