Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Porsche Club of America is the largest single marquee car club in the US, I know you poors have them. post yours.

2005 987.1 S

1985.5 944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sigma X posted:

I've got a 2007 987.2. It's got wheels. Yaay.

the 987.2 didnt come out until 2009-2012. 05-08 is the 987.1

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sigma X posted:

Thanks to working 28 hours between Monday and Tuesday, and making that post on about 3.5 hours of sleep. You knew what I meant, though. I have a Cayman. It is yellow. It has a half-dozen problems, half of which are due to Porsche engineering cars to last 5 years and half of which are due to me driving it like racecar. It is decently quick in a straight line and very quick in corners, and a bit boring to drive anywhere except on a track.

oh a 987C ? 5 years? something like 80% of cars ever made are still on the road. Sure that gen has an IMS issue but its easily fixable when you do the clutch. I recommend the direct oil feed option. As it turns out the ones driven like race cars have the least problems. Whats the issues with your car?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sigma X posted:

I'm talking about incidents like the door handles snapping due to heat fatigue after 6 years, door card seals rotting away after 6 years, dash upholstery fading out after 5 years, stretched shifter cables after 6 years, gas cap retaining leash snapping after 5 years, power steering pump failure, and general non-durability of items not critical to "this car moves". The IMS seal issue, and Porsche's non-acknowledgement of it, is an entire other issue on its own, and one I haven't run into, happily. The engine itself has been worry-free other than the occasional belch of smoke on startup.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the rubberized coating on the radio and climate control switches coming off like a strippers' clothes at a bachelor party.

Wow, I have not had those issues. I also keep it under cover when a garage is not available. Shifter cables are a known issue, get the full metal racing ones, they never break. I swapped the gas cap when i bought it for the aluminum one. Never heard about handles snapping or interior fading. Did you tint the windows? smoke at startup is due to oil left from short drives and is perfectly normal. I have 58k miles on mine

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

my 987.1 S

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McMadCow posted:

I'm a man of my word. :colbert:

'99 2.5 with 92K on the clock. It's pretty much the best condition car I came across, and all the maintenance is up to the minute, including the retrofitted IMS.

how much was it? Just helped one of my guys pick up a 00' base out in hawaii for $7k with 62k on the clock

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Admirable Gusto posted:

I recommend you read this if you haven't already: http://www.euroquipe.com/misc/intermediate-shaft-upgrade-retrofit-kits.php

TLDR: good things to do are frequent oil changes, high RPM driving (when the engine is warm), using oils with moly additives (e.g. Liqui Moly 5w40)

I also had my oil tested by Blackstone at every oil change

the best thing to do it to let it detonate and put in a 3.8 carrera turbo motor

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McMadCow posted:

I've owned mine for two days and I've already banged it against the limiter on a mountain run. I'm gonna be a good owner. :3:

during the PCA meet up on sunday I had mine at redline god knows how many times keeping up with the 911's and over 100mph at least 12 times, top speed was 152 that day but ive had it to 190 2 bars bast the redline in the past. its not stock but not too heavilly modded either

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

thechalkoutline posted:

That's a good analogy. I was referring specifically to stories I've heard of people taking a used purchase in and having upgraded IMS bearings put in before any issues occurred. I was just curious how much longer the improved bearings lasted, I assumed much longer otherwise why go through the prohibitive cost of replacing it in the first place...?

the real solution is to put in the "ims solution" that removes the baring completely and puts in an oil fed system to keep it lubricated

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McMadCow posted:

I just did a de-snorkel on the Boxster and put in a K&N air filter. The intake noise is amazing now, even without loading. Best $50 upgrade ever.

pics now!

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-porsche-boxster-spyder-photos-and-info-news

I may have to sell a kidney soon...

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
question now is do I go fabspeed,n/a intake and exhaust or TPC racing turbo?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

blk posted:

I always heard it was 10k either way.

A buddy of mine offered to sell me his 996 Targa sometime in the next year (he wants to buy a 308). I'm not crazy about 996 styling and I know the Targa is heavier and floppier, but this may be a cheap way to try on a 911 and see how I feel about it. I also kind of like huge glass roofs since I crave daylight, even on gloomy/rainy days. He's the second owner and has taken good care of it, but it does have 175k miles. Clutch, flywheel and some exhaust stuff was recently replaced. AFAIK it has no issues (I don't know if it has the roof creak). IMS/RMS have not been replaced. At this mileage it seems unlikely that they suddenly would, but who knows.

Anyways - 175k miles on a cheapish 996 - too much?

996 never made a targa?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

They couldn't get the car tuned properly, blamed parts on a car with 400mi on it / threw parts at it, still couldn't make the advertised power by over 100whp, etc. Massively (2+ months) over the initial time budget. It ended up going to a shop in California that tuned it.

Perhaps they are different now, this was years ago.

holy gently caress, ill stick with fabspeed

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

picked up a 911 997.1 6 spd, sports chrono, PCM navi, shes got it all, full fabspeed intake, headers, exhaust, cat bypass x pipe, makes 390 HP, and it isnt even an S model.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Tremek posted:

I almost bought another pcar but bought a BMW instead because it's faster. :( I'm a little sad about this.

clearly the p car was only a early base boxster, bmw's are slow as poo poo

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

dema posted:

Love it. Real mean sounding under acceleration but zero droning on the freeway.

super ugly and no weight reduction, cant belive anyone buys this stuff over fabspeed and soul performance

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

lol, fabspeed poo poo is literally 5-10x the price, are you loving high

Literally have 3 cars with full fabspeed systems. 987S, 997,981 Spyder

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Yeah....don't replace modern (even modern-ish) porsche incandescents with LEDs, ever. It simply doesn't work with their bulb out detection.

I had to completely isolate my trailer lights/plug from the normal wiring of the trailer plug on the cayenne when I got a trailer with LEDs because it would freak out and throw errors every time.

I have literally updated all 3 of my near modern porsches with LED's inside and out. its fine, you just have to use the right ones. you can order them from suncoast porsche at https://www.suncoastparts.com

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
I couldnt afford 5, back down to 2.

SOLD SOLD SOLD

2004 Cayenne Turbo
2005 Boxster S
2006 Carrera C2

Still have
2014 Panamera Turbo S Executive
2016 981 Spyder.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's on my to do list for today

As the OP, name should stay

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

slidebite posted:

One of the rare times "invested" on a CL ad might actually be appropriate.

I drove a speedster years ago on maui on the road to hana, absolute PoS, I cant believe all the people who go nuts over 356's, it was a bathtub with a lawnmower engine attached. I'll take even a 986 base over it any day.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

This all happened when 70s/80s 911s got stupid expensive. It was the next "budget" choice the classic porsche crowd moved on to.

by soon to be brother in law asked me to find him a green 964.... I did, it was 100k miles 1992 C2 asking 300k..... called him an idiot and told him to buy a ferrari if he has that kinda cash

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

Yeah, that's the main problem. Just wanting manual cuts down the list to very few candidates.

I once bought a Panamera Turbo S Executive out of Newport RI and shipped it to Hawaii. Use Reliable carriers. They have specialized enclosed trailers. If you want X color, X options, X transmission, you will be looking nation wide, and even then you arent going to find the car you exactly want. If you dont buy and spec it brand new, itll never be to your specs. Porsche said a few years ago that almost no 2 sports cars are alike through the production run given their wide options. Going to have to settle in some manner. For example my Spyder is missing PCCB's and carbon buckets, but it was the only blue one for sale.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

MrLogan posted:

The used stuff costs more than MSRP.

must be looking at the in demand stuff, always has.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I went to test drive a basic PDK boxster this chilly morning. It was pretty fun. I didn't have launch control trouble this time, probably because I floored it less.

I called the dealer with the turquoise porsche and might do a fly-n-ride next week after they service it (they just got it) etc. I just want to make sure they will proved CPO warranty.

Unfortunately he is a technophobe.

pdk is fine for daily driving it, but for a weekend car you want a 6 speed. I'd honestly not recommend a boxster as a daily. A macan/ cayenne/ panamera is a much better daily. Ive dailied my boxster and 911 in the past, was definitely suffering for it. They just ride too rough and are too small , and have too much road noise for that kind of driving. Then again, I also prefer my LS460 to my Panamera Turbo S Executive for daily driving. YMMV

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

It felt about as comfy as my challenger. I don't think you could convince me to get a 4 seater. The turquoise porsche I am referring to is this one
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest
The Miami blue one manual boxster 718 GTS a few folks above are excited about.

unfortunately thats a turbo 4 cyl gts, not "the real gts" with the N/A 4.0L. its also almost 70k with 40k miles.

Spend the extra 15-20k for a 2016 Spyder. They all have way lower miles. The 3.8 sounds better than the 4.0 anyways, if you are concerned about android auto or apple carplay you are buying the wrong car anyways.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...pyder&zip=92028

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

Garage is too narrow, too short. :smithicide:

Amen. I used to have a 987 Boxster Spyder with the tent roof. On the weekend, driving through winding country roads, it was awesome. On Friday mornings at 630am it was awesome on the drive to work (especially during COVID). Driving home, sitting in the carbon bucket seats, rowing through the gears in bumper to bumper summer rush hour traffic on the Schuylkill was less awesome.

Yeah I had a 05 987S (RS370 package) and then a 06 997 C2, Great on the weekends, god awful sitting in traffic. Both 6mt's. Still have my 16 spyder and my 14 Panamera TSE. I did swap the 997 for a 14 LS460, great decision imo. The 16 Spyder was way more car than the 997 anyways. I also sold my 04 Cayenne Turbo, but that thing was a maintenance nightmare and just had to go.

Arione fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2023

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

morothar posted:

We keep being tempted, but I can’t shake the feeling that the Taycan will go obsolete much faster than a comparably-priced 911 (cheapest within 500 miles is ~$85K, that’s 991.1/2 money).

From test-sitting one, the Tacan is super-cool.

My dealer service manager told me to never ever buy a taycan, apparently they are in all the time for various reasons.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I don't care at all about engine sound as long as it's not too loud. I don't want to spend 15-20 more if I can help it, but I will take a look. I am still in shock they don't wanna sell me the thing. Porsche finder has a reserve button for it and everything.

*taps the thread title*

Yeah that one is weird, but maybe they want the residual maintenance. That being said I wouldnt buy a turbo 718 period. The driving experience just isnt the same and they dont handle nearly as well on tight back roads. Had an S several times as a loaner and drove the same roads that I would when I had my 987S and 981Spyder in socal, they are just miles apart, the turbo 4 cyl is all or nothing, completely unable to finesse the throttle in the corners.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

knox_harrington posted:

Mine is coming up to 3 years old, warranty is 4 years and... 8 I think for the battery. It hasn't been totally problem free with a couple of high voltage heaters breaking, but I don't see any range reduction or other signs of the battery loving up.

I hadn't really planned this far ahead when I got it but probably I'll just keep it for the next few years. Great car for my use case.

lol

e: my impression is that dealers stand to make a lot less from servicing electric cars

Dunno, definately not doing oil changes and tranny flushes, but you still have brakes, rotors, tires, module problems, etc

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

Amen

Got to ride in a 2024 992 C4S Cabriolet today. That is a sick car. Totally different world to my 986.

The ventilated seats are magnificent and I'm idly curious if I could acquire a set for my little boxster...

Yeah, the 987.2 ventilated seats "should" bolt up, but will require extensive electrical work to get them online. On a 987 you can just swap out the poverty covers for the actual buttons, on a 986 youll have to install a switch or something. I'd do significant research and find a shop to do it before you pull the trigger, the seats might cost as much as the 986 as well

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Buy a hat from 000 magazine. Porsche snobs will know

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I will steal a copy of the magazine and make a hat out of it. And wear these sunglasses to the next P club meeting:

Everyone needs a pair of PD sunglasses. 000 is 1k a year for the leather bound edition. Only poors buy the $275 paper edition

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

My poor wife bought me a subscription to the poor version for Christmas. Not renewing. Buy the individual issues that you find interesting. Also they go on sale.

I did the leather edition for 6 years, havnt read any of them, wife canceled it.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I went on a sweet 3hr ride around some local twisties (SR 503) after work. This was incredible. The car can trivially do 47 in a 25 turn or 35 in 15 like it's nothing.

Yep, boxster given the right spec is 1000% better than any 911. They are fat and handle poorly imo. Get a 3.8 or a 4.0 in a boxster and its the single most exotic car; performance wise under 300k

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

knox_harrington posted:

I want to try an Emira.

lotus are for people who dont know caymans exist.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

Nah. Lotuses are for people who have had Caymans and are looking for something different/new.

Or people who get sick of being on a GT4RS waiting list.

I mean, if you are on a gt4 waiting list you likely arent getting one. The ones here all had prospective preorders years in advance before it was even announced. yet again, the 3 918 owners snatched them up here as part of their special program.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

SlapActionJackson posted:

A buddy here was politely but firmly told he'd be considered for a GT4 RS allocation when he had a 7-figure purchase history with the dealership.

sounds accurate. Porsche has never made cooler cars than the last 10 years. However its never been harder to obtain those cars. Anything drool worthy goes to people with absolute gently caress you money who buy them as investments. You're better off doing something with techart, ruf, or gemballa at this point than trying to buy your way into potential future LE models. Especially with everything going electric anyways, if you aren't in the cool kids club now you're hosed for life, these rare models are NEVER going to depreciate to an affordable level, I expect quite the opposite. So GT3, GT4 , Spyder, and Turbo S are all aready hard to get allocations for if you arent already a customer. GT3 RS, 911R, 911S/T, 911 Dakar, 911 Speedster, 911 Sport Classic.... gently caress off and forget about it. For the aftermarket money you should just buy an aventador/diablo/murcielago or something similar from ferrari or mclaren while you still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

Big agreed on the loyalty points thing. Porsche is absolutely happy with the situation, however.

Also, it appears my soft top is borked, so there's this weekend 986 car chores.

unfortunately Porsche seems happy to underproduce its real cars while cranking out drat macans and taycans. I mean sure they sell, but I'd bet if they produced the gt3 / gt4 rs in any real numbers they would sell out as well. But I guess the rare cars keeps the buzz up and helps them sell the housewife cars as well.