Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Desperado Bones posted:

Wait, you cook the rice with the avocados? :psyduck: YOU SINNERS.

I think its added afterwards.

But yeah I've made halfassed burrito bowls with rice and meat and assorted veggies...adding cheese/sour cream is what turns it into unrecognizable slop. Tastes great though! Add a bit of cumin/chili powder and some sriracha sauce and it's some seriously tasty Shame Food.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ErIog posted:

Regular tortilla chips or corn chips are fine. I love nachos. However, nachos made with "Doritos" taste awful because Doritos tend to be saltier than regular tortilla chips. I also think if you're making nachos then you should probably go for a lower sodium variety of tortilla chip because chances are whatever you're topping the nachos with is going to be salty enough already.

If I'm making nachos I just make my own chips on the spot. Fry up some tortilla triangles in a sauce pan and then squeeze lime juice on them while they're still scalding hot, and add only a little bit of salt. They tend to hold up better than just buying a bag of chips from the store.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

PubicMice posted:

The struggle(plate) is real.

Needs more ketchup. :yum:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Fo3 posted:

Have we got back to Japanese pizza with mayo yet, or Indian curry pizzas?

:stare:

Do they just throw lawn clippings on pizza in Japan or what?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Decrepus posted:

Oh no, mozzarella sticks on a sandwich? Holy poo poo, a 22 mozzarella stick sandwich, a pickle and two strips of bacon, someone call the ambulance!

They're Jalapeno Poppers :ssh:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

What's the deal with people just dumping corn on a plate?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Smoked black turkey looks terrible, but tastes amazing! It will ruin oven-roasted turkey for you forever.

Just don't eat the skin, you'll be face first in the toilet all night. I saw my step-dad uh..."indulge" in the skin. Once. :barf:

Rickycat posted:

honestly that turkey reminds me of the vid from the china.jpg thread where they removed the hair from a pig with tar. i'm not entirely convinced they weren't trying something similar.

Put a turkey an a smoker with a batch of charcoal and wet apple/mesquite wood chips. End result after 5 hours or so is a black skinned bird and a shitload of insanely moist and tasty meat. The main downside is you can't use the carcass for stock, and the skin might as well be Ipecac.

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jul 11, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
They just smoked that black turkey for a bit too long. The meat's still gonna be awesome. Kamodo smokers are great for burning birds. Apple chips are my favorite.

Protip: don't eat the smoked turkey skin or the worst episode of :barf: is in your immediate future. It's delicious and crispy! Seriously though, don't eat it! I can vouch for this personally.

Making stock from the carcass is troublesome. Not worth it imo, just get some bouillon.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

C.P.A.N. posted:

If any part of your cooking method results in :barf: or has to be slathered in sauce then you've hosed up hth

Nah, hickory/apple smoked turkey owns, its just the skin will make you retch later. No idea why. The meat is amazing and doesn't require gravy or juices. The stuffing also gets the smoke flavor in it and tastes 10x better than oven roasted imo

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Peanut butter on saltines is legit though and I'll gut the first man who says otherwise :colbert:

Make a whole stack of saltines into little pb&j cracker sandwiches and you just made a whole mess of stoned people very happy :3:

edit: breakin thread rules

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Jul 18, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Still Fluxing posted:

What's in the tin can? A sausage with whipped cream? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABrSYqiqvzc

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Did someone say gravy? Because I know somebody who's all about gravy.

A BOWL A GRAVY, FOLKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8kTOdanxFI

:nms: for topless fat guy

you're ruining your life

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

cash crab posted:

But wait! There's more!

We need a bingo checklist for this thread.

Low Res [X]
Loose Corn [X]
Hot Dogs, no Bun [X]
Cluttered/Messy Kitchen [X}
WTF Prep Method [X]

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Sort of like "loose meat." Like, does one not assume it is unattached? Is the "loose" property of the corn or meat preparation so important that it should be featured in the title of the dish? It just seems very strange to me.

Its a staple of these "cooked dinner for the bae" meals that there's just gonna be some canned or frozen corn dumped on the plate next to some other culinary abomination.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

People who freak out about 'loose corn' are weirdos who shouldn't be associated with.

Corn is good no matter the state of the cob.

Corn's good and all but it just seems like way too many of these terrible struggle plates just have a pile of loose corn on them. At least use the corn in something like chili or a casserole...anything but just dumping it on a plate.

its probably not that bad:ssh:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

titties posted:

what is wrong with you

There are no chili rules either :colbert:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

RareAcumen posted:

Meeeeeeeeeeee

I like root beer on it's own but I don't really care for ice cream in general.

Maybe this is something more to your liking?

Also root beer floats with french vanilla ice cream is one of the best things, you guys poo poo on me for putting corn and chili but don't like gods gift to dessert beverages :catstare:

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm practically addicted to eating seeds so I totally would.

Also, if you like floats, one up your game and replace the pop with slush instead. Where I work, we call them Screamers.

What about root beer slush?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ErIog posted:

The thing I've learned in my years of learning how to cook, though, is that people are very committed to eating like garbage, and it doesn't matter how easy you try to make it for them to eat better. All they have to loving do is slide their hand a few inches left or right toward the frozen broccoli and it would be like 1000% better.

I hear ya, broccoli's the best. Brussel Sprouts make me want to cry in a corner though.

laughable content:

tribbledirigible posted:

Also, in that last panel is a face of a man who's almost knurd.

That last panel is the best 1000-yard stare ever. We just saw a PTSD case form right before our eyes :smith:

cash crab posted:

This morning I drank straight cream and you guys are labouring under the delusion that my palate is something to be scrutinised under some normal metric

I put heavy cream on honey nut cheerios once when I ran out of milk. It wasn't a good thing.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

cash crab posted:

I don't come with a dowry, but I do come with an extensive knowledge of cheeses and I can even make my own pasta sauce

make this and report back, TIA its actually really good

http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/pasta_with_lemon_vodka_sauce.htm

pic semi-related, shrimp goes well in it. Also add cheese. Always more cheese.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The first time I made homemade pasta sauce for my friends, they stared at me like I was a fakir or something.

"THIS IS BETTER THAN RAGU!" :eng99:

cut up 1 onion
cut up 5 garlic cloves
cut up 10 roma tomatoes
cook onions and garlic in a saute pan with olive oil until onions become translucent
put tomatoes in pan with onions and garlic and stir
add salt
add pepper
add generic italian seasoning to taste
add some lemon juice/brown sugar to taste (brings out the tomato flavor imo)
*optional* splash of red wine, preferably cabernet or pinot noir
add fresh basil leaves near the end

serve over whatever pasta works for you

its literally 5 minutes prep and 20 mins overall cook time :sigh:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

1/2 cup of salt isn't that much for a few gallons of water but you can always back it off. Plus you can rinse off the pasta when you get it into a colander.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

AnonSpore posted:

Gonna try this it looks good.

Make sure to use angel hair pasta or spaghettini. Other pastas just don't feel right with that sauce :smith:

Also do NOT add garlic holy poo poo I did it once and :barf: This is coming from someone who loves garlic. It doesn't work in this. If you find a way great but you've been warned.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Apparently someone had an M&M vending machine sitting around for over ten years. :stonk:

When food degrades into a slurry like that over time that's probably for the best since you know its not TOO laden with mystery chemicals and preservatives.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Neo_Crimson posted:

Who the gently caress puts green beans and corn in chilli?

It's not that bad, honest! :regd09:

I brown up some flour'd 1/2" stew beef for meat (because gently caress using ground beef for chili unless you're slopping beanless chili on hotdogs), add sauteed onions and peppers, kidney and pinto beans, some corn and diced tomatoes. Spice as needed. Water and extra hot until it works. Cook for a while. Eat. Ruin your coworker's Zen the next day.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

bunnyofdoom posted:

(Guess what it is)

Nutraloaf?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

bunnyofdoom posted:

Minarchist gets it!

(TBF: It was intentional AFP from the onion)

Yeeeah :slick:

Nutraloaf is seriously the worst poo poo and should be loving banned yesterday as cruel punishment

e: :lol: soylent is on that page as a "nutritionally complete food"

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Decrepus posted:

You bought a seasoning packet? Throw that away and buy canned veggies.

Tbh, canned veggies work really well in slow cooked chili. Yeah, nothing beats fresh but you can just dump 15 cans of beans and greens into a pot with some water, throw in some chopped onion and garlic and maybe a roasted ham hock and it'll turn out good!

Hey, if we're guessing on what the gently caress a dish is, I made this pan of slop a few years ago:

lidnsya posted:

It really doesn't look that bad, kinda just like a bland meatloaf.

Would (with a large amount of ketchup).

You don't get ketchup with nutraloaf. You get a room temperature loaf that you eat with your hands. 3 times a day. For months.

Basically you'll have some of the hardest psycho killers in prison reduced to tears and begging not to have to eat it. It's that bad.

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Aug 13, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

DarklyDreaming posted:

The sword-and-scale crew also made Nutraloaf and posted a recipe for those who hate themselves enough to try it but don't want to go to jail.

They didn't make it properly.

You gotta blend the mix into a rough slurry and then slowly bake it so everything coalesces into a nice neat loaf but doesn't get the good browning (and flavors!) when you do it at the proper temp. Then you let it sit for a day or so before you feed it to people.

cash crab posted:

Probably good, but it does kind of look like runny... uhm... stuff

It is! (good, that is)

Alaois posted:

i think i see a bell pepper

You did!

It's a badly prepped but still tasty Panang beef

I didn't cut the strips of beef long/thick enough so they got lost in too much sauce :saddowns:

I will always throw a can of corn in my chili because gently caress you dad that's why

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Careful. the jar is...hot :smith:

Chili cheese dip is decent food, okay. Creamed corn on a potato isnt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLn5SCRYWGw

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

pentyne posted:

I love that the major message from the GWS regulars was "gently caress it, make chili you like and want to eat, but your chili recipe is almost certainly poo poo and uses tons of artificial chemicals because you're too lazy to chop garlic or cut an onion"

one day I'll get a granite mortar and pestle and then grind up my whole cumin seeds and grow my own onions and garlic and then roast them under a tropical sun with a harem of beautifully bronzed island girls and it'll be the best chili ever and :jerkbag:

I use fresh onions and garlic and also throw in some lovely dollar store powdered garlic and onion because the taste works well together. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Shameful confession time. I sorta made mininutraloafs for consumption. See, I had this chicken meatball mixture with ground chicken, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and seasoning, and I added fresh sauteed spinach mushrooms and onions to it, then made it into miniloafs and baked it, then frozen them for easy meals. They look like poo poo but they are pretty tasty.

You're missing the point of Nutraloaf. You can make loaves of food that are nutritionally complete..ish and taste fairly okay due to salts and cheeses and spice. Nutraloaf has none of those. It is nothing to aspire to make, ever. If you do decide to go down that dark path, make it for people you hate. Make it for those who you wish to suffer :unsmigghh:

Your chick'ncheese loafs sound pretty good though. I'd eat a few and feel bad about it later.

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Aug 13, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Rickycat posted:

PEACH. MOTHER F***KIN'. PANCAKES haha nice one, guy

*goonlord staggers out of bed at 11:30 AM*

Boy oh boy lets make some :siren:FUCKIN PEACH PANCAKES:siren: <--- no one, ever

I mean they're probably good and all but come on, know your audience. They want recipes for big batches of food that you can just eat twice a day (preferably lukewarm or cold) for a week and it'll keep and not get gross. Chili is good. Pancakes...no.

Goony foods that aren't hard to make a crapload of to secretly eat at 2AM when mom's asleep:

Chili

Stir-frys

Potato cheese broccoli bake

Twice Baked Potatoes

Beef/Chicken Fajitas

Meatloaf

Roast chicken drumsticks

Thats the kind of crap he should be doing. Unless he's got a contract with McCormick or something.

Data Graham posted:

I've eaten at Ted's and fuckin :lol:

Same here, love their commercial

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Aug 13, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

They control the flow of pizza sauce. They control the toppings. They control the oven temperature.

What about the Margherita

No Sauce, yet it is Pizza.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

axolotl farmer posted:

what are you talking about?

margherita is tomato sauce, fresh mozarella and basil leaves. red, white and green like the Italian flag.

I was thinking of the kind without sauce, where its just olive oil on a thin crust with cheese, tomatoes and basil on top :shobon:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

cash crab posted:

VVV: Looks like I am moving to california

e: Wait a loving minute, they have that here. Philly rolls, right?

Nah, here in CA it's fake crab with mayo sauce and some avocado wrapped in a rice/seaweed roll. Cali rolls are good but they sure as poo poo ain't "true" sushi. Good finger food though!

Cream cheese is a thing but its usually some dumbass chinese/thai restaurant gimmick where they put it in the fried wontons and GOD DAMMIT NO I WANT SOME MYSTERY MEAT IN MY WONTONS NOT CHEESE :argh:

edit, content:

NO NO NO :commissar:

Why do they do this? Is cream cheese cheaper than literally bottom of the barrel grade F ground meat spiced halfway to hell and deep fried?

Minarchist has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Aug 18, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

VendaGoat posted:

Philly rolls are loving heaven.
Smoked salmon and cream cheese, :yum:

Why not just do lox and bagels :confused:

*disclaimer: I love cream cheese and use it in cooking but it can stay well away from whatever approximates east Asian cuisine

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Baldbeard posted:

Take ranch flavored chips and dump a packet of beef ramen powder in them -- that's basically what these taste like. At first they are extremely salty and maybe even passable as a snack food, and then they leave a fatty/oily meat residue in your mouth that will ruin your entire afternoon.

They did the same thing with the "cheeseburger" doritos a while back, take basic nacho cheese dorito flavoring and mix it 50/50 with beef ramen flavoring.

I really want to try the yogurt and mint doritos from turkey though :sigh:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Aesop Poprock posted:

Boiling a steak would taste like poo poo. Frying sushi has tasted incredible every time I've had it. You would have to actively ignore that to try and compare the two things.

Boiled beef requires a lot of Worcestershire/fish/hot )or all three, gently caress it) sauce. It *can* be done but it's along the same line of logic of cloning dinosaurs.

Protip, lose the fat, slice it thin, and boil it quick and fast. Pho Tai is how boiled meat should be, if you're just throwing a fat chunk of beef in hot water you may as well piss on the cow's carcass for all the respect you're doing to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

VendaGoat posted:

WHy is it a different color? :stonk:

Its a slice of pizza dunked in some unholy well preserved fry batter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYGWF6qrts

What did you expect?

• Locked thread