Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey, thing that hasn't been mentioned yet that's really noteworthy: the showrunner on Daredevil, at the very least, is Steven S. DeKnight, the creator of Spartacus. And judging by the TV-MA rating on the most recent trailer, they're letting him run wild.

Get loving hype. :getin:

e: Also, yeah, I say a one-week grace period is fair. Probably a good policy for any first-season Netflix show, tbh, a lot of people like to hear general "is this good y/n" impressions before they watch something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

It's a DeKnight show, I'm willing to give it at least four episodes since Spartacus didn't get watchable until the third and didn't get great until the fourth.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mrking posted:

There's no way this can live up to the episode long fight from Banshee is there? :ohdear:

The showrunner is the guy who created Spartacus, so this'll probably be close

Deakul posted:

I don't think anything can ever reach Banshee levels, Strike Back and Spartacus are close.

The showrunner is the guy who created Spartacus, so this'll probably be close

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

osietra posted:

The Punisher seriously needs to have a gender reboot.

Nah, Frank Castle being a dude is... I wouldn't say literally inherent to the character but definitely thematically inherent. He's pretty much a ticking time bomb of toxic masculinity that detonated in the direction of organized crime.

1x01

Huh, a DeKnight show that actually shies away from showing a titty. Never would have guessed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
1x05

Mods namechange to Seņor Foggy Law tia

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wolpertinger posted:

That's the thing with Punisher, though, he doesn't make personal sacrifices to help others, he makes personal sacrifices to hurt others - punisher sometimes ends up rescuing people by killing the people harming them, but that's not his priority or his goal. Oftentimes the punishment is way worse than the crime itself - he doesn't just go after murderers and rapists.

In the MAX run, he pretty much does just go after murderers and rapists.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Svaha posted:

The Punisher was fully intended to be an antagonist when he first appeared in the comics and it's really the only way he could work in a live action show,(witness all the terrible film treatments of him if you need evidence) But because we live in a world where people completely miss the satire in movies like starship troopers and there are gun fetishists who desire a hero of their own, he somehow became a hero himself instead of the satire of vigilantism taken to its logical extreme that he was meant to be.

The Punisher doesn't have to be portrayed as a one-hundred-percent-right hero and is frequently more interesting when he isn't. In Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX, he's only the hero because the villains are far worse, and the comic doesn't just use this as a winking justification for him butchering people, it's actually a serious thing that he's shown frequently wrestling with.

It would be interesting to see him as an antagonist in Daredevil, because he's what Matt doesn't want to become, but that doesn't necessitate making him unsympathetic or discounting him from the protagonist role in the future.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, yeah, also Catholic, they knocked it out of the drat park

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
1x09-10 It would have been way better if Karen had learned and not Foggy. They didn't really do much with it anyways, so it should have been a character who already likes the Devil, avoid the "will they make up or not" wheel-spinning.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dj_clawson posted:

Nah, once Foggy learned in the comics he got to crack wise about it all the time. Whereas Karen, she was dead weight for like, 20 years before she hooked up with Matt, then terrible poo poo happened to her. Also, her showing up to grill Fisk's mom was TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. If someone did that to my grandmother in her nursing home I would never stop punching that person.

very mild 1x13 spoiler

Yeah see if they'd done literally any of Foggy cracking wise about it I would have been okay with it, but he gets butthurt and then once he's un-butthurt it never comes up again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

XboxPants posted:

I mean sure, there's a case to be made that the 1x10 Matt/Foggy will they/won't they drama was cliche and mediocre, but I thought it made a great opportunity to put Matt on trial and examine everything he was doing as a vigilante, ask some very direct and pointed questions about the morality and ethics of it, and give some direct answers, too. It was convenient.

same mild 1x13 spoiler as previous post

But it just went away after that. They didn't go anywhere with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

thrakkorzog posted:

I think the problem with having the Punisher as a protagonist is that in order for it the audience to sympathize with him, then the villains he goes after have to be so absolutely evil that the Punisher is justified in killing them. And then move onto the next horrible example of man's inhumanity to man, then the Punisher kills them, and so on. After a while it just kind of becomes a slog, that's why I gave up on Ennis' Punisher.

I agree thought that he would make a pretty good Daredevil antagonist as the bad guy with some good points who can challenge Matt's ideals.

They don't have to be worse than he is for him to be sympathetic. Really, the only difference between Frank Castle and this Matt Murdock (aside from the obvious) is that Murdock eventually stops punching and leaves a warning, whereas Frank doesn't and leaves a corpse; if Matt can horrifically torture people and still be sympathetic, Frank can shoot people in the face and still be sympathetic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So do we know if DeKnight's sticking around for the rest of the shows? That seems like pretty important info.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Valeyard posted:

You're right, I just can't stand Jeremy Renner

Steve Yun posted:

The real answer is who cares.

Drifter posted:

I think people may have been wondering that only in the same way you wonder if the fish you had last night is responsible for the diarrhea that's dribbling out right now.

I like Jeremy Renner, he's cute and he's a good Hawkeye. :smith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Either that or he just pretends to fumble around for a couple days until he can buy a new one.

e: Also, fairly sure Mrs. Urich has Alzheimer's.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

They really do not say but its end of life stuff

Alzheimer's is very much an end-of-life thing, they mention her having "good, lucid days," and in the hospital scene with Ben she forgets he came in. It's never outright said but they come about as close as possible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybTJ7kUdb4

The blind people narration is seriously really cool, guys

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if the script is just unusually poetic or if they pretty much shat out an audiobook in like 2 days.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fortunately, that doesn't actually narrow it down all that much.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Oh, I'll be so down with some Iron Fist action! Ages me a whole helluva lot, but I've still got a slew of the "Deadly Hands of Kung Fu," large-sized comic magazines Marvel put out a zillion years ago (bought second-hand, mind you) that I've read and re-read more than once.

Love the genre and can't loving wait.

Iron Fist is definitely happening and they seem to be drawing from the more recent Matt Fraction Immortal Iron Fist run (which is utterly fantastic). :getin:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel has the Blade rights.

I hope they can get Sticky Fingaz back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, one thing that our "barriers to season 2" speculation has missed is that the MCU might snatch them up.

I honestly kinda doubt this based on Daredevil's content alone. Unless Marvel is willing to eat a potential PR problem they're probably gonna ghettoize the Defenders shows from the rest of the franchise; putting Daredevil in Infinity War is gonna make kids interested in MCU Daredevil, and when little Timmy sees a head get smashed in with a bowling ball poo poo could very definitely go down.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

How are the rights for Fu Manchu nowadays? Cause if you bring in Shang Chi, MASTER OF KUNG FU, you gotta bring his father too for an awesome showdown.

Good lord, if you think people are getting angry about Iron Fist now, they're gonna go loving nuclear if the show has Literally Fu Manchu in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

The latest Punisher writer was a real piece of crap. I think someone else is getting the book soon, or already has.

Yeah, when you hire a guy from a think-tank whose literal mission statement is "make more right-wing fuckheads" to write a Punisher book you're gonna end up with some boiled nonsense.

Gynovore posted:

Not just DD, it was a sharp parody of mainstream comics in general.

Of course, TMNT went on to become the very thing it was parodying, but by then the creators were too busy drinking gold-plated martinis to care.

I'd... actually say it became the opposite of what it was parodying. It was parodying ultra-grimdark (for the time) stuff like Frank Miller's work, and that's just about the last thing I'd use to describe TMNT as I know it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

moths posted:

The only problem with a Netflix Blade reboot would be that the MCU isn't ready to go full vampires and masquerades.

That said, he'd be a fantastic addition if all the vampire stuff is handled off-screen.

E: Just treat him as a super sword dude with fangs.

Thanos and immortal ninjas are fine, but vampires are a bridge too far?

enraged_camel posted:

Blade sucks.

Hth

Actually he's good

He was bland before Wesley Snipes but those movies rule

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

Zzzz vampires silver swords zzzz

Give me a show that has an interesting and original take on vampires and I'll allow it to be a part of the MCU

the interesting and original part is that the vampires are getting the living poo poo beaten out of them by Blade

like, yeah, vampire poo poo is a dime a dozen, but as far as action vampire stuff, you've basically got... Hellsing, Underworld, and, y'know, Blade. and one of those is anime so nobody cares (even though Hellsing owns)

(I guess Castlevania on Netflix too but that's kinda light on actual vampires, more just assorted weird poo poo)

e: if you desperately want New and Exciting Vampires, Blade's still got you covered there, go watch Blade II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwFSo10TTbQ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a weird feeling they don't have much to worry about with Punisher's reception.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

And yet they hosed him up 3 times and counting.

This Punisher in particular was hands loving down the bright spot of Daredevil s2, and possibly one of the best takes on the character ever. I really doubt the Punisher show will be bad; worst case scenario, everything around Bernthal will kind of suck but he'll still carry it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
TVTropes calls the "right thing, wrong reasons" stripe a classical anti-hero and the inverse a "nineties anti-hero" (as 90s comics basically popularized that usage of "anti-hero").

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zebulon posted:

Guess that magazine scan was faked or something changed. No Punisher today.

It was real, they delayed the drop.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, it worked for Max Payne, so, if that trend follows for Punisher, we might just be alright. :)

Mona Sax is a way, way, way better character than MCU Elektra and you should feel ashamed for even comparing the two. :colbert:

(It's been a minute since I've read Miller's DD run, so I'm not gonna touch the comics version.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm actually replaying this on pc at the moment, and I'd forgotten that there was some publisher mandate to the devs that if you did a special interrogation on a bad guy and he gave up the goods, you then lost points if you finished them off in the drill press/car crusher/electric eel tank etc.

Oh, you, a murderer, told me your buddies were waiting in an ambush next door? Well thank you, off you go.

Yes, very Punisher :thunk:

If you're on PC, I think the uncensor mod gets rid of the point reduction for killing, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Regarding Frank's durability: he's a noir protagonist and action hero. Being able to take shitloads of punishment and keep trucking is kind of a thing for both of those archetypes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It just occurred to me that the way the MCU portrays Frank Castle bites a lot off Lucas Hood from Banshee.

(Not that I'm complaining, because Hood is a loving awesome character, but still.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fartbox posted:

Frank will have found a new wife with kids and then they get shot again, thus starting season two of punisher: MAXIMUM REVENGEANCE

I unironically kind of want this to happen now and have Frank do DOUBLE REVENGE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
as a general rule if a black hero doesn't have electricity powers and isn't Spawn they have "black" in their name

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's absolutely worth drawing attention to but it's not really a unique issue to that character

like, it's kind of loving sad and astounding that Spawn of all characters is probably the most famous black superhero where his race isn't used as a gimmick in any way (and he also doesn't inexplicably have electric powers)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

Are you sure?

I don't really get why Batman glares at him for mentioning Superman? That seems... odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dont even fink about it posted:

Knowing how incestuous Hollywood is, there's a non-zero chance that Red Sparrow is just a re-purposed Black Widow script.

Unless it's a production from one of the Disney branches, this is really unlikely.