Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So picked up an airbrush and compressor by "Creative Air" for under $100 collectively, and it's got a few needles and it's a gravity fed double action airbrush, seems ok, compressor is quiet.

I've watched a few youtubes on how to operate it and clean it and such, and I have some ideas of what else to get with it, but I'm just wanting to run it by you guys who know their stuff about airbrushes.

Looking into getting one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8NI5GA

and I guess I should get some iso to clean, and from research it looks like I can water down my existing paints to thin them, rather than exclusively buy yet more airbrush specific paints.

Any other products you guys'd suggest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

He suggests not to use an airbrush pot, then what do you guys use to hold your airbrush when you don't want to use it for the moment?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lucinice posted:

I bought one of those boxes GW sells with 6 paints and a few models to try and practice painting before I do it one models I want to play with. Today I under coated and based them, it didn't go amazingly.

I am a total noob but I feel like maybe the answer here is you didn't thin your paints enough?

You can always add more layers, you can't (easily) take away paint.

One youtuber I've watched a lot of said that the texture should be like "melted icecream"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Doing a study on CMYK and color theory. Picked up Liquitex acrylic gouache primary yellow, primary blue and quinacridone magenta and using the black/white acrylic I already have. The paints themselves are INSANELY AWESOME, very very matte, and with them I can create basically the entire range of colors. For $11 a bottle ($15 for the magenta) and 2oz per bottle, you also get a poo poo ton of paint. They are definitely worth checking out, especially the black/white since those are in everyone's collection.

Here's what I've been working on with them

I have a lot of various "art" paints that are acrylic right now, but I don't know which ones are worth using on minis and which ones are worth avoiding. Not sure what a "gouache" is. Are Citadel paints soft body or heavy body? High Flow Acrylics by Golden? :thunk:

I also have an airbrush, though I've never used it. Right now I'm working on assembling my 40k guys and have a "corax white" spray can but I eventually hope to just airbrush the base coat indoors and do tricks like zen highlights, since no garage and it's cold out

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Duncan still uses a dry pallet ceramic tile for things like metallics and washes. Which is kind of ideal imho.

I started to notice that metallics seep through the wet palette paper and stain the sponge underneath which stains any new paper I put on it later.

A couple youtubers did a test of this and they found it might stain the sponge but it doesn't mix in with your actual paint

Eediot Jedi posted:

Funnily enough the thing that made me most go "god drat I'm a simpleton" was just watching them lay out the colours they expected to use this session in advance on the wet palette. Acrylic paint instantly drying had completely pruned that branch of thinking.

Squidmar is a good dude and worth listening to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwzych8IKq8

Miniac will make you cringe but he is pretty thorough at showing every step of setting up and using the wet palette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVP469_KJ0

I've watched these, Squidmar is ok, but Miniac seems like someone I'd actively want to hang out with

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I primarily like his way of speaking, and the humor is entertaining. I don't otherwise watch youtube except for music and john oliver or videos of cats, so I don't have any frame of reference otherwise for "youtube personalities" because I don't watch pinkypie or whatever those stupid idiots are. :shrug:

the death metal vocals related to minis helps too because it's catchy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I went back and watched that wet palette video of his that you quoted, it's just poo poo like his insistence on making those awful mouth noises every time he says "Moist" that makes me want to immediately close the video.

This one isn't nearly as egregious as the videos of his I watched about airbrushing when I bought mine last year, but generally from Youtube Tutorials I prefer them more dry and to the point.

I mean, he's clearly doing that on purpose because it riles people up, which is funny to me

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeast posted:

I enjoy Miniac, and mainly because he does have a certain level of personality. He’s not even that good of a painter, but I love the effort that goes into the vids.

Him and Squidmar put out fantastic pieces, in my opinion :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Painted up one of these D&D minis and it was a blast. Painting huge muscly men is something I definitely enjoy way too much.

He looks so excited about 'zerking

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you (to thread) ever go back and do the bases on units later on?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got some goblin girl pathfinder models and holy gently caress they are even tinier than my 40k ones

https://gamegoblins.com/pathfinder-deep-cuts-goblin-female-alchemist-wzk73721/

It's not listed anywhere but they're 20mm bases

It of course shows a painted example, but there's no way you'd get that clarity outside of a 3D model in blender or w/e

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like these are going to be better suited to targeted contrast painting with some basic layering, and calling it good. I haven't taken them out of the box yet since I still need to do my other ones I haven't had time for (what with spring coming and trying to grow herbs/veggies indoors)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

These look great! I use the same metallics and then layers of wash. It looks super great, but I really feel you on making mistakes. I've got an Atlas that I over-drybrushed and I cannot bring myself to fix it.

Edit: The aforementioned mechs

Oh my GOD is that Mechwarrior minis?????

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trying to find a good satin varnish for minis

should I just get this?

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Mecha-Varnish-Painting-Accessories/dp/B074TSFT7V/

I have a cheapo airbrush

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

so no suggestions for satin varnish?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mmm yeah that's probably better than i can do.

I'll be excited to post mine in a week or so, but it probably wont look as good as yours

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Furism posted:

I painted some Necrons. It's my first time so be gentle :) But C&C appreciated nonetheless.

They glow in the dark, which is pretty cool to be honest.

Now my son can proceed and destroy all of them over the week-end.

how did you do the base?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you guys feel about painting the Fallout Wasteland Warfare and A Song of Ice and Fire board games? Has anyone painted those here

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Has anyone used msa varnish with uvls (Matte) for varnishing Miniatures? What about Winsor Newton artist gloss varnish?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a good folding wargaming table? I don't have much room for an actual table all of the time

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i just bought a bunch of 15ml bottles since i figured it'd be a good idea to put the pots into droppers w/ some metal actuators

contrast/shades need 30ml bottles, it seems though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Scandalous posted:

almost there with my first actual full squad

My personal, perhaps unwanted opinion is to put a black border on the base if you don't add any more detail to it. Like, on the edge, would make it pop, I think.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Few questions:

Was reading something on tiktok about using Rustoleum "magnetic primer" and was wondering if anyone had tried that?

I want to go the magnet route and have some boxes but I hear people complain about the strength and wondered if there's a defacto "use 5mm magnets and sheet metal" or something method

for protecting, I got some satin and matte spray, but someone was saying to do gloss and then apply matte over it?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

What are you trying to magnetize? Weapon options or like putting them on a carrying tray?

Tray, not really at the point to do weapons

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I already got some shoeboxes to stick these guys in, so I was hoping to do the sheet metal route

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like the progress image!

cause I'm still a noob (still priming/assembling my collection and been a bit nervous to actually start)

1. what was wrong with the right most one? I can see it's a bit glossy but I assume just not enough layers? seems very dark too. No edge highlights
2. what did you do for bases there? Sand + glue + paint over it then put the model down?
3. is that last base one of the GW official ones? I'm so uncreative when it comes to thinking of what bases to use for units, but I've seen a bunch of tutorials

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's everyone using for making bases? Is there like, a base kit/pack/bundle that's good for starting off of? Like something that contains different dirt/texture styles, skulls, other stuff in one box? or some suggestions for base designs that are easy?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've seen a few things here and there but I think the issue I'm having now is I just have no idea what I want for bases.

I picked up some 32mm Sector Imperialis when I visited my GW store (I don't know of any "hobby stores" in my entire state, besides whatever a LGS stocks up or the literal GW shop) figuring I could use those for a bunch of units but...

I've also thought about what I'd want to do for an entire army and I know myself well enough that I wouldn't want to do The Same Thing™ for an entire army, I'd get bored/annoyed/burnt out. I think instead a compromise would be to do all of one "unit" a specific base type.

Maybe the Necron Warriors have some Neon Green cracked warpstone from freshly waking up, with some glowy crystal bits, maybe another set of them are marching on some untouched grassy world, maybe another they're invading some Guard world in the snow and the HQ units are standing over some dead Space Wolves, idk.

I think going for an entire theme for the entire army is too much. I just don't know how much someone will care if everything matches, cause I know I won't exactly ever make units to fit all of that critera and I can't say I'd exactly care if it did, it's not like I'd be roleplaying with them. (I'm still trying to wink wink nudge nudge my local friends into playing warhammer, since I can trust them to actually be vaccinated)

In any case, these are some good ideas. Mostly I just wanted to understand y'alls thought process, since buying more Sector Imperialis pre-made bases is going to be way too expensive, and creating something cool seems better.

On the topic of Golden, I already have some: https://www.jerrysartarama.com/golden-gel-and-molding-paste-set I got for like :10bux: at a Mardens, which seemed useful but I don't really know how to use it.

Maybe it would be cool to use some of these to help make terrain instead? I have piles of regular (artist) acrylics of various quality, but I feel like if I'm going to work on terrain I should probably get a 3D/Resin printer instead of buying the GW stuff, though it looks nice?

I think at this point I'd just kind of have to do something and if I don't like it to start over.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

After watching dozens of youtube videos, I think I've settled on what I want to do, for at least some of the necrons

I still haven't settled on a color scheme for the necrons, though.

Basically, I was thinking of some like neon colors underneath cracked paint, so it shows through (like that kind of fake-lava look)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJEH4UDro8

But I haven't resolved on a color other than like 90s neon colors:

The other thing I was thinking of is putting some transparent resin crystals on top of this, and painting underneath white to make it more glowy, cause someone said that it made them brighter.

But, I kind of want the crystals to match the color of the cracked earth underneath, as if the area they're on is coming apart and these similarly colored crystals are breaking through. I got some clear crystals, and I assume that I could do some sort of neon-transparent paint to make them glow more, and then maybe cover the crystal afterwards in gloss resin, but I don't know if that would work. I also don't know if I have the right paint even to do that.

Ultimately, this design for Necrons isn't very uncommon it seems, though I haven't seen that particular combo on youtube yet, but I was wondering what people thought of this idea or if they've done it before. I was also thinking of putting some tufts of grass here and there to help sell the planet was normal at some point.

By extension, if I can figure out a way to do this, I could do like, 10 necron warriors this design with a black base and green cracks and green glowy crystals, and another set with sand and rose cracks and rose glowy crystals, etc, which sounds cool and be varied enough to not bore me since I have 2000~ points of necrons to base...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you really need an airbrush vent if you airbrush inside? All the ones online seem to be bigger than half my desk. was looking for one that was maybe 12"x12"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How about bushes/tufts over etsy?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got some 6x2mm magnets but they aren't flush underneath my bases. Should I have gone for 6x3 or will the missing millimeter be taken up by the hot glue?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's what I ended up doing, but without the baking sheet. Took a couple hours but I was able to magnetize the bases of 3000 points of units

I also realized that the only units that needed two or more magnets where the very large models, basically the bikers, and larger models

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 3, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That bones 5 kickstarter seems absolutely insane in terms of volume of minis. I would have been suckered into buying the extra $350 worth of expansions though, those are some good looking models. $470 of models isn't even a lot of money....all things considered....

Too bad I missed out.

How are reaper minis? I see https://www.reapermini.com/search/reapercon2021/latest/01667 but IDK if that's a good value

I really want some cool Goblina miniatures to paint but IDK what's good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Out of curiosity, are there any decent miniature subscription boxes out there? I feel like that'd be perfect gift for someone but I wasn't finding a lot online

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's your favorite metallic paints? I picked up a little bit of Vallejo metallic medium and I guess I'll see how that works out. Oh, and favorite fluorescent paints?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What are some good brushes that are also dirt cheap?

I have some 6 feet under cost brushes and. well, I am realizing it's getting in my way of doing what I want, but, I also am not terribly interested in spending $40 on a single brush. Maybe $40 for a set of brushes, sure. $40 for a single brush seems terribly overpriced.

Any suggestions? I hear good things about 8404 brushes and to just to get #2 and #1 and cheap ones for the rest of it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

https://windriverarts.com/Brushes.htm#Pure_Red_Sable

You want the series 33. Here's where they come from but there's a ban on importing kolinsky sable.

https://www.rosemaryandco.com/pure-kolinsky-pointed

That looks good although, I don't know how I'm going to get it, if there's a ban. I'll look around.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

just to go back to the OP of the question, you do not by any means need a #1 and a #2 brush. a good #2 or even #3 brush with a sharp tip can paint just as fine detail as a smaller brush. you could maybe pick up a 0 or 00 for the specific case of having to paint something in a really tight squeeze like getting to a space marine’s chest eagle behind their gun or something. but imo buying a 1 and a 2 is going to leave you with a 1 you have no use for

I was just going off some websites I was reading, I felt like I needed some needle point brushes to get the details I wanted for necron Warriors. What a massive pain to paint behind their weapons. I can see why people do sub assembly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'd say use a toothbrush and elbow grease, electric toothbrush might snap spindly pieces