Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, I purchased warhammer 40k kill team recruit edition, I’m thinking ahead for how I want to paint to paint the miniatures, the box features 10 Ork Kommandos and 10 Veteran Krieg Guardsmen.

I want to try going full Bad Moonz or Death skulls for the Orks. Something wierd and vibrant accents like that. The black and yellow or black and blue are very appealing to me and I don’t want to go with the typical red of the blood axe and angry sunz.

For the guardsmen I’ll propaply go for a mix of French-German WW1 grit with maybe one of their side pauldrons being something bright like a copper or silver to denote rank and role.

My question is, is there a good resource to look up color schemes and designs? Something just to jog my thinking, thanks.

Also I might want to add bits and bobs to my guardsmen like aquilas, ribbons and maybe war trophies, does GW or others sell small stuff like that?

Also I want to make my melee guardsmen and choppa orks look like they’ve Just sliced through 20 foes, how do I add dried blood spatter effects in their blade and clothes in a decent way?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I bought a GW 40k painter starter set, a Vallejo fantasy 16 color set for half off, like this I think I have a good variety of colors without breaking the bank. Very excited.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I'm not the most knowledgeable about GWs current ecosystem, but if I give a half assed answer it'll bring the question onto the current page, and someone who is will correct anything I get wrong, so...

I'm not aware of any one-and-done paint scheme resource for 40K. They have an app but I've heard its super super limited. I have to be captain obvious here and say: Google image search. When I'm stuck for a colour scheme for a figure, I just google the figures name (and game system if its a generic name), and almost always find something I can use for inspiration or at the very least flat out rip off. Googling "40K bad moons" brings you up a plethora of orks in yellow and black, and who knows you might find your one stop shop in there somewhere. There are various fan wikis and so on that will doubtless show you a decent selection of iconography and designs that have been used for a faction.

As far as I know, GW doesnt really sell bits (the generic term for spare weapons, heads, arms, decorative cruft). They have upgrade packs for certain factions that have for example a bunch of blood angels things in so you can make your generic marines seem more blood angelly, but my gut says theres a good chance they only do those for space marines because GW. If you have any friends who are also into the hobby you can probably beg or swap some bits off them (You're going to end up with spare heads and arms you dont need, so are they so they can have a couple of ork heads if you get some of their marine heads for example). You can also buy bits off ebay, there is an entire cottage industry of people who buy GW boxes and immediately part them out on ebay. Handy if you need something specific. Also people just sell their entire bits box in one go which can be a good way of getting a variety of bits quickly. Do look at the picture before bidding though, and have a think about what bits you see you'll use vs how many space marine arms and shoulder pads there are.

There are also various third party sellers who sell after market bits for 40K. People like Kromlech, they could be worth checking out. Especially if you want things that GW should have made but unexpectedly didnt, or that only come 1 per sprue of troops when you want 7. And thats not even getting into STLs/3D printing.

Someone already gave a recipe for blood spatter, but I will say if you want fresh blood easily, GWs "Blood For the Blood God" paint is perfectly decent. Its a special effect paint, you put it on last after all the other paint (and varnish, the shine is part of the effect). You can use a brush (which I'd tend to do on weapons) or the toothbrush method already mentioned for spatter. Dried blood you just gotta paint on yourself, get a reddish-brown paint.

Thanks man! Very helpful!

I’ll come up with some color schemes on photoshop and post pictures of it, let’s see!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I need to paint my Nachmund terrain this week- is there a hardware store silver/metal spray paint that would work well, or am I doomed to get an overpriced can of leadbelcher from GW?

Isn’t any silver paint spray good? You don’t need to get a GW spray can.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Oh my god I just realized that with the Leagues of Votann having AI robots as equal partners you can draw cute digital faces on their dome helmets!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey guys quick question how do I remove paint from a plastic model/mini in a nice simple way? I botched an attempt to paint a model I bought a while ago but now that I'm getting a new paint set and looking at tutorials I want to take another shot at it. thanks.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Slyphic posted:

Soak in Simple Green / Detol and scrub with a toothbrush. But if this is your first model, don't. You never strip your first

Sadly I’m going to have to because despite it being my ‘first’ in a while it’s also an ‘only’, it’s a showpiece Nausicaa valley of the wind model that I stupidly went in blind for, it’s not even finished, now that I’m learning how to paint minis for real I owe it to myself to re-do it so i can display it proudly.

Also what’s simple green is that dish soap.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

xpost from 40k, did a lot of things for the first time on this model and am happy with how it came out.

Woooowwwww that rules!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

finished a unit of 10mm halflings:

i also made a city tile for my terrain hexes project. the brickwork is printed on cardstock. i added grass and the brick trim

Woooooow this is awesome lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

This is going to be me when my kill team box arrives:-

https://twitter.com/bonesdrawstuff/status/1583815699218452485?s=46&t=uj3okB4zf-Tz4rYh4QSkXQ

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

WIP of the next group of gellerpox

this is literally the exact painting scheme I had in my head for the character for when my gellerpox arrives

can you please pretty please give us a quick run down of the colors and process you did for this mini? I want to copy this design please!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Its a lot of colors. And a lot of haphazard wet blending. You can punch up some of the highlights afterward but it's already so obnoxiously colored that I didn't think it needed any more

Prime black. Wet blend a bright blue and bright magenta on the model to make zones of highlight and shadow. Then do a zenithal drybrush of zandri dust, ice yellow, white as made famous in the SlapChop videos. Goal of this stage is to emulate the way craft world studio shades their stuff while having a platform to use contrast paints over. The magenta/purple will mix with the further contrast paints and make interesting warm shadows while the blue/purple will make shadows in the highlights that are cold and still contrasting.

Skin is just straight plaguebearer flesh. All the bright areas are a wet blend of various contrast paints: luxion purple, kroxigar scales, aeldari emerald, vulpus pink, terradon turquoise. To make the boils and wounds look inflamed I use scale 75 instant paint Dragons Blood applied lightly or targor rage shade applied lightly. The corpulent skin on the guy tucked in the abdomen is just that blood color then some light layers of AK buff and then a really subtle highlight of Vallejo nocturna pale flesh. Tentacles on the face are doomfire magenta thinned with contrast medium. The hood was originally leviadon blue thinned with contrast medium but I didn't like that so I covered it with black templar and manually highlighted the leather with some blues. The orange fish is just straight magmadroth flame. The bright green is just striking scorpion green. That didn't come out bright enough on the head horn so I highlighted with livery green and ice yellow.

Overall it's just sorta winging it and having fun making something out of a coral reef. I've been trying to make super bright models recently and if you actually read back in the thread you can see the rest of these guys.

Here's the initial step

Here's a wip once I got the tentacles done

Here's a nurgling covered in magenta and zenithal drybrush prepped

Another dude with the same idea

The two paints I undercoated with

Holy poo poo thank you so so much!!! I’ll follow this guide and post the results!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey guys quick question my kill team box set will arrive to me a couple weeks before the paints I bought will, is it alright if I assemble both factions before painting so I can start playing the game and learning its rules or am I making my painting much harder for myself if I pre-assemble them fully before painting?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Personally, i paint assembled. But thats going to be an ask ten people get 10 answers kind of question.

Edit: without gluing riders to vehicles and big pieces that would make it difficult to paint, such as the slab shield.

For reference this will be what I’’ll be assembling

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/kill-team-starter-set-2022-eng

The veteran krieg and kommandos

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey guys, while I'm waiting for my kill team box to arrive, I'm thinking up a design for my incoming kriegs, I want to try and do something a little different than the designs that's on the box, I'm thinking of incorporating arabian-ottoman armor, with black-brown main colors and gold trims, with some 'hand and eye of fatima' blue accents to make the characters pop, I'm not sure if I'm on the right path, any suggestions?

here is a quick photoshop of what I'm thinking:-

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

moths posted:

I'd avoid the hand and eye symbol just based on it being a mixture of appropriation and a real-world reference, but otherwise that's a cool idea.

But I’m arab and Muslim, how is it appropriation? Also the eye/hand of Fatima isn’t a religious thing like a cross it’s a cultural superstition/item that has a nice blue tone I think would be interesting to incorporate. I can easily see the concept being carried on to a 40k faction but more imperial focused, I don’t think it’s appropriation or something cringe like someone putting a cross or something.

Also I’m not super wedded to the specific hand/eye of Fatima I’m just looking for ways to incorporate a nice blue into the design to make it more interesting, I could just go for a drab blue or brown design like on the box but I’m trying to add more flavor to the design and make it more eye catching with elements people might not seen before.

Maybe I can make the pupil into a skull! That might might it more imperial! I’ll give it a shot

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

He's trying to evoke real world accents my dude I don't think avoiding references is a goal here

edit I don't want to turn the mini painting thread into a culture war front but I'd strongly push back against the use of "appropriation" here. I have a hard time seeing how freehanding that icon onto a 2 inch space man decked out in accurate parade colors would be hurtful or disrespectful to anyone. If anything it's a fun and clever twist on protective "seals." It reminds me of the Battletech player in my group who freehanded the katakana for "thunder" on his Japan themed HBK-4G and I'm embarrassed just imagining someone at the table saying "Hey it's really not cool of a white guy like you to appropriate Japanese culture"

Yeah I agree with this! even if you’re a white Christian I think it’s fine to incorporate Islamic or Arabian designs and items or stuff like that as long as you’re not drawing Muhammad or writing the literal Quran on your space stuff lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

moths posted:

Eeeh, I remember people being extremely upset about white hippy women using that particular symbol a few years back.

It's almost always better to leave the real world in the real world. You more commonly see breaking the fourth wall with junk like a Monster Energy imperial knight or painting Deadpool on the side of an x wing, but it's basically the same concept.

Thanks I’ll keep it in mind, I’ll go forward with my idea though, I think you’re making a mountain out of nothing. I might make adjustments but I don’t see any reason why not.

Also taking from the real world is the essence of all fantasy and Sci fi lol the Krieg are literally from the western front of World War One.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Further developing my Krieg color scheme idea, along with what sort of shoulder designs.

I think on photoshop it seems a little too bright and busy but I think with real life and some wash it will look alot more grounded and gritty.

I'm not sure about the guns though, I think they're fine, I'm trying to go for the gold-ivory trims usually found in old arab-ottoman muskets.

what do you guys think?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

You've got three browns on there, looking bright or busy is not going to be a problem.

The blue pops really well. I'd personally encourage you to take the coyote brown parts all the way up to a bright yellow, but on the other hand I would also paint the rifles red.

What’s coyote brown? The pants?

I’ll try some red rifles, let’s see!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

I meant the yellowish brown on the cuffs and the helmet details.

Ohhh that’s my best approximation of what gold would look like with a basic photoshop brush.

I am planning on trying out a metallic gold-bronze for the trims of the guardsman and the rifle. and if that doesn’t work yeah a brighter yellow absolutely!

Thanks for the input!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 28, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Speaking of red guns, I finally finished my Space Wolf kill team:

Really happy how the sergeant's "Xenophase Blade" came out.

Too bright? Too many colours? No such thing! :corsair:

These are awesome! Love the 90s vibe to the painting!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I think this colour scheme looks real good as is. It feels like a real uniform that a military force might adopt, theres a pop of colour with the blue and the tannish yellow-brown, it keeps the lighter colours on the focal points of the model (head and weapons). I'd personally keep the weapon cases a reddish brown (a deep mahogany type colour) and let the gold-ivory trim be the bright colour rather than going with straight up red weapons, but its matter of personal taste.

Thanks dude!

I agree I tried a few red passes on photoshop and it looked too much like a toy, I'll keep it as a mahogany brown and with the ivory-gold trims.

Now to just wait a couple weeks for the paints to arrive and get crackin!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey guys what's a good widely available version of Primer Spray paint I can get that works with the plastic minis? I cant get the Games workshop version because I'll have to order it online and that will cost an arm and a leg to get it shipped here because it's a 'flammable' thing so it will be super expensive and take forever to clear customs.

thanks

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Acrylic car primer from the hardware store is basically the same stuff.

Ok thanks will check for it

Would something like this work?

https://www.saco.sa/en/All-Saco-Cat...eBoCnNQQAvD_BwE

Or this?

https://www.jarir.com/sa-en/marabu-...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 31, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

You'll want a 12 oz. (or 400 ml) can, and acrylic instead of enamel. You probably also don't want a metallic or gloss finish, try searching for "satin" or "flat" instead.

I don't know any of these brands. Maybe this weird brown Krylon spray is good? No idea. "Primer + Paint" seems extra, I'd try to find something that was primer only.

ok lets see what I can find, worst comes to worst I just bite the bullet and order from ArmyPainter and wait a while before it gets here.

Edit :--

just checked with he shipping company it wont be too bad cost wise so I'll just buy the Army Painter Spray cans.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 31, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What if I made my Kommando Nob Terry Bogard from king of fighters and fatal fury?

lol the more I think of it the more appealing the idea is to me, shame there's no hair to make blonde lol.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Silhouette posted:

IZ YOU OKAY?

BUSTA WAAAGH

Count Thrashula posted:

This is incredible

Lol ok then, it's settled, I'm gonna theme the orks as fighting game and shooter game Characters.

The team name will be:-

KINGZ O' FITIN'

The roster will take direct color pallete inspiration from:-

Terry Bogard and king of fighters

Metal slug (Marco and Tarma)

Ikari Warriors

Street fighters

other fighting and shooting games

other names can be:- IKAREE WAAARGHIAZ, METAL SLUGZ.

this will be the team banner, I made it me-self!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ordered some green stuff putty and tools from Army Painter so I can make the hair for my ork kommandos to have fighting game character hair, any advice or tips? anything I should know about working with green stuff?

I will probably do very 'videogame Chunky triangular' clumps of hair to keep things simple for myself.

this way this opens up making hair-accurate characters like Blanka, Marco, Tarma, opens up Eri and Fio, and guile from street fighter too!

I will probably also do Akuma and heihachi mishima now that I can go nutty with hair.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

Greenstuff is pretty tricky to work with and will take some getting used to. Some tips to make your life easier: 1) let the greenstuff cure for about an hour after mixing before working with it. 2) Have plenty of petroleum jelly on hand.

I love the idea of a Guille ork, so hoping you come right!

thanks for the advice!

thanks dude, this rocks!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I live in South Dakota. We don't exactly have a wide array of art stores.

jesus christ god help you, I cant imagine what it must feel like to live in the less famous Dakota.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Funzo posted:

I think this might be my first freehand attempt. Working on some Storm Giants for Kill Team.

edit: of course, now all I see are mistakes and things to neaten up. Looks fine from tabletop distance at least.

Wow those Lightnings look awesome! How did you get them so straight? I'm thinking of using a tiny paper stencil for the shoulders of my krieg when I get around to them to make the edges sharp, any advice?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Floppychop posted:

ND is famous? For what, soul-crushing fracking fields?

Fargo the movie, national parks, Dinosaurs and a couple friends of mine.

I don’t know what any town in South Dakota is.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Captain Ironblood posted:

Painted my first mini EVER.

I learned a ton, used a few different techniques, and really want to just call out of work for the rest of the week and blow through a bunch more.

That looks freakishly good! The eyes especially are genuinely creepy!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Captain Ironblood posted:

I'm just posting now. I screwed this guy up a bit unfortunately. I tried to make handprints with a lil hand I had, but I didn't test the technique and just made big blood blobs instead.

What are you walking about the red blobs look awesome they look like blood blisters!! Keep it it looks great!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Decided to call Battle Brother Fireri of the Fire Lords Chapter finished:

One more Deathwatch Heavy Intercessor and I'll have a full 5 man combat squad! :woop:

Holy poo poo dude you should work for games workshop that’s incredible absolutely submit this to competitions!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey guys I want to start posting pictures of my progress in building and painting my kill team but I'm a little concerned about privacy, whats I good way of making sure my phone photos have their metadata wipes so I can share online?

thanks.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

khazadum posted:

I actually painted this like, maybe a year ago - but I didn't really have anywhere to share it, so I figured I'd drop it in here. It's one of my favorite paint jobs and busts - and was my 2nd bust I painted, and my 2nd attempt at NMM.

If anyone is curious it's "Hajime, Hanzaki Shinobi" by Cobramode.

----
Also on the subject of brushes, split ends, etc - this is part of why I'm always advocating for Rosemary and Co for my friends. To my knowledge they are handmade, and the ones I've gotten have all been packaged in a way where they showed up absolutely pristine. When you're buying Raphael and others that go through distributors and retailers - that chain of ownership/shipping causes too many issues for my taste.

wow that rules! great work dude! if there's one tiny comment I could say is that maybe the values of the head and face are too close together? ifs it's intentional great it's just a little hard to focus on the face given how bright everything else around it is, but it's incredible work!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I'd recommend not using credit cards, debit cards or utility bills as photograph backdrops, maybe use a plain sheet of paper instead.

would a social security card do? I think my units would look dashing next to it and my birth certificate lol.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I also suggest uploading pictures by putting them in a briefcase and leaving them at a bench in a park or putting a roll of microfilm in a cigarette lighter that you then give to a dude in a trenchcoat who comes up to you at the bus station and asks you for a light

lol sounds good, my best friends are Karl Fuchs and the Rosenbergs so I'll send them the stuff at our next meetup.

thanks for the advice, once I take a couple decent photos I'll post them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm halfling sheep riders

all 3 of my halfling units together. what would you call this? a moot muster?

Your Halflings give me life, they’re so adorable and really great looking.