Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Well, y'all said it was okay to post even if you're terrible. Some friends started painting back in april, so in may, I joined them in picking my brushes back up, just for my own mental health. It's been pretty loving great, even if I'm not very good at this.

Finished up a knight today, posed beside Akodo Forscale, the mini I did for my Heroes of Rokugan 5 character. I've been posting everything I paint to my mastodon account, just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Be kinder to yourself. You're better than most stuff I see at the place where I go to play wargames by a long shot.

I went digging back through my mastodon posts and I have come... a long loving way in the past 4-7 months.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

From a great rock on high, the king of beasts surveys his domain. While other great cats were content to ambush birds in their moments of weakness, he had greater ambition. There was much mockery, especially from the birds. They're not laughing anymore.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Where did you get cat-bird-pig??

Turbinosamente posted:

:same: I'd like to know this too please!

I always post links in my mastodon post, if they exist, to the STL for my printed minis, and know a goon who does the printing and supplies my resin crack.

https://mastodon.sandwich.net/@NinjaDebugger/109384307531317648

This one's from Goonmaster Games, they have another sculpt of it, as well. https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-flying-cat-2-127338

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Working on this smug fucker right now, among other things.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

S.J. posted:

What is this. I need it.

Tortle pirate from bite the bullet, I believe. I'll look it up when I'm finished, for my post. Goon friend MollyMetroid last page provided it. Fanatic mini to work on so far.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-tortle-pirate-161973

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 24, 2022

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

This may be the highest quality paint job I have done ever.

Captain Cooper Blueshell, of the Blue Shell Pirates.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-tortle-pirate-161973

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want to know how to do the value sketch as clean as it was prr-contrast or glazing, whichever technique you used.

It's black primer and airbrushed white ink zenithal, that's it Getting a decent quality airbrush made my zenithals look way smoother. The color over it is a combination of standard acrylics (vallejo and reaper, a bit of pro acryl) and AP speedpaints.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The only "problem" I've had is that I come back days later and the paints have separated on the palette but you just swirl most of them back together and it's fine

GSW has a cheap palette but it has a curling issue where the paper they use bleeds more than redgrass' version, which means the metallics bleed through into the sponge (doesn't happen with the redgrass one) and the paper physically curls up at the corners which ticks me off and I don't end up using it.

at warfaire weekend, game envy had donated a shitload of exemplars for people taking classes to use, and goddamn that is a nice one. I have an AP and I think if you're going to spend the money, the exemplar is worth it over AP.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SiKboy posted:

You dont actually need a 3d printer, you can just buy some clear UV curing resin and cure it with a UV light. People use it for jewelry making and stuff, I've got some I use for water effects on bases. You can tint it with inks (I *think* alcohol based rather than water based, but that might depend on the resin.) or just do it clear and paint it with a very thinned contrast or similar?

Idea the second is hot glue, applied in the pattern you want on some parchment paper so you can peel it off when its dried. Either clear and paint with contrasts again or buy one of the coloured hot glue sticks maybe? Maybe better for a fireball type shape than a lighting bolt.

Idea the third is Mod Podge dimensional magic, which is what I used as shallow water before I started using clear UV resin for it. You can tint this with acrylic paints just fine.

as a last ditch thing, buy a Reaper Bones spirit or elemental and carve it up as you like.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Just realized I forgot to post this:

Mini from Epics 'n Stuffs, which MollyMetroid can sell. The sprite and faerie dragon are old reaper bones minis, the only things I had small enough to fit, the whole thing's about the size of a softball.
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-world-turtle-miniature-model-109059

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The yeti explains, once more, even more exasperatedly, that he is a sovereign citizen and not subject to your laws, and demands to know if he is being detained.

Mini by GoonMaster Games: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-yeti-1-129714

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Got this off etsy as padding for another order. Great mini, though. Mammoth Factory.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-manticore-2-229848

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

While I was at Midwest Game Fest, my black friday haul showed up. Ridiculously huge discounts.

DaVinci had their $300 Joyce signature oil palette on sale for $100 when it's normally $300, so I grabbed that, which came with a free 150ml tube of titanium white. Another free tube of titanium white for black friday bs, plus tubes of lamp black, raw umber, and burnt umber.

usa airbrush had a similarly bonkers sale, so for just over $100 that's a bunch of cleaner, a bunch of primer, another airbrush, and some bonus poo poo they had sitting around like mixing cups and neon fabric paint. I have no idea what I'm going to do with neon fabric paint.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Airbrush some kickin' rad T shirts

Alas, my freehand is absolute trash, on top of me not wearing t-shirts. Nobody wants a kickin' rad polo, least of all me.

They're acrylics, though, so theoretically they should work fine on minis, and who can't use neon green, orange, and purple?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Got this guy out of a blind box, but MollyMetroid can sell him. My copy got printed at like 300% or some poo poo, the base is like 2.5 inches across or so.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-ildamos-half-blood-abyss-demon-hero-112755

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Rash Hardbottom of the Blue Shell Pirates springs boldly into action! This frog found a job doing what he loves and will never work a day in his life!

Mini by Artisan Guild: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-bull-gurunda-modular-f-163764

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

If they reduce or eliminate the reactivation on the speed paints I will be honestly sad, you can do some cool poo poo with that.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

This is my first attempt at glazing in flesh, my first time trying to approximate rusted metal... it was a lot. I originally tried to do the flesh but I started with a deep purple ended at a yellowish color and it looked like a zombie, which I didn't want, so it got... THE DIP.

Then, while I was painting it, I somehow broke off the handle of his weapon, didn't notice, and couldn't find it, so I had to improvise a replacement. I do not have a lot of bits, so I grafted a spear on and made up story about it, because every miniature is a story.

Sometimes that story is simple. "Spear isn't smashy enough."

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

What brushes do you guys reccomend? I've been using GW for years and I treat them with loving care, but they always end up frayed and with missing bristles :/

The GW brushes I got at their class were absolute garbage, literally had bristles coming out during the class. Right now I use Games & Gears Pro Studio, some Army Painter brushes, and for synthetics, Princeton Snap. Soonish I should have the giant bundle of sable and wolf brushes from that kickstarter in october, so we'll see how those are. They were at least extremely loving cheap.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is this Rash, Zitz, or Pimple? it looks great

The blurb I gave it was "Zitz Blowhard, tactician of the Blue Shell Pirates! He knows what you're going to do, and he countered it thirty five minutes ago."

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's better to manually add that orangey shade with a glaze and then put in scratchy highlights to simulate wear and tear.

This is the method I use for it. Takes a bit, but damned if it doesn't come out looking pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDdN_ewFgRg

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lumpy posted:

:banjo:

As others have said, it is awesome to read your posts as your enthusiasm is infectious. I have some time off coming up, and I'm going to do a few minis to MAX EFFORT (but most likely :effort:)

Same. My paintening doesn't start until thursday night, but I've already started working on a new tortle from Bite the Bullet and it's going to be another fantastic member of the Blue Shell Pirates.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Muir posted:

You can get there with many (5-10) thin coats painted by hand, I've done it. Probably smoother with an air brush, but then again everything is.

Same, did some lovely color-changing parasols with nothing but a brush.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ashton Blueshell, of the Blue Shell Pirates. Cooper Blueshell's brother has an attention span approximately the equal of the squirrel perched on his arm, but his lantern exists only half in this world and can hide the ship from sight on the oceans of the fey.
Mini by Bite the Bullet: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-olda-the-tortle-druid-161751

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I love turtle

I have good news for you then, friend.

Two more in the pipe (the rest of the set of 5), and the january release from Bite the Bullet has new turtles, too.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

gently caress do i love your work the pastel and pure colors are so awesome

poo poo like this gives me life, friend, especially coming from someone who sculpted Heihachi Mishimork and Morko from Metal Squig.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Ironblood posted:

]

Trying to figure out what my third and fourth schemes will be.

Make one of them monochrome. You can pick the color, but paint only in shades of that color

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday.
I was barely seventeen, and I once killed a boy with a Fender guitar.
I don't remember if it was Telecaster or Stratocaster
But I do remember that it had a heart of chrome, and a voice like a horny angel!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Calhanol posted:

So I got the army painter airbrush starter set for Christmas along with some oil paints for wahses. Sadly though the cheap airbrush I got broke before I could use it and I had it waiting a over a year so the warranty is gone and with how the economy is looking I can't really afford to buy a new one. Is the army painter primer good a a brush on primer?

any primer is, really, when I brush on I end up thinning down a bunch anyway, because you don't need it nearly as thick as the actual brush on primer. That said, you can get a cheap Master airbrush (not good quality, but it works and the companies are happy to just ship you an entire replacement brush if a part breaks or is lost) off amazon for like 40bux, or 70 with an actually decent portable rechargeable compressor. It's not good for any sort of detail work, but for prime, zenithal, basecoat, varnish, it works fine.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

gently caress. In the seven months since I started painting, I have 107 painted minis on my shelf, one more I just finished on the painting table, and another 20 or 30 I gave away at various points, all painted as best I could at the time I did them. Looks like my pottery class approach is working, too, given the progress I can see comparing when I started to where I am now.

The early ones, for the first four months or so, are 99% old reaper bones minis from kickstarter 1 and 2, and they range in size from reaper mouselings, mimics, and familiars (very fuckin small) to the reaper Dragons Don't Share diorama.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I have spent like six hours just on this drat axe. (And this picture isn't even quite finished, I missed two barnacles that I spotted in the pic and fixed afterward, and the bones won't be finished off until I assemble the mini.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I took up painting again in May of this year.

This is my second mini after starting again:

A month later:

Three months later:

Six months later:

It's really odd how it doesn't feel like you're making progress and then you go back to stuff that really wasn't that long ago and the difference is... that.

I had previously done some painting in late high school/early college, when I had no idea what a wash even was and couldn't afford more than a few battlemechs and D&D minis, and a bit of Testor's paint, and then a little bit again after the bones 1 KS, but it fell by the wayside with my health. I finally managed to lose weight and get some surgery, and I started again about a month after that first surgery, and since then have put in an average of at least 2 hours a day. THere were some gaps right after the second surgery and during GenCon, but other than that, two hours a day, minimum.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I have a more rigid version and it works well. I respect that there's LEDs around the magnifying glass so you get a really great look at whatever you need to see, but my hand/eye coordination goes to poo poo if I try to paint that way.

I have a similar one that's on an armature, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09X16JN93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I don't use the magnifier much, mainly just for faces, but a positionable ring shaped LED is top notch good poo poo.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sherbert Hoover posted:

never do eyes

they never look good

Went to a class at warfaire weekend in november, Lyn Stahl gave us a cheat code for eyes. All the way to one side is always valid, your eyes will always look good that way.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Donna Tello is one of the few to survive an attack of the Blue Shell Pirates, just a lucky child who was knocked unconscious in a place they didn't loot thoroughly enough. She's spent her entire life training to hunt them down, and she's almost ready.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

HopperUK posted:

She is beauty, she is grace

Do you ever think about how turtles are very difficult to sex so any of the four teenage mutant ninja turtles could actually have been women and nobody would know, not even splinter? I do.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like this would be a problem easily solved by a single (1) croc shoe

Leatherhead didn't wear shoes, though?

edit: apparently he DID wear shoes in the cartoon, so a croc shoe did not help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Brother Marteau guards the all important crystal fields, but even the holy knights cannot stop the Blue Shell Pirates from taking what they will. They are the only way to obtain the crystals outside the church itself.

Not entirely happy with this guy, especially the cloak, which didn't want to do any sort of cooperating and I just got tired of redoing.